Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Oh cool so looks like the game leaves early access in October. That’s not bad, it’s kind of understandable when you buy from a niche indie studio making a labor of love they have cash flow issues and can’t afford a proper free beta test. You don’t mind helping them out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Just found out about Vampire Survivors crossover. Neat!

Love to see the VS devs are down to help a promising dev studio with their project. D4's got solid bones and content like this will help them add some flavor to the mix.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

pseudanonymous posted:

Oh cool so looks like the game leaves early access in October. That’s not bad, it’s kind of understandable when you buy from a niche indie studio making a labor of love they have cash flow issues and can’t afford a proper free beta test. You don’t mind helping them out a bit.

this is the kind of nonsense nobody wants to read. take it to reddit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Don't make mean jokes about diablo 4 in the diablo 4 thread :(

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
don’t make the same tired rear end jokes that haven’t been worth posting since wotlk era as the only or primary thing you post here, correct

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Season 2 lookin good, but probably not good enough for me. Great changes regardless though, definitely a step in the right direction.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

harrygomm posted:

don’t make the same tired rear end jokes that haven’t been worth posting since wotlk era as the only or primary thing you post here, correct

I had a look at his post history and "blizz is smol bean" is neither the only or the primary thing they post here

strong bones

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 23, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The playercount must be atrocious if they trying to generate season 2 hype two months early. Good sign for getting better changes.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

KazigluBey posted:

I had a look at his post history and "blizz is smol bean" is neither the only or the primary thing they post here

strong bones

yeah, pseudanonymous had not been doing that exclusively or primarily. sorry that’s on me. i think that type of post though is still indicative of what VG posted about earlier.

im not trying to stop criticism, just the retreading of the same things that have made this thread go off the rails a few pages at a time in the past.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

The playercount must be atrocious if they trying to generate season 2 hype two months early. Good sign for getting better changes.

That's possible, and even likely looking at twitch numbers, but it's also Gamescom

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

flashman posted:

If you searched for Diablo 4 on youtube just before this announcement, it was all negative with detailed breakdowns of why D4 sucks, and the stuff announced with S2 was pretty much in all of them.

So I think it's to refocus people on the bones and future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuA-BNgiHhE

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Out of the way, peck!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Vic posted:

If you searched for Diablo 4 on youtube just before this announcement, it was all negative with detailed breakdowns of why D4 sucks, and the stuff announced with S2 was pretty much in all of them.

So I think it's to refocus people on the bones and future.

It makes sense, I don't know what gamescom is but maybe it's just that too.

A suspicious amount of the seasonal "content" is just basic qol stuff or bug fixes lol.. I guess it will remain to be seen if they can generate something better than kill an elite twice

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What I don't understand is, is seasonal content ever going to go "core" like in PoE? Not every league's content gets added to core PoE once they are done - some vanishes entirely, some gets added in a truncated or limited fashion, in some cases only new legendaries get added to the pool, and lastly some stuff just gets ported 1-to-1 - but enough does that it feels like PoE builds on itself via new leagues.

Seems to me that keeping the Hearts around could be done, even if adjustments need to be made, is there any particular reason why they're dumping them? And have they said if this is the default going forwards, that seasonal content lasts for the season and then gets entirely excised?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

What I don't understand is, is seasonal content ever going to go "core" like in PoE? Not every league's content gets added to core PoE once they are done - some vanishes entirely, some gets added in a truncated or limited fashion, in some cases only new legendaries get added to the pool, and lastly some stuff just gets ported 1-to-1 - but enough does that it feels like PoE builds on itself via new leagues.

Seems to me that keeping the Hearts around could be done, even if adjustments need to be made, is there any particular reason why they're dumping them? And have they said if this is the default going forwards, that seasonal content lasts for the season and then gets entirely excised?

Blizzard said they're not going to do it like PoE but it'd be silly if they didn't baseline things that people really love. I'm still uncertain about their approach to seasonal content; I don't know if they're actually planning to do deep stuff like Heist in PoE or if the seasons will remain slight.

It makes sense they wouldn't port in the Malignant stuff as is, the Barber heart is obviously ridiculous. But I don't see why they couldn't have hearts drop as a more-interesting alternative to gems.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 23, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Some seasonal content will 100% make it into eternal. I don't know about hearts though, they feel tacked on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

Remember when E3 used to be a big deal? It's that but in Germany

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The primary reason to abandon seasonal content is that most of it is themed around extra power ups that require additional balance work as new stuff is introduced and need to be balanced forever every time anything is adjusted.

The balancing is to prevent unintended synergies(see Blizzard disabling berserking ripping or whatever around game release.) If you have Malignant Hearts(jewel sockets) and Vampire Powers(not jewel sockets? Even then you can mix them in 2:1 or 1:2!) then you may have a wombo combo that breaks the numbers like Vampiric Frenzy: Benefit to Crits/More Crits and Barber Heart: lmao you crit you win.

