Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't remember any other FROM games being technical messes on PC other than PTDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

K8.0 posted:

You can like their games, denying that they are lazy when they put out technical mess after technical mess and are years and years behind everyone else in adopting technological improvements is ridiculous. They might make good games, but from a technical perspective that kind of sustained failure is unquestionably poo poo and/or lazy.

But is the ER port a technical mess? Because that doesn't seem to be the general consensus. Its not perfect, but I think you're letting that be the enemy of the good here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Japanese devs are notoriously bad at PC games.
:chloe: :goofy:

sad question
May 30, 2020

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026420/WARSAW_RISING_City_of_Heroes/

Warsaw, the historical Darkest Dungeon about Warsaw uprising is now free on Steam (indefinitely)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

You can like their games, denying that they are lazy when they put out technical mess after technical mess and are years and years behind everyone else in adopting technological improvements is ridiculous. They might make good games, but from a technical perspective that kind of sustained failure is unquestionably poo poo and/or lazy.

yeah, especially when there's issues that have come up in game after game after game and never been resolved, like their 30fps limiter on consoles having awful frame pacing in every title from bloodborne through to elden ring

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s kinda true though. Go back and look at the PC release for FF11 lol

Orv
May 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Just wanna be super clear which FF11 you're talking about before we proceed here

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A long time ago it was true that Japanese devs only did lazy/bad PC releases, but Capcom has been doing mostly competent PC ports for a long time, Kojima's PC releases have been good... Among big Japanese PC releases, it's only From that has been consistently bad for the last ~10 years.

MMF Freeway posted:

But is the ER port a technical mess? Because that doesn't seem to be the general consensus. Its not perfect, but I think you're letting that be the enemy of the good here

Objectively speaking in terms of features it's well behind, the performance leaves a lot to be desired, and the stuttering seems to go well beyond the shader compilation issues that plague Unreal Engine games. Are they getting better? Maybe. But not at a pace acceptable for a studio with well over a decade of major success.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 23, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jack Trades posted:

Compared to who?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a carbon monoxide leak in this thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MGSV was a masterclass in PC optimization.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve purchased FROM’s last three PC games day 1 and thought they were all good :shrug:

Idk that I will with AC because the genre just doesn’t appeal to me all that much but I’ll probably pick it up eventually on sale

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

its been slightly better with Capcoms own middleware which is great and others utilizing Unreal (f.e. Tekken/SF) but From Software or Platinum are just the worst.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Western devs optimize games like this while Japanese devs optimize games like this

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MMF Freeway posted:

just look at the drawcalls of the image in the tweet I linked on the previous page. Speaks for itself, and thats just unnecessary drawcalls.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

K8.0 posted:

A long time ago it was true that Japanese devs only did lazy/bad PC releases, but Capcom has been doing mostly competent PC ports for a long time, Kojima's PC releases have been good... Among big Japanese PC releases, it's only From that has been consistently bad for the last ~10 years.

Read something a while back which said Capcom designs their games for PC first and then ports them to consoles which is why they're consistently one of the best publishers when it comes to PC performance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PC port quality is so dependent on the publisher and in-house team that it's ludicrous to consider it a function of where it is made. Most of the time what counts as "Western vs Japanese" is immaterial anyway since nowadays the work of porting is often outsourced to Singapore or Malaysia. That being said recent Capcom ports are generally pretty solid to great while Square-Enix is always a big :mrwhite:. Could be fine, could be terrible, usually just comes down to how much you paid for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

didn't know Phil Fish had so many alt accounts

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

who would win, the fromsoft quadrillion polygon occluded terrain or the team ninja quadrillion polygon character models

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1505243871009247234

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Read something a while back which said Capcom designs their games for PC first and then ports them to consoles which is why they're consistently one of the best publishers when it comes to PC performance.

Yeah a few years ago after failing at a number of games they had a big statement where they pretty much said they're focusing on making PC first then porting and with the RE engine that's evidently fairly simple. Also said their goal was to make games fun first which seems to be the case with everything they've released recently except for the making GBS threads multiplayer Resident Evil games.

exquisite tea posted:

PC port quality is so dependent on the publisher and in-house team that it's ludicrous to consider it a function of where it is made. Most of the time what counts as "Western vs Japanese" is immaterial anyway since nowadays the work of porting is often outsourced to Singapore or Malaysia. That being said recent Capcom ports are generally pretty solid to great while Square-Enix is always a big :mrwhite:. Could be fine, could be terrible, usually just comes down to how much you paid for it.

