Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sadly it didn't work even after I revisited the dirs, names, etc. I musta done something else wrong.

Weird. If you're bored on the train I guess you can head into DinguxCommander, go to /Emu/$console/config.json and it'll tell you the path it expects and file extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

hatty posted:

I was gonna buy a Vita this week too but I remembered that I don’t like Vita games too much and the 405M was just $30 more. It’s a really nice feeling handheld though

I think I turned my vita on for about 3 minutes to make sure it worked when I bought it... about a year ago. And that was it. Are there any good exclusive games for it? When I paid for my PSN account years ago (when I got my first vita) I had Rogue Legacy but then I got that for switch for like $4.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

otter posted:

I think I turned my vita on for about 3 minutes to make sure it worked when I bought it... about a year ago. And that was it. Are there any good exclusive games for it? When I paid for my PSN account years ago (when I got my first vita) I had Rogue Legacy but then I got that for switch for like $4.

I think the only Vita game I actually completed was P4 Golden which is of course no longer exclusive

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

otter posted:

A lot has been ported off now but there's still some good stuff, off the top of my head: Freedom Wars, Killzone Mercenary, LBP Vita, Tearaway (technically also on PS4 but it's a bit different), Oreshika, the last Ridge Racer, Shinobido 2, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Touch My Katamari, Tales of Hearts R, Samurai Warriors 3 Chronicles (also on 3DS but worse)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

otter posted:

There were a decent amount, although a lot of the stuff has been ported to other platforms now. Freedom Wars, the Uncharted vita game, Soul Sacrifice Delta, the best version of Disgaea 3.... I'm sure there's some more I'm missing.

It has good versions of a lot of indie stuff and some decent ports though. It can also can more or less perfectly emulate PSP games so I've probably played more PSP games on it than anything.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Substandard posted:

It can also can more or less perfectly emulate PSP games so I've probably played more PSP games on it than anything.

that just reminded me (psx, not psp but still) that I really need to finally finish Blasto!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Vita has less game than PS3.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

stephenthinkpad posted:

Vita has less game than PS3.

But more than the PS5!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sadly it didn't work even after I revisited the dirs, names, etc. I musta done something else wrong.
The Mini does this weird thing where instead of just looking in the directory for files it creates an index database the first time you enter that directory and refuses to acknowledge any changes to the directory that aren't in the database. I just delete the .db file in the directory whenever I add roms; you may need to delete the .xml file in there too if you've run the refresh from the menu since (don't run the refresh, it does nothing).

otter posted:

Muramasa isn't technically Vita exclusive, there's a version on the Wii as well, but it hasn't been ported to anything more modern afaik and the Japanese VA and DLC are Vita exclusive iirc.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 23, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I always forget the Vita had a Ridge Racer game.

I played a lot of Sound Shapes on my Vita. A lot of FIFA too. When EA still hadn’t realised that people buying a football game for a portable just want portable football, not card packs. So the first Vita FIFA sold real well then no-one bought the next one because we already had our portable FIFA.

Then the Switch came out and the exact same thing happened.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Vita means RSI

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s ridge racer! Riiiiiidge racer!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RR Vita is pretty okay if you have all the DLC (read: steal it) and don't mind sliding your fingers over a panoramic shot of Reiko Nagase lying on her side for the menu

I mean I'd still rather play Ridge Racers 2 but, you know.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

That Sony thing is totally a vaporware.

Apparently not, they flew a bunch of influencers out to demo it and its gotten an official name as Playstation Portal.

It does still look someone just cut a DualSense in half and glued a screen to it though.

E: There's an official PS Blog post on it now too. No date but $199 price point is solid IF people figure out how to crack the software open.
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...year-at-199-99/

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 23, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah the second that thing is jailbroken its gonna sell like hotcakes if its 199.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps looks at RG35XX custom firmwares, including (just barely) playable N64 and Dreamcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqBg6fEvfQ

njsykora posted:

Apparently not, they flew a bunch of influencers out to demo it and its gotten an official name as Playstation Portal.

It does still look someone just cut a DualSense in half and glued a screen to it though.

E: There's an official PS Blog post on it now too. No date but $199 price point is solid IF people figure out how to crack the software open.
I wonder what the chances are this doesn't sell and ends up on deep discount like the Playstation Classic did

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Assepoester posted:

Retro Game Corps looks at RG35XX custom firmwares, including (just barely) playable N64 and Dreamcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqBg6fEvfQ

I wonder what the chances are this doesn't sell and ends up on deep discount like the Playstation Classic did

It will absolutely not sell in rhe numbers sony produces thats their whole thing

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The Sony Handheld Thing is an absolutely loving insane idea, honestly. Genuinely one of the most baffling products I've seen from a major games company in years.
Like, if it could do game streaming outside the house, maybe.
But the number of people who are gonna pay £200 just so they can play their PS5 library on a tiny screen in a different room? I don't think that's large. I get that this is a use case some people want, but I don't think there's anything like enough people who want it badly enough to spend £200 on it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The_White_Crane posted:

The Sony Handheld Thing is an absolutely loving insane idea, honestly. Genuinely one of the most baffling products I've seen from a major games company in years.
Like, if it could do game streaming outside the house, maybe.
But the number of people who are gonna pay £200 just so they can play their PS5 library on a tiny screen in a different room? I don't think that's large. I get that this is a use case some people want, but I don't think there's anything like enough people who want it badly enough to spend £200 on it.

