Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Way back when a gbs Trump lol thread was moved to ~the place pretty close by~ I was like sure, never been there but why not, and the content was actually pretty funny for a while before it evolved into a pages - and eventually - years long posting spree with classic posts like "tmurp". Still liked the early times vibe though so I decided to check out other threads, like the ME/Afghanistan one.

While I've at no point been a fan of the Afghanistan operation nor the Iraq war, that thread changed my mind about the posters there pretty quickly and I'd be willing to bet a lot of those posters there are the same ones who occasionally complain about bloodlust here.

I mean, if the thread is still archived go check out the the Afghanistan thread especially from the days when the US left.

A photo of a child being handed over to the marines over a fence? Kidnapping. Cheering and lulz for the gang every time a marine got blewn up by a suicide bomber. The Taliban were literally applauded for things like having such great hair (well, tbf people from the middle east do have great hair by nature!), and the tankies were 100% sure once Taliban took control again and the US gtfo the country would stabilise and women's rights would get better - in fact they already had sources claiming things began improving right away. And look how that has turned out.

I'm not dismissing the fact that the lovely aftermath is in large part a result of a failed operation by a western power. But this thread has nothing on ~the place right next to us, down by the river~ when it comes to "bloodlust". Or depicting anyone as an oppressor or a savior for that matter. That thread in particular went so insane so very willingly and fast and they couldn't have gotten things more wrong re: the taliban government if they tried, just lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

JustCallMeDC posted:

I love technology
Huh? That's not ai generated, that really happened.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Horrorosaurus posted:

Way back when a gbs Trump lol thread was moved to ~the place pretty close by~ I was like sure, never been there but why not, and the content was actually pretty funny for a while before it evolved into a pages - and eventually - years long posting spree with classic posts like "tmurp". Still liked the early times vibe though so I decided to check out other threads, like the ME/Afghanistan one.

While I've at no point been a fan of the Afghanistan operation nor the Iraq war, that thread changed my mind about the posters there pretty quickly and I'd be willing to bet a lot of those posters there are the same ones who occasionally complain about bloodlust here.

I mean, if the thread is still archived go check out the the Afghanistan thread especially from the days when the US left.

A photo of a child being handed over to the marines over a fence? Kidnapping. Cheering and lulz for the gang every time a marine got blewn up by a suicide bomber. The Taliban were literally applauded for things like having such great hair (well, tbf people from the middle east do have great hair by nature!), and the tankies were 100% sure once Taliban took control again and the US gtfo the country would stabilise and women's rights would get better - in fact they already had sources claiming things began improving right away. And look how that has turned out.

I'm not dismissing the fact that the lovely aftermath is in large part a result of a failed operation by a western power. But this thread has nothing on ~the place right next to us, down by the river~ when it comes to "bloodlust". Or depicting anyone as an oppressor or a savior for that matter. That thread in particular went so insane so very willingly and fast and they couldn't have gotten things more wrong re: the taliban government if they tried, just lmao.

a tankie, smashing a never ending supply of dog turds into their own mouth: lmao. just look at all those sheeple eating their human food. only i, thanks to my innate hyper-intelligence, am truly enlightened and superior enough to live the moral praxis that is eating a constant supply of dog poo poo

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

im the

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66589596.amp

drat the city here looks cool and futuristic af

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 23, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:drat:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Imagine being pro-russia in 2023.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Good Sphere posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66589596.amp

drat the city here looks cool and futuristic af

The business district is really new. In a different world, I would have loved to have visited Russia.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

spankmeister posted:

The thing that annoys me the most about these tankie drive by posters is that they invariably have America Main Character Syndrome. Just putting themselves in the center of the world, every single time.

American exceptionalism and to a lesser degree British exceptionalism is a drug that certain parts of the forum like to consume. Well off computer touchers, thousands of miles away from war or the effects of a larger country being bullish towards you past or present. Sitting in an ivory tower without being personally threatened hand waving war is bad. It's a dumb 12 year old debate club arguement.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Eediot Jedi posted:

I've voiced dissenting opinions and questioned things and only got accused of being the vdv cheer squad once. I didn't even get himarsed. :( This trolling stuff is very hard, maybe I should buy everyone bill shorten 40k avatars.

ooh me me

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc-EAQMS2N8

lmao Solovyov is mad

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjykDMbmxc

When you think you are still relevant as a military country but couldn't even drive into down town Kyiv (before NATO helped out).

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Happy 84th anniversary of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, everybody!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I know blood thirst is haram itt but piss thirst has to be fine, right?

https://i.imgur.com/yOCZ6wx.mp4

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

beer_war posted:

Wait! Zoom in on the lapel on the groom and enhance...

I knew it - that's a swastika!

Yet again GBSers post images of people wearing Nazi symbols in this thread without realising! Makes u think

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
country first, piss thirst

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

:wtc:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, that could save you for a couple of days before your kidneys shut down for an excess of concentrated uric acid.
I mean, that man is dying of thirst, how does that even happen in a war like this.
Maybe he's injured and stuck in no man's land, who knows.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Tafferling posted:

Yeah, that could save you for a couple of days before your kidneys shut down for an excess of concentrated uric acid.
I mean, that man is dying of thirst, how does that even happen in a war like this.
Maybe he's injured and stuck in no man's land, who knows.

