Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

Both versions of the story say that 2 crew members were killed.

When I'm trying to stop a helicopter from taking off I shoot and kill/wound everyone except the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Alchenar posted:

When I'm trying to stop a helicopter from taking off I shoot and kill/wound everyone except the pilot.

A *bit* cold blooded, but if the pilot was part of the plan he might have murked his crew before flying over Ukrainian lines.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

A *bit* cold blooded, but if the pilot was part of the plan he might have murked his crew before flying over Ukrainian lines.

Yeah cold and we may never know, but the crew would have presumably realised at some point early on in the air that they were going off mission (particularly if they were ferrying spare aircraft parts) so would be the thing to do.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How does a chopper pilot manage to kill two crewmen in flight?
Murdered crewmen could be cover story for defection as well, or they got shot by GRU after landing after refusing to surrender

This is definitely stuff at the highest levels of planning though

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My theory- he calls engine troubles after altering the flight plan in small bits. Lands, tell the guys to get out and secure the perimeter, as they are unassing the bird, pop the both with a Makarov while they are looking the other way or opening the door. They won't hear the first round- if they do, engine noises will do a lot to confuse the signature, which would be fairly minor in a big rear end Russian Helo. If it was the copilot/ crew chief, it's easier. "I'm going to piss, take the stick" go in the back, cap the crew chief, walk up, take the stick, kill the copilot.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Jerk the helicopter suddenly, turn to shoot the flight engineer dead, and then kill the stunned co-pilot while he tries to not crash. Crew's dead, level out and fly back to base

That's how James Bond would do it :radcat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Jerk the helicopter suddenly, turn to shoot the flight engineer dead, and then kill the stunned co-pilot while he tries to not crash. Crew's dead, level out and fly back to base

That's how James Bond would do it :radcat:

No, don't shoot him, he's the load bearing flight engineer!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BBC News - Wagner boss Prigozhin killed in plane crash in Russia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733

Plane crash, eh?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wagner boss Prigozhin killed in plane crash in Russia

Lol who would have seen this coming

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
LMAO there's no way this is a coincidence.

Fucker was dead as soon as he stood down from his little civil war.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Did the plane fly down 3 flights of stairs, out a hospital window, and onto some polonium laced 9mm bullets?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Apparently quite a few reports it was straight up shot down

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Apparently quite a few reports it was straight up shot down

Russian Air Defense rare success!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
If you're going to do friendly fire shootdowns on the regular anyways, might as well shoot down someone who is annoying you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SerthVarnee posted:

If you're going to do friendly fire shootdowns on the regular anyways, might as well shoot down someone who is annoying you.

And possibly his nazi friend!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

SerthVarnee posted:

Would it be more or less funny if this wasn't a directive from the top and was some mid level guy getting revenge for the helicopters shot down during the Convoy Coup?

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

CommieGIR posted:

There's a whole lot going on in Russia Air Defense Artillery!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

Would it be more or less funny if this wasn't a directive from the top and was some mid level guy getting revenge for the helicopters shot down during the Convoy Coup?

If that was the case I doubt this would be as well reported. The fact that outside news agencies have this level of access implies that this information is being allowed to flow freely by the administration.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Needs more substantial confirmation imo, but if true then hoooooly poo poo

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
He had to know he was a dead man walking right? Literally everyone else knew this. So what the gently caress was he still doing anywhere near Russia?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dandywalken posted:

Needs more substantial confirmation imo, but if true then hoooooly poo poo

Yeah, he was in Africa just a day or two ago recording Wagner propaganda, seems strange he'd be back in Russia already.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Ukraine reports they have destroyed a S-400 system in western Crimea. Supposedly the system was spotted from 360 degree panoramic videos published by the Russian Foreign Office to showcase the tourism opportunities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xfeyf35NMc

https://gur.gov.ua/content/v-okupovanomu-krymu-znyshcheno-rosiiskyi-kompleks-s-400.html

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Prigozhin's bald dome gave a hostile radar reading.

For real, holyyy shiiiit. Are there still any Wagner troops stationed in Ukraine?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

fknlo posted:

He had to know he was a dead man walking right? Literally everyone else knew this. So what the gently caress was he still doing anywhere near Russia?

I still can't understand why he backed down at all. Might as well have gone down fighting.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I guess instead of falling out of a window in Russia after you fall back during your coup attempt, you instead graduate to falling out of a plane in Russia.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1694397010680361239?s=20

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I feel like the most interesting thing about this is doing it literally in broad daylight. Doesn't seem to be any attempt to pretend this was an "accident" or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Message sent, message received.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You come at the king you best not miss, dumb motherfucker came up in prison so he knew the rules, ah well nevertheless. Hot dog man and his Nazi 2nd in command are dead woop!

Seriously, dude was dead the second he stopped his armored push and I'm pretty sure he knew it, but I have nfi why he would go back to Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Laughing Zealot posted:

I feel like the most interesting thing about this is doing it literally in broad daylight. Doesn't seem to be any attempt to pretend this was an "accident" or whatever.

Subjunctive posted:

Message sent, message received.

This. Its hilarious that Prig didn't disappear himself quickly after the rebellion stalled. Its absolutely hilarious he went anywhere near Moscow again.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

CommieGIR posted:

This. Its hilarious that Prig didn't disappear himself quickly after the rebellion stalled. Its absolutely hilarious he went anywhere near Moscow again.

Like many truly evil fucks, he does not appear to have been that bright.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Me reading this news at work
https://youtu.be/roRQ2mNwMMQ

Rest in piss.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm waiting for actual confirmation that he's dead. Faking his death or honey-potting assassination attempts as a ghost passenger seem within the realm of possibility.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Notahippie posted:

Like many truly evil fucks, he does not appear to have been that bright.

Even better - he got on a plane with, apparently, all the Wagner leadership, and NOBODY smelled what was likely coming.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 23, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

I'm waiting for actual confirmation that he's dead. Faking his death or honey-potting assassination attempts as a ghost passenger seem within the realm of possibility.

True, but with the speed russian state media confirmed the death feels like a lock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sometimes you think you understand the world and then something as shocking as this happens. Truly, life is unpredictable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grand Fromage posted:

Sometimes you think you understand the world and then something as shocking as this happens. Truly, life is unpredictable.

If you have led a failed coup with your private army against a dictator known for assassinating troublesome people, today is a good day to hug your loved ones.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Laughing Zealot posted:

That's the idea of power play. Do it in broad daylight, say you didn't, watch others be uncomfortable and fall in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s Prigover