It’s not as insane as it sounds. The thing is effectively going to be a Remote Play device. I have been doing remote play when I am not at home from my PS4 to my laptop with a PS4 controller for almost a decade now. As long as you have WiFi it works like a charm. I have even done it using cellular from my phone. Having a dedicated device with decent build quality and a pretty low price would be nice for people that travel. Not including built in cellular makes a lot of sense since it would add to the cost significantly and few are going to pay more for service on another device when they can just tether off the phone they already got.

The big question is if it has full Android support or not, even unofficially. If it does it will be a big success. If it doesn’t I think there will be a market for it but not huge. You can get a Backbone for half the cost that can do the same thing with the phone you already have and a lot more.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Djarum posted:

It’s not as insane as it sounds. The thing is effectively going to be a Remote Play device. I have been doing remote play when I am not at home from my PS4 to my laptop with a PS4 controller for almost a decade now. As long as you have WiFi it works like a charm. I have even done it using cellular from my phone. Having a dedicated device with decent build quality and a pretty low price would be nice for people that travel. Not including built in cellular makes a lot of sense since it would add to the cost significantly and few are going to pay more for service on another device when they can just tether off the phone they already got.

The big question is if it has full Android support or not, even unofficially. If it does it will be a big success. If it doesn’t I think there will be a market for it but not huge. You can get a Backbone for half the cost that can do the same thing with the phone you already have and a lot more.

No, I don't think it works that way. As I understand it, you can only use it on the same wifi network as your PS5.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

You do have to admit that Sonys streaming “console” not supporting their own cloud gaming service is just a hilarious own-goal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegastar posted:

You do have to admit that Sonys streaming “console” not supporting their own cloud gaming service is just a hilarious own-goal.

Shades of CNN’s streaming service not having CNN

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegastar posted:

How does that even happen?

Unless this thing is so underpowered? Even then…

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The_White_Crane posted:

No, I don't think it works that way. As I understand it, you can only use it on the same wifi network as your PS5.

That makes zero sense since both the PS4 and 5 support remote play anywhere already. If there is a weird limitation like that it is easily circumvented as well.

According to the post on the Sony Blog here it works using Remote Play and requires a internet connection.

So judging by that it should be able to be used anywhere that you have a decent internet connection. It is weird it doesn’t have support for their Cloud gaming though. I have to assume that is going to get patched it at some point.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

MarcusSA posted:

My bet is on they’re intentionally shooting it in the knees to make sure you still have to buy their 400 dollar console too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Djarum posted:

It is weird it doesn’t have support for their Cloud gaming though. I have to assume that is going to get patched it at some point.

You’d think they’d want it since it’s an added subscription tier they can get people on.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'll buy it if they put moonlight on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Substandard posted:

I'll buy it if they put moonlight on it.

I’ll bet it will be hacked quick as poo poo. I’m sure it’s running some version of android because they couldn’t be hosed to roll their own.

It’s probably like android 8 or something lol

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

MarcusSA posted:

My guess is that they haven’t got the software working yet. Also Sony hasn’t even allowed it on web browsers since they don’t want it to work via Edge on the Xbox.

My guess is they will make a solution for the Portal at some point but they have to develop it and lock it down to only work on that hardware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Djarum posted:

My guess is that they haven’t got the software working yet. Also Sony hasn’t even allowed it on web browsers since they don’t want it to work via Edge on the Xbox.

My guess is they will make a solution for the Portal at some point but they have to develop it and lock it down to only work on that hardware.

Lol Sony doing Sony things.

Again this is hilarious because they could be getting that sweet subscription money and yet they hamstring themselves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1694348262713561396?s=20

This thing looks like a real piece of poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao $199

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Djarum posted:

That makes zero sense since both the PS4 and 5 support remote play anywhere already. If there is a weird limitation like that it is easily circumvented as well.

According to the post on the Sony Blog here it works using Remote Play and requires a internet connection.

So judging by that it should be able to be used anywhere that you have a decent internet connection. It is weird it doesn’t have support for their Cloud gaming though. I have to assume that is going to get patched it at some point.

It's just weird that they say:

quote:

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house.

Like. They make no mention of using it "on the go" so to speak.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy cow swing and a miss.

I could see the use if you’re a family person that doesn’t want to hog the TV, or if you have a hard time leaving your hobby in the living room, but dang man I do not see this selling to enough of those people.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just make it look like a big Vita Sony, you fools!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Then do more different things!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hatty posted:

Just make it look like a big Vita Sony, you fools!

But maybe with handles to hold onto?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I would have loved a device to stream my PS4 across my house before I got my Steam Deck. Now? Uh, it would have to be really compelling, and I still can't afford a PS5.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

straight up ewaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hopefully someone manages to make this a reality or it's somehow feasible on the device when it launches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9mu_vzdiKw