Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can't believe Brother Doctor Reverend Ian Cutress is running for President of the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

How do you use a mini unit in an interior room with no exterior walls?

Is this not as simple as running the lines to an exterior wall? It's more work than starting with an exterior wall, but crawlspaces/attics are meant for this kinda thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

can't believe Brother Doctor Reverend Ian Cutress is running for President of the United States

That's President Admiral General Messiah Ian Cutress to you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ian Cutress, Piled Higher and Deeper.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I was actually miffed about the My Mechanics Datsun because his already slow output will be even more compromised. Hand tool rescue is who i was referring to in the "chuck it in the rustoleoum bin" bit. I had tool rescue first suggested after a my mechanics video and i thought "isn't that cheating?".

I'll check the other two suggested channels, Thanks!
From last page,
The slow output in combination with the Datsun project is what got me to subscribe to his Patreon. And holy poo poo, I didn’t fully grasp how much work, and how meticulous he is about all of his work. He does daily vlogs and yeah… slow video output is understandable (at least for the car.) Also, his Patreon is worth at least a month to see the shop/storage tour he gave.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlowBloke posted:

I was actually miffed about the My Mechanics Datsun because his already slow output will be even more compromised. Hand tool rescue is who i was referring to in the "chuck it in the rustoleoum bin" bit. I had tool rescue first suggested after a my mechanics video and i thought "isn't that cheating?".

I'll check the other two suggested channels, Thanks!

There are a bunch of those "restoration" channels out there. I strongly, strongly suspect that there is a content mill churning a few channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the older ones are what they say on the tin, but there's been this slew of copycats that all have some very similar camera work and similar use of the performative "tap the tool on the thing being restored" semi-ASMR things. I've seen separate channels for knives, toys, tools, guns, and car parts that all have a similar enough feel that I suspect they're being made by a single group. Plus, the algorithm seems to really privilege them. They're up there with family guy compilations when it comes to clicking one leading to the algo feeding you nothing but that for the next month. Which, frankly, is something that happens with LTT too, I strongly suspect that YouTube really pushes stuff they want to promote if you show even a hit of interest.

The thing that gets me about them is how they gently caress with color levels to enhance rust and make it look worse for thumbnails than it is. I did a post elsewhere about that a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that gets me about them is how they gently caress with color levels to enhance rust and make it look worse for thumbnails than it is. I did a post elsewhere about that a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Ok, here's the pertinent bit about that. If anyone cares about me ranting about how none of this poo poo is actually restoration, they can click through on the quote and scroll up a few posts.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I suspect a lot of those "restoration" channels artificially age and degrade their items before they restore them

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe, I dunno.

What I have 100% noticed is that they gently caress hard with the color values and contrast on their thumbnails to make the rust pop a lot more and like it's extremely vibrantly red, active rust. Click through on any of those videos I linked above and you'll see this at work in a big way.

edit: here's that bayo for example.

thumbnail:

video:

The top looks like something that was exposed to salt water for a week, the bottom looks like any old grungy knife you could find in the back room at a surplus store.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I continue to be greatful with those things of Regular Car Reviews pointing out in a car show video that fake rust always fades out, while real rust has a hard edge which no-one can do right.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mobby_6kl posted:

You pipe the coolant through the walls or attic or something. Are there many windowless rooms that need their own AC in a normal house?
Hallways, bathrooms, etc but yeah that makes total sense.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a bunch of those "restoration" channels out there. I strongly, strongly suspect that there is a content mill churning a few channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the older ones are what they say on the tin, but there's been this slew of copycats that all have some very similar camera work and similar use of the performative "tap the tool on the thing being restored" semi-ASMR things. I've seen separate channels for knives, toys, tools, guns, and car parts that all have a similar enough feel that I suspect they're being made by a single group. Plus, the algorithm seems to really privilege them. They're up there with family guy compilations when it comes to clicking one leading to the algo feeding you nothing but that for the next month. Which, frankly, is something that happens with LTT too, I strongly suspect that YouTube really pushes stuff they want to promote if you show even a hit of interest.

Oh it's definitely a content mill and they're playing the algorithm. There's this one non-objectionable guntube channel Backyard Ballistics run by an Italian guy in his late-20s who works in forensics and does some pretty impressive restorations of beat to poo poo/discarded historical firearms, always details his methods and explains exactly what he's doing, how a given piece came to be in its condition, and talks about any interesting engineering features of a given firearm. Watched a couple of his videos and then a few videos by a professional knife maker/blacksmith from Nova Scotia who did some really beautiful restoration jobs because, hey it's nice watching someone good at their job excel at a task, and immediately Youtube started recommending all these really obviously faked restoration videos. Dozens of videos with absolutely no commentary, canned music, weird transitions, etc. I took me weeks to repair the damage to my algorithm.

