Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uh.. Do you have any support for like... Any of that?

you're right im sorry, battlepasses aren't a way to try and monetize the game after launch, totally baseless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
battlepasses were actually a ploy to get people to look at the shop and sticker-shock themselves into not buying anything and stopping playing

blizz got ur initial $60-70 and now you're not even a resource drain on their servers so :stonks:. checkmate

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
i posted a brief snippet from their filings a while back but sure here you go since you can't seem to remember:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

drat yall really think like this???

Last King posted:

sorry to bum you out, but it's not just us. straight from activision's annual reporting:

quote:

The increase in in-game net bookings for the year ended December 31, 2022, as compared to the year ended December 31, 2021, was primarily due to:
• a $481 million increase in Blizzard in-game net bookings, driven by in-game net bookings from (1) Diablo Immortal and (2) Overwatch 2; and
• a $163 million increase in King in-game net bookings, driven by the Candy Crush franchise.
We monitor monthly active users (“MAUs”) as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month.
We consider a variety of data points when determining the estimated service period for players of our games, including the weighted average number of days between players’ unique purchase or first day played online, and the time at which players become inactive and cease engaging with our content for a period of time.... Additionally, in the fourth quarter of 2022, the Company completed its annual assessment of the estimated service periods for players of our games. We have noted that players who purchase in-game content are playing certain of our titles, notably those in our Call of Duty and World of Warcraft offerings, for longer periods of time than in prior years as they engage with services we provide that are designed to enhance and extend gameplay. As such, we have concluded that the estimated service period for in-game revenues from such games has lengthened by approximately three months.

they're basically trying to replicate this across everything. more $30 skins, more battlepasses, more time spent logging in for everyone, every day.

yes they basically want everyone to log in, every day, and are trying to turn diablo into another wow / cod type game service.

in case you want some examples of the inspiration they're drawing from:

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Last King posted:

i posted a brief snippet from their filings a while back but sure here you go since you can't seem to remember:

yes they basically want everyone to log in, every day, and are trying to turn diablo into another wow / cod type game service.

in case you want some examples of the inspiration they're drawing from:

Wait you’re telling me I’ll be able to play Diablo 4 as Kevin Durant?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Excellent! On to the second point.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sick

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Excellent! On to the second point.

There are essentially two groups of gamers, and both are not playing Diablo 4.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You mean to tell me that companies try to make money? Off video games? That they sell!?!?

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Tiny Timbs posted:

You're asking for a source on Blizzard wanting people to buy battlepasses?

The poster above said their game was deeply broken and they are scrambling to try and fix it. The game has issues, yes, but it isn’t “deeply broken”. Many of us have 300+ hours of enjoyment out of it. Some folks ITT are treating the game like it’s Anthem. Screeching about how they are announcing the new season so early as some kind of point of failure isn’t helping anything. There’s a gaming convention happening this week. It makes sense timing wise.

Idk about y’all but I did not play D3 seasons start to finish. I had one maybe two characters I’d get my fill and move on until next season.

I’m kinda confused by some of the arguments here. “Blizzard is trying to get people to play the game every single day that’s so sinister!” That’s juxtaposed with “poo poo there’s not enough content for me to play every day they suck!”

Hell look at Destiny 2 where they nickel and dime folks who paid for the battle pass already. That stuff includes weapons with clear advantages. At least in D4 it’s a one time charge and there was some pretty decent cosmetics in it.

I would actually buy some of the in store skins if they were like $5. $20 is pretty outrageous. To compare it to COD is kind of disingenuous as well because they have completely jumped the shark and added $20 skins that let you spawn into DMZ with a UAV every time, ect. This battle-pass model is fairly tame in comparison.

I feel like S1 was a decent albeit weak start and I got my enjoyment out of it. I’ll gladly park the game and pick it back up in October to check out the new stuff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I feel the arguments would be easier to understand and accept if you didn't completely misrepresent them like some kinda bad faith argument elemental accidentally spawned by that Diablo 4 music video.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Costco thinks they're sooo slick with their little ploy to give me a free hot pocket or tiny cup with 3/4 of a tortilla chip in it, but I'm onto them!!1

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

El Scandelouse posted:

The poster above said their game was deeply broken and they are scrambling to try and fix it. The game has issues, yes, but it isn’t “deeply broken”.

