Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: AMAZING LIFE HACKS! Optometrists don’t want you to know this!

Oh good, we've got political cartoonists giving out bad medical advice now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

He's obviously mocking said advice.
Also as the son of a prominent optometrist I resent the notions presented!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Microplastics posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Gaslighting

Man for real. I wish I had no soul and could make a living scribbling out an ugly rear end cartoon in 5 minutes and filling it with stupid lies.

Everyone criticizing a judge for taking "gifts" from billionaires must be segregationists

People concerned about another record breaking heat wave probably just don't understand August is hotter than January, sure why not

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone who has not let go of the mistaken assumption that there is any way possible to represent progressive events and policies that won't have right wingers foaming at the mouth and screaming whatever slur or slur-replacement that recieved the most positive polling most recently really needs to let that go. Be gay, do crime, smoke weed and hail satan and pretend you don't see the conservative hit pieces telling you that the abuse being thrown at you is your fault and they'd treat you nicer if you were more polite.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That's not an elephant.... or a penis...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Looks like Tats of Sinfest has hit the big times. He was being retweeted by the psycho who shot a store owner because they had a pride flag displayed in California

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

some kinda jackal posted:

"Perhaps your generation can help pass down valuable scientific knowledge and help aid engagement in.."

"LOOK WOKE TRANS GROOMERS BRINGING FENTANYL FROM MEXICO TO APPLY IN FORCED ABORTIONS TO PATRIOT HOUSEHOLDS"
Best Non-Illustrated Parody/Edit

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

This is a commentary on the whole gas stove thing, isn't it? Because we all know the government can only focus on one thing at a time.

Also, the metaphor doesn't even make any sense. Is the fentenyl supposed to be the pan or the heat? The pan itself doesn't do anything without the heat. If it's the heat, then the government is apparently swapping out one thing of fentenyl for another?

This deserves a Kellies Nomination, but I can't figure out which one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1694334439088628110?t=8C3Yz7_4lJjLlf9onduqRQ&s=19

New Bors Lubchansky comic

the_steve fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 23, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JamesBont posted:

This is a commentary on the whole gas stove thing, isn't it? Because we all know the government can only focus on one thing at a time.

Also, the metaphor doesn't even make any sense. Is the fentenyl supposed to be the pan or the heat? The pan itself doesn't do anything without the heat. If it's the heat, then the government is apparently swapping out one thing of fentenyl for another?

Oh now I see it. I didn't even think of that because of how much I associate "upgrading from gas ovens" with induction cooktops that I didn't think "gas oven replacement" when I saw a lovely resistive ring cooker, I saw "government is slow and backwards."

Kellies Nomination: Worst Metaphor maybe

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JamesBont posted:

Big gubberment taking my fentanyl away

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stantis looking up at a giant "be as loved as Bill Watterson" sign in the sky while sitting in a cardboard box.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It’s a Lubchansky actually.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"boy. biden sure is corrupt" but...forever and ever and ever. no proof. just vague accusations and "boy. biden sure is corrupt"

Guavanaut posted:

Stantis looking up at a giant "be as loved as Bill Watterson" sign in the sky while sitting in a cardboard box.
there are tear holes in the color from where the fill function didn't work right.
loving pathetic
edit: his god damned tail is sticking out from behind the box. it's literally cut and paste comics

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

InsertPotPun posted:

edit: his god damned tail is sticking out from behind the box. it's literally cut and paste comics

My favorite is still from a few month back where he reused at background from an earlier strip and didn't bother to remove Carmen and Winslow from that strip so they are in frame twice.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Trump’s risk of incarceration – Former president has been criminally indicted four times, including on racketeering and conspiracy charges, and faces a series of trials in 2024"

Telegraph:

Matt:

British Museum missing more than 1,500 priceless objects

Independent:

Labour rows back workers’ rights pledge in latest U-turn

Times:

Evening Standard:

Donald Trump confirms he will skip Republican debate for presidential candidate; All seven children and teacher rescued from cable car dangling 900ft above Pakistan ravine

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

ALOHA JOE…BLUE HAWAII SEES RED
Cartoon published 08/23/2023

Hawaii has long been among the bluest of blue states for Democrats. No doubt most Hawaiian citizens voted for Biden. That may be changing.

