Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Small White Dragon posted:

Any reason not to roll an old solo 401k into the 401k of a new job?

Old one could have better fund options, lower fees, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Appreciate the direction, whatever I was looking at was giving hard numbers for minimum income for eligibility.

There is also the non-mega backdoor Roth which makes this all the more confusing. As explained above the megabackdoor Roth is for contributing past the contribution limit in a 401k.

The regular backdoor Roth is for contributing to a Roth IRA when your MAGI is above the limit for being allowed to contribute.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I don't know if this is old news, but looks like Vanguard is getting into the pseudo-Savings Account game with a new "Cash Plus Account" offering.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I don't know if this is old news, but looks like Vanguard is getting into the pseudo-Savings Account game with a new "Cash Plus Account" offering.

They've had this for a while now but for some reason they're limiting signups. Less of an incentive now.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Residency Evil posted:

They've had this for a while now but for some reason they're limiting signups. Less of an incentive now.

Ah. That's probably why I'm just finding out. I got an email saying I could sign-up now.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
My wife and I want to move our 6-month emergency fund from the 0% checking account it’s currently in to an account where it’s earning something. I know there are a number of options out there, but I want to limit this to a HYSA or money market account. I am not going to be doing any yield chasing; I have no time for that. I want to set this up and forget about it unless there's an emergency.

The amount is $25K if it matters.

It seems like there are three main considerations:
1. FDIC insured, obviously.
2. Interest rate.
3. Ease of access. (If my roof suddenly needs to be replaced and I need 20K immediately, I don’t want to hear any excuses why I can’t get it.)

Am I missing anything obvious here for an emergency fund? Thanks!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hepcat posted:

My wife and I want to move our 6-month emergency fund from the 0% checking account it’s currently in to an account where it’s earning something. I know there are a number of options out there, but I want to limit this to a HYSA or money market account. I am not going to be doing any yield chasing; I have no time for that. I want to set this up and forget about it unless there's an emergency.

2. Interest rate.
3. Ease of access. (If my roof suddenly needs to be replaced and I need 20K immediately, I don’t want to hear any excuses why I can’t get it.)

The correct answer is probably laddering and auto rolling cds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hepcat posted:

2. Interest rate.

Sign up for Ally Bank. Don't ladder a bunch of CDs because then you can't access the money immediately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pseudanonymous posted:

The correct answer is probably laddering and auto rolling cds.

How is this the answer? The balance is tied up in CDs and you can’t access it without penalty. An ordinary HYSA is perfect for this use case.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hepcat posted:

2. Interest rate.

I'd probably go with a brokerage account and SGOV.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Sign up for Ally Bank. Don't ladder a bunch of CDs because then you can't access the money immediately.

This is what I do. The large transfers take 2 business days. If you want to be quicker, you can also Zelle from those accounts, but there are sending limits.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah there are several good HYSA options that clock in at over 4% interest and I'd just pick one of those instead of the more complicated options suggested here since the difference in returns will be marginal at best. Ally is good and at 4.25%. We use capital one 360 at 4.30% and have since it was ING direct. Good company and we've got pretty much all our accounts with them.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah there are several good HYSA options that clock in at over 4% interest and I'd just pick one of those instead of the more complicated options suggested here since the difference in returns will be marginal at best. Ally is good and at 4.25%. We use capital one 360 at 4.30% and have since it was ING direct. Good company and we've got pretty much all our accounts with them.

Yea I had a HYSA from ING Direct -> capital one and they lovingly kept the interest at .30%. Had to open a new account to get the 4.3% but hey took all of 5 seconds but still.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought a year long treasury bond ladder through my schwab account a few months ago. The first rung is maturing at the end of the month. That money plus interest is then free to re-invest right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Awkward Davies posted:

I bought a year long treasury bond ladder through my schwab account a few months ago. The first rung is maturing at the end of the month. That money plus interest is then free to re-invest right?

Also, please note that treasuries are taxable!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Also, please note that treasuries are taxable!

But only on the federal level right? Whereas HYSAs are also taxable on the state level?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

But only on the federal level right? Whereas HYSAs are also taxable on the state level?

Correct. If you pay state income taxes going directly in to treasuries has some tax benefits. Funds containing treasuries etc are much more of a difficult area to understand and it varies widely by state.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it fair to say interest rates have probably peaked and may start falling from here? Trying to decide whether to repurchase treasurys (I have a bunch that just matured) or just throw it into SGOV. Easier, but it might make sense to lock in rates.

I live in Florida, an income tax free state if it makes a difference :haw:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is it fair to say interest rates have probably peaked and may start falling from here? Trying to decide whether to repurchase treasurys (I have a bunch that just matured) or just throw it into SGOV. Easier, but it might make sense to lock in rates.

If anyone could predict with certainty where interest rates were going, they wouldn't be posting here. They would be floating on their Yacht somewhere in the Caribbean with all the profits they made from their knowledge. You have to make that decision based on what's best for you.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Market expectations on what interest rates will do is already priced into the difference between shorter term and longer term treasury bonds. The only way to game interest rates the way you want, is to correctly predict something better than the market can.

Generally it makes the most sense to buy the longest duration that meets your cash flow and liquidity needs. Sometimes there are market irregularities but it's usually not worth worrying about.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can't time the market.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
You say that, but I have it on good authority* that a market crash is coming**

* my wife's boss
* timeline TBD

drk
Jan 16, 2005

esquilax posted:

Market expectations on what interest rates will do is already priced into the difference between shorter term and longer term treasury bonds. The only way to game interest rates the way you want, is to correctly predict something better than the market can.

