Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jaytan posted:

Yeah it’s definitely the most boring solution. I’m very interested in how they hope to ever make itemization interesting when the (apparent) ideal decision tree for items is “pick the highest item level weapon, run defensive affixes where available. Nothing else matters”

Honestly I was here for it when they said they were getting rid of sets. I think they made the itemization kinda boring in Diablo 3. They seem to be on track to not have sets, but also not have made itemization interesting either. 🤷

Vulnerable giving an additional effect rather than damage could be a nice way to go about it (spitballing let's say that vuln gives a flat increase to lucky hit chance for all classes and then class specific buffs like increased fury Gen against vuln for barb, increased crowd control duration/build up for sorc etc.) and change your vuln damage values to duration values on gear. Not sure if it's possible technically or if they'd want to tread down that road but I can see potential to open up gear options vastly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Changing vuln and crit isn’t going to make any of the other affixes better. Whatever they’re doing to allow more gear variety is going to have to improve everything else on top of making vuln and crit worse.

If they want to make the problem simpler I’m sure nobody would miss most of the conditional affixes.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The S2 stuff looks like a bunch of bug fixes and QOL stuff but I guess we'll see. I pretty much tapped out of S1 at level 78 and it doesn't seem all that exciting to pull me back in.

I'm actually kind of sad they are fixing resistances because I don't think we need another thing to try to care about on our 4 stats per gear piece.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Sets are cool and feel like a "Diablo"-thing since PoE has avoided adding them (except for those pseudo-sets from Bestiary league), would be cool if they added them but like someone else said at more of a "option" power-level like in D2 over the BiS status a lot of them had in D3.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jaytan posted:

They said previously they’re going to make vulnerable additive. They could also make crit additive. Doing both these changes would solve those being the damage stats for every build.

I mean you could make vulnerable status and crits into conditional chances to add +damage... but then why on earth would you want that instead of the already-present plethora of +damage options? You can have +50% damage or +50% damage but only when you proc vulnerable? That just reverses the situation there.

Crits are weird because now taking crit chance becomes a sizable damage loss, but it's the only way to activate on-crit abilities, so those abilities would have to be amazing to compensate and you'd still never take crit damage over +damage so it'd just be for the procs. I guess you could seriously boost +vuln and +cd to compensate further for them being worse, but that's just racing the internet to figure out the math and that'll be done five minutes after the patch hits.

Desperately clinging to having dozens of affixes doled out D2-style just reminds me of the builder/spender thing. Like the designers are in a room covering their ears and screaming "NO, IT'LL WORK! I'LL MAKE IT WORK" and you have to let them either burn out and leave or come to the realization on their own.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

uhh, what did I stumble in on here? :raise:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The 2 item sets in D3 were cool in that they mostly allowed you some speedfarm variants and weren't as powerful as the main "pushing" sets. There's really no difference between D3 sets and D4 aspects though. You still collect a bunch of very specific multipliers for your damage and defense that work best for your build. Needing 5 specific aspects for your build to work is no different from needing 5 set pieces. Sure they super inflated the numbers in D3 but the end result is the same across both games.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Norse Code posted:

Demon version of a rat king https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

bamhand posted:

The 2 item sets in D3 were cool in that they mostly allowed you some speedfarm variants and weren't as powerful as the main "pushing" sets. There's really no difference between D3 sets and D4 aspects though. You still collect a bunch of very specific multipliers for your damage and defense that work best for your build. Needing 5 specific aspects for your build to work is no different from needing 5 set pieces. Sure they super inflated the numbers in D3 but the end result is the same across both games.

Yeah I was saying this.

We're playing a slower D3 with a worse droprate due to the item pool and stat dilution. The loot filter is a bandaid to that dilution, but ultimately I'm seeing a Loot 2.0 in the game's future that will just get rid of the pointless 50 flavors of crowd control stats and introduce sets.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're idiots if they think it's making the side quests irrelevant.

There are essentially two groups of gamers that they made two different games for:

The first are normal people who are going to buy the new Diablo game, play the campaign, enjoy it for what it is, and then leave because hey the next new shiny video game came out. They might come back when you release an expansion with more story stuff. The side missions are a ton of extra content for those people. If they roll a second character they'll probably play the campaign again because, hey, it's a fun story and that's what we're all here for! These people likely don't care about seasons at all and will never, ever, give even the tiniest of a poo poo about patch notes. No, not even the really bad ones with a million shocked youtuber face reaction videos.

The second are the ARPG dopamine addicts who begrudgingly played through the campaign once on their way to grinding monsters for end game loot for the next thousand hours. They give zero shits about the side quests because they're just a speed bump on the way to hitting max level and running the same dungeon a thousand times in a week in order to make their numbers go up. Seasons are the true game for them, and they have strong opinions about the lack of leaderboards. When you release patch notes they will pour over them for days looking for the new meta, and if they even suspect that you have made it more difficult for them to rush end game (or god help you nerfed their preferred build) they will immediately start a youtube channel or podcast or blog dedicated to why this is the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever.