You're right that I was wrong to use hyperbole but it does seem like they actually are scrambling to fix glaring issues. When announcing season 1 they said fixes for things like resistances wouldn't be there until season 2. Feels really bad when they want people to even play season 1!

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You're right that I was wrong to use hyperbole but it does seem like they actually are scrambling to fix glaring issues. When announcing season 1 they said fixes for things like resistances wouldn't be there until season 2. Feels really bad when they want people to even play season 1!

You use the word seem here. As far as AAA releases they have been fairly transparent about the issues they want to tackle and a reasonable timeframe to get it done. I was able to clear the hardest content in the game without resistances being an issue so it’s clearly not broken on that front.

I think the anger and resentment should be focused towards late state capitalism and how that’s driving business decisions from suits who give no fucks about video games. Would D4 have been a better game if they waited another year? Possibly. Could it have been worse because it would have been developed in a vacuum without millions of hours of playtime to use as data points? Possibly.

D4 is a fine game. It works and it’s fun to play in my opinion. I’m content with the way they have handled communication and I look forward to seeing where the next couple of years take it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

Costco thinks they're sooo slick with their little ploy to give me a free hot pocket or tiny cup with 3/4 of a tortilla chip in it, but I'm onto them!!1

Sorry mentioning Costco in this context got me immediately like:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I have to give blizzard credit, other games with "cosmetic only" microtransactions have sucked so much money out of me by making them cheap. I actually enjoy D4, and there's no way in hell I'm dropping 30 bucks on a character skin.

*MAYBE* if they let me be Mr Hips.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I didn't mean to touch as many nerves as I did, and I get it that d4 is causing some Big Feelings especially for people who are long time fans of the franchise and don't feel like it's meeting expectations and/or improving at a slower pace than is reasonable.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You're right that I was wrong to use hyperbole

I definitely owe you an apology. It was rude of me to be sassy, and I'm sure that from your perspective you were the first person ITT to make the hyperbolic /not-so-rooted-in-reality post that was really just venting some gamer rage. The thread has had a lot of that lately and I need to keep in mind that fifty people doing it once isn't the same as one guy doing it 50 times. Only the latter would call for a snarky "support your claims, bitch!" and I really should have just let it go

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vic posted:

I only know this term because of your recent wing-clipping, but isn't it like.. somewhat embarrassing, to try and "main character" this hard?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I hope they eventually make the positive nightmare dungeon affixes a little.more interesting than sometimes there is a lightning bolt or thorns damage lol

And literally all the annoying negative affixes are immediately trashed

It's like they spent 7 years on the art assets then remembered they had to deliver a game.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Vic posted:

Man you are so annoying it’s hurting my mental health. If you can’t contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way I’m going to be forced to throw another tantrum.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

5er posted:

Suppressor affix is making the post-game awful for me. I've run a bone spear necromancer through Season 1, and it's incidentally my first lv.100. I've been clawing my way up through the paragon boards and improving my glyphs, and I -could- potentially get past NM70, except suppressor affixed elites just stop my progress if they're encountered at all. Maybe it's because the ricochet on a bone spear is important to causing damage, but even getting point blank with a suppressor elite and magdumping my entire resource pool's worth of spears into them doesn't take them down, I'll always run out of corpses for my damage multipliers, and most of the big elites at that level just smear me in one hit anyhow. I feel like the only recourse you get for this is 'go play an alt that might not have problems with suppressor, enjoy grinding to cap again,' as I've heard other necro builds also don't deal with suppressor well.

Get them in a hallway and have the bone spear hit the wall before it hits the end of the bubble. Or make sure another mob is in there as well so the crit still procs (2nd hit).

Still sucks, but it usually works.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

VOTE1 posted:

Get them in a hallway and have the bone spear hit the wall before it hits the end of the bubble. Or make sure another mob is in there as well so the crit still procs (2nd hit).

