Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

https://www.ft.com/content/812c9da3-80f2-4fe1-8fad-0b4441d1977a

quote:

Yevgeny Prigozhin in fatal plane crash, Russian officials say

I can't say I'm surprised....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

A half a coup is the exact wrong amount of coup to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The surprising thing is that people would fly in a private plane with or eat the same food as someone who publicly went against Putin a few weeks ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta finding out going on these days.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The surprising thing is that people would fly in a private plane with or eat the same food as someone who publicly went against Putin a few weeks ago.

Apparently a bunch of Wagner leadership was on board, including Dmitri "Wagner" Utkin, Prigo's #2 and the guy who allegedly founded Wagner in the first place. Utkin has the distinction of looking more like a nazi than anyone besides Goebbels.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*Barack Hussein Superallah « Obi-Wan Nairobi » the Islamic Shock Obama

The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fox plans to digitally insert Trump into the Republican debate tonight.

They are going to play statements and video clips by Trump, ask the other candidates to respond, and play clips of Trump criticizing the other candidates as "rebuttal" responses after they answer questions.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1694383289480393026

quote:

Donald Trump, the Republican 2024 frontrunner and quadruply indicted former president, will show up during Wednesday night’s GOP presidential primary debate—but there’s a catch.

Despite the twice-impeached ex-president very publicly skipping the debate and looking to upstage Fox News with a pre-taped Twitter interview with fired Fox star Tucker Carlson, the network still plans for Trump to have a heavy (non-physical) presence at the event.

“If he’s not there, he’ll still be there,” Bret Baier, the debate’s co-moderator, told Politico last week. “There may be sound bites, there may be elements where ‘this is what the leader of the primary says about this issue.’ He’ll be there, even if he’s not there.”

Indeed, multiple people familiar with the situation told The Daily Beast that the network has committed to a plan to “beam Trump in” by playing clips of him throughout the debate and having the candidates respond. The move partly satisfies the network’s need for an active, lively debate with the frontrunner somehow involved, as well as its post-2020 core operating principle to “respect the audience”—in particular, the MAGA base that craves all things Trump. But it would also satisfy Fox’s desire to effectively counter-program the Carlson interview.

The ex-president’s sitdown with Carlson was taped last week at Trump’s Bedminster, New Jersey golf club. Their chat will run for two hours, which is also the expected length of Fox’s debate. “MY INTERVIEW WITH TUCKER CARLSON WILL BE AIRED TONIGHT AT 9:00 P.M. ‘SPARKS WILL FLY.’ ENJOY!” Trump bellowed in a quintessentially all-caps Truth Social post on Wednesday morning.

According to people familiar with the interview, their friendly chat will feature no explicitly tough questions or contentious moments—just two ideologically aligned men looking to exact revenge on Fox and its debate. Sources with knowledge of the chat said the pair bonded over their shared hatred of Fox founder Rupert Murdoch, though not on camera. Much of the interview will center around foreign policy and Ukraine.

While Trump’s physical presence on the debate stage would have undoubtedly provided the massive ratings bonanza that Fox desires, in the end, people familiar with the matter told The Daily Beast, the network had multiple contingency plans in the event he bailed. Although management is not surprised by his decision, they are still “pissed,” sources said.

Fox News declined to comment.

Trump had strongly suggested for months that he wouldn’t show up to the first primary debate, citing his massive polling lead in the Republican primary, which only seems to grow with each additional criminal indictment. Furthermore, his growing animosity towards Fox over the network’s perceived lack of loyalty was also a significant factor.

In fact, just before publicly confirming he would not show up in Milwaukee, Trump fumed that his longtime favorite morning show Fox & Friends was showing the “worst pictures” of him, “especially the big ‘orange’ one with my chin way back.” Trump has also repeatedly complained that the right-wing network has turned on him, especially as it seeks to find a Trump alternative to boost among the crowded GOP field. Murdoch has reportedly encouraged Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin to jump in the race, and the channel was seemingly all-in on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis before throwing its weight behind “anti-woke” entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy.

Multiple people familiar with the situation tell The Daily Beast, however, that Trump’s mind was made up earlier this month after Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and President Jay Wallace dropped in for dinner at Bedminster as part of a full-court press to convince Trump to participate in the debate. Following that visit, the ex-president decided he didn’t need the conservative cable giant.

