Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

redreader posted:

Does anyone here regularly use steam remote play together? https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay

I used it for streets of rage and it works but it's a loving nightmare to set up:

I’m guessing this won’t be very helpful, but fwiw this feature should work without hassle on PlayStation.

E: but I tested it a long time. I think it should work for 4 players, but I don’t remember for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

redreader posted:

"but you can assign controllers to each player with the interface!" that does nothing! it sucks!

Yeah, this sucks a lot. It takes me like 3-6 tries before it accepts that I want to change controllers around.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

I tried that Moonbreaker game since it's free to try right now and I like the idea and the presentation but only having 1v1 online pvp at the moment means I'll just leave this on the wishlist for now. Sounds like they're adding bot matches *soon*, but there's another mode that I guess is an actual single player possibly roguelike thing that might be more interesting to me that is not in the game yet. So right now the game is basically just "painting" figures and online 1v1 matches and eh.

Just double checked now that I'm back at my desk; Cargo Run is in fact there. So it's not strictly a PvP game.

When you click "Battle" on the main menu, it'll give you 3 options on the left - Unranked, Ranked, and then below the dividing line is Cargo Run.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

Yeah, this sucks a lot. It takes me like 3-6 tries before it accepts that I want to change controllers around.

So you try it a bunch of times and it works sometimes? I didn't know that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Just double checked now that I'm back at my desk; Cargo Run is in fact there. So it's not strictly a PvP game.

When you click "Battle" on the main menu, it'll give you 3 options on the left - Unranked, Ranked, and then below the dividing line is Cargo Run.

Ah okay, that's good to know. I was looking at whatever was on the main menu that was listed as Coming Soon and assumed that was the solo element. I didn't write the game off entirely I just think it's probably something I'd enjoy more once it's complete so I'll for sure be keeping tabs on it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I picked up Wrestlequest and the first hour is pretty well done. It's easy to understand, looks good and goes all in on the wrestling gimmicks.

It has a QTE version of the Mario RPG mechanic where you hit a button as a hit lands. That's the main complaint people have about it. I'm playing on a controller and mostly keep up despite having rusty face button memory. There's also an option to extend the QTE window. So yeah, that's nowhere near a dealbreaker.

There's a pin mechanic that I find tricky, got to hit a button as two adjacent sliders align. Same minigame thing you do in golf games, but here missing the input means your opponent gets up. I'm rolling with it for now. It fits the theme that not every pin is perfect. There's an auto-pin option though. I might turn that on if it gets annoying.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
While we're on the topic: is there any software that allows 'remote local play' but is not steam, and works better? I assume no, but it's worth asking. I see one vote for playstation already. Is there anything on PC?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

I had a fantastic time at launch with Cyberpunk 2077 and enjoyed myself the whole game, I bet I'm going to do the same thing with this expansion :toot:

Too many great games all at once though, dang.

I liked it well enough to play it through twice, once as pure melee and once as cyberware focused. And it looks like those are two of the things they're leaning heavily into in the expansion, so I'm sure I'll go back to it again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

redreader posted:

While we're on the topic: is there any software that allows 'remote local play' but is not steam, and works better? I assume no, but it's worth asking. I see one vote for playstation already. Is there anything on PC?

Parsec

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

redreader posted:

Parsec exists and I had no idea until recently is free to use the basic level which gives you pretty much everything you need. I've had more luck recently with Steam's integration when it comes to input lag though. Tried Vampire Survivors over parsec with some friends and it ran like poo poo and had massively delayed controls but steam remote play just worked. Other times we tried parsec and it worked fine though so it might just be down to network traffic or something.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

redreader posted:

Parsec, but it's surprisingly buggy as gently caress. When it works it works great, but the issues it has are bizarre considering it's a program with nowhere as wide scope as Steam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

easily the highest rated AC installment and most of the reviews i saw also came from mech heads rather than people who had only ever played dark souls

one review also said the game ran well on lower-end specs so that could be a nice positive for once

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Given that elden ring STILL runs like poo poo with freezes every few seconds even at 1080p on my 3080 video card and runs great on lower-spec machines of friends... I think I'll be getting AC on my ps5 if I get it. I don't trust (new) 3d games to run correctly on pc, and if From hasn't fixed elden ring for me, I'm not going to trust armoured core to run properly on my pc.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redreader posted:

Given that elden ring STILL runs like poo poo with freezes every few seconds even at 1080p on my 3080 video card and runs great on lower-spec machines of friends... I think I'll be getting AC on my ps5 if I get it. I don't trust (new) 3d games to run correctly on pc, and if From hasn't fixed elden ring for me, I'm not going to trust armoured core to run properly on my pc.
Assuming you're up to date on video drivers, have you checked your motherboard drivers? "One weird PC trick" that often fixes the most obscure random strange issues.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

redreader posted:

I'm of a similar mind. I played ER on PS5 which ran fine besides some minor framerate dips, while the Steam version seemed plagued with loading stutters. It's nice to have both systems available to me, but it does seem like the big AAA releases are doing better on PS5 besides poo poo like Jedi Survivor, which ran like rear end on everything.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jedi survivor was the last game I beat (got it as an amd freebie) and I still felt ripped off because of the graphical problems.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

redreader posted:

I didn't have any issues on my 3080. Is it maybe a CPU bottleneck?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Adding to this, as I've got 100+ hours logged in Moonbreaker and that was actually my first time ever doing Cargo Run haha. It's actually a lot of fun. You pick your Roster then throughout the 5 "levels" of the run you'll find various upgrades that can do things like allow a unit to use its abilities twice per turn, or attack twice, or gain more HP or just all kinds of strong effects.