Agreed, maybe 15-20 years ago you could say that Japanese PC ports sucked in general but in the current and last generation it seemed to be more how high profile of a game it was more than where it was made. Unless like you said you're Squeenix where their ports are sometimes pretty great and sometimes awful with no way to predict.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

you are notoriously bad at posting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unrelated to performance, fromsoft’s netcode is definitely antiquated compared to team ninja’s at this point and playing elden ring multiplayer (or trying to) after nioh 2 was a stark contrast. I wonder how AC6 multiplayer is going to fare because elden ring’s netcode quality is not something that felt like it would fly in a much faster paced framework.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

repiv posted:

who would win, the fromsoft quadrillion polygon occluded terrain or the team ninja quadrillion polygon character models

This is chump poo poo. 1.0 of Final Fantasy XIV did all this and then some on barrels.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

repiv posted:

Fair, but they also do this:

https://twitter.com/mightykeef/status/1636557497656811520?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only good game devs are from Christmas Island

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

yeah i wish elden ring ran like the technical masterpieces from ea, ubisoft and bethesda lol stupid gently caress

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So uh ... what was the last bug-free PC 3D game out?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
System Shock Remake is UE4 with no stutters and rock solid performance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

So uh ... what was the last bug-free PC 3D game out?

Bubsy 3D

that's why it rhymes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more release dates/news coming out of Gamescom

- Mega Man X Dive Offline: Sep 1st ($30). wait, did i type that right. $30???? lol
- House Flipper 2: December 14th
- Steamworld Build: December 1st
- Wandering Sword let slip a September 15th date but then undid it, so that's still in flux
- Worldless: October 4th
- Dune Spice Wars: September for 1.0 release

- Grime II announced

- Broken Sword 6 announced, Broken Sword 1 re-remaster announced

- Tormented Souls 2 announced

- The Last Faith beta test is live now, you can sign up to access the playtest on Steam

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

- Grime II announced

That’s good to see, it deserves a sequel. Similar: blasphemous 2 comes out tomorrow and I will be playing it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Owl Inspector posted:

That’s good to see, it deserves a sequel. Similar: blasphemous 2 comes out tomorrow and I will be playing it

Same.

Although I quit Grime because of all the hardcore platform puzzling involved. Which is a shame because it had some good and interesting things going on, just a bit too tough for me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a carbon monoxide leak in this thread

lmao

It's a pet peeve of mine when people call game devs 'lazy' like that. Yeah, From totally could have fixed these technical issues on time and within budget, if they'd just cared, but they didn't FEEL like it. They were all 'gently caress it, good enough' but not because deadlines or budget or anything. Just sheer laziness.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
FFXI was on the cusp of consoles being able to connect to the internet at all so while Play Online is a terrible experience today it feels unfair to compare it to anything not similarly ambitious for the time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

HopperUK posted:

lmao

It's a pet peeve of mine when people call game devs 'lazy' like that. Yeah, From totally could have fixed these technical issues on time and within budget, if they'd just cared, but they didn't FEEL like it. They were all 'gently caress it, good enough' but not because deadlines or budget or anything. Just sheer laziness.

Yea, it's very easy for anyone who has no idea how software -- be it 3D games or dumb business software -- works that think making something just run good is the easiest, most straight forward thing. Not every programmer knows every single best practice of all the tools they're expected to work with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's very easy for anyone who has no idea how software -- be it 3D games or dumb business software -- works that think making something just run good is the easiest, most straight forward thing. Not every programmer knows every single best practice of all the tools they're expected to work with.

Just don't put the bugs in in the first place. Duh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Speaking of western devs and/or development mistakes, apparently Bioware is slicing 50 jobs and swears Dragon Age 4 will release at all be just fine, you guys, no problems here.

https://blog.bioware.com/2023/08/23/an-update-on-the-state-of-bioware/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sab669 posted:

Sure, with limited resources and experience managing projects you won't make optimal decisions. After a decade of printing money, if you give a poo poo you've refined processes and hired people to solve problems. Liking their games doesn't mean you should make excuses for them in a way you never would for any other business.

Orv
May 4, 2011
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Let's loving destroy From Software.