Yes, though even with all the combined information the market has, it will still inevitably be wrong in one direction or the other. Looking at the current yield curve versus just one year ago, long term bonds look like they were way overpriced (yielding too little). Or, maybe they were priced more or less correctly and the current high yields will drop.

To answer the original question though, assuming that you are talking about short term treasuries (1 year and less), there are lots of good options. Individual treasuries and SGOV are both good. I personally use XHLF, which is slightly longer in duration and lower fees compared to SGOV.

For the longer term, it certainly looks like a fairly reasonable time to be buying longer term treasuries as well, though long term decisions should be made based on an asset allocation plan, not current rates.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Easychair Bootson posted:

* my wife's boss
* timeline TBD

Lots of people are saying a crash is coming. But fewer than were saying a crash is coming a year ago. Does that mean we're on a trajectory to avoid a crash? I feel like we need a "percentage of analysts predicting a crash" graph over time or something.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Nobody knows.

Inflation isn't dead yet which would imply a couple more rate hikes might be coming.

But if something breaks in the economy rates would likely need to be cut.

It's all guesswork. Personally I think "higher for longer" interest rates are more likely than the market is currently pricing. So SGOV and treasuries of a under 1 year duration are where I'm sticking money at the moment.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 23, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Easychair Bootson posted:

* my wife's boss
* timeline TBD

on a long enough timeline, he's probably right!

I've been pretty happy to squat on short term treasuries this year and take my 5% but lots of opportunity cost there too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I've been pretty happy to squat on short term treasuries this year and take my 5% but lots of opportunity cost there too

I've got a mix of SGOV and 13/17/26 bills which works fine for me. Like you, I'm not super stressed about missing a few basis points here and there.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Bremen posted:

Lots of people are saying a crash is coming. But fewer than were saying a crash is coming a year ago. Does that mean we're on a trajectory to avoid a crash? I feel like we need a "percentage of analysts predicting a crash" graph over time or something.

Time to establish my derivative fund based on the change in percentage over time and really juice my profits somehow.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Like a rotten tomatoes for economic collapse?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

as others have said, no one knows with any real certainty, but for what it's worth the most recent fed minutes seems to have the markets anticipating rates will be higher for longer

maybe the bond market has successfully priced this in and we're near peak rates, but i wouldn't be astonished if were higher in six months

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Even if inflation goes down, I don’t see the Fed as being quick to cut. Rates between 4-7% seem pretty normal and I don’t think there is much desire to go near zero again without a major recession.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

H110Hawk posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How is this the answer? The balance is tied up in CDs and you can’t access it without penalty. An ordinary HYSA is perfect for this use case.

A lot of CDs have pretty minimal penalties for breaking them. I'll take a low probability of losing half of 7 month's interest in case of an emergency.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
To play devil’s advocate, non-laddered CDs might be a bad idea if the bank is not obligated to let you break them early - read the terms carefully. In times of crisis they may need to halt early withdrawals, and in extreme crisis if the bank fails the FDIC is probably not going to give you your money back before the end of the term.

Personally I am sticking with 1/3rd of my emergency fund in HYSA and 2/3rd in I-Bonds. I realize this is current unpopular but I’m not interested in wasting my time chasing a tiny bit of extra yield here and there (and it is tiny when you consider the tax advantages of I Bonds). Plus the current situation where cash rates are more than a point above inflation is unlikely to persist for long (and the treasury market agrees quite strongly)

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Does anyone else here use https://projectionlab.com/? I've found it to be an incredibly powerful tool. I've used Mint for a decade to make a budget, monitor trends, etc., but with projection lab, I plug in all my accounts it creates a detailed and customizable roadmap for the future.

For example, I can create different simulations/scenarios based on different conditions. So first, I modeled my current numbers with predictable raises, milestones, and expenses (like wanting a new car every 20 years to keep up with safety ratings). Then I created a duplicate model but changed the amount of money I'd spend on said car every 20 years; I ran one with different retirement and investments accounts to see how that might change my retirement; I ran a different scenario about whether or not it's worth it to get an advanced degree and a higher paying job in my field (it's not! I'd have to work longer once it projected the loss in income from reducing work hours while at school and the cost of the program itself against the increased pay with my age/remaining working years factored in).

Obviously this thing can't predict the future but I've found it very useful in making a plan I feel good about. I find PL + Mint to be pretty much what I need :cheers:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol I have been wondering why my IBKR funds haven't been performing that well, the usual VT and VTI stuff. Just realised it's because the USD has devalued by 15% over the last year. Wow.

I don't think it changes much for my plans but it's a bit of a reminder that I have that exchange rate exposure.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone buying long TIPS for retirement accounts?

Here's what I see this morning:

2% real yields on 25+ yrs is not bad. Many of these are selling at a substantial discount to inflation adjusted par.

On the other hand, over that long time frame, its hard to imagine stocks not doing much better than 2% real.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I go about picking which investment options to take/distribute to on my new work 401k plan

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I go about picking which investment options to take/distribute to on my new work 401k plan

Post them here if you want some input.

Generally speaking you want some broadly diversified index funds with fees under 0.5% (less than 0.10% would be better, but not everyone has options that cheap)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Info we'd need:

Ticker symbol
Expense ratio

For all the options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've got a mix of SGOV and 13/17/26 bills which works fine for me. Like you, I'm not super stressed about missing a few basis points here and there.

The game I would like to play / automate is keep the least amount of money in my Checking account possible and in a timely fashion ID the credit card bills due that month (unpredictable because I expense tons of stuff for work), sell the appropriate amount of SGOV, transfer to Checking, pay bill.

It just doesn't seem worth the overdraft risk / time commitment in doing that though, unless I'm missing something and should just move my credit card payments / etc. to be sourced out of a Fidelity checking account / something that lets me park in FZDXX until the last possible moment.