Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Collapsing Farts posted:

They are all dead now

What, Captain Hollister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman didn’t fool the valar. They abandoned him long before the time of the book. Oh well

The rest of the memes were very good

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Saruman didn’t fool the valar. They abandoned him long before the time of the book. Oh well

The rest of the memes were very good

Probably wouldve been good idea for them to tell Gandalf huh

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bike tory posted:

My partner can roll a perfect jay while walking outside during a windy day. It boggles my mind every time I see it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You can't fool me that last one's from Zardoz

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the last words vilerat ever spoke

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Back in the day people would get gif avatars that had one slight animation every 90 seconds or something, so every once in a while you'd catch a glimpse of it and think you were going crazy :argh:

Pay no attention to this person, avatars are static and always have been

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Holy poo poo

Always the meme thread

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RIP Gothmog

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The badge on his chest says 'cargo 200, we're together' (it rhymes in Russian), where cargo 200 is military slang for bodies of dead soldiers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The badge on his chest says 'cargo 200, we're together' (it rhymes in Russian), where cargo 200 is military slang for bodies of dead soldiers.

Well, that was one of the world's most notorious war criminals until today

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

And Kissinger yet lives.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Someone good at physics, please help, my family is dying

I say B, because if I remember my Portal correctly, you keep any momentum you have, and RELATIVE to the orange portal, the people have momentum. So it all depends on if the blue portal "cares" if things have momentum relative to IT, or relative to the ENTRY/orange portal.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I say B, because if I remember my Portal correctly, you keep any momentum you have, and RELATIVE to the orange portal, the people have momentum. So it all depends on if the blue portal "cares" if things have momentum relative to IT, or relative to the ENTRY/orange portal.

Isn't this genuinely the reason that portals don't stay on moving surfaces in the game?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

A

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A is correct

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Been fun, thread. See ya in a few dozen pages.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo that's him Vivek right? Man the modernization team put in some work

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Aug 23, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It has to be B because the object emerging from the exit portal does so at the same speed it enters the entry portal, it doesn't just appear fully outside the exit.

That means it necessarily has velocity relative to the exit portal, and for it to just stop the moment it's fully exited would require potentially fatal instantaneous deceleration

And I just want a small chocolate frosty, please

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A, leading to B. The un-even distribution of weight of what appears to be a tower of humans will eventually succumb to gravity and fall back through the blue portal, gaining momentum as it does. As it emerges through the orange portal it is immediately returned to the blue portal with its new momentum intact, potentially falling back into the portal x number of times until such point at which 'escape velocity' (outcome B) is achieved

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!
Neither. They all die because you can't physically move portals once created. You can only destroy and recreate

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maybealabia posted:

It has to be B because the object emerging from the exit portal does so at the same speed it enters the entry portal, it doesn't just appear fully outside the exit.

That means it necessarily has velocity relative to the exit portal, and for it to just stop the moment it's fully exited would require potentially fatal instantaneous deceleration

And I just want a small chocolate frosty, please

It would have to be A, because the people emerging from the exit portal would require fatal instantaneous acceleration from going from rest to speed of train.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's B. In Portal, your momentum relative to the entry portal when you enter is the same as that relative to the exit portal when you leave, but doesn't stay the same in an absolute frame of reference* since it gets rotated. This scenario adds a speed difference to the portals, but that just changes the magnitude of the momentum change, not its fundamental existence.

*an absolute reference frame doesn't exist in real life of course, but a video game does have one

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I say A because of conservation of energy. Either the trolley slows down to accelerate the bodies or the bodies stay still. Anything else creates energy out of nothing.

Also portals aren't real.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

bike tory posted:

I once saw an old man roll a cigarette while biking. It was incredible and I think about it at least once a month even though it was 15 years ago.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's easier to figure out when the portal is lower and we imagine the tracks going through. It's a very clear picture in my mind of a hole getting railed faster and faster. And then what's this? Five more guys? I hope the train doesn't stop!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's neither, it's a smear of blood and bones and viscera.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

It's B. In Portal, your momentum relative to the entry portal when you enter is the same as that relative to the exit portal when you leave

The portals in portal also don't move, so the portals are the absolute frame of reference

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

I say A because of conservation of energy. Either the trolley slows down to accelerate the bodies or the bodies stay still. Anything else creates energy out of nothing.

Portals already break conservation of energy since you can have them at different heights. Drop from a high portal into a low one to make perpetual motion.

CainFortea posted:

The portals in portal also don't move, so the portals are the absolute frame of reference

You do plant a moving one in the neurotoxin chamber, and the moon at the end would be moving relative to you too. It's definitely a gameplay thing to prevent it, making the engine handle that edge case would be a huge pointless undertaking.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Beeswax posted:

I was making a joke

I know, I just wanted to have my little rant!!!

as a treat,,

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
The people have momentum relative to the orange portal. The enter the orange portal at the speed of the trolley, so they exit the blue portal at the speed of the trolley. From their frame of reference, there is no acceleration, the room the blue portal is in is moving towards them at the speed of the trolley. That's even what they would see if they looked in the orange portal. To emerge from the blue portal and suddenly stop would be instantaneous acceleration towards the blue portal

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I was already wrong once, I'm not relitigating this in another thread.

Poops Mcgoots has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Aug 23, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can we make a rule that you have to post at least one (1) meme in order to contribute your reckons to this discussion?

The real answer is that it doesn't really make sense and there's a reason why the game doesn't allow you to place portals on any moving surfaces. The video game logic is that the portals create continuous space between two previously distant points, it isn't a teleporter like in the Quake games. So moving a portal over stationary bodies (relative to the inertial frame, which is the same between both portals) means that all the matter that the portal moved over would be constantly having to displace the matter that the portal had just passed over. The video-game-logical interpretation of that is that it would create momentum (it would just "push" it through with the velocity of the trolley) so the answer would be B. You can't answer the question in terms of actual physics because it is theoretically possible for matter to be displaced in that way.

Putting my money where my mouth is and contributing memes to the discussion as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

quote:

portals