Skeletonized remains have been found on occasion. I guess if you get hurt and isolated you might not get found for a while.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Beard Dandruff posted:

I know similar points have been made in the past, but whatever here I go. Its pretty funny that everytime someone dares to voice a contrarian opinion here you guys start screeching on and on about it for pages. From what I can tell you guys hate naysayers even more than putin. I've only seen one, maybe two posters in cspam actually voicing support for the invasion, and that was early in the conflict. You people conflate any doubting of Ukraine's ability to win the war, the wests ability and/or willingness to supply them with sufficient arms, and Russia's imminent collapse as being pro invasion. Personally while i think putin is a bad person, and that the invasion was a wrong, I also can't turn a blind eye to our doings in the region over the past 30 odd years. This doesn't mean that i think the us is the only nation on the world stage with any agency, just that we have a great deal of it, and that our past actions increased the chances that a conflict would breakout. Nevermind that there's plenty of ghouls in high places who really wanted this war. Despite being a us citizen I have zero influence on American foreign policy, much less Russia's, and as a result I'm somewhat emotionally detached from this conflict. Sure I take interest in it, but I see the war as being a dirty, lovely, and complex conflict, not some righteous struggle between good and evil. There's just no nuance here, its just never ending "groveresque" cheerleading of some dumb war that everyone is supposed to be onboard with. Also I can't believe you dinguses still blame russia for trumps 2016 victory.

I've been dealing with poo poo, but lol.

Beard Dandruff posted:

Despite being a us citizen I have zero influence on American foreign policy, much less Russia's, and as a result I'm somewhat emotionally detached from this conflict.

I don't care if it's a few pages back, this is the most bitchmade, self-centered post in a while. "I feel disconnected from this war but you guys are being scary!"

Absolute pussy of a human being.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mobby_6kl posted:

Better this than dying of dehydration.

War sucks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Molothecat posted:

I don't care if it's a few pages back, this is the most bitchmade, self-centered post in a while. "I feel disconnected from this war but you guys are being scary!"

Yeah it's a very "i'm cool, detached, clever, owning all those care-havers" type of gimmick.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

that doesn't help with dehydration, it only worsens it

the man is drinking it for pleasure or for religious reasons

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Owling Howl posted:

Skeletonized remains have been found on occasion. I guess if you get hurt and isolated you might not get found for a while.

Wait, Russia is sending skeletons into war?!?!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Today has been a monumentally bad day for Puccia. Bastion AshM system lost, entire S-400 battery lost, and a helo pilot defected to Ukraine along with his bird.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Panzeh posted:

Yeah it's a very "i'm cool, detached, clever, owning all those care-havers" type of gimmick.

It's like he poo poo his pants in class, and everyone made fun of the smell but didn't try to seek him out. So enraged, he stood up and delivered the John Galt speech with his opinions dripping down his legs

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Disco Pope posted:

Wait, Russia is sending skeletons into war?!?!

Mobiks aren't even free in death.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

Today has been a monumentally bad day for Puccia. Bastion AshM system lost, entire S-400 battery lost, and a helo pilot defected to Ukraine along with his bird.

What happened to the s-400? Another smoking incident?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

What happened to the s-400? Another smoking incident?

Yes, but it wasn't one launcher, but a whole battery and their radars.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

zone posted:

Yes, but it wasn't one launcher, but a whole battery and their radars.

Now this is potentially some Actual Content. How do you even lose an entire spread-out battery?

...wait, they just parked all the systems next to each other, didn't they?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

In other news, India's lander successfully landed on the moon. Yet another L for glorious Puccia.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:sweep:
We've mostly moved on but for the record:

We're done talking about other forums itt now, even obliquely.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1694321509647450488

How reliable is Pravda? I'm not up to date on sources

zone
Dec 6, 2016

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1694321509647450488

How reliable is Pravda? I'm not up to date on sources

It was reported first on telegram by Yuriy Butusov, a Ukrainian war reporter. The incident they're talking about is legit.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

zone posted:

In other news, India's lander successfully landed on the moon. Yet another L for glorious Puccia.

wait, India and Russia were both landing stuff within days of each other? Were they competing? Just a orbital timing thing where it was advantageous? India's lander was actually offensive and damaged Russia's, right?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

wait, India and Russia were both landing stuff within days of each other? Were they competing? Just a orbital timing thing where it was advantageous? India's lander was actually offensive and damaged Russia's, right?

When you start a war and have to use multi billions of Rubles and forced conscription to invade a country, you re-start a space programme and redirect money from food and ammo to this. It makes you look important and relevant to the rest of the world. Addressing a live feed to BRISC also makes you tough and manly and not poo poo scared of being arrested.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

hazardousmouse posted:

India's lander took a much longer trajectory and used a cautionary, measured approach. Their lander actually started some months back to reach the moon as safely as possible, using burns at the high/low points of the orbits which gave them plenty of margin for error during the final landing stage.

Russia literally yeeted their lander at the moon. They tossed it up on August 11th trying to beat India to the landing. They did technically 'arrive' first though

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

hazardousmouse posted:

Unlike other bodies in the solar system, there isn't much incentive to wait for an optimal window for the moon outside of time of day. So one or the other was competing, or it was just incredible coincidence.

Edit: ^^ Exactly. You can take fuel-efficient long treks to it or you can come in burning. In Russia's case, they just hit the emergency brake from ludicrous speed and held it too long so their deceleration into captured orbit became a lithobraking trajectory.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

beer_war posted:

Woah bro! Too homo. No, wait. Actually, it's not homo enough.