Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dr_rat posted:

what the true path is!

Number Goes Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gripweed posted:

Why are people using dew point instead of humidity?

humidity sucks rear end compared to dew point. I hate how humidity is the default measure that everyone knows which makes it impossible to get a cheap wireless outdoor thermometer that shows temperature and dew point instead of temperature and humidity or heat index.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The simplest hygrometers have historically been a piece of natural fiber that twists with humidity, attached to a needle. These react to relative humidity.

With electronic devices, it’s easy enough to calculate and display dew point, but they’re still stuck acting like analog instruments.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shifty Pony posted:

humidity sucks rear end compared to dew point. I hate how humidity is the default measure that everyone knows which makes it impossible to get a cheap wireless outdoor thermometer that shows temperature and dew point instead of temperature and humidity or heat index.

But humidity measures how humid it is. Dew point measures... the point at which dew occurs, I think? How is that good?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
just convert between dew point and RH I guess

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

she gave me heat dome on my wet bulb til i reached my dew point

do the dew

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Dew point is for baby brains

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
dewby's dogg house

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Dew point is for baby brains

Babies should not have dew in the brain. If that's regularly occurring it means your baby is missing it's skull and should seek medical assistance immediately.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I simply just go outside and see how I feel. 'It's hot! It's muggy! The hills are on fire!' etc. No need for dew points or temperature nonsense.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gripweed posted:

But humidity measures how humid it is. Dew point measures... the point at which dew occurs, I think? How is that good?

Dew point just measures just how much water is in the air, while relative humidity measures both water and temperature of the air.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its too hot in the morning. I hate it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

wet wet wet wet bulbs. in my ladies garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJM1E0x0nI

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

upstate NY we'll be 72° today.. Heat dome heat Schmome.. It's really nice AC is off windows are open.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tater_salad posted:

upstate NY we'll be 72° today.. Heat dome heat Schmome.. It's really nice AC is off windows are open.

hell yeah bouta bike to work in the cool sunshine

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
T of -20F and Td of -20F is RH 100%

T of 75F and Td of 75F is RH 100%

A Td of 75F is going to have ~50 times the amount of water vapor compared to -20F, despite them both having a relative humidity of 100%.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i know it's not a perfect indicator but like if it storms the higher the dew point is the worse it's going to be.

when we get storms with dew points in the high 60s or into the 70s it's bad poo poo and my power's going to be out

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Wearing a hoodie at my desk on my NE Ohio porch. Sorry about the rest of you.

Edit: you know, other than the fact that I'm in Ohio.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

TehSaurus posted:

gently caress yeah masa rules

also the chicken and beef and almost everything else you eat is made from corn or corn byproducts irrespective of consumptive fitness

No bitch I got that local grass fed cows

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
grass fed beef does not taste as good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Oglethorpe posted:

the observed increase in ambient temperatures is purely psychrosomatic

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Oglethorpe posted:

psychrosomatic

adiabatic, insane

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Dew point is the temperature the air needs to be cooled to in order to reach 100% relative humidity.

Luneshot posted:

I wonder if you can sound the siren in short bursts or something so it doesn’t sound like a normal tsunami siren, but as a “hey that sounds weird i wonder what’s going on, better check the news” siren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Js37VJA4g

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Is this the dew point/ wet bulb explained thread?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's the :siren: thread

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

titty_baby_ posted:

Is this the dew point/ wet bulb explained thread?

you just take a bulb and put it in a sink

then let that sink in

:elon::elon::elon:

My Pigs Huge Balls
Jun 4, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

adiabatic, insane

That bulb needs therapy!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shifty Pony posted:

Commercial units kind of suck too. I got a weather station and the barometer is off by 3mbar or so, and the replacement they sent was even worse. I don’t even know if the hygro is accurate.

Is there one that even can calculate dew point outside of professional gear or sensor packages attached to a raspberry pi? Dew point is usually kinda buried in weather sites too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tater_salad posted:

yeah windows open downstate today too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SirPablo posted:

T of -20F and Td of -20F is RH 100%

T of 75F and Td of 75F is RH 100%

A Td of 75F is going to have ~50 times the amount of water vapor compared to -20F, despite them both having a relative humidity of 100%.

dew point is the most metric rear end poo poo ive ever seen in my otherwise pure and good imperial system

"bbbbut but but its the true mass of water in the air" :cmon: nobody care about water gently caress water we freeze that poo poo in the middle of nowhere on the f temp scale.
the only standard i care about is if a 17th century king would get swamp rear end in similar conditions - as god intended

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
sirpablo teaches c-spam to read a skew-t plot challenge

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

titty_baby_ posted:

No bitch I got that local grass fed cows

remind me what kind of plant corn is again

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My new heat pump is installed now so I don't give a gently caress about weather or dew anymore. Man prevails over nature as usual.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

TehSaurus posted:

remind me what kind of plant corn is again

Grass fed is an industry term that specifically excludes corn, dingus. Learn2beef

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Weather zika babies with small wet brains not understanding dew points.

Dew point is the temperature where the air is 100% saturated with water, cannot hold any more at all.

As the air cools, the dew point also recedes and loses water holding capacity. You might see this effect when you put an ice cold glass of water out and condensation builds (from locally cooling air below the dew point) and your grandma starts yelling at you about not using a coaster, or more commonly, in the morning when everything is covered in "dew" from the air expelling the water it could not hold as the overnight temperature drops.

It's also important to recognize that your body cools by evaporating water off your skin into the air. If the air is at maximum water capacity, you aren't going to have much room to fit your cooling moisture in.

There are other fun things with dew points but these are good basics to start thinking about.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The real dew points are the wet bulbs we made along the way

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Thesaurus posted:

My new heat pump is installed now so I don't give a gently caress about weather or dew anymore. Man prevails over nature as usual.

good for you.

here comes a -45 degree month in winter.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

titty_baby_ posted:

Grass fed is an industry term that specifically excludes corn, dingus. Learn2beef

most "grass fed" cows are finished on corn. less than 1% is grass finished.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A Bad King posted:

good for you.

here comes a -45 degree month in winter.

So much for global warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Rauros posted:

most "grass fed" cows are finished on corn. less than 1% is grass finished.

Not where I am bitch