So it makes sense that Blizzard doesn't want to hand themselves another set of hydra heads on par with Hearthstones Wild format, though they could also give Eternal a lot more purpose by letting it be the wild, wacky "not serious" realm where you can smash your action figures together with the most crazy poo poo on them.

And the game would be better every season if they were able to adapt some of the content per season and continuously add it to the game permanently. Is Varshan gone forever when S2 hits? Are 5 new bosses gone forever when S3 hits? That's a lot of boss work down the drain. Keeping in a "Corrupted Final Malignant Tunnel" as a dungeon with a unique benefit and Varshan's fight in it would be very smart. Limit the benefit but theme it to the season, like you can get 1 of 3 unique gems that are comparable to the regular. Still gotta balance it, dramatically reduced number of things you gotta balance.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Remember when E3 used to be a big deal? It's that but in Germany

Wir machen unsere eigene E3. Mit SchwarzeJacob und Nutten.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doomykins posted:

they could also give Eternal a lot more purpose by letting it be the wild, wacky "not serious" realm where you can smash your action figures together with the most crazy poo poo on them.

From what I understand about PoE, they have to be somewhat picky about what league stuff goes core not because they hate fun but that untested interactions can lead to server halting infinite loops and such. I'm sure the same problem is possible or even likely here once you're a few seasons in.

So at that point you're into the difficult to justify to the players zone of spending dev time on the eternal realm instead of fancy new season stuff, when most people are playing seasonal

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
A lot of PoE leagues also introduce entirely new game modes that can be divorced from their league rewards. They could keep the gameplay of the current league without the league specific reward. As long as the rewards are on par with other choices, people would play it.

For D4 season 1, at least, the rewards are the entire mechanic. Malignant tunnels are just generic dungeons.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 23, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I honestly don't expect season content to get much more complex or interesting. I don't think they really understand it and I don't think they want to spend the money to make it

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Barely a month in to season 1 and they're already going pretty hard on season 2. Season 1 must be a huge bust for them.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I can’t imagine playing a necromancer that had to maintain their summons/corpses. Surely that gets rolled into standard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I honestly don't expect season content to get much more complex or interesting. I don't think they really understand it and I don't think they want to spend the money to make it

I expect the complex stuff will be left for expansions but maybe I’ll get surprised

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Floor is lava posted:

Barely a month in to season 1 and they're already going pretty hard on season 2. Season 1 must be a huge bust for them.

Yeah it’s really weird they would announce stuff during a gaming convention.

Season 1 is weak for sure but lol.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

VOTE1 posted:

I can’t imagine playing a necromancer that had to maintain their summons/corpses. Surely that gets rolled into standard.
Same. The auto-summon of skeletons when passing over a corpse should be main-game soon. It makes the summoner builds a lot more enjoyable to play when you are at those levels when minions die often.

Season 1 did not add a ton of new/exciting things for most people. I know our group had something like 50 people start the season and now about 10 play.

I hope them giving up on renown farming each season is a good sign. They obviously spent a ton of time on the side quests. I thought they would hold out forever making that part of their investment irrelevant.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

stuxracer posted:

I hope them giving up on renown farming each season is a good sign. They obviously spent a ton of time on the side quests. I thought they would hold out forever making that part of their investment irrelevant.

They're idiots if they think it's making the side quests irrelevant.

There are essentially two groups of gamers that they made two different games for:

The first are normal people who are going to buy the new Diablo game, play the campaign, enjoy it for what it is, and then leave because hey the next new shiny video game came out. They might come back when you release an expansion with more story stuff. The side missions are a ton of extra content for those people. If they roll a second character they'll probably play the campaign again because, hey, it's a fun story and that's what we're all here for! These people likely don't care about seasons at all and will never, ever, give even the tiniest of a poo poo about patch notes. No, not even the really bad ones with a million shocked youtuber face reaction videos.

The second are the ARPG dopamine addicts who begrudgingly played through the campaign once on their way to grinding monsters for end game loot for the next thousand hours. They give zero shits about the side quests because they're just a speed bump on the way to hitting max level and running the same dungeon a thousand times in a week in order to make their numbers go up. Seasons are the true game for them, and they have strong opinions about the lack of leaderboards. When you release patch notes they will pour over them for days looking for the new meta, and if they even suspect that you have made it more difficult for them to rush end game (or god help you nerfed their preferred build) they will immediately start a youtube channel or podcast or blog dedicated to why this is the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever.

And all that's fine. None of the story or side quests or any of that is wasted effort because that's how you get millions of normal people to buy the game. gently caress, I was at a dinner party a couple of months ago and a poo poo ton of pretty plain vanilla normal people were talking about playing Diablo. Not even "normal for gamers" just like typical 40 something parents who had to hire a babysitter to get out of the house for a night. And the rest of it is how you keep the rest of us weirdos hanging around for the next however many years

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're idiots if they think it's making the side quests irrelevant.

