Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey so I got to play Mortal Kombat 1 early(again, new build!) and got to play the story mode, and the new single player invasion mode!

Here is the full Prologue and Chapter 1 of MK1 if ya wanna watch it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKicrl8AmI

For Invasion mode and gameplay stuff ill be posting that later today on the channel as well, but I figure people are gaga for the MK story so here's as much as I can give ya

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I really wish images could be thread titles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, but Johnny's in it, so... six months.

Johnny here seems to be about halfway between starting Johnny and MKX older Johnny. He's still kind of a dick, but he actually has some wholesome interactions with people.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr. Neutron posted:

He is also not being voiced by Richard Epcar any more which is a bummer (even though all the other character's VAs seem to be returning) and if he is supposed to be a regular dude now, sup with his godlike lightning powers?

probably recasted so they could have an actual asian person playing him, the same reason steve blum isn't sub-zero anymore

looking it up it's this guy

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey so I got to play Mortal Kombat 1 early(again, new build!) and got to play the story mode, and the new single player invasion mode!

For Invasion mode and gameplay stuff ill be posting that later today on the channel as well, but I figure people are gaga for the MK story so here's as much as I can give ya

Neat. So Madam Bo is this timeline's version of Bo Rai Cho, right? Going by some on the earlier trailers, I assume this Lin Kuei attack was all a test for Liu Kang, which makes Smoke beating up an old woman and throwing her off the balcony really funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amazing, they brought back Cyrax's MK3 world-destroying fatality.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rhonne posted:

Neat. So Madam Bo is this timeline's version of Bo Rai Cho, right? Going by some on the earlier trailers, I assume this Lin Kuei attack was all a test for Liu Kang, which makes Smoke beating up an old woman and throwing her off the balcony really funny.

Those were my thoughts too.

Also, guy at the bar is my favorite new MK character, make him a Kameo Ed

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't like the last 2 games due to the variation system, and the kameos are kind of throwing me off so I ended up trying SF6, my first real foray into that franchise besides the most casual of time spent in the old days. I just couldn't make sense of the rules. Struggled making it out of bronze until the other night when I just decided it was all more frustration than it was worth. First time I've ever really backed down and given up on a game. So I guess now my focus is back on MK1 again.

MK2 makes up about 80% of my fighting experience, I was pretty serious about it from 07-12 or so. But I guess there isn't going to be much that will apply here. One of the big things in SF6 I struggled with was blocking, so used to MK2 where down+back was all you had to do, couldn't even be thrown. Now having to decide whether to block high or low or to get ready for a throw, I found it hard to judge, especially seeing there seemed to be something of a delay. Its like its not enough to be holding down+back if a low attack is coming in, you already need to be crouched before it hits for it to block. Which I guess isn't illogical but its not what I'm used to.

Is this carrying a lot of gameplay mechanics over from 11?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mechanically it seems to be taking an assortment of several mechanics from MK9-11.

Flawless Block is back, but all you get from it is negated chip damage and maybe(?) less pushback. No more full combos from FBing Shao's main neutral string.
Fatal Blows are back but have a much longer windup time, no more throwing them out raw from neutral for 35%.
Every character has 1 armored wakeup move, no more 8 different options to get up from a knockdown (FINALLY).
EX is back and has to be earned by hitting or getting hit, it doesn't recharge automatically.
MKX style combo breakers are back, costs all 3 bars + a kameo to pull off.
In terms of the actual flow and speed of the game, it seems the most similar to MK11 for me. Maybe the tiniest bit faster.

Those are the biggest things I've noticed. Kameos are essentially your variations now because you can completely transform their combo structure or gameplan depending on which one that you pick.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

2nd video, all about invasions mode
I think its kinda neat! I guess its sorta has that RPG grind and very much by design, but its sure as poo poo better and more varied than MK11 towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqeLWlISByk

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

exquisite tea posted:

In terms of the actual flow and speed of the game, it seems the most similar to MK11 for me. Maybe the tiniest bit faster.

