Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
On the issue of this being an overt assassination, Prigozhin did after all commit literal treason. If he had been killed during the coup-lite I don't think anyone would have batted an eye, this is only weird because it took this long.

Will be "fun" to see how Wagner responds, which depends on: 1) how scattered they are, 2) if they feel they're next 3) how concerned they are about getting paid going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i can't wait for solovyov to have cool CGI reenactments showing that it was, in fact, downed by a cleverly hidden ukrainian air force jet

i am a moron posted:

Prigozhin had the weirdest character arc of anyone in the latest season of Earth

my friend, you need to read https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/david-e-hoffman/the-oligarchs/9781610390705/

all the 90s oligarchs had weird character arcs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It would be the funniest thing if the SBU did this and Putin would know that but there would be no chance in the world to convince anyone that he didn't do it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Orthanc6 posted:

On the issue of this being an overt assassination, Prigozhin did after all commit literal treason. If he had been killed during the coup-lite I don't think anyone would have batted an eye, this is only weird because it took this long.

Will be "fun" to see how Wagner responds, which depends on: 1) how scattered they are, 2) if they feel they're next 3) how concerned they are about getting paid going forward

Good news! Freshly mobilized reinforcements to send to the front! Veterans even! This can only be good for Russia.

Either that or Lukashenko adopts them. I don't really see a middle ground there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this will be like the epstein suicide, even if no proof of foul play ever emerges you cannot convince me this was a random plane crash

There is a process in place for investigating political murders in Russia. Putin will personally promise to find and punish those responsible, then the police will find two random Chechen guys who are inconspicuously two handshakes away from Kadyrov, and will never identify the person who ordered the hit. They will then pretend to continue fruitlessly investigating it for the next ten years until everyone forgets it happened.

E: Although now they have the perfect opportunity to blame Ukraine. That would be an interesting twist on the formula. Maybe they'll even arrest a couple more nazi fans of casual life sims.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Are we sure he's even dead? We don't even know if he was on the plane and for all we know he's probably just retired in Africa somewhere.

Faking his own death would be a very smart thing for him to do, but I can't imagine they won't DNA test or such.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nenonen posted:

It would be the funniest thing if the SBU did this and Putin would know that but there would be no chance in the world to convince anyone that he didn't do it.

if that theory took hold it makes putin look weak yet again, so yeah I could see it being the case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Orthanc6 posted:

The funny thing is this just means that the next coup leader won't back down when his coup starts actually working

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
Russian AA Goes Ballistic, Wagner Boss Gets Toasted

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The funny thing is this just means that the next coup leader won't back down when his coup starts actually working
Yeah, that's one of the big takeaways.

- Everyone else is going to stand around and shrug
- Don't stop until the job is done

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That’s exactly right. This also makes Prigozhin a martyr potentially, which is much more dangerous since you can’t kill that. Prigozhin was much more popular and liked by the people so this very well be a huge mistake on Putin’s part.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BBC changed their headline to 'feared dead.'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Looks like the eponymous Dmitry 'Wagner' Utkin was on the same plane. All not too far away from Putin's Valdai residence.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oracle posted:

By whom?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oracle posted:

I can't think of anyone on the planet afraid of that

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm so scared for Prigozhin, folks.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this will be like the epstein suicide, even if no proof of foul play ever emerges you cannot convince me this was a random plane crash

If I'd a found out prighozin was on the same flight as me over russia i wouldn't be all like "oh no, I'm about to be dead of ... clearly accidental issues"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
BBC is reporting that TASS is reporting that bodies are being recovered. 4 bodies found so far.

The summary on BBC also says 10 people were on board, 3 of them crew.

E: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-66599774

This link is being live blogged. As of this time I pasted it there’s no pictures or anything but I can’t guarantee there won’t be when they update it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 23, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
having seen an alleged video of the plane crashing, to my eyes it's in a flat spin and trailing a plume of what looks like fuel as it goes down. i guess it's possible some mechanical failure on takeoff caused the pilot to panic and stall out, but seems a rather odd way for a crash to occur

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

having seen an alleged video of the plane crashing, to my eyes it's in a flat spin and trailing a plume of what looks like fuel as it goes down. i guess it's possible some mechanical failure on takeoff caused the pilot to panic and stall out, but seems a rather odd way for a crash to occur

flat spin and smoking is 100% hit by a missile

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Finally an answer to the question: "what air defense doing?"

I wonder what the longer term results of this will be.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FuturePastNow posted:

I guess it could happen if the vertical stabilizer fell off, or some kind of hydraulic failure involving a blown out line got it stuck hard over. But, uh...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
BBC say 8 bodies found now.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nenonen posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Wagner's Died of the Valkyries

War in Ukraine CE: Russian AA celebrates successful denazification

War in Ukraine CE: Highest defenestration record broken

War in Ukraine CE: Why would anyone else get on that plane?

War in Ukraine CE: "feared" dead

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

FuturePastNow posted:

Probably, but we should wait for the official investigation from Moscow before we jump to conclusions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm glad everyone in the thread can take off their armchair war expert hat and put on their armchair flight crash investigator hat

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo I didn't think of that

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's a big splash of smoke in the air around where it looks like it started falling so I would certainly put my money on an explosion of some kind.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Highest defenestration record broken

I'm just going to choose to believe the AA system used to assassinate Prigozhin would have stopped the drone from hitting the tower in Moscow last night, but couldn't because it was moved to instead murder some people Putin didn't like. That would be poetry.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

daslog posted:

Probably, but we should wait for the official investigation from Moscow before we jump to conclusions.

Oh yeah, that will be conclusive and irrefutable

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

I would say this is probably a good idea just in general.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It sounds like Wagner has been involved in many of the coups in Africa. Are there any reports about his post coup involvement? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing where the new ruler just says, "Thanks, here's your check, see you never". It seems like Wagner would be around for security and keeping a percentage.

Even if Wagner has been weakened in general, this seems like it will lead to a messy transition.,

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder what happens to the Wagner members in Belarus now. I dont know what they really can do, they are leaderless at this point. Hell I wonder what will happen to Wagner as an organization. Maybe they are done for.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

daslog posted:

I really can't tell if you're serious or joking.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
What a patriot, bravely using his plane to reenact Russia’s recent lunar lander mission

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

Tomn posted:

I really can't tell if you're serious or joking.

I don't know, they're actually pretty reliable, in a twisted way. Whatever the Kremlin's official line is, you can safely assume the opposite is true.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

War in Ukraine CE: We now know what air defense doing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

War in Ukraine CE: Prigozhin has information that will lead to the arrest of

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

War in Ukraine CE: What air defense did

Adbot