Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sim posted:

It drives me nuts when lycra warriors refuse to slow down on multi-use paths, even if it means passing within inches of a pedestrian at 20MPH... but at the end of the day it's nothing like the damage a car at any speed could do, so whatever

it’s car brain without the car and its also dangerous and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
four wheels bad, two wheels good

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

four wheels bad, two wheels good

i have eight

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Grassy Knowles posted:

Had some dude riding my route home yesterday that kept getting in front of me at red lights so he could jump/run the light only for me to catch up to him half a block later and pass him for the 4th time. It would be funny if I didn't know that someday I will see a cyclist get creamed by a car because they can't wait 20 seconds and think drivers are paying attention. The stupid risks I see people take on a daily basis to "save" 10 seconds of their time is total car brain with cyclists.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
listening to some gen-z idiots complain about European speed limits in cities being too low

"it's actually hard to go that slow in a bmw."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

listening to some gen-z idiots complain about European speed limits in cities being too low

"it's actually hard to go that slow in a bmw."

"skill issue"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sim posted:

It drives me nuts when lycra warriors refuse to slow down on multi-use paths, even if it means passing within inches of a pedestrian at 20MPH... but at the end of the day it's nothing like the damage a car at any speed could do, so whatever

kicking them over works way better than vs a truck too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raggedphoto posted:

Had some dude riding my route home yesterday that kept getting in front of me at red lights so he could jump/run the light only for me to catch up to him half a block later and pass him for the 4th time. It would be funny if I didn't know that someday I will see a cyclist get creamed by a car because they can't wait 20 seconds and think drivers are paying attention. The stupid risks I see people take on a daily basis to "save" 10 seconds of their time is total car brain with cyclists.

i hear people say thats safer for the biker than getting crushed against the back of a stopped car trying to wait for the light when someone comes stopping up behind them too fast on their phone or whatever.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i hear people say thats safer for the biker than getting crushed against the back of a stopped car trying to wait for the light when someone comes stopping up behind them too fast on their phone or whatever.

it is absolutely safer to thread to the front of the motor vehicles at reds, especially at any kind of intersection where your directionality might be ambiguous. even if it’s just to sit to the side at the intersection while you let those cars pass again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

see i just heard it again!
good poo poo. ride safe today all!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

see i just heard it again!
good poo poo. ride safe today all!

the number of times I’ve been stuck not threading and some dipshit decides to do a U E straight into me is obscene

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

kicking them over works way better than vs a truck too

yeah I ride a box bike and I'm like... your funeral dude

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Real hurthling! posted:

should’ve mentioned I was biking as well.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hearing more and more about these “cars” and folks, they don’t sound good

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Where do y'all thread? I do a lot of waiting in lines of cars because trying to squeeze between huge vehicles and the curb seems like suicide when anyone might turn right on red.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Even without the risk, this is just rear end in a top hat behaviour. It happens fairly often in Copenhagen, where I'll stop behind the pedestrian crossing and some idiot will insist on passing me at the red to go in front of the crossing, and then start in the highest possible gear so slowly and I can't pass him because other people are coming from behind. Then repeat at the next red that I didn't make because I couldn't start.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

It's safer to filter to the front, but not so safe to run stop lights.

I don't give poo poo about rolling through stop signs, but I've seen way too many cars floor it to get through a yellow to trust anything that happens at a light.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

sim posted:

People complain about this itt pretty often but I have literally never seen it. The Lycra warriors all ride gravel bikes out on the forest roads or just ride on the road even when there is a bike path right there. Like what kind of roadie wants to deal with pedestrians and dogs and babies and poo poo? When I was doing triathlons it was always the road in Florida of all places. The only folks who do stupid poo poo like buzzing pedestrians on the MUP I've ever seen are teenagers and drunk old men

I'm bringing this up because it seems to be an Internet kind of straw man guy whose presence as an abstraction to sow a vague distaste for cyclists might be a lot more prominent than it's actual impact.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Leroy Diplowski posted:

People complain about this itt pretty often but I have literally never seen it. The Lycra warriors all ride gravel bikes out on the forest roads or just ride on the road even when there is a bike path right there. Like what kind of roadie wants to deal with pedestrians and dogs and babies and poo poo? When I was doing triathlons it was always the road in Florida of all places. The only folks who do stupid poo poo like buzzing pedestrians on the MUP I've ever seen are teenagers and drunk old men

