Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It looked like a good chunk of Polk County was taken out, which is still a net good for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

redshirt posted:

That episode pissed me off. I get it, they are new to space! But even basic common sense says you don't bring your dog with you on a first contact.

Was it even a first contact? I thought it was the same species who are weird about people eating in public. Like they knew that they were weird in comparison to humans and that the tree was sacred but Archer still insisted on bringing his dog with him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I live there and I laughed because (at least currently) the part of the state they took out has very few people in it

Sadly, they managed to hit the New Florida Arcology dead-on and take out fifty million people.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem is that especially in seasons 1 and 2, the show is clearly recycling stories from TNG and VOY but not in a creative way

Eh, and?

TNG recycled plots from itself, Voyager recycled plots from TNG and itself

The cycle continues

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 3rd and 4th seasons at least try and do something different

The first two seasons are the worst two of ‘classic Berman-era Trek’ (1987-2005).

I actually feel that late TNG is worse than this tbh

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Early Enterprise has the novelty of a crew that isn't prepared for the weirdness of the galaxy and doesn't entirely know what the hell they're doing, which I think makes even the most TNG Lite episodes a little more interesting. Early Voyager in comparison is just boring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seasons 1-2 of Voyager are mostly rough yeah

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Voyager is just bland the entire way through.

Sure theres a little bit of spicy but its mixed in with the bland

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I bet Patrick Stewart was super mad when he saw how much fuckin and fightin Archer was getting to do.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Was it even a first contact? I thought it was the same species who are weird about people eating in public. Like they knew that they were weird in comparison to humans and that the tree was sacred but Archer still insisted on bringing his dog with him.

I don’t think they knew the tree was sacred but yeah Archer already knew this race was extremely easy to offend and still thought bringing his filthy animal down to the planet with him was a good idea.

He clearly only got the job cuz of nepotism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and then he gets extremely upset at the aliens instead of having any self-awareness

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I started watching ENT because I'm so deprived of new Trek, and it's not nearly as bad yet as people make out. Its LEAGUES ahead of Discovery

ENT's worst sin is aggressively recycling scripts from previous shows and outside that relying on 3-4 basic plots which are repeated in very non-creative ways until it gets mediocre (S3) and good (S4).

Being dull and repetitive for majority of the run makes it better than DISCO or PIC, both which hope to being just dull and repetitive instead of aggressively stupid and somehow finding ways to underperform season after season.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

ENT's worst sin is aggressively recycling scripts from previous shows and outside that relying on 3-4 basic plots which are repeated in very non-creative ways until it gets mediocre (S3) and good (S4).

Being dull and repetitive for majority of the run makes it better than DISCO or PIC, both which hope to being just dull and repetitive instead of aggressively stupid and somehow finding ways to underperform season after season.

I'm not seeing any of this.

So far we've had cave hallucinations, alien techno-vampirism, mpreg fanfic (gene would be proud 🥹🫡), cave people, and in the episode I just watched, Vulcan espionage. So far it's super different to prior Treks, and I've had most of TNG on repeat for 5 years

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wait I’m remembering the episode where they offended the aliens by eating in front of them. Granted that seems like an easy mistake to make in a first contact, but the captain refusing to apologize even in the face of Death By Cum is incredible, with it being the goddamn helmsman that makes an honest apology and saves everyone instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I do think the script recycling complaint is a tad overblown. For sure, there’s more than a few in there (and one down the road that is so blatant I thought they just did a name find/replace from a Voyager script), but it’s not everywhere.

Now the repeated plot beat of Archer and/or Trip getting kidnapped…that was overdone.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, I do think the script recycling complaint is a tad overblown. For sure, there’s more than a few in there (and one down the road that is so blatant I thought they just did a name find/replace from a Voyager script), but it’s not everywhere.

Now the repeated plot beat of Archer and/or Trip getting kidnapped…that was overdone.

After avoiding TOS for a long time it was eye opening when I finally gave it a chance and discovered that more than a few TNG episodes were “recycled” plots from TOS

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HD DAD posted:

...and shuttle getting stranded, and Enterprise is boarded and/or captured. I think there were 3 episodes of shuttle gets stranded within 4 episodes somewhere in the original run order.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That's pretty accurate for a lot of dog people.

<Purchase "service dog vest" from Amazon>
<Put vest on your "not" service dog">
<Take your dog where it isn't supposed to go>
<Untrained dog does something it shouldn't>
<People are understandably upset>

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

After avoiding TOS for a long time it was eye opening when I finally gave it a chance and discovered that more than a few TNG episodes were “recycled” plots from TOS

That's not so objectionable when you're an entire era of television separated from the last iteration. You can repeat the same basic plot and get totally different results. The Gorn episode isn't that much different in setup from Darmok

Production wise, VOY is a slight technological upgrade over TNG, and ENT only a slight technological upgrade over that

naem
May 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of Enterprise season 1&2 can be described as "American tourists on vacation, and their long-suffering native Vulcan guide."

Lord Hydronium posted:

Early Enterprise has the novelty of a crew that isn't prepared for the weirdness of the galaxy and doesn't entirely know what the hell they're doing, which I think makes even the most TNG Lite episodes a little more interesting. Early Voyager in comparison is just boring.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I bet Patrick Stewart was super mad when he saw how much fuckin and fightin Archer was getting to do.

