Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope it's Nineball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

I hope the final boss is the dude who was talking to you on the radio the entire time and he has some badass mech, and he’s going after you because you suddenly realized you were doing war crimes for the corpos and are a rogue element that is too badass to be stopped by anyone else.

…poo poo, it’s gonna be that, isn’t it.

That’s just VD so probably

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ZeeBoi posted:

I hope the final boss is the dude who was talking to you on the radio the entire time and he has some badass mech, and he’s going after you because you suddenly realized you were doing war crimes for the corpos and are a rogue element that is too badass to be stopped by anyone else.

…poo poo, it’s gonna be that, isn’t it.

I hope the boss is President Michael Wilson.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Foundation Man wasn't the final boss per se, but he did sic J on you. Walter might not be the final boss but he'll definitely throw some ultra motherfucker AC at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011

mdct posted:

The Foundation Man wasn't the final boss per se, but he did sic J on you. Walter might not be the final boss but he'll definitely throw some ultra motherfucker AC at least.

Walter betraying you is the easiest call in video game history

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
when can i preload on steam damnit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sitting here f5ing gmg for my key...

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
No ring

Solumin posted:

Most of the criticism I've seen isn't about the story, but rather how they tell it: mission briefing slideshows, which aren't particularly engaging, and mid-combat NPC blurbs, which can be easy to miss when you're trying not to die.
It kind of matters when they expect you to side with a faction when choosing missions, which is apparently how the story branches. Not telling the story well detracts from that.

That said, I really don't expect it to matter much.
I did like the IGN review saying something to the effect of "The story was a bunch of powerpoints and audio clips. So I didn't really care and just wanted to complete missions." Which, even when you don't care about engaging with the story in any way, is still basically engaging with the story. "All these different factions try to convince me to help them out, but man I don't care about that boring political poo poo. I'm a mercenary: I will do whatever as long as you pay me." A mercenary who doesn't really pay attention to what is going on is pretty much the default in a lot of AC games. I wouldn't say it's the best story telling ever, but at the end of the day you are a mercenary doing a lovely things for money on a dying world. You are not a hero where destiny comes to find you. If you want to be anything more then it's on you to pay attention during the boring slide shows and in-mission dialogue. But yeah, again, it's not the most amazing way of telling the story, but I do like how it fits with the gameplay and world and have a soft spot for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm an Ace Combat fan so the story being mostly mission briefings and radio chatter sounds just fine

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
The story complaints I’ve been seeing seem like a matter of taste (although they aren’t framing it that way). Impersonal radio chatter and briefings seem entirely appropriate for the AC setting and it would be weird if you had omniscient narrator-type cutscenes going behind the scenes to show you things your nameless merc couldn’t know. no one’s gonna brief their hired gun on the political implications or long term plans behind an operation after all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solumin posted:

Most of the criticism I've seen isn't about the story, but rather how they tell it: mission briefing slideshows, which aren't particularly engaging, and mid-combat NPC blurbs, which can be easy to miss when you're trying not to die.
It kind of matters when they expect you to side with a faction when choosing missions, which is apparently how the story branches. Not telling the story well detracts from that.

That said, I really don't expect it to matter much.
yes, its an armored core game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Some random guy screaming on the radio about the duality of man while you battle to death is peak storytelling for me

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Solumin posted:

This sounds like AC1 and I kinda liked it. You can just take the most profitable missions and follow orders, or you can pay closer attention to who's paying you and pick a side.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Impersonal radio chatter and briefings seem entirely appropriate for the AC setting

Absolutely, it reinforces the coldness of everything. I don't think I ever want to see a human face in an Armored Core.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

peak storytelling is when I get a call from my opponent saying:

"Hey.

I guess there's little need for words..."

before we fight to the death in the ruins of the place he just blew up

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Reviews all seem very positive? Currently sitting at 88 on metacritic with 47 reviews. But yeah stiry seems to be the thing most negatively commented on. Which is, whatever. I just want to punch a spaceship

Orv
May 4, 2011

XavierGenisi posted:

"Hey.