At least it wasn't as bad as when Youtube decided I wanted to watch nothing but cows getting hoof abscesses drained.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a bunch of those "restoration" channels out there. I strongly, strongly suspect that there is a content mill churning a few channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the older ones are what they say on the tin, but there's been this slew of copycats that all have some very similar camera work and similar use of the performative "tap the tool on the thing being restored" semi-ASMR things.

yeah, they're all very similar to TysyTube. And to be clear, I'm not saying it's them, or that they're part of it, but the backdrop and the camera work and the general vibe of the videos are all similar to theirs.

I'm also so cynical about humanity that when I see those "deep cleaning an extremely muddy rug" videos I can't help but think that at least some of them are dirtied on purpose just to make a video about them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm also so cynical about humanity that when I see those "deep cleaning an extremely muddy rug" videos I can't help but think that at least some of them are dirtied on purpose just to make a video about them.

They absolutely are. And to be hoenst I'm a lot more forgiving of those. It's clever advertising for rug cleaning services.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah, they're all very similar to TysyTube. And to be clear, I'm not saying it's them, or that they're part of it, but the backdrop and the camera work and the general vibe of the videos are all similar to theirs.

I've got zero problem with people creating a problem to solve it in an instructional video. Just be up front about it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hellequin posted:

Oh it's definitely a content mill and they're playing the algorithm. There's this one non-objectionable guntube channel Backyard Ballistics run by an Italian guy in his late-20s who works in forensics and does some pretty impressive restorations of beat to poo poo/discarded historical firearms, always details his methods and explains exactly what he's doing, how a given piece came to be in its condition, and talks about any interesting engineering features of a given firearm. Watched a couple of his videos and then a few videos by a professional knife maker/blacksmith from Nova Scotia who did some really beautiful restoration jobs because, hey it's nice watching someone good at their job excel at a task, and immediately Youtube started recommending all these really obviously faked restoration videos. Dozens of videos with absolutely no commentary, canned music, weird transitions, etc. I took me weeks to repair the damage to my algorithm.

At least it wasn't as bad as when Youtube decided I wanted to watch nothing but cows getting hoof abscesses drained.

Most of the stuff that Backyard Ballistics does are hand ins and finds.

His boss gives the go ahead on them and once done & taken to the firing range they go to museums, seriously interesting stuff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only restoration channel worthy of trust is My Mechanics. That guy does some black voodoo magic and makes drat near perfect restorations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got zero problem with people creating a problem to solve it in an instructional video. Just be up front about it.

You won't believe what we found in this customer's carpet!!!

*insert thumbnail with a dirty carpet and big arrow pointing to a giant circle at random spot and someone with a shocked face*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

You won't believe what we found in this customer's carpet!!!

*insert thumbnail with a dirty carpet and big arrow pointing to a giant circle at random spot and someone with a shocked face*

Mr Beast is into carpet cleaning now???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

njsykora posted:

I continue to be greatful with those things of Regular Car Reviews pointing out in a car show video that fake rust always fades out, while real rust has a hard edge which no-one can do right.

I watched a RCR recently after not seeing one for ages and it got weird. I don’t remember them being that off kilter lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One of the uglier instances of that kind of manufactured content farm I've seen was an animal rescue channel (I think it was based in Thailand). Something that initially seemed sweet, turned dark when I realized what was going on. A lot of the dogs had injuries.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

I watched a RCR recently after not seeing one for ages and it got weird. I don’t remember them being that off kilter lol.

I think i last watched one of his video when he started doing those buy a raffle ticket to win this car deals and it was far more insufferable than his previous output.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SlowBloke posted:

I think i last watched one of his video when he started doing those buy a raffle ticket to win this car deals and it was far more insufferable than his previous output.

Yeah they pivoted to the car resell raffle thing. I don't blame them, really, but that isn't for me so I unsubbed a long time ago.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rinkles posted:

One of the uglier instances of that kind of manufactured content farm I've seen was an animal rescue channel (I think it was based in Thailand). Something that initially seemed sweet, turned dark when I realized what was going on. A lot of the dogs had injuries.

This is extremely common. There have been a few videos from animal groups and others exposing the trend. The short of it is that groups, often in pour countries, put animals in life threatening situations (often harming them in the process, if not killing them) in order to film 'rescue' videos to exploit algorithms. Everybody loves an animal rescue and those videos get a TON of impressions on basically every platform.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

priznat posted:

Brian (Mr Regular) came out of the closet in 2021 at the age of 40 and he's been working through some stuff. His coming out video "Learning to Be Gay" was really touching, but content warning for suicide/self harm.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rinkles posted:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is extremely common. There have been a few videos from animal groups and others exposing the trend. The short of it is that groups, often in pour countries, put animals in life threatening situations (often harming them in the process, if not killing them) in order to film 'rescue' videos to exploit algorithms. Everybody loves an animal rescue and those videos get a TON of impressions on basically every platform.

Man, gently caress. Never watching one of those videos again :(

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Man, gently caress. Never watching one of those videos again :(

It's vile. But there are some real rescue groups out there - just follow them. Here's a good one: https://www.youtube.com/@OceanConservationNamibia

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I'm here fixing up this old computer. Wow, this fan sure is loud! Let's replace it with a Noctua fan that pushes 80% less air. Wow! That sure is a lot quieter now!

