Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

fatherboxx posted:

4362 tanks vs current Oryx toll of 2253

The Military Balance 2021 database says Russian storage facilities have around 10,200 tanks.

I think the combination is useful to provide a range for the OSINT community. Oryx is the absolute floor; Ukraine General Staff is probably the upper end within a few percentage points. I suspect Ukraine's numbers are directionally, if not specifically, accurate. There certainly seems to be widespread reports from both Russian and Ukrainian sources that Ukraine's attrition ratio with counterbattery fire is very favorable to Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Orthanc6 posted:

My guess is it's pre-programmed. Otherwise, maybe they could float an antennae. Sure it's not as stealthy but it would be a lot smaller than the whole thing being on the surface.

I'm assuming it only travels a few feet below the surface and has a small antenna that sticks above the water.

edit:

Mederlock posted:

Ding ding ding. You're not compromising much on a souped up narco kamikaze submersible by having an (optionally retractable) mast with the GPS and radio antennas that just pokes above the water until it's in its terminal attack phase
That makes more sense, also it wouldn't be emitting any EM radiation so it wouldn't be detected.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Orthanc6 posted:

My guess is it's pre-programmed. Otherwise, maybe they could float an antennae. Sure it's not as stealthy but it would be a lot smaller than the whole thing being on the surface.

Ding ding ding. You're not compromising much on a souped up narco kamikaze submersible by having an (optionally retractable) mast with the GPS and radio antennas that just pokes above the water until it's in its terminal attack phase

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TonyaLevchuk/status/1694146627416801685

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The DOD sticks to the general line they've maintained for several months now:

quote:

Q: Thank you, General. I have two questions. I mean, previously, when -- when Ukrainians were able to push Russians away from Kyiv, the Pentagon was very keen on sharing information and perspective from this building on how successful the counter -- the defense of Kyiv was. Now, you always refer us to the Ukrainians. However, the U.S. -- American tax -- taxpayers putting big money to help Ukrainians in this fight. What is your assessment of the counter-offensive so far? Have you seen any breakthrough? And is it succeeding in achieving its goals? That's the first question.

The second question is [another subject]...

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Fadi. So a couple of things there. So first of all, when it comes to Ukraine -- and -- and I mean this with all due respect -- I'm a U.S. Department of Defense spokesperson, so I'm not going to provide an operational update from this podium on Ukrainian combat operations, other than to say again we are committed to supporting them in their fight.

We've said from the very beginning that this is going to be a very tough and difficult operation and a difficult fight for them. And -- and I know you've heard me say this before but Secretary Austin has highlighted the fact that this is a marathon and it's not a sprint. So there should be no illusions about that -- that fact.

I will also say that -- that this is a Ukrainian operation. They are leading it. Our -- our focus is on supporting them, in terms of what they need to be successful, because the implications if Ukraine is not successful transcend just Ukraine. It has implications for Europe and the world, when it comes to Russia's unprovoked invasion.

The last thing I'll say on this -- and -- and, you know, I think it's very important to understand -- and I know that you know this, having watched and -- and observed and reported on combat operations around the world -- is that combat by its very nature is very dynamic, it's very fluid, and it's unpredictable, and any student of history would know that the battle's not over until it's over.

And so our focus is going to continue to be, as I've said, on helping them have the training and the equipment and the resources they need to be able to be victorious on the battlefield, to defend their country and take back sovereign territory.

So I'm not going to get into providing scores in the middle of their fight. Again, that would be inappropriate. What we're going to do is we're going to keep supporting them for as long as it takes.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like they hit the Grand Tower:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1694161812588003377

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tower_(Moscow)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
So it a hit a tower under construction? It's either a message with care taken to reduce casualties, or an error.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It feels like Ukraine is starting to hit Moscow more and more regularly these days. I guess they figure that either Putin is forced to allocate assets to defend Moscow, or his paranoia will be ramped up enough to do something stupid, or people will start to see that the strongman isn't capable of protecting his capital with all that implies. In a way it sorta feels like Ukraine's answer to "What if Putin just settles in and declares forever war?" - Ukraine will take up bombing Moscow as a hobby until a peace treaty is signed. Here's hoping they stick to mostly military and government targets, which I seem to recall they mostly have been - though a hit on a skyscraper under construction at night is a bit of an odd one. A relatively casualty-free way of hitting at Putin's prestige, given that it seems to be something of a Muscovite megaproject?