Wait till corpse tendrils pops and applies vuln then dash in bonespear then to death and bloodmist out.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Every Necro should at least try out an infinimist build because it's extremely satisfying to completely nullify stuff like resource burn (before it got the axe) and suppressor fields. Nice bubble, be a shame if an invincible blood cloud farted a bunch of poison clouds in it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What the heck does the Suppressor Dome even DO?! All I can ever tell for certain is I die more inside of 'em

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It blocks attacks from outside the dome. You have to unlearn everything you learned in Destiny and enter the thunderdome.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol just had to make a character because there's only one horse in the game to kill for the endangered species challenge and it's inside a town and only a couple skills can reach it from outside

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

5er posted:

Suppressor affix is making the post-game awful for me. I've run a bone spear necromancer through Season 1, and it's incidentally my first lv.100. I've been clawing my way up through the paragon boards and improving my glyphs, and I -could- potentially get past NM70, except suppressor affixed elites just stop my progress if they're encountered at all. Maybe it's because the ricochet on a bone spear is important to causing damage, but even getting point blank with a suppressor elite and magdumping my entire resource pool's worth of spears into them doesn't take them down, I'll always run out of corpses for my damage multipliers, and most of the big elites at that level just smear me in one hit anyhow. I feel like the only recourse you get for this is 'go play an alt that might not have problems with suppressor, enjoy grinding to cap again,' as I've heard other necro builds also don't deal with suppressor well.

best thing i can say is just run past em if theyre not a mandatory kill. you can try to kite them next to a wall so the aura touches the wall. then the bouncing shards can work. if i didnt get a kill within a stun window of tendrils though, i ran away until i got another shot

also im not sure shields inherently add more defense, do they? i don’t use them but i didn’t think they had inherent armor or block chance or a pool of defensive attributes

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah they have an inherent block chance. I think it's 60%? They can also run DR stats and, I believe, armor and max life.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

hawowanlawow posted:

lol just had to make a character because there's only one horse in the game to kill for the endangered species challenge and it's inside a town and only a couple skills can reach it from outside

its a very silly achievement and i’m still not convinced that there’sa horse in the open world somewhere that is somehow still overlooked

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

El Scandelouse posted:

I would actually buy some of the in store skins if they were like $5. $20 is pretty outrageous.

This is exactly how I feel.

I also can't tell if anyone is actually buying this stuff. They're either zipping by on the open world or drowning in spell effects at a world event.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

moths posted:

This is exactly how I feel.

I also can't tell if anyone is actually buying this stuff. They're either zipping by on the open world or drowning in spell effects at a world event.

I’ve seen a handful of the witch doctor necro skins but that’s about it. I really enjoy the seasonal sweatpants on my necro.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

harrygomm posted:

its a very silly achievement and i’m still not convinced that there’sa horse in the open world somewhere that is somehow still overlooked

I had already naturally killed all but three types of little critters because I'm a mean bastard, the last three were in towns and had to be attacked from range

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the flayed skin necro set looks like she's in GWAR so, that's awesome, but yeah, I'm not dropping 30 bucks for GWAR, much less a skin that no one will notice

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cosmetics in this game seem silly because the character is so tiny/far away, usually covered in tornadoes and smoke or temporarily an actual WOLF, and also the cosmetics that are for sale are ugly + too expensive

I think I'm ok with that? Like I think it is overall good that I don't feel like buying cosmetics would enhance my Diablo experience?

To each their own but I've never understood why "the cosmetic shop sucks" would be a point against the game (not saying anyone on this page is saying that)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

El Scandelouse posted:

The poster above said their game was deeply broken and they are scrambling to try and fix it. The game has issues, yes, but it isn’t “deeply broken”. Many of us have 300+ hours of enjoyment out of it. Some folks ITT are treating the game like it’s Anthem. Screeching about how they are announcing the new season so early as some kind of point of failure isn’t helping anything. There’s a gaming convention happening this week. It makes sense timing wise.

Idk about y’all but I did not play D3 seasons start to finish. I had one maybe two characters I’d get my fill and move on until next season.

I’m kinda confused by some of the arguments here. “Blizzard is trying to get people to play the game every single day that’s so sinister!” That’s juxtaposed with “poo poo there’s not enough content for me to play every day they suck!”

Hell look at Destiny 2 where they nickel and dime folks who paid for the battle pass already. That stuff includes weapons with clear advantages. At least in D4 it’s a one time charge and there was some pretty decent cosmetics in it.

I would actually buy some of the in store skins if they were like $5. $20 is pretty outrageous. To compare it to COD is kind of disingenuous as well because they have completely jumped the shark and added $20 skins that let you spawn into DMZ with a UAV every time, ect. This battle-pass model is fairly tame in comparison.