Thank you for watching literally every vintage computer YouTube channel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

waffle iron posted:

Brian (Mr Regular) came out of the closet in 2021 at the age of 40 and he's been working through some stuff. His coming out video "Learning to Be Gay" was really touching, but content warning for suicide/self harm.

Oh had no idea! I had unsubbed at some point i guess (probably when I purged my youtube because the algorithm was just going wild on me) and forgot to check it out again until just recently.

It was a review on the volvo C30, a really cool and odd hatchback.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
RCR to me became a jumble of lazy callbacks mixed with super high brow English Major humor.

The thing that would get me is things that were just obviously wrong and easy to look up. Mainly minor things, like "where is the alternator on this hybrid?" when it's pretty well known even among non car people like myself that hybrids don't typically have alternators. Or little nitpicky things like saying the Spark replaced the Aveo, when the Spark is a size class down, and the Sonic replaced the Aveo. But, as a non car guy, if he's getting these little details wrong, how am I supposed to know when he's full of poo poo on other things that I have no idea about?

I'll always love him for his first Miata video, though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wait if hybrids don't have alternators what recharges the battery

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VostokProgram posted:

Hybrids usually have alternators I believe, and that (plus braking?) would charge it.

Electric cars probably use some form of regulator or step-down method I would believe so that the 12v gets charged when the high-capacity banks do.

Edit: Should clarify that I don’t think it’s an alternator in the ICE sense, but a different type of alternator that gets used.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

VostokProgram posted:

They have a DC to DC converter to run the car's usual 12v systems (radio, seats, windows, wipers, all the stuff ICE vehicles have a fuse-box for essentially). The plug (for long charge), regenerative braking (burst), and in some cases the ICE engine itself (varies from some power supplied to it being nothing more than a generator depending on model) are what charge/re-charge the propulsion batteries.

There were a very few that had an actual alternator that runs the 12v systems, but those as I recall were extremely early models, and it wasn't something that carried forward in future generations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Hybrids use the motor(s) for braking and charging. There's no fundamental difference between an electric motor and a generator, though a motor is not an optimal generator.

AFAIK most, probably all hybrids absolutely have alternators. Having the 12v system fail and the car become completely inoperable in all aspects (including unlocking) if the high voltage system fails or has a safety shutdown would be dumb as hell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

Having the 12v system fail and the car become completely inoperable in all aspects (including unlocking) if the high voltage system fails or has a safety shutdown would be dumb as hell.

I think that sort of behaviour is reserved for the six-figure Muskmobiles.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Triikan posted:

I'm here fixing up this old computer. Wow, this fan sure is loud! Let's replace it with a Noctua fan that pushes 80% less air. Wow! That sure is a lot quieter now!

Thank you for watching literally every vintage computer YouTube channel.

Also every unifi video. Please ignore the temperature spiking into three digits, now it's quieter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The most egregious thing Mr. Regular ever did as far as car sins go is spend an entire review on a Jeep Cherokee with how an I6 engine is unbalanced.

The I6 is an inherently balanced design, it's baked into the core of what it is. Yet the review said the exact opposite and never was corrected. A bunch of other minor stuff too (pronouncing 'kei' like 'key' even though it's pronounced 'kay' and even though the kei van he was reviewing had a custom plate that said 'K VAN' right on it) but the straight six engine thing was a big one.

The guy fancies himself more knowledgeable than he is even though he very much isn't, but he can write and speak quite well.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

K8.0 posted:

AFAIK most, probably all hybrids absolutely have alternators.

They really don't. The hybrid system fills in for the role.

To be honest, I know this to be true, I just couched my language to "most" because I'm sure there has been at least one company that did something weird or maybe one of those "not really a hybrid" trucks had an alternator, but there's simply no reason for a hybrid to have an alternator.

They also don't have starters.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 23, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
RCR in the old days had absolutely nothing to do with car facts, it was just very funny automotive shitposting. Go back and look at the oldest videos on the channel; many of them are extremely funny but for a long time in the early years he really didn't talk much about the cars themselves. In the very first video on the channel he overdubs technical stuff about the engine with "blah blah blah". Then they ran out of jokes and had to pivot to being an actual car reviewer and it sucks now. I don't think they like what they do anymore but it's not like they can quit. A lot of YouTube channels are like TV shows that should have been cancelled 8 seasons ago but they keep running the gimmick into the ground because the content mill is their whole livelihood now.

e: example, one of my favorite RCR videos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

This video is not about the car.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So are LMG channels supposed to resume uploads today or tomorrow?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

One of the best RCR videos ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Branch Nvidian posted:

So are LMG channels supposed to resume uploads today or tomorrow?

They kinda left it open to interpretation I think. Everybody latched onto "week" meaning 7 days, but the way Yvonne worded it, the week may have meant "this full week that we are currently in now" ie things won't restart until next week.

I kinda think the next thing is going to be some sort of all hands on deck WAN show, but who knows.