Edit: Looking it up it'll only be the 8th tallest building in Moscow when completed, so it's not THAT important as a prestige thing though it is still a big skyscraper and a big hole in it will likely get people wondering.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 23, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Maybe we should supply Ukraine with some Cessna 172's?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tomn posted:

It feels like Ukraine is starting to hit Moscow more and more regularly these days. I guess they figure that either Putin is forced to allocate assets to defend Moscow, or his paranoia will be ramped up enough to do something stupid, or people will start to see that the strongman isn't capable of protecting his capital with all that implies. In a way it sorta feels like Ukraine's answer to "What if Putin just settles in and declares forever war?" - Ukraine will take up bombing Moscow as a hobby until a peace treaty is signed. Here's hoping they stick to mostly military and government targets, which I seem to recall they mostly have been - though a hit on a skyscraper under construction at night is a bit of an odd one. A relatively casualty-free way of hitting at Putin's prestige, given that it seems to be something of a Muscovite megaproject?

Edit: Looking it up it'll only be the 8th tallest building in Moscow when completed, so it's not THAT important as a prestige thing though it is still a big skyscraper and a big hole in it will likely get people wondering.

My immediate question is if it has some kind of civic pride or prestige or something.

Or I suppose it could be like a murder in effigy kind of thing. Showing the people of Moscow what they easily could do but are choosing to not. So far.

Or possibly some UAF officer's wife ran off with the architect 10 years ago and this was somehow personal. There is the problem with these kinds of conversations that we have no way of knowing if we know all the relevant information.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zelenskyi did basically say that attacks would continue: https://www.nbcnews.com/video/war-is-returning-to-russian-territory-zelenskyy-says-189605445627

BungMonkey
Sep 7, 2000

Mmm... Mulched baby...

Deltasquid posted:

Belgian media are reporting that Prigozhin made a new video, claiming to be in Africa.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2023/08/22/prigozjin-afrika/

Guess he isn*t banished to Belarus after all
He reminds me of Richard Trager. No matter how much of other people's viscera he covers himself in, his irrepressible work ethic and unparalleled job commitment shine through.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

My immediate question is if it has some kind of civic pride or prestige or something.

Or I suppose it could be like a murder in effigy kind of thing. Showing the people of Moscow what they easily could do but are choosing to not. So far.

Or possibly some UAF officer's wife ran off with the architect 10 years ago and this was somehow personal. There is the problem with these kinds of conversations that we have no way of knowing if we know all the relevant information.

It is a skyscraper in the business district of Moscow. It's like asking if hitting the WRC TV Tower in Washington DC is a civic prestiege thing. It's a building in the capital, it's clearly sending a message that if Ukraine wanted, they could royally gently caress up Moscow.

It's a strong message and a good position in this part of the war to be in. Violence is the language that Putin works with, so Ukraine showing that they can, but they aren't, is a good bargaining position to hold if any peace talks arise.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kikas posted:

It's a building in the capital, it's clearly sending a message that if Ukraine wanted, they could royally gently caress up Moscow.

Breaking a window every two-three days is not really a powerful message.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
one phenomena of modern war i absolutely can't fathom is the continuing thought pattern "a) their brutal aerial campaign against our population centers has only hardened popular sentiment in favor of resistance; b) now we will threaten their population centers through an aerial campaign and weaken their wills"

moscow brought down significant portions of ukraine's national energy grid during winter and is months and months into a continuous aerial siege with dozens of drones and missiles a night on major urban centers, and the general consensus is that it has had a negligible effect on the current course of the war and is probably a misallocation of resources. all it has produced is civilian casualties

stretching russian anti-air thinner, and hitting military targets of opportunity will have a minor effect on the course of the war, some theoretical psychological shock to putin or moscow won't

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

one phenomena of modern war i absolutely can't fathom is the continuing thought pattern "a) their brutal aerial campaign against our population centers has only hardened popular sentiment in favor of resistance; b) now we will threaten their population centers through an aerial campaign and weaken their wills"

It helps if you reconsider how, and why, each side entered Russia's overconfident and unprovoked war against Ukraine; and why one side is heavily inclined to threaten but not massacre (a distinction you clearly noted but didn't seem to appreciate).