And all that's fine. None of the story or side quests or any of that is wasted effort because that's how you get millions of normal people to buy the game. gently caress, I was at a dinner party a couple of months ago and a poo poo ton of pretty plain vanilla normal people were talking about playing Diablo. Not even "normal for gamers" just like typical 40 something parents who had to hire a babysitter to get out of the house for a night. And the rest of it is how you keep the rest of us weirdos hanging around for the next however many years

I agree with this post.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many non-gamer folk had played or at least were aware of other people playing Diablo. Lots of them just beat the campaign and that was that.

I like Diablo 4 and I hope it continues to improve.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Changing vuln and crit isn’t going to make any of the other affixes better. Whatever they’re doing to allow more gear variety is going to have to improve everything else on top of making vuln and crit worse.

If they want to make the problem simpler I’m sure nobody would miss most of the conditional affixes.

Yeah, I think removing some of the conditional affixes would be nice

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Vic posted:

The loot filter is a bandaid to that dilution

According to the post they will let you filter the stash. Not the same as a loot filter where we can only pick up loot with certain stats. Sorting through loot is still going to be a headache without a true Last Epoch style loot filter.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I feel like that kind of loot filter won't work here unless they rejigger the economy and crafting. Currently you need all those trash yellows and legendaries to break them down into mats and money.

I wouldn't mind if that changed, to be clear.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Norse Code posted:

rear end to rear end to rear end to rear end to rear end

Goddamn, I cannot beat the wt4 echo of varshan with my frost sorc. I get him down to 50% reliably, but that loving shield just keeps popping and I'm always seeming to run out of mana. I've also killed like three world bosses without the corresponding season task updating from 11/15.

\/\/\/ ty

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 23, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Soonmot posted:

rear end to rear end to rear end to rear end to rear end

Goddamn, I cannot beat the wt4 echo of varshan with my frost sorc. I get him down to 50% reliably, but that loving shield just keeps popping and I'm always seeming to run out of mana. I've also killed like three world bosses without the corresponding season task updating from 11/15.

After the world boss dies, stick around in the zone for an extra 5 seconds. Five Miss. Is. Sip. Pi.

If you immediately zoop right out of there you aren't getting your Tree of Whispers credit!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are essentially two groups of gamers that they made two different games for:

The first are normal people who are going to buy the new Diablo game, play the campaign, enjoy it for what it is, and then leave because hey the next new shiny video game came out. They might come back when you release an expansion with more story stuff. The side missions are a ton of extra content for those people. If they roll a second character they'll probably play the campaign again because, hey, it's a fun story and that's what we're all here for! These people likely don't care about seasons at all and will never, ever, give even the tiniest of a poo poo about patch notes. No, not even the really bad ones with a million shocked youtuber face reaction videos.

The second are the ARPG dopamine addicts who begrudgingly played through the campaign once on their way to grinding monsters for end game loot for the next thousand hours. They give zero shits about the side quests because they're just a speed bump on the way to hitting max level and running the same dungeon a thousand times in a week in order to make their numbers go up. Seasons are the true game for them, and they have strong opinions about the lack of leaderboards. When you release patch notes they will pour over them for days looking for the new meta, and if they even suspect that you have made it more difficult for them to rush end game (or god help you nerfed their preferred build) they will immediately start a youtube channel or podcast or blog dedicated to why this is the worst thing to happen to gaming, ever.

And all that's fine. None of the story or side quests or any of that is wasted effort because that's how you get millions of normal people to buy the game. gently caress, I was at a dinner party a couple of months ago and a poo poo ton of pretty plain vanilla normal people were talking about playing Diablo. Not even "normal for gamers" just like typical 40 something parents who had to hire a babysitter to get out of the house for a night. And the rest of it is how you keep the rest of us weirdos hanging around for the next however many years

Popularity is what sells your game to "normal" people. Not the quests, not the quality (well okay if it's a huge buggy mess that might be a problem), but the marketing. Duh.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the season 2 stuff looks promising but lmao at the timing for these announcements. can't wait to see what they don't end up delivering on and what "fundamental changes to vuln and crit" looks like

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tonetta posted:

lmao at the timing for these announcements

What happened?? Did he shidd & fart & came his pants while announcing it? I don't watch GamerCom or whatever it is

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suppressor affix is making the post-game awful for me. I've run a bone spear necromancer through Season 1, and it's incidentally my first lv.100. I've been clawing my way up through the paragon boards and improving my glyphs, and I -could- potentially get past NM70, except suppressor affixed elites just stop my progress if they're encountered at all. Maybe it's because the ricochet on a bone spear is important to causing damage, but even getting point blank with a suppressor elite and magdumping my entire resource pool's worth of spears into them doesn't take them down, I'll always run out of corpses for my damage multipliers, and most of the big elites at that level just smear me in one hit anyhow. I feel like the only recourse you get for this is 'go play an alt that might not have problems with suppressor, enjoy grinding to cap again,' as I've heard other necro builds also don't deal with suppressor well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They confirmed that the 5 new bosses are permanent additions and going live on the Eternal Realm as well when Season 2 launches.

