Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

eXXon posted:

A lot of my otherwise smart coworkers who abandoned precautions in the last year are getting it now, some for the first time. My bold prediction is that the next 6-8 weeks will be critical to determine if anyone does something about it in the subsequent 6-8 weeks.

the public health equivalents of tom friedman more or less agree with you

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/23/health/masks-covid-surge-wellness/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

setting over/unders:

uploaded sequenced cases of BA.2.86 at 1,000 by this date

predominance of BA.2.86 in the USA at large at 40%

what skills does that one bring to the table?

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

setting over/unders:

under on the first, over on the second

The horrendous undertesting will mean that the 3 people who do have BA.2.86 will completely skew the results

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

what skills does that one bring to the table?

https://slides.com/jbloom/new_2nd_gen_ba2_variant#/1

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

setting over/unders:

under for both, it's going to take a hell of a variant to pull us out of the variant soup phase and ba.2.86 doesn't appear to be that hell of a variant. i would hedge my bets on ba.2.86 loving up people who have a significant wall of prior immunity from previous infections, while xbb.whatevers continue to gently caress up people who haven't had many prior infections

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

StratGoatCom posted:

On that note, would anyone know the component markings to make sure it's a genuine aranet, given what we've seen with masks there?

If you take your aranet to bits it should look like this:

If the sensor looks anything like the below it's a cheap trash knockoff. Basically a large portion of the cost of good CO2 monitors is the sensor. The cheaper ones use a sort of analog gas sensor and it sucks since it's affected by humidity and other factors. But it is also a LOT cheaper - hence many go this route.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

:ironicat:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

that's it, im tired of the smug loving cheesemonger at best buy leering at me over my homemade banzai buddy suit. im mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore --- im solving this issue firsthand by my hand (real) (actionable) (im gonna kiss him) (stop the war)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

that's it, im tired of the smug loving cheesemonger at best buy leering at me over my homemade bonzai buddy suit. im mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore --- im solving this issue firsthand by my hand (real) (actionable) (im gonna kiss him) (stop the war)

not if he doesn't consent!!!!! then you're just making it worse!!!!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

that's it, im tired of the smug loving cheesemonger at best buy leering at me over my homemade bonzai buddy suit. im mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore --- im solving this issue firsthand by my hand (real) (actionable) (im gonna kiss him) (stop the war)

bonzi buddy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lib and let die posted:

not if he doesn't consent!!!!! then you're just making it worse!!!!

stroking his hair tenderly as I whisper (shout) sweetly in his ear -- mind if we take these halfmasks off sweetie?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

bonzi buddy

miss that little guy

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

captainbananas posted:

the public health equivalents of tom friedman more or less agree with you

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/23/health/masks-covid-surge-wellness/index.html

The fact that CNN, altar of the priests of Everything Is Normal, is saying this should be disturbing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

The fact that CNN, altar of the priests of Everything Is Normal, is saying this should be disturbing.

I think we've punched through the hypernormalization phase and now that public health has been gutted and interventions are never coming back, there's plenty of room for concerned experts to talk about how it's still a problem*

*For eighty year olds, not you, you don't need to worry about this

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Article noting an increased time between symptom onset and testing positive:
"New Covid variant Eris symptoms appear a week before positive test? Know all about this 'pre-Covid' phenomenon"

https://www.hindustantimes.com/life...2790541911.html posted:

Experts say this could be because when a person contracts a virus, it takes time for it to replicate within the body to trigger noticeable symptoms.
(..)
New Covid variant EG.5 has been spreading fast in different parts of the world and while the strain is good at escaping immunity, the symptoms remain mild, and experts say it doesn't pose a significant threat. EG.5 has been declared as a variant of interest and will be monitored for its mutations. The strain may become dominant in many countries with its rapid spread. As the Eris and other Omicron variants are being detected, people are also reporting a 'pre-Covid' phenomenon that was even being reported in the initial days of pandemic. This means that people are showing signs of Covid even with a negative test and upon being tested again after a week or so, the result comes positive.

"In the case of Eris and similar illnesses, symptoms may manifest roughly a week before a positive test because the virus or pathogen has been present in the body long enough to cause noticeable symptoms, but it might still take a little more time for the viral load to reach a level detectable by the testing methods in use," adds Dr Saxena.
(..)

I don't think the reason given makes a lot of sense and I would like to see some data on differences in organ cell binding, as that would seem a likelier reason for a recent change, than something that should have been true for a while.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I came across Tim Heidecker's rant about Joe Rogan again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5q1m2kC00
and I think this is basically what a lot of people are channeling RE: any amateur engagement at all.