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I think the thing that is preventing you fathoming it is believing all wars are the same. There is a massive difference between a war that represents an existential threat and one that is a colonial adventure. If a war is an existential threat, then attaching civilian targets has negligible value because surrender delivers little benefit (though even then there have been instances of such attacks delivering surrender). If the only real consequences of surrender are loss of face, however, there is a limit to how much risk people are willing to put themselves under.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Those drone attacks are symbolic more than anything. I could see the signal of "the war is actually real and not some far-away thing you can ignore" being potentially useful given how much Putin relies on an apathetic populace. If the deal is that they don't need to concern themselves with "politics" and Putin gets to keep doing whatever he's doing, then having "politics" blow up an empty office and air defense activating in the middle of the night might, potentially, change that dynamic.

I'm not convinced of that argument myself, usually when things explode you have a rally effect…

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's not entirely true though that attacks on Russia soil or something like a drone hitting an actual government building in a city won't do anything even to a dictator like Putin. It puts stress on the entire population further re-enforcing that Ukraine isn't a small Country isn't going to stop fighting, will lower morale and keep it down.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chronojam posted:

It helps if you reconsider how, and why, each side entered Russia's overconfident and unprovoked war against Ukraine; and why one side is heavily inclined to threaten but not massacre (a distinction you clearly noted but didn't seem to appreciate).

Daduzi posted:

I think the thing that is preventing you fathoming it is believing all wars are the same. There is a massive difference between a war that represents an existential threat and one that is a colonial adventure. If a war is an existential threat, then attaching civilian targets has negligible value because surrender delivers little benefit (though even then there have been instances of such attacks delivering surrender). If the only real consequences of surrender are loss of face, however, there is a limit to how much risk people are willing to put themselves under.

so the idea is that ukraine will either threaten or enact an air war costly enough that the highly irrational actor putin will come to acceptable terms, or the general population will feel so physically at risk that they'll turn against the security apparatus of the state? what level of air war would even be necessary to get those kind of results?

and what kind of historical case studies have involved a disaffected populace suffering from strategic bombardment and then capitulating? saudi arabia in yemen maybe, and that was after having all of their proxy forces completely routed and apparently reaching some kind of general detente with iran. subjecting a population to mass violence is a quick way to turn general disaffection with a conflict into a perceived existential threat

i mean christ, american's in the late 90's is the textbook case of a superpower with a population barely aware of and not particularly invested in its various colonial policies. did a massive and dramatic strike at symbols of prestige, striking terror into the entire population, make folks reconsider the policies they had no investment in? no, of course not, they experienced a moment of social and political unity not seen in generations directed solely at lashing out militarily

ukraine's drone campaign can absolutely contribute to the war, but the idea that it will or could cause a mass civilian collapse in confidence is nonsense, and anyone who believes it will be as disappointed as those who thought that mass conscription or the rout at kharkiv would be some kind of decisive blow to the russian's will to fight

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

moscow brought down significant portions of ukraine's national energy grid during winter and is months and months into a continuous aerial siege with dozens of drones and missiles a night on major urban centers, and the general consensus is that it has had a negligible effect on the current course of the war and is probably a misallocation of resources. all it has produced is civilian casualties

stretching russian anti-air thinner, and hitting military targets of opportunity will have a minor effect on the course of the war, some theoretical psychological shock to putin or moscow won't

I'd love to hear from someone in Ukraine if it's done anything to lift their spirits and morale, rather than a specific weakening of the Russian side.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Being obliged to reposition air defence far away from the front line instead of defending artillery at said front line seems like a tangible benefit.

An appropriate military response would to be say: these civilian airports are strategically worthless anyway so we won't defend them against these negligible drone attacks! Ha, suckers. But then that cuts against the concept of an SMO with no real domestic costs. And anyway that is not the response Russia seems prepared to have.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

ukraine's drone campaign can absolutely contribute to the war, but the idea that it will or could cause a mass civilian collapse in confidence is nonsense, and anyone who believes it will be as disappointed as those who thought that mass conscription or the rout at kharkiv would be some kind of decisive blow to the russian's will to fight

The point isn't that it's going to tell the Russian population the war is futile and they'll overthrow Putin. That's basically impossible for a ton a reasons but it will make the public, army, elites, etc. think twice and keep morale low. And keep putting it down.