Standing here I realize this is just CB with lots more misery

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNU9oF69qJI

I understand the complaints in the reviews about the mid-mission chatter and slideshows. Frankly, it can't live up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Some random guy screaming on the radio about the duality of man while you battle to death is peak storytelling for me
i like the final mission of ace combat 4 where the ground troops are trying to take out the anti-air guns and you can hear their chatter over the radio too and it features the worst french accent ever recorded

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
And as far as voice acting goes, Americans are easily blinded by British accents and immediately assign more character to them even when they're sorta monotonely saying Dark Souls dialogue. The moment the same line is said in an American one, we're vastly more critical of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WaltherFeng posted:

So... mecha, then.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Mouse + Keyboard discussion video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4Qjg_0yds

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 23, 2023

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
Has anyone seen any impressions of PC performance yet? I have been waiting to buy just in case PS5 is a better option.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Every review I have read so far has been very positive about PC performance.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The minimum and recommended specs suggest that they optimized the hell out of this game.

Or it's just less demanding.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GCValentine posted:

Has anyone seen any impressions of PC performance yet? I have been waiting to buy just in case PS5 is a better option.

Not incredibly comprehensive, but:

PCGamer posted:

While it's still lacking some of the bells and whistles we like in modern PC games, like DLSS or FSR upscaling support, the game ran fantastically on my PC (Intel Core i5-13600K, RTX 3070) with the 120 fps limit enabled, easily sailing past 60 fps and only stuttering when I got too trigger happy with the Steam screenshot key.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

acksplode posted:

Absolutely, it reinforces the coldness of everything. I don't think I ever want to see a human face in an Armored Core.

Definitely. There’s plenty of characterization that can be done without it, and some things can be detracted from by humanizing the characters too much. (On a related topic, has anyone seen any word of Patches in any reviews?)

WaltherFeng posted:

XavierGenisi posted:

"Hey.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1694393023277219994

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Deciding to go into business for myself and having the first gigantic order of stuff coming tomorrow is really harshing my Armored Core buzz. The things I do for small details like "my livelihood".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

acksplode posted:

This sounds like AC1 and I kinda liked it. You can just take the most profitable missions and follow orders, or you can pay closer attention to who's paying you and pick a side.

I liked the "personal" touches in 4A - different companies had different mission reps with different powerpoint styles. One of them whispers to you "you should take this one it pays a ton and it's good exposure", another one is basically rolling his eyes while talking about how lovely the enemy's product is or mentioning how it's a total cakewalk but they're paying for it, and that's what both of you are here for.

That's it until the Orca route lol, go make the world a worse place Lynx

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

have any of the reviews talked about the alternate story routes? that's probably the aspect of the game that I think is going to be the most disappointing

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Austin re: AC6 reviews negging the story:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1694427783509021122

Orv
May 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

have any of the reviews talked about the alternate story routes? that's probably the aspect of the game that I think is going to be the most disappointing

There's a faction choice in the story that has branching paths though I don't think anyone talked about how heavily they branch and NG+ provides some more stuff as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Orv posted:

There's a faction choice in the story that has branching paths though I don't think anyone talked about how heavily they branch and NG+ provides some more stuff as well.

Eurogamer review said there were 3 explicit branch points in their first playthrough.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's pretty good then, 20-30 hours is already huge for an AC game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orv posted:

That's pretty good then, 20-30 hours is already huge for an AC game.

Yeah, you can easily beat 2, 3, and Silent Line in like 5 hours, so 20 to 30 for an Armored Core is incredible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some choices also only unlock on a second run, according to pcgamer

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

This story stuff is all the fault of the anime voice actors. Fromsoft should have known you need to use the finest European voices money can buy if you want people to like your story.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Joke's on you, I like anime!!!!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

8-bit Miniboss posted:

anime voice is objectively worse than a posh british man laughing menacingly