While Trump and Carlson had informally discussed for months the idea of competing with the Fox News debate with their own event, the conversation only became serious after the dinner with Scott and Wallace. The Washington Post first reported that the interview needed to be filmed last Wednesday because the ex-Fox host would be in Europe this week to interview Hungarian autocrat Viktor Orban.

“Trump did not want it to become public that he had taped the interview and instructed his team to keep it a secret, advisers said,” the Post reported. “Trump’s team tried to keep signaling he might still attend the Fox debate, with aides refusing to confirm he was considering sitting for a Carlson interview that he had already recorded. Even then, he kept polling people on whether he should attend the debate.”

Carlson, like Trump, has publicly and privately feuded with Fox News for months now. Once the top-rated host in all of cable news, Carlson was shockingly ousted just days after the right-wing channel settled Dominion Voting Systems’ defamation lawsuit for nearly $800 million. At the same time, though, Fox will not release Carlson from his contract and has accused him of breaching the terms of his employment by launching his show on Twitter, the social app now branded as X.

With Trump essentially slapping Fox News in the face with his Carlson sitdown, the network is making sure that the ex-president’s presence will still be largely felt on its airwaves Wednesday night.

All along, Fox has been going into the debate with two plans in place—one featuring Trump attending, and one with him not showing up. Trump stringing them along, even after he’d already made up his mind earlier this month to ditch the debate, led Fox to keep the contingencies in place until basically the last minute.

According to one well-placed Fox News insider, the network had been working “overtime” recently to make sure the prevailing story around this debate isn’t that the network failed to get Trump, even though that appears to be the dominating narrative surrounding the event.

“They’re panicked. And tried everything they could to get him to attend. But obviously, it didn’t work,” the source added. “Their assumption is the ratings will be fine, but nowhere near where they would be if Trump was there.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That is so degrading to everyone who shows up... it's perfect

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I kinda want to watch now, this sounds way too weird to be true.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They should make a Trump hologram like Tupac

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I hope it works out as well as that time they were going to have Clint Eastwood hector and berate a hologram of Obama but the tech failed so he just yelled at an empty chair for like an hour.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doug Burgum has also reportedly tore a tendon during a basketball game and can't stand. It's not clear how this is going to impact his participation in the debate.

Edit:

He says he's not sure if he will participate or not. But, if he does, then he won't take any pain meds that could alter his "cognitive abilities."

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/1694423443012202770

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 23, 2023

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I hope it works out as well as that time they were going to have Clint Eastwood hector and berate a hologram of Obama but the tech failed so he just yelled at an empty chair for like an hour.
That worked so well I was today years old when I found out there was supposed to be a holObama

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

zoux posted:

Lotta finding out going on these days.

Apparently a bunch of Wagner leadership was on board, including Dmitri "Wagner" Utkin, Prigo's #2 and the guy who allegedly founded Wagner in the first place. Utkin has the distinction of looking more like a nazi than anyone besides Goebbels.
Having SS tattoos tends to contribute to that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

was that really the plan?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1694358532701749382

This was during Trump's term but it's very concerning that some of these guys might stlll be in the Secret Service

The president's personal detail was swapped out for guys he knew from his VP detail over loyalty concerns in late 2020.

Another reason why Pence didn't get into the SS Vehicle on 1/6

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1694358532701749382

This was during Trump's term but it's very concerning that some of these guys might stlll be in the Secret Service

To me this pretty much confirms that if Pence went with the Secret Service on Jan 6th he would have been delivered to the mob.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

He was a Muslim and non-white, but not a Republican.

Oh derp. I glossed over "GOP" and ruined my own bad joke even before I made it.

Alternately, "something, something but his policies."

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you think about it a plane is the biggest window of all :hmmyes:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: “When you strike at a king, you must kill him.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalli posted:

That is so degrading to everyone who shows up... it's perfect

Too bad about the general but the fun part of 2016 was watching Trump demolish Proud Respectable Conservatives in the primaries. So while I'm still going to fret about 2024, I'm gonna try to stay in the present and enjoy myself, you know?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

Proud Respectable Conservatives in the primaries.