Also, a fireside chat revealing new features and changes made based on Season 1 feedback coming "closer to launch" in September.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

5er posted:

Suppressor affix is making the post-game awful for me. I've run a bone spear necromancer through Season 1, and it's incidentally my first lv.100. I've been clawing my way up through the paragon boards and improving my glyphs, and I -could- potentially get past NM70, except suppressor affixed elites just stop my progress if they're encountered at all. Maybe it's because the ricochet on a bone spear is important to causing damage, but even getting point blank with a suppressor elite and magdumping my entire resource pool's worth of spears into them doesn't take them down, I'll always run out of corpses for my damage multipliers, and most of the big elites at that level just smear me in one hit anyhow. I feel like the only recourse you get for this is 'go play an alt that might not have problems with suppressor, enjoy grinding to cap again,' as I've heard other necro builds also don't deal with suppressor well.

As a ranged rogue I had some difficulties with suppressor as well. The thing that has worked the best for me is putting a Protector aspect in place, which lets me survive enough to kill them off point blank. Won't help your damage problem but may at least help the survivability side?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I feel like that kind of loot filter won't work here unless they rejigger the economy and crafting. Currently you need all those trash yellows and legendaries to break them down into mats and money.

Maybe if it just highlighted the ones I need to look at twice vs instantly vendor that'd be good enough. My guess for the filter is that it's just going to work for stash and only highlight based on what you type, basically how search was implemented for D3.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They confirmed that the 5 new bosses are permanent additions and going live on the Eternal Realm as well when Season 2 launches.

Good poo poo. That should mean they're in S3+ too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

At a certain point the mats become drops and you only need to spend money when you actually have a gear upgrade to shoot for (which becomes infrequent). In other games you'd handle this by making the filter more strict as you progress in the game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wooo!!!!

Wild to think October is 6 weeks away though, Jesus Christ

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Eldarion posted:

As a ranged rogue I had some difficulties with suppressor as well. The thing that has worked the best for me is putting a Protector aspect in place, which lets me survive enough to kill them off point blank. Won't help your damage problem but may at least help the survivability side?

I've got that aspect and a few other defensive ones in place, and I am just so god drat fragile at NM70+ that it just doesn't matter with most Suppressor encounters. If Suppressor is by itself I can usually get by okay, but if it's combined with poison enchant, cold enchant or especially fire enchant, I'm guaranteed hosed.

I am considering that perhaps I can gearfarm for a bit, swap out my 2H for a 1H & shield. I've actually caught a couple good ilvl 810< shields before mulching/vending them and tucked them in the bank, but I haven't seen an enticing 1H to pair with it yet. My DPS may take a dip but the additional protection could be worth it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

So there's no time gap between the end of season 1 and the start of season 2? That's different than what is done for D3 and D2R right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MrMidnight posted:

So there's no time gap between the end of season 1 and the start of season 2? That's different than what is done for D3 and D2R right?

Season 1 ends October 9th. Season 2 starts the next week on the 17th.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Just two short months away.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But I want more spaghetti Now!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get what you're saying but d4 is in that awkward spot where blizzard wants people to keep coming back and potentially spend more money on battlepasses. They're trying to sell a service so even normies who casually play need to be enticed enough to come back every 3 months. But the stuff they're doing to actually make it appealing don't seem to be working?

It's different from games like street fighter 6 where people play for maybe a week and then dip out since we all know the core game was made for people who will continue grinding it. But even then capcom is doing cool stuff like ninja turtles dlc, what's blizzard doing except trying to fix their base game which seems deeply broken

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Uh.. Do you have any support for like... Any of that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You're asking for a source on Blizzard wanting people to buy battlepasses?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tiny Timbs posted:

You're asking for a source on Blizzard wanting people to buy battlepasses?

I don't care where you move the goal posts as long as you can make a better post than the one I was responding to.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But I want more spaghetti Now!

Calm down there's enough slop for you to enjoy until they sprinkle some dewormer on it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Actually, Blizzard made Diablo 4 always online and brute forced all the half baked MMO elements into the game and added an embarrassingly bad battlepass as a prank. They did not intend to monetize the game at all!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Season 1 ends October 9th. Season 2 starts the next week on the 17th.

Blizzard needs to update their in-game news panel on character select. It's still saying Season of the Malignant doesn't end until Oct 17th.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vic posted:

Calm down there's enough slop for you to enjoy until they sprinkle some dewormer on it

I was responding to your whinging that spaghetti is 2 months away, silly. I've finished my plate for now and politely excused myself from the table

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was responding to your whinging that spaghetti is 2 months away, silly. I've finished my plate for now and politely excused myself from the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't care where you move the goal posts as long as you can make a better post than the one I was responding to.

That's not moving the goal posts, that's their first point. I already figured you didn't read the posts you respond to after you tried to own me last time.