There are essentially two groups of gamers that they made two different games for:

The first are normal people who are going to buy the new Diablo game, play the campaign, enjoy it for what it is, and then leave because hey the next new shiny video game came out. They might come back when you release an expansion with more story stuff. The side missions are a ton of extra content for those people. If they roll a second character they'll probably play the campaign again because, hey, it's a fun story and that's what we're all here for! These people likely don't care about seasons at all and will never, ever, give even the tiniest of a poo poo about patch notes. No, not even the really bad ones with a million shocked youtuber face reaction videos.

The second are the ARPG dopamine addicts who begrudgingly played through the campaign once on their way to grinding monsters for end game loot for the next thousand hours. They give zero shits about the side quests because they're just a speed bump on the way to hitting max level and running the same dungeon a thousand times in a week in order to make their numbers go up. Seasons are the true game for them, and they have strong opinions about the lack of leaderboards. When you release patch notes they will pour over them for days looking for the new meta, and if they even suspect that you have made it more difficult for them to rush end game (or god help you nerfed their preferred build) they will immediately start a youtube channel or podcast or blog dedicated to why this is the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever.

And all that's fine. None of the story or side quests or any of that is wasted effort because that's how you get millions of normal people to buy the game. gently caress, I was at a dinner party a couple of months ago and a poo poo ton of pretty plain vanilla normal people were talking about playing Diablo. Not even "normal for gamers" just like typical 40 something parents who had to hire a babysitter to get out of the house for a night. And the rest of it is how you keep the rest of us weirdos hanging around for the next however many years

:jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

VOTE1 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a Utility Aspect for Necromancers in a later season.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Mailer posted:

"Vulnerable, Overpower, and Critical Strike Damage updates"

"Surely this time we can defeat basic math with balance changes!"

At this point I'm wondering if we're going to need to wait for Loot 2.0 with an expansion again.

They said previously they’re going to make vulnerable additive. They could also make crit additive. Doing both these changes would solve those being the damage stats for every build.

No idea what overpower is doing on the list tho.

pseudanonymous posted:

I know you’ve been holding onto this post waiting for the time to enlighten the thread with your original zinger, but I didn’t see anything in the season two stuff that would make the game enjoyable if you don’t find what’s in the game now fun. Care to post what made you feel like it’s leaving “early access”?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they could add uniques or aspects that allow you to scale off of pure strength/dex/int stacking, they could add affixes with flat damage that would make the additive affixes more effective, they could start over with resistance and add items that lower enemy resist

all these things are sources of damage scaling in like every other ARPG that are conspicuously absent in d4

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jaytan posted:

They said previously they’re going to make vulnerable additive. They could also make crit additive. Doing both these changes would solve those being the damage stats for every build.

To squat them all down to additive and remove any gearing decisions besides what applicable number is higher is quite the solution lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I miss sets.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

flashman posted:

A suspicious amount of the seasonal "content" is just basic qol stuff or bug fixes lol.. I guess it will remain to be seen if they can generate something better than kill an elite twice

They pushed a lot of fixes into season 2 so it's not super surprising

Personally, I set the game to the side for other things since the post 50 content turned out to not be my particular bag of things. I definitely will revisit it in season 2. The season 1 storyline stuff felt so short and the hearts not particularly interesting to me. I do want the game to do well, but so far I'm mostly not too impressed with things

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

moths posted:

I miss sets.

yea gently caress it they might as well just make sets, I doubt they're going to come up with anything like brutus' lead sprinkler or doryani's prototype or even doomfletch

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

flashman posted:

To squat them all down to additive and remove any gearing decisions besides what applicable number is higher is quite the solution lol

Yeah it’s definitely the most boring solution. I’m very interested in how they hope to ever make itemization interesting when the (apparent) ideal decision tree for items is “pick the highest item level weapon, run defensive affixes where available. Nothing else matters”

moths posted:

I miss sets.

Honestly I was here for it when they said they were getting rid of sets. I think they made the itemization kinda boring in Diablo 3. They seem to be on track to not have sets, but also not have made itemization interesting either. 🤷

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I miss sets too, but mostly as they existed in D2. They were pretty useful here and there, but weren't the be all-end all, especially in the end game. Lots of good leveling gear in there, and there was some stuff that was pretty viable as a partial set at higher levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

moths posted:

I miss sets.

Agreed, I love collecting the sets in D2R, even if many are garbage. Of course, someone will chime in and say they will add them in an expansion, which I am sure they will. Also, I am just realizing none of the middle-class unique items even have a unique appearance, that really seems like an odd place to cut corners, though I suppose it can be explained away with "lulz buy cosmetics".