I used to think one of my problems with 11 was the slower pace but it was actually the slower pace in conjunction with what seemed to be design decisions oriented entirely around encouraging passivity and punishing assertive play. MK1 feels great to me and I didn't even really notice that it's really not much faster than 11 since it's not constantly saying "gently caress you" for trying to press advantage though nonsense like getting punished if your opponent breakaways your juggle, the 10000 wakeup options, passive meter regain, and fatal blows that are 1 frame execution, fast, armored, damaging, safe, and come back even if you gently caress up

That last one still blows my mind that it made it into the final release of 11 and never got fixed. That's more like something that'd get jammed into a forgotten 1994 SF2 ripoff

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Make Madam Bo playable, Netherrealm, you cowards! Be the pioneers to give fighting games some old lady representation.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Ok does Kitana's dad just have Timeline Ebola? How is he still loving dead at the beginning of this again?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Diabetic posted:

Ok does Kitana's dad just have Timeline Ebola? How is he still loving dead at the beginning of this again?

Jerrod's a bigger jobber than Reptile and Baraka combined.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Suspicious Cook posted:

Make Madam Bo playable, Netherrealm, you cowards! Be the pioneers to give fighting games some old lady representation.

“So who’s your favourite character? The hell ninja? The film star action hero? The reptile assassin?”

“The farting vomiting old lady”.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Jerrod dead so Ermac rise

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I love that Liu Kang goes out of his way to find better, more fulfilling existences for monsters like Shao Kahn, Mileena, Bi-Han, Rain, Reptile, etc. but proceeds to redesign Shang Tsung's life for the sake of humiliating him and making his existence poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want the ancestor Kung Lao that current day Kung Lao will never shut the gently caress up about. Let's see him. He better be as good as advertised.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

PostNouveau posted:

I want the ancestor Kung Lao that current day Kung Lao will never shut the gently caress up about. Let's see him. He better be as good as advertised.

I thought that's what they were doing and heavily hinted at in the end of 11. I'd have love to seen that, but I'll take another round of Johnny is the god of Mortal Kombat.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PostNouveau posted:

Well, he did have his own TV show where he teamed up with the lady Terminator and the star of MST3K's Future War.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Well, he did have his own TV show where he teamed up with the lady Terminator and the star of MST3K's Future War.

They all died in the end, so I guess he wasn't that great.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

:hmmyes:

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Rhonne posted:

They all died in the end, so I guess he wasn't that great.

Didn't they say in that show that Shao was Raiden's brother? Also I thought Shao was an Emperor from another place that took Edenia and made it part of Outworld? Did Liu Kang really just say "gently caress Edenia you're already Outworld" ?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rhonne posted:

Bo might be the family name..

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Canadian posted:

I think its kinda neat! I guess its sorta has that RPG grind and very much by design, but its sure as poo poo better and more varied than MK11 towers.

This is awesome, I’m definitely going to preorder the game. I’m excited!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Evil Canadian posted:

If the seasonal "invasions" are all Mortal Kombat What Ifs, I'm very excited. I love MK's stupid story and seeing Scorpion get hella mad that his alternate timeline self is both literally Sub-Zero AND marrying his wife is great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I used to think one of my problems with 11 was the slower pace but it was actually the slower pace in conjunction with what seemed to be design decisions oriented entirely around encouraging passivity and punishing assertive play. MK1 feels great to me and I didn't even really notice that it's really not much faster than 11 since it's not constantly saying "gently caress you" for trying to press advantage though nonsense like getting punished if your opponent breakaways your juggle, the 10000 wakeup options, passive meter regain, and fatal blows that are 1 frame execution, fast, armored, damaging, safe, and come back even if you gently caress up

The sheer number of defensive wakeup options in MK11 absolutely drove me up the wall. Don't get me wrong, I loved MK11 enough to play for like a billion hours and rank up to God (before people knew what they were doing) and Demi-God (after), but yeah. If I knock you down, then I should always, ALWAYS have the advantage. I should not have to 50/50 myself guessing if you're going to forward roll, backward roll, wakeup X, wakeup Y, delay, or just come out mashing. Combine that with certain characters getting krushing blows for something as simple as "counterhit" and whoops Shang Tsung now just did the same exact damage to you as you did to him from a full combo by literally pressing one button. "Oh but just neutral jump + back up a little + pick Jacqui" well now you've lost the entire point of getting them into the corner to begin with. Infuriating!