There has to be a way to introduce the idea that hey this is pre-federation star trek to existing trek fans, to explain non-standard captain behavior. They didn’t explain very well imo

there has to be a way to make an easy on the eyes anyone can watch sci-fi for the general masses, I get the producers wanted that for money reasons.

attractive people rubbing gel on each other in their underpants isn’t like, not entertaining, some of that is ok. fun even.

meshing all that together was hard. A fifth season of Enterprise could have tied it all together and ended with “Hey look at our new uniforms” and they all dress and act like TOS. Jolene Blalock could start Spocking really hard and, Archer can start emoting like Shatner

SNW is smashing it out of the park on some of those things Enterprise tried, waiting for the decontamination chamber episode to be sure

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

naem posted:

SNW is smashing it out of the park on some of those things Enterprise tried, waiting for the decontamination chamber episode to be sure

52 minutes of M’Benga sternly monitoring two transporter duplicated Sam Kirks gelling each other up.

“Uh Doctor, what are you doing?”

Research, Christine!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

naem posted:

"The biofilters have broken down so either we slather gel.over each other in a special room with special (bisexual) lighting, or it's Hose Town for u. Pick one and forever hold your peace"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Think I'm going to start dressing like Martus

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Eh, and?

TNG recycled plots from itself, Voyager recycled plots from TNG and itself

The cycle continues

Ah yes, the "a bad thing happened once so no bad things are ever to be judged again" deflection.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's not that bad, at least they reuse good plots.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Ah yes, the "a bad thing happened once so no bad things are ever to be judged again" deflection.

It's not that, it's that if you're stupid enough to let things like "This plot has a lot of similarities with this other episode" bother you, your opinion doesn't matter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Enterprise in Seasons 1-2 tended to pretty lazily recycle plots, and it makes a lot more sense when you see comments from Brannon Braga about how he regrets taking the showrunner job because he was so burned out coming off of Voyager. You can see it on screen.

naem
May 29, 2011

alexandriao posted:

"The biofilters have broken down so either we slather gel.over each other in a special room with special (bisexual) lighting, or it's Hose Town for u. Pick one and forever hold your peace"

no no only women are bisexual in the star treks, and only in the mirror universe

you can tell when they are bisexual because they wear crop tops and you can see their belly buttons and they have knives and like to wrestle

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Enterprise in Seasons 1-2 tended to pretty lazily recycle plots, and it makes a lot more sense when you see comments from Brannon Braga about how he regrets taking the showrunner job because he was so burned out coming off of Voyager. You can see it on screen.

McSpanky posted:

This was damning enough on Voyager, when it was all about a lone ship stranded in a whole new part of the galaxy where everything was supposed to be fresh and exciting. For a prequel about mankind's first journey into... a whole new... where everything was sup... :ughh:

Decompress the main shuttlebay!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I like chapel too

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I liked Season 3 of Enterprise. I especially liked how being in the the expanse early on was all crazy and horrific because of those spacial anomalies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Vulcan zombie episode was tons of fun. There’s a lot of great stuff in S3 - my favorite probably being the one where they fake-kidnap Degra to get intel on him, and we start to see his side of the story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh they also rip off TNG in that season where Archer and a few others get turned into frog people like what happens to Geordi

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

naem posted:

no no only women are bisexual in the star treks, and only in the mirror universe

you can tell when they are bisexual because they wear crop tops and you can see their belly buttons and they have knives and like to wrestle

Evil Mirror Kira was the most feral IMO

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lord Hydronium posted:

I like that the transporter is unreliable and dangerous and everyone is afraid of it.

It's not a lot better in the 2400s but everyone has normalised it. Sometimes you get scattered to subspace, sometimes you get cloned or Tuvix'd NBD.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

FlamingLiberal posted:

Funny.

Watching Voyager one could easily believe he was long burnt out long before the series was half way done, or even finished the first season.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I like that the transporter is unreliable and dangerous and everyone is afraid of it.

It's not a lot better in the 2400s but everyone has normalised it. Sometimes you get scattered to subspace, sometimes you get cloned or Tuvix'd NBD.

TMP dir the best job at this. "What came back didn't live long" so instead of a transporter accident being a philosophical dilemma it's like a horrific car accident without a violent crash. Pretty chilling actually. Imagine what Paul Verhoeven would have done wity that scene.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Mulaney Power Move posted:

TMP dir the best job at this. "What came back didn't live long" so instead of a transporter accident being a philosophical dilemma it's like a horrific car accident without a violent crash. Pretty chilling actually. Imagine what Paul Verhoeven would have done wity that scene.

The "screams" is what made that scene during the transporter malfunction.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

My uncle Steve got "Tuvix'd" you callous son of a

Did it hurt when I pressed the phaser against Uncle Stevarry's temple and did the only thing that made any god drat sense? You bet, but I hope any of you bastards would do the same if it happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

davidspackage posted:

My uncle Steve got "Tuvix'd" you callous son of a

He got teleport mixed with Neelix?

Dear god, how many people has Neelix done this too!!!!!!