And morale is the most important thing in war. Ukraine is keeping the pressure high.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Those drone attacks are symbolic more than anything. I could see the signal of "the war is actually real and not some far-away thing you can ignore" being potentially useful given how much Putin relies on an apathetic populace. If the deal is that they don't need to concern themselves with "politics" and Putin gets to keep doing whatever he's doing, then having "politics" blow up an empty office and air defense activating in the middle of the night might, potentially, change that dynamic.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's not entirely true though that attacks on Russia soil or something like a drone hitting an actual government building in a city won't do anything even to a dictator like Putin. It puts stress on the entire population further re-enforcing that Ukraine isn't a small Country isn't going to stop fighting, will lower morale and keep it down.

It doesn't, they have been extremely minor except for that memorable one that hit Kremlin.
You need to understand the scale and realize that a flying pipebomb is not going to make waves in a 10 million city.

Making good AA defenses (and premium jamming systems) shift to Moscow seems like the only rational goal, but I am not sure if it hasnt already been accomplished.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 23, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What makes so sure it's extremely minor?

I agree, there's obviously more value in moving air defense from the front to cities but there can be more than one reason for drone strikes. I don't know about you but if I lived in a city and I'm seeing buildings partially blown up I'm gonna get a bit nervous and further distrust leaders who claim that they are winning the war.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What makes so sure it's extremely minor?

I agree, there's obviously more value in moving air defense from the front to cities but there can be more than one reason for drone strikes. I don't know about you but if I lived in a city and I'm seeing buildings partially blown up I'm gonna get a bit nervous and further distrust leaders who claim that they are winning the war.

Objective reality and results

They are not "partially blown up", they amount to a couple of broken windows in an office building for filthy rich.
Replacing windows in an extremely prestigious business centre is expensive but still less than a good jamming station.

Chechen militants with bombings or Palestinians with Qassam rockets have achieved what you are describing but Ukraine is unlikely to resort to those tactics for obvious reasons.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 23, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The attacks serve different purposes. Russia is waging a war of extermination and their attacks are intended to brutalize and destroy until the population gives up. This is the kind of attack that has been pointed out as not having much impact in multiple wars over the last century or so.

Ukraine is attacking the domestic political agreement of "It's just a special military operation taking place far away, it doesn't mean anything to you so ignore it. Also things are going great anyway hooray Russia!" That is a much more fragile target than "We'll kill you all or else".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Objective reality and results

They are not "partially blown up", they amount to a couple of broken windows in an office building for filthy rich.
Replacing windows in an extremely prestigious business centre is expensive but still less than a good jamming station.

Chechen militants with bombings or Palestinians with Qassam rockets have achieved what you are describing but Ukraine is unlikely to resort to those tactics for obvious reasons.

Almost all of them got shot down, too. Now the S400 in Crimea? That's the good stuff.

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Perhaps the idea behind the attacks is that it forces the Russian government into allocating resources like anti-drone stuff into areas which are far away from the invasion zone. A couple of $20k drones with $1 pipe bombs strapped to them could force the Russian government to spend millions in in fancy anti drone zap guns. This is my financial conspiracy

It's not going to make anyone in Moscow go "Boy, I really feel sorry for those Ukrainians" though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chill Monster posted:

It's not going to make anyone in Moscow go "Boy, I really feel sorry for those Ukrainians" though.

Now trying for that would be fully and utterly useless.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Could just be the Ukrainians testing out what kind of operations they can successfully pull off from however far remote this thing was launched/operated.

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 23, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe we should supply Ukraine with some Cessna 172's?

Sadly we've taken this alternative off the table; the Soviets knew Rust was coming from Finnish air space, so their air defense forces were denied permission to shoot him out of the sky. Finland's in NATO now, so presumably Russia'd consider incoming craft less friendly than in the 80's.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bird food bathtub posted:

The attacks serve different purposes. Russia is waging a war of extermination and their attacks are intended to brutalize and destroy until the population gives up. This is the kind of attack that has been pointed out as not having much impact in multiple wars over the last century or so.