It felt a little too easy, but definitely fun for a more casual mode when I don't have the brain power to really focus.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kragger99 posted:

I didn't have any issues on my 3080. Is it maybe a CPU bottleneck?

Maybe! I'm running the (oldish but not ancient yet) goon favourite of AMD 3600 + tomahawk max, and have 16gb ram, it's on one of the fancy new SSD's (NVME?), newest graphics drivers, and yes I know that when I get new drivers it has to rebuild the shaders or whatever.

Orv
May 4, 2011
PC gaming is such a nightmare, honestly. I see things all over with people talking about how AC6 is probably going to run like trash because Elden Ring did, while my anecdotal experience with ER was that it ran completely flawlessly because PCs are basically magic.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I didn’t beat ER so maybe it’s worse the further in you go but outside of the place where you fight the giant knight right outside of the tutorial I don’t think I had a single performance complaint. The game ran and looked amazing. It feels like 75% of the time I’ll play a game then go off to read others talking about it and doing nothing but complaining about stuff I didn’t notice. Who knows!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Orv posted:

PC gaming is such a nightmare, honestly. I see things all over with people talking about how AC6 is probably going to run like trash because Elden Ring did, while my anecdotal experience with ER was that it ran completely flawlessly because PCs are basically magic.

That's not "PC gaming is a nightmare" it's "From are lazy and poo poo".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PC gaming is at the very least a hassle. Problems pop up all the time, both in new and old games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Uh huh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: The way I see it, yea there's a potential for a higher "overhead", but that's not a bad thing.

It's because of :pcgaming: that I developed in interest into how PCs work, how games/code works and found my way into IT. And I do think the general population would be well served to have a little bit better understanding of how these "basically magic" boxes of ours work.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
PCs rule so hard that consoles became PCs

Orv
May 4, 2011
I dunno that sounds an awful lot like being a fuckin learny

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

redreader posted:

Maybe! I'm running the (oldish but not ancient yet) goon favourite of AMD 3600 + tomahawk max, and have 16gb ram, it's on one of the fancy new SSD's (NVME?), newest graphics drivers, and yes I know that when I get new drivers it has to rebuild the shaders or whatever.

I'm on a 5800X and 32 G Ram. No idea if that factors in, but wanted to provide for comparison.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've noticed over the last 20ish years of building my own pcs and having friends with pcs etc etc, that sometimes you just get a 'poo poo combination'. One time I installed a better cpu in an older machine (it was like a 1.33x MHz speed improvement), and when emulating FF6, the music started having weird pauses in it that weren't there on the worse CPU. Faster everything is not necessarily better for every single case: sometimes two random parts in your machine don't work together correctly, but you'll find the issue only shows up in some software. I might have something like that for elden ring. I know I don't have performance issues for most FPS pc games, but Elden Ring is definitely like that for me. I suppose the problem might go away if I bought a new CPU/motherboard (and then I'd probably need to replace my ram) but I already have a ps5 and I don't have the pc components, so ps5 it is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redreader posted:

one of the youtubers who got to play it early said it runs "infinitely better" than elden ring for whatever that's worth

just getting rid of the open world and most of the foliage sets it up to run better even before any technical improvements

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've had good luck with all the recent FROM games on PC so I just went with it. I have a 3080 and also had zero Elden Ring issues :iiam:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

K8.0 posted:

Making video games is difficult btw incase noone ever pointed this out itt

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Imagine thinking "lazy devs" about Fromsoft, a developer putting out modern classics at a literally insane pace, and then actually posting it lmao

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

he is right though

https://twitter.com/delaneykingrox/status/1587012207740878849?s=20

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Imagine thinking "lazy devs" about Fromsoft, a developer putting out modern classics at a literally insane pace, and then actually posting it lmao

Japanese devs are notoriously bad at PC games.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jack Trades posted:

Japanese devs are notoriously bad at PC games.

I don't think this is true, even if it was a decade ago. If you look at the modern games that are lovely and broken on PCs they are mostly Western devs. Do Jedi Survivor or Callisto Protocol run at all yet?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bad doesn't necessarily mean lazy though. "Games are art" and all that, sure, but they still run on science and unfortunately making things run well isn't always as easy/obvious as just checking "DuhhhBuildOptimizedCode" in the project settings :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can like their games, denying that they are lazy when they put out technical mess after technical mess and are years and years behind everyone else in adopting technological improvements is ridiculous. They might make good games, but from a technical perspective that kind of sustained failure is unquestionably poo poo and/or lazy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think calling something like that lazy is necessarily the best thing to do but also it's a bit (a lot) annoying when these stuttering issues keep popping up on PC, and then it's found that it's just a lack of trying to fix it in the end so many times. It's not just JP devs either, I didn't have any issues with Dead Space remake but a lot of people did and newer Unreal engine games in general seem to have awful stuttering for a lot of people. The stuttering seemed to get better after the first few hours of Elden Ring but it still sucked while it was an issue. I don't have a PS5 and am not going to buy a PS5 just because PC ports are going back to being lovely, thankfully not to level of the 360 era in general though. I don't actually know if anything can be done on the dev side in the specific case of Unreal Engine stuttering but it just sucks and I want to complain about it sometimes. As much as I love them I have the same problem with BethSoft releasing games that have some bugs that have been existent and fixed in unofficial patches every game since Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Substandard posted:

I don't think this is true, even if it was a decade ago. If you look at the modern games that are lovely and broken on PCs they are mostly Western devs. Do Jedi Survivor or Callisto Protocol run at all yet?

Callisto Protocol ran like poo poo because they accidentally uploaded some kind of test version to Steam. Not like the game was very good anyway but they tanked their review scores even more with that mistake, once they patched it with the correct version it ran well enough.