Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Is it just me, or is the player exhibiting a serious case of Stormtrooper aim in this trailer? Jokes aside, I'm super excited to play through Dark Forces again. Hopefully this leads to a Jedi Knight remaster and my childhood memories playing Jedi Knight on "The Zone" will be complete.
The Xbox thread pointed out that they weren't landing hits on any humanoid opponents in that video, and I can only assume it's some Disney/ESRB edict to keep the trailer all-ages forcing the trailer player is try really hard to make the game still look exciting.

The all-ages trailer for the Switch port of Doom Eternal does something similar and it's very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdW0HB_NhM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dr_rat posted:

Nightdive really have done great things. Hell EA managed to organize a brilliant C&C remaster (I mean it was mostly Petroglyph Games, and Lemon Sky Studios doing the actually remastering, but they like EA somehow didn't EA it up)!

Milo and POTUS posted:

EA could make a small killing if they don't gently caress up RA2 remaster. Put me in charge, I'll do it for free

Bumhead posted:

Where the gently caress is this, anyway?

The C&C Remaster was seriously good - absolutely top tier in terms of classic remasters across any genre. RA2 is one of those slam dunk, home run things that seems to be completely quiet.

dr_rat posted:

From what I've heard the senior producer at EA for the project (Jim Vessella) who was behind getting the C&C remaster going quit EA and moved to another studio, and no one else there seems like they can be bothered for whatever reason. Because EA's going to EA I guess.

As far as I can tell it's not even like C&C Remaster didn't make money, but I guess it just didn't make enough money for EA to care.

Oh man, I would absolutely play the gently caress out of a Tiberian Sun/FiresStorm or RA2/Yuri's Revenge remaster. Those games, along with Half-Life 1 and it's various mods composed most of my childhood. It was immensely disappointing realizing that EA weren't going to follow-up C&C remastered with these :(

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Someone just needs to shut Nightdive in a room with all the classic big box PC games and a post-it with "all of these, please" scribbled on it.

The Kins posted:

The Xbox thread pointed out that they weren't landing hits on any humanoid opponents in that video, and I can only assume it's some Disney/ESRB edict to keep the trailer all-ages forcing the trailer player is try really hard to make the game still look exciting.

The all-ages trailer for the Switch port of Doom Eternal does something similar and it's very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdW0HB_NhM

I liked the "lol, stormtroopers can't shoot poo poo" thing but this is somehow even funnier.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bumhead posted:

Someone just needs to shut Nightdive in a room with all the classic big box PC games and a post-it with "all of these, please" scribbled on it.

Pretty sure Nightdive are trying to do pretty much this.

If they couldn't just shoot the storm troopers, they should of obviously just shot a chandelier so it fell on them instead or something.

I've seen G rated action films before, I know this works!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

From what I've heard the senior producer at EA for the project (Jim Vessella) who was behind getting the C&C remaster going quit EA and moved to another studio, and no one else there seems like they can be bothered for whatever reason. Because EA's going to EA I guess.
A quick Google says Jim's still at EA, but shuffled over to Respawn to oversee a Star Wars strategy game being developed by some ex-Firaxis people.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ah didn't know Respawn entertainment was still an ea thing.

Should of known. ea owns far to many things. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they made those Jedi survivor games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quick IGN interview with Kaiser about the enhancements to Turok 3. Textures have been uprezzed, animations have been updated with additional frames to look smoother, cutscene animations have been given an extra pass, cut content from the leaked alpha ROM has been restored, the HUD now has an option to choose between the original and alpha HUD, and player movement has been made more responsive and less sluggish.

This does also confirm that Night Dive isn't working on Rage Wars or any other Turok games past this one. At least, for now. They'd like to, but apparently their calendar for next year is even busier, which I'm not entirely sure is possible without someone breaking something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

Quick IGN interview with Kaiser about the enhancements to Turok 3. Textures have been uprezzed, animations have been updated with additional frames to look smoother, cutscene animations have been given an extra pass, cut content from the leaked alpha ROM has been restored, the HUD now has an option to choose between the original and alpha HUD, and player movement has been made more responsive and less sluggish.

This does also confirm that Night Dive isn't working on Rage Wars or any other Turok games past this one. At least, for now. They'd like to, but apparently their calendar for next year is even busier, which I'm not entirely sure is possible without someone breaking something.

:pray: they keep winning

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

man those remastered cutscenes look awful

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Squeezy Farm posted:

It's a bit Monkey Island VGA vs the 2009 visuals.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm just going to have to resign myself to buying literally everything Nightdive does. Even though I really don't like Turok.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Nightdive should do a humble monthly thing, where you just get all their stuff as soon as it releases.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel bad for all the work Lucius has done over the years for TFE but I can't pretend like I won't be checking out that df remaster myself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished the first and then hopped right into 2 and was blown away by the immediate upgrade in feel and design. much better feeling weapons with fun blood fountains coming off of enemies when you blast 'em, HUD indicators for when you're not only near objectives but also level keys, quick save anywhere, massive levels (at least if this first one was any indication) with fast travel, more secrets to find...

i am dreading the concept of defending a thing against waves of enemies though, I still have to find a couple captives in this level before i can do that though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
.... speaking of taller rather than horizontal maps that emphasize their 3d environment I'm really digging Tokay's Towers in Q2

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah the remastered cutscenes look kinda off. In the original they were low res so the limited animations didn’t stick out too much but now that it’s all HD’d’d its weird. Maybe if it was still all pixelated but in hd. HD pixels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Also it's 60fps so it looks like one of those "enhanced" animes on YouTube

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dramicus posted:

Is it just me, or is the player exhibiting a serious case of Stormtrooper aim in this trailer? Jokes aside, I'm super excited to play through Dark Forces again. Hopefully this leads to a Jedi Knight remaster and my childhood memories playing Jedi Knight on "The Zone" will be complete.