I feel like S1 was a decent albeit weak start and I got my enjoyment out of it. I’ll gladly park the game and pick it back up in October to check out the new stuff.

This seasons offerings were pretty pathetic and one would hope they kick it up a magnitude going forward.. Cod is f2p so it's a bad comparison though I agree

5er
Jun 1, 2000

VOTE1 posted:

Having a wall to exploit for the ricochet isn't always a guaranteed situation to set up unfortunately. I love getting close wall hits for a nice little 'gently caress you' if it can be managed. The bigger problem overall is that I have to close the distance, which means there's a huge chance I'm going to get killed before I'm even entirely sure how it happened, but I DO know it was because I tried to get close. Fire enchant, for example, is a guaranteed instant death sentence at NM75+ if I get in melee range.

harrygomm posted:

best thing i can say is just run past em if theyre not a mandatory kill. you can try to kite them next to a wall so the aura touches the wall. then the bouncing shards can work. if i didnt get a kill within a stun window of tendrils though, i ran away until i got another shot

also im not sure shields inherently add more defense, do they? i don’t use them but i didn’t think they had inherent armor or block chance or a pool of defensive attributes

Running past a suppressor doesn't work out well for two reasons. One is, now I am sandwiched between new stuff I have to keep away from in order to kill, and the virtually immortal elite guy I'm trying to run past. The second issue is almost every loving suppressor dude has the soul of Usain Bolt and will run me down no matter what speed bonus I have, which just makes the first problem even more emphatic.

I did try the 1H and shield option. I had a really nice Lidless Wall I was hanging onto, and I apparently also had the foresight to toss a good 1h in there in the past too. I didn't notice a dip in my damage output at all which was great, and Lidless bonestorm on a full sacrifice build is thoroughly entertaining... but it made zero impact on my problems with suppressors. I ate a lot of poo poo too on regular elites just dashing up to me and hitting me, I felt absolutely no improvement to my durability whatsoever, and having the extra ruby didn't offset things much.

All I have left to do this season, the only thing at all is to defeat uber lilith and I do not think I've got the capability of soloing it. If anyone reading this thread has a seasonal character that can just crush her and is willing to drag me, go to the discord and @ me- I had asked for help earlier today in the game chat thread. I'd be very grateful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Malignant hearts aren't gonna be enough for a player who's already burnt out on D4, and I definitely want Season 2+ to have more exciting mechanics

But to play Diablo's Advocate for a second here, Season 1 started a month after the game came out. Anything in Season 1 has got to just be stuff they removed from the base game so that it could show up a month later as Seasonal Content, right?

Season 1 would have been super exciting if it marked the release of Uniques, WT4, Helltides, etc. I'm glad we had those for the month of Early Access (am I using that right?) but I feel like the tradeoff to having more stuff at launch means less stuff a month later

The unspoken part is it would have been cool if the game just had lots and heaps and gobs more content ready at launch so they could have held even more of it for S1 Content.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Cosmetics in this game seem silly because the character is so tiny/far away, usually covered in tornadoes and smoke or temporarily an actual WOLF, and also the cosmetics that are for sale are ugly + too expensive

I think I'm ok with that? Like I think it is overall good that I don't feel like buying cosmetics would enhance my Diablo experience?

To each their own but I've never understood why "the cosmetic shop sucks" would be a point against the game (not saying anyone on this page is saying that)

No I totally agree, dolly dressup is my favorite part of rpgs, so that the costume shop being terrible saves me from spending money, because cool outfits trigger all my auDHD bullshit and drain my wallet

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's elites you kill twice and some cellars

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

flashman posted:

This seasons offerings were pretty pathetic and one would hope they kick it up a magnitude going forward.. Cod is f2p so it's a bad comparison though I agree

Call of Duty ain’t free to play my dude. Warzone and DMZ are sure but you can’t realistically unlock all the camos and attachments in just Warzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

flashman posted:

It's elites you kill twice and some cellars

There's also WAY too long a delay between kill 1 and kill 2, and also the cellars use the same -5 level scaling that open-world content does.

I figured it went without saying that Seasonal Content means Malignant Hearts, but I strongly agree that the malignant tunnels are dogshit lol

I just don't do 'em, especially since hearts including wrathfuls flow freely like water in content like Helltides & NMs