Anyway, I'm glad that MK1 appears to be ramping up the aggression and that even pity combos are hitting north of 30% now. Feels good.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Diabetic posted:

Didn't they say in that show that Shao was Raiden's brother? Also I thought Shao was an Emperor from another place that took Edenia and made it part of Outworld? Did Liu Kang really just say "gently caress Edenia you're already Outworld" ?

Nah, Shao/Raiden being brothers + kids of Shinnok is Annihilation, not Conquest (the fact the name isn't Konquest was the first hint the show would suck.)

Shao and Raiden share the same actor for Conquest though!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

If the seasonal "invasions" are all Mortal Kombat What Ifs, I'm very excited. I love MK's stupid story and seeing Scorpion get hella mad that his alternate timeline self is both literally Sub-Zero AND marrying his wife is great.

drat, what does Liu Kang have against Hanzo? Giving his name, powers, AND wife to Sub-Zero is hosed up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The invasions look really cool. Reminds me of the weapon dungeons from Soul Calibur 2 but more fleshed out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

drat, what does Liu Kang have against Hanzo? Giving his name, powers, AND wife to Sub-Zero is hosed up.

Scorpion's MK11 ending showed that his family is doomed no matter what timeline due to the machinations of the Titans, which causes him to go full on God of War. Liu Kang probably figured the best solution is to simply remove the family aspect from Harumi. If she isn't Hanzo's wife, then maybe she stands a chance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm pretty tempted to just watch all these story videos and whatever popping up on Youtube in the last like 12 hours but I kind of want to keep things on the downlow until I actually play the game.

Give me the full roster and Kameos though, I'm down for spoiling that for myself all day.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Evil Canadian posted:

My favourite part of that video.

(Lui Kang sees Sub Zero using ice magik.)
Lui: Wow! How does he do that?
(Proceeds to do flying kicks at literal 45° angels and teleport.)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

codo27 posted:

I didn't like the last 2 games due to the variation system, and the kameos are kind of throwing me off so I ended up trying SF6, my first real foray into that franchise besides the most casual of time spent in the old days. I just couldn't make sense of the rules. Struggled making it out of bronze until the other night when I just decided it was all more frustration than it was worth. First time I've ever really backed down and given up on a game. So I guess now my focus is back on MK1 again.

MK2 makes up about 80% of my fighting experience, I was pretty serious about it from 07-12 or so. But I guess there isn't going to be much that will apply here. One of the big things in SF6 I struggled with was blocking, so used to MK2 where down+back was all you had to do, couldn't even be thrown. Now having to decide whether to block high or low or to get ready for a throw, I found it hard to judge, especially seeing there seemed to be something of a delay. Its like its not enough to be holding down+back if a low attack is coming in, you already need to be crouched before it hits for it to block. Which I guess isn't illogical but its not what I'm used to.

Is this carrying a lot of gameplay mechanics over from 11?

lmao

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been making points in Liu Kang's favor lately, but seriously, after watching the prologue, letting Shang Tsung live at all is his own drat fault.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I've been making points in Liu Kang's favor lately, but seriously, after watching the prologue, letting Shang Tsung live at all is his own drat fault.

I assume taking away his powers was an attempt to humble him, but he just became a snake oil salesman instead.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Not excited to see Kronika show up again. Shoulda been Shang Tsung from the alternate ending of MK11 aftermath that exists in a parallel universe with its own timeline keeping the OG rivalry between him and Liu Kang alive

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's been speculation that Onaga is the big bad for a while, but with General Shao's giant horns and references here and there to the importance of his father, the big theory is that Onaga is Shao's dad in this reality.

As for the return of Kronika, there's apparently a leak referring to her as "Damashi." That's the name that Onaga used when sending Shujinko on his quest.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

G-III posted:

Not excited to see Kronika show up again. Shoulda been Shang Tsung from the alternate ending of MK11 aftermath that exists in a parallel universe with its own timeline keeping the OG rivalry between him and Liu Kang alive

I mean it's possible. He has shapeshifting powers after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol that shao and even shang tsung gets to hang out still while Baraka gets his entire race turned into a disease