Bumhead posted:

I liked the "lol, stormtroopers can't shoot poo poo" thing but this is somehow even funnier.

I laughed out loud when the in-game footage set to dramatic Star Wars music began and the player was just whiffing every single shot on the stormtroopers, I immediately thought it was a joke too and then started thinking it was for some technical reason instead. Still funny as hell.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Night Dive please remaster Einhander and Vigilante 8, two games I only played on a PlayStation Demodisc

If you liked vigilante 8, play Interstate 76! It's the same game but with an actual plot and characters and it's like five quid on GoG.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Night Dive please remaster Einhander and Vigilante 8, two games I only played on a PlayStation Demodisc
no idea what Vigilante 8 is but Einhander is unfathomably good so agreed

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

NightDive please my family is quite poor, our larder is dry and our rags tattered, and we need of a ZPC remaster to survive the barren cruelties of the coming winter

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dramicus posted:

For whatever reason, they only show the player killing droids and monsters in the trailer, not humans.

The Kins posted:

Yeah that's gotta be it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Vigilante 8 - Twisted Metal would make a good meme with like those two nearly identical houses in Malibu but one's painted pink and purple and one painted all black.

edit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are all of your favourite FPS maps? MP or SP, doesn't matter.

I know I'm a bit late for this, but my fa my favorite 3 3D FPS maps are Ziggurat Vertigo, HIPDM1, and d1_canals_09.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

You said Einhander and I heard Ergheiz but yeah, I'd be on board for an Ergheiz remaster as long as it had both play modes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

A.o.D. posted:

I know I'm a bit late for this, but my fa my favorite 3 3D FPS maps are Ziggurat Vertigo, HIPDM1, and d1_canals_09.

You are in the "Early FPS Megathread", there is no such thing as being late to a topic

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

You said Einhander and I heard Ergheiz but yeah, I'd be on board for an Ergheiz remaster as long as it had both play modes.

"God Bless The Ring" was the sickest subtitle for a fighting game ever.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Please night dive I’m on my deathbed and also it’s my birthday and nothing would lay my spirit to rest harder than a remaster of the descent series and also Damage Inc and also some potato salad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was ergheiz the fighting game with all the ff7 characters

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

site posted:

was ergheiz the fighting game with all the ff7 characters

No, just a handful of them.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I am still tremendously grateful for TFE, as that will let me play Dark Forces (and friends!) on computers that don’t run Windows, which is a big consideration of mine. Still gonna snag this, regardless.

DoombatINC posted:

NightDive please my family is quite poor, our larder is dry and our rags tattered, and we need of a ZPC remaster to survive the barren cruelties of the coming winter

Yes, please. Marathon is served well enough by Aleph One since the base games are free now, but ZPC sank without a ripple and deserves to be shined up. Never seen a game that required me to rest my eyes as much as that one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wonder if Nightdive will touch up the Dark Forces levels in any way. It was kind of shocking seeing videos of how barren some of those levels were. 320x200 hides a lot of sins but it’s really apparent at modern resolutions that a lot of rooms are literally big empty rectangles. Definitely a case where what I remembered doesn’t match reality.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dark Forces is one of the first attempts to try and create a real brick-and-motor 3d realistic environment (well, realistic to the Star Wars universe).

Its endlessly fascinating to me to see how many tricks and loopholes and end-runs they used to try and make that happen. Its so much more than a Doom clone. I'd argue that the second level, Talay, has an atmosphere and dread that STILL holds up better than most.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

Yeah if you're going to remove frames from an animation that was already only like 4 frames long you might as well just switch to stills

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dark Forces is one of the first attempts to try and create a real brick-and-motor 3d realistic environment (well, realistic to the Star Wars universe).

Its endlessly fascinating to me to see how many tricks and loopholes and end-runs they used to try and make that happen. Its so much more than a Doom clone. I'd argue that the second level, Talay, has an atmosphere and dread that STILL holds up better than most.

Yeah I was actually going to mention Talay/Tak Base as one of my favorite FPS maps before I got sidetracked into vibing about Halo 1 multiplayer instead. The giant revolving turbines and the fact that when you hit the power switch the lights come on all over the map were what really impressed me as a kid I think, but in retrospect they went to a good bit of trouble to make a level that feels like it got bombed with death robots from orbit.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the second level of Dark Forces was amazing at the time not just for atmosphere and environmental storytelling, the likes of which really hadn't really been attempted in an FPS before, but also just for having rotating platforms and bridges you could go under and above, which we really wouldn't see again until Duke3D.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
RE: Dark Forces, I thought it was cool that enemies (at least Stormtroopers) couldn't necessarily see you in dark environments, and you could creep around them with the IR goggles active without aggro'ing them, but using the headlight would cause them to spot you. I'd never seen that in a contemporary FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSAePrwotU&t=419s

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
drat, Dark Forces? That's a good get.

I need to get back to Turok, then pick up 2 at some point. I enjoyed what I played of Turok, but also I remember getting confused even without the fog and not super enthused about hunting down weapon parts. I'm bad at finding secrets, in all honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Out of interest, does the Q2 remaster run the few custom maps that are out there, or would they need to be updated?