Hawaiians, particularly those on the island of Maui, are not happy with Joe. First he insulted them by coldly stating ‘no comment’ after the devastating fire in Lahaina. At the time, Joe was enjoying still yet another vacation on a beach in Delaware. Joe’s ‘no comment’ period stretched a full week, and then another week passed before outrage forced him to travel to our 50th state. Traffic was stopped to accommodate his security. The residents in Maui were no doubt annoyed that they were late to work as a result, but the worst was yet to come.

Biden actually made lame jokes including one about the ground underneath his feet being ‘hot, man!’ He proposed giving burned-out residents $700 and tied it to even more billions of taxpayer dollars being sent to Ukraine. Then, perhaps in some effort to ‘connect’ with the residents, Biden spewed his lie about almost losing his wife to a kitchen fire. Thank goodness she was saved by fireman—along with his cat and rare Corvette! This was an ugly insult to those who lost everything—including children.

Then Biden fell asleep during a memorial event. At one point Biden looked dazed and confused at the podium. A Hawaiian official offered Joe a bottle of water. Joe acted as if he didn’t hear him and numbly shuffled off, apparently unaware of where he was.

LET’S STAY IN TOUCH! SIGN UP FOR OUR GRRRNEWSLETTER TODAY!
Meanwhile, FEMA officials were enjoying their stay at several beachfront five-star hotels in Wailea at around $1,000 per night while fire victims received $700. We have a corrupt government that feels it deserves the royal treatment.

Meanwhile, Biden’s motorcade was met with well-deserved curse words and stiff mid digits erupting from citizens on the island. Aloha, Joe.

— Ben Garrison

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the residents of Maui are most concerned about being punctual at the office at the moment Ben.

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Also if you scrape off the science words and lab equipment that Ramirez googled to look smart, the joke here is "a woman shows her male colleague a trailer from an enormously popular movie, because the author considers this to be a girl's movie, this means that the woman is bad at math", or "feminine looking things don't belong in science labs."

Either way, Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry - Sexism

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1694064249318851021?s=20

Sure Ben, like you gave a poo poo about Hawaii before this beyond visiting it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nick Soapdish posted:

Sure Ben, like you gave a poo poo about Hawaii before this beyond visiting it
Overwhelmingly the response I see from the right wing base is "gently caress Hawaii though, they're still going to vote Democrat after this so they can all burn for all I care".
Conservatives never cared about the people on the other side at any level and they have not felt the need to pretend otherwise in a long time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

“I care about what Hawaiian people think!” Garrison insists as he shows us this picture of a native Hawaiian sacrificing Joe Biden to a volcano.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

The countries the objects were looted from know exactly how the British Museum feels.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

logger posted:

The countries the objects were looted from know exactly how the British Museum feels.

That's honestly what makes things so galling. Whenever a former colonial state goes "Hey, can we have some of our stuff back?" one of the standard responses from museums is always "Well it's much safer when we keep these things in our basement. Could you imagine what would happen if you kept it in your ghastly countries?"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

This isn't an awful idea, but I feel like it would have worked better as a cartoon if he'd had a donkey holding the trophy or something along those lines rather than resorting to "The Democrats" as a label.

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Didn't someone else already do this exact cartoon?

Carlos Latuff

Randall Enos - Happy Labor Day

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Treasurer Jim Chalmers is releasing the Intergenerational Report today: Intergenerational Report: what we already know about the document that will shape Australia's next 40 years (ABC).

Rowe:

Qantas has added designs in support for the Voice on their planes. Also they allowed Albanese's son into the Chairman's Lounge and stopped providing copies of the Australian Financial Review (the paper publishing this cartoon).

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

NAPLAN = National Assessment Program - Literacy And Numeracy. One in three school students not meeting numeracy and literacy expectations, NAPLAN results show (ABC). Albanese saying he won't read that is a reference to him saying he hasn't read the "full" Ulura Statement from the Heart, the true scary one that they don't want you to read. :tinfoil:

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Nihilarian posted:

Anyone who has not let go of the mistaken assumption that there is any way possible to represent progressive events and policies that won't have right wingers foaming at the mouth and screaming whatever slur or slur-replacement that recieved the most positive polling most recently really needs to let that go. Be gay, do crime, smoke weed and hail satan and pretend you don't see the conservative hit pieces telling you that the abuse being thrown at you is your fault and they'd treat you nicer if you were more polite.