I mean, I kinda feel that way, about myself - I don't really want to know what myocarditis is.

Homeless Friend posted:

thats been true in cspam, SA and irl forever.

god once sent us fishmech to train the faithful

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'd like to see some data on increased symptomatic negative rates themselves before deciding it's a real thing; it's not like we haven't seen fifty different mass delusions that this variant causes hives or that variant is milder that got started on social media and didn't pan out when studied later. Like, there aren't even an overwhelming number EG.5 cases in the mix that you should notice a variant-specific presentation relative to the soup of other variants going around right now.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Back from dentist, my smile is clean and intact and still only for people I feel safe unmasked around.

Less shitposty, I was listening to Your Wrong About on the way in, specifically the episode on acid rain, and they did an interesting thing where they drew parallels between the anti-anti-acid rain activism and the anti-anti-tobacco activism, where there's lots of sealioning about "oh the results just aren't in yet" and "we lack sufficiently rigorous studies" and so on, and a lot of the fuel for such activism is that, because of the fractal nature of information, you can always find some scale where people haven't done studies yet and use that as a wedge issue to push for inaction on the basis of skepticism. Which, gotta, say, feels a lot like what I get into when I hear most public discourse around clean air today.

Of course as anybody who got through philosophy 101 can point out, motivated skepticism is very easy to do and not at all a pragmatic way to live.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

In respirator your trust only news, I'm now ten days out from returning from a cross country trip where I got hugged and kissed by like fifty aunties and didn't get got so yeah n95s work

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Well it was 3 years but I got got. Getting anything from my doctor is like pulling teeth but maybe I can get some paxlovid outta them.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Mar 22, 2024

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd like to see some data on increased symptomatic negative rates themselves before deciding it's a real thing; it's not like we haven't seen fifty different mass delusions that this variant causes hives or that variant is milder that got started on social media and didn't pan out when studied later. Like, there aren't even an overwhelming number EG.5 cases in the mix that you should notice a variant-specific presentation relative to the soup of other variants going around right now.

You've got people out there talking about strains of covid and how this one makes your eyes dry but this other one makes them sweaty and it just sounds exactly like somebody being difficult at a dispensary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

thalweg posted:

Well it was 3 years but I got got. Getting anything from my doctor is like pulling teeth but maybe I can get some paxlovid outta them.

sorry to hear goon :( good luck and sesamecare / drb are right there if you can't.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

You've got people out there talking about strains of covid and how this one makes your eyes dry but this other one makes them sweaty and it just sounds exactly like somebody being difficult at a dispensary

This is a real full body mellow covid, it really relaxes your t-cells

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

oh my God I can feel this

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

The Oldest Man posted:

yep. how would people even know it was EG.5 unless they explicitly got it sequenced? also i still haven't seen any of the "pre-COVID" stories even directly quoting one social media account saying this is happening to them at the given week-long duration, so far it all seems to be hearsay and newspapers pointing at each other, and might just be explainable by people not being very good at taking tests

not to say it can't happen, of course

Real Mean Queen posted:

lmao

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

thalweg posted:

3 years is a great record, hopefully another 3 after this round.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

Great post

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real Mean Queen posted:

also lmao I feel you here

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lmao at this loving headline (also added a not great nugget of info).

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...als-2023-08-23/ posted:

US CDC says new COVID lineage could cause infections in vaccinated individuals
(..)
CDC, however, said virus samples are not yet broadly available for more reliable laboratory testing of antibodies.
(..)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

CDC is antivax

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Watch out, these new wildfires can burn people who wear pants.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
what's the thread consensus on beets rn?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

I watched it but didn't record anything. Most of them talking had nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2 and they frequently got bogged down discussing how to best work the terminology and if they could please make it "3rd grade level" so people who aren't doctors or nurses going into a patient room will know whether or not they need to be wearing gown and gloves.

Then it was over a half hour of mostly good public comments mixing regular public opinions and some representative heavy-hitters including Cal/OSHA. Unsurprisingly all the calls were focusing on the lack of transparency, COVID-19, and how not addressing patient safety is causing net harm. Also which one of you is the "professional investor"?

Can is kicked down the road till they have an in person meeting in Nov. which is apparently when they're going to vote on what recommendations they want to send to the CDC which will be open to another round of public comment. Though since they took the video down I'm going to tack on a "maybe" to that last sentence.

[edit]

Found a full audio recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxO6cwP9pU

Found the full recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

call_of_qthulhu posted:

what's the thread consensus on beets rn?

im not speaking for the thread but beets are fuckin delicious and good for you, eat em up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.