Sorry, all we have on offer is disgusting craven piece of poo poo conservatives, hope that's alright

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

They are going to play statements and video clips by Trump, ask the other candidates to respond, and play clips of Trump criticizing the other candidates as "rebuttal" responses after they answer questions.

this is a trial run for making him a virtual candidate that can keep running long past his imminent coronary

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry, all we have on offer is disgusting craven piece of poo poo conservatives, hope that's alright

Well, as long as they're humiliated. I guess.

OddObserver posted:

Having SS tattoos tends to contribute to that.

This mf had a totenkopf for a head

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is a trial run for making him a virtual candidate that can keep running long past his imminent coronary

Nothing in the constitution says a candidate can't be dead!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
digital beings arent natural born citizens though.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wow! vice president hatsune miku!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
god, after trump dies there will absolutely be a couple decades of "i saw him pumping gas at an east duluth shell station" like there was with elvis

but, you know, way scarier because nobody ever marched on the capitol with guns and other weapons to install elvis presley as president

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
We regret to inform the country that the servers containing President Reagan's Holograms became corrupted and the backups lost, we will start the inauguration of Vice President Tupac as soon as Chief Justice Chuck-E-Cheese gets done playing guitar at a 7 year old's birthday party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no, a promising young GOP apprentice has taken the Trump Holocron!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They should just deepfake Trump and have ChatGPT pretend to be him live for the debates. It will be great.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Craig K posted:

god, after trump dies there will absolutely be a couple decades of "i saw him pumping gas at an east duluth shell station" like there was with elvis

No, because if the right wing media complex continues to exist he will be memory holed even more quickly and completely than Reagan and GWB are right now, who were at least two termers.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The first self-aware AI is going to be based on trump tweets and we are fuuuuuucked

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

When you thought the chair was empty, it was goons sitting on Obama's behalf instead. Or something.

Is there any way to see the pubbie debate outside the US? I don't think Fox would give me a trial sub for their streaming service without me spoofing a US postal address or some nonsense like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ihop posted:

The first self-aware AI is going to be based on trump tweets and we are fuuuuuucked

These tweets were very nasty to Mr. Basilisk. Very nasty and very unfair. It's ok though, we're going to deal with that and so many other things in such a beautiful way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jethro posted:

That worked so well I was today years old when I found out there was supposed to be a holObama

I'm with you. Is the holObama thing real or was it just them trying to save face after an embarrassing presentation of Old Man Yells At Chair?

Zwabu posted:

No, because if the right wing media complex continues to exist he will be memory holed even more quickly and completely than Reagan and GWB are right now, who were at least two termers.

Reagan wasn't and still hasn't been memory holed. Whitewashed, yes, but he's very much still the Modern Republican Messiah. It helped that he lingered for a while with his acting skills fully intact which kept him photogenic even if the Alzheimer's had stripped much of his ability to even know what day it was.

Dubya is definitely Mr. Memory Hole of course. Everyone on both sides wants him to just stay on his private residence and paint his pictures.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I dunno how’d Bobby Jindal do?

Bobby Jindal, the first non-white person to ever be elected governor of Louisiana, a deep-red southern state? I think he did pretty okay for himself.

He did pretty poorly in the 2016 GOP primaries, granted, but so did a dozen white guys. He dropped out before the first primary even happened, but so did Scott Walker, Lindsey Graham, and Rick Perry, three white Christians who (like him) had held statewide positions when they started their runs.

This is sad, pathetic, and humiliating for everyone involved (except Trump). For Fox, it's an obviously desperate move. For the other candidates, it robs them of crucial screentime and puts a big spotlight on how irrelevant they actually are. I can't imagine anyone's happy about this except Trump.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alkydere posted:

I'm with you. Is the holObama thing real or was it just them trying to save face after an embarrassing presentation of Old Man Yells At Chair?

I distinctly remember it being the claim afterward, but sadly cannot find anything concrete from the period to confirm it.

But, crucially, it is funnier than the alternative.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I distinctly remember it being the claim afterward, but sadly cannot find anything concrete from the period to confirm it.

But, crucially, it is funnier than the alternative.

I mean let's be honest here: that whole thing was such a mess there is no non-funny explanation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does anyone have a link to the 2012 GOP primary debate DnD campaign thing that Shadowcatboy did? I think they posted the gifs somewhere on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cicero posted:

Does anyone have a link to the 2012 GOP primary debate DnD campaign thing that Shadowcatboy did? I think they posted the gifs somewhere on the internet.

I assume you mean this.