When you say "do crime", I don't think you really mean "commit a mass shooting", or "deal cocaine to kids", or "commit sexual assault". But you don't explain what you mean at all. You just say "do crime".

I believe that by "do crime" you really mean humanitarian things that the right-wing are criminalizing, liking helping a woman get abortion-related medical care if she needs it, or helping a trans person get the medical care they need.

But you just say "do crime". It doesn't matter what you say on this dead comedy forum anyway, and no, nothing anyone says will ever make progressive policies appealing to the right wing.

But if you're ever talking to a broader audience, and you just say "do crime", a lot of people who are neither on the left nor the right won't understand what you mean. The people who aren't on the left or the right will think you're actually advocating crime that hurts people, like murder or rape or armed robbery.

You've given a micro-example of the overall point I was trying to make.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

When you say "we shall overcome" I know you don't mean you're going to overcome your enemies like at Hindenburg Line and kill tens of thousands of people in an orgy of conquest until surrender or death stops you, I think you mean that you will triumph nonviolently over segregation and racism, but if you're ever talking to a broader audience who doesn't know what you mean, dangerous slogans like that are just hurting your own cause.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Ma'am that stuff isn't food grade so I can't in good conscience sell it to you."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Give me liberty or give me death" that makes you sounds like a fanatic or a suicide bomber, what about "give me liberty or give me brunch"

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Victar posted:

When you say "do crime", I don't think you really mean "commit a mass shooting", or "deal cocaine to kids", or "commit sexual assault". But you don't explain what you mean at all. You just say "do crime".

I believe that by "do crime" you really mean humanitarian things that the right-wing are criminalizing, liking helping a woman get abortion-related medical care if she needs it, or helping a trans person get the medical care they need.

But you just say "do crime". It doesn't matter what you say on this dead comedy forum anyway, and no, nothing anyone says will ever make progressive policies appealing to the right wing.

But if you're ever talking to a broader audience, and you just say "do crime", a lot of people who are neither on the left nor the right won't understand what you mean. The people who aren't on the left or the right will think you're actually advocating crime that hurts people, like murder or rape or armed robbery.

It's a good point. Despite what some people here obstinately refuse to acknowledge, political messaging does matter. And there is no doubt that the right is better at presenting simplistic slogans that emotionally resonate with low information voters than the left does. And if people say there is no left in the USA, fine. The GOP is better at it than the Democrats. Makes no difference with regard to your point.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it. The right feeds on simplicity and rigidity. The left tolerates ambiguity and understands that context matters. Slogans often hurt us, because the right can twist them easily (because they have no shame). Even something as clean as Black Lives Matter was twisted because it didn't formally say "Black Lives Also Matter."

I got no solutions.

predicto fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 24, 2023

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

The placement of the tusks irritates me. Tusks are modified teeth, they are part of the upper jaw and jut from the elephants mouth.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

logger posted:

The placement of the tusks irritates me. Tusks are modified teeth, they are part of the upper jaw and jut from the elephants mouth.

I vaguely recall this has been a consistent feature of Zyglis’s elephant men.

edit: yep. He draws normal elephants normally, but he draws the tusk on the ele-men coming out at the cheekbone, so it's accurate relative to the trunk and nothing else.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

logger posted:

Yeah that bothered me too.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Kellies nomination: Best Edit

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Original for convenience.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 24, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Victar posted:

literally anyone who thinks be gay do crime means rape and murder is a right winger, and would react exactly the same if you said be gay bake cookies

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Be gay, eat cheese pizza with walnut sauce

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

oh that's lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

literally anyone who thinks be gay do crime means rape and murder is a right winger, and would react exactly the same if you said be gay bake cookies

Sure - for anyone under 35 or so, this is true. Older people, not so much. They may not think it literally means rape and murder, but they will still have a negative emotional reaction to it.