Ukraine is attacking the domestic political agreement of "It's just a special military operation taking place far away, it doesn't mean anything to you so ignore it. Also things are going great anyway hooray Russia!" That is a much more fragile target than "We'll kill you all or else".

That may well be the intent, but if the attacks from Ukraine are just shrugged off in Russia as "just another day in Moscow" then it just makes Ukraine look weak.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
From Die Zeit Ukraine-Liveblog:

-Multiple presidents (Lithuania, Portugal) on visit in Ukraine
-Ukraine managed to destroy an S-400 Anti-Air system stationed on Crimea.

Ukrainian sources (drone recordings) allegedly show the detonation of the system. Apparently, the entire facility, ammunition and crew included, was lost.

Edit: It seems this attack was what the leader of the Ukrainian military intelligence service, Kyrylo Budanow, hinted at, when threatening more attacks on Crimea.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 23, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know about Russia in specific, but in every country in the world if commercial buildings are being impacted by a hostile military force regardless of circumstances, I'm quite certain this is going to have a non-zero effect. Doing it many times is likely even moreso.

What effect on the population depends on, as noted, morale of each particular country. But to brush this off as nothing seems clueless to me.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
In previous attacks the Russians have claimed that they jammed the drones and caused them to hit the wrong targets, might be the same case here, the Ukrainians could have been aiming for a more militarily useful target.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I don't know about Russia in specific, but in every country in the world if commercial buildings are being impacted by a hostile military force regardless of circumstances, I'm quite certain this is going to have a non-zero effect. Doing it many times is likely even moreso.

What effect on the population depends on, as noted, morale of each particular country. But to brush this off as nothing seems clueless to me.

Russia launched hundreds of deadly missile strikes and shahed swarms at Kyiv, Ukraine response - a dozen or so essentially pipebomb hits in total at night on office buildings in Moscow, I dont see how it could appear as a sizeable blowback to an ordinary citizen, especially in a world where terrorist attacks in capitals have been a regular thing.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

thekeeshman posted:

In previous attacks the Russians have claimed that they jammed the drones and caused them to hit the wrong targets, might be the same case here, the Ukrainians could have been aiming for a more militarily useful target.

Yeah. That seems like the most likely conclusion. Blowing up a rather insignificant office tower seems like a silly use of resources.

From what I've read, Russia does have more electronic warfare resources than Ukraine does, which complicates the use of drones and has knock-on effects. https://www.thedefensepost.com/2023/07/27/ukraine-behind-electronic-warfare/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

From Die Zeit Ukraine-Liveblog:

-Multiple presidents (Lithuania, Portugal) on visit in Ukraine
-Ukraine managed to destroy an S-400 Anti-Air system stationed on Crimea.

Ukrainian sources (drone recordings) allegedly show the detonation of the system. Apparently, the entire facility, ammunition and crew included, was lost.

Edit: It seems this attack was what the leader of the Ukrainian military intelligence service, Kyrylo Budanow, hinted at, when threatening more attacks on Crimea.

The Zeit blog also notes that the new Finnish prime minister Orpo visited Zelenskyy today. I can't find a very good English-language source for this, but according to the Finnish Broadcasting Company (in Finnish) they discussed Finland's next aid package, and Zelenskyy expressed an interest in making a similar deal as Ukraine did with Sweden about manufacturing Finnish military stuff in Ukraine, namely our armoured vehicles.

Google translate posted:

Maybe we have a lot we can do. We have high technology and the Ukrainians have a lot of experience, so it is really useful and a good idea, Orpo comments on the possible cooperation between Finland and Ukraine in the arms industry.

According to him, we are now looking at what kind of cooperation between Finnish companies and Ukraine could be in the future.

Zelenskyi mentioned at the press conference that Ukraine is very interested in manufacturing Finnish armored vehicles in Ukraine. There are some Finnish armored transport vehicles, or Pasis, in use in Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Russia launched hundreds of deadly missile strikes and shahed swarms at Kyiv, Ukraine response - a dozen or so essentially pipebomb hits in total at night on office buildings in Moscow, I dont see how it could appear as a sizeable blowback to an ordinary citizen, especially in a world where terrorist attacks in capitals have been a regular thing.

Maybe I'm being ignorant or just a guy from NY and blind to such events but are "terrorist attacks in capitals...a regular thing"?