I'm bringing this up because it seems to be an Internet kind of straw man guy whose presence as an abstraction to sow a vague distaste for cyclists might be a lot more prominent than it's actual impact.

aggressive racing bikers are real in nyc parks. nobody dies or anything its nothing more than bad blood
in 2012 it boiled over and someone put tacks on the mixed use path and wrecked a ton of their bikes

i cross the central park bike path often and lycra guys getting yelled at for blowing through crosswalks when pedestrians have the light is common enough

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think I've ever even seen a Lycra warrior in real life. Are they an endangered species?

e: limited habitat... it tracks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Around here they stick to country roads. No point in riding through town like that.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

aggressive racing bikers are real in nyc parks. nobody dies or anything its nothing more than bad blood
in 2012 it boiled over and someone put tacks on the mixed use path and wrecked a ton of their bikes

i cross the central park bike path often and lycra guys getting yelled at for blowing through crosswalks when pedestrians have the light is common enough

I walk in prospect park and the racing bikers love trying to run me over when I'm crossing in a crosswalk with a green light, I hate then all

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I see it often enough but l also see street clothed folks on commuter bikes pulling dumb poo poo on mutli-use paths as well including bumping into pedestrians instead of waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. Everyone should just take a breath and relax, give people space.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hedgebros are assholes both on and off their $7k Cervelos

jesus christ it's more like $10k nowadays lmao what a scam

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Maed posted:

I walk in prospect park and the racing bikers love trying to run me over when I'm crossing in a crosswalk with a green light, I hate then all

i usually skate the outside of the park entirely on the actual street until the entrance closest to my in-the-park destination rather than combat the lycrists

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Where do y'all thread? I do a lot of waiting in lines of cars because trying to squeeze between huge vehicles and the curb seems like suicide when anyone might turn right on red.

getting ahead of them before they turn right as you are going straight is vital, or you get cut off when they inevitably cannot cross the intersection

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i wear lycra and ride a road bike sometimes... i'd like to think i'm considerate of pedestrians and other shared path users... namaste

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sphyre posted:

i wear lycra and ride a road bike sometimes... i'd like to think i'm considerate of pedestrians and other shared path users... namaste

sorry it's canon that in CSPAM every poster in any given thread thinks exactly what every post says literally

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I can't even remember the last time I saw an actual lycra type road cyclist. Maybe they really have all become gravel cyclists now

Yesterday I rode my bike and I stopped to let groups of hikers pass me 3 times. They were all friendly and one asked me for directions and I got to tell two leashed dogs that they were very nice

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I only ever see Lycra warriors when I’m zooming by those dorkass losers on my e-bike :smug:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I only ever see Lycra warriors when I’m zooming by those dorkass losers on my e-bike :smug:

I just got an ebike, thanks to a goon, and I am quite excited for that. I only just learned to ride a bike though so I'm gonna wait to challenge the pros in prospect park and just ride up and down ocean parkway for awhile

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Pedestrians should exercise more awareness of their surroundings and not expect everyone else to cater to their obliviousness.

Horses shouldn't be allowed on non-horse specific trails

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sphyre posted:

you can wear lycra without being a lycrist, it’s an attitude more than anything. definitely not saying everyone who wears lycra sucks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok don't even get me started on horses

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

exactly. peds are to bikes what bikes are to cars, and cyclists need to chill the F out on MUPs. It’s the biggest reason MUPs suck balls.

Dog Case posted:

I can't even remember the last time I saw an actual lycra type road cyclist. Maybe they really have all become gravel cyclists now
in the US, lots have. it’s way safer.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Aug 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If the horse can take a poo poo right there in the middle of the path, why can't I?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

If the horse can take a poo poo right there in the middle of the path, why can't I?
horses are easier to retaliate against.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Dog Case posted:

Yesterday I rode my bike and I stopped to let groups of hikers pass me 3 times. They were all friendly and one asked me for directions and I got to tell two leashed dogs that they were very nice

nice bike

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raggedphoto posted:

I see it often enough but l also see street clothed folks on commuter bikes pulling dumb poo poo on mutli-use paths as well including bumping into pedestrians instead of waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. Everyone should just take a breath and relax, give people space.

yeah the racers take more heat for all dressing the same so people bring past bad blood to the confrontation and they are also going faster than other bike types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
poo poo, I'd rather hip-check a roadie any day than get tossed across the path by a long-tail e-cargo. Bring the roadies on the mup, no prob