Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

pales in comparison to Triggers broom

That’s fair Triggers broom introduced the Ship of Theseus to a whole generation.

E: just remembered the Stewart Lee bit lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1J_iHC2Qw

Annabel Pee has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I feel like all of these are too extreme positions for me.

The UK Office is something that was so uncomfortable I couldn't sit through the first episode. I do however respect that other people find it funny, but Arrested Development is the same thing, where this is deeply uncomfortable to me and a lot of the jokes are too on the nose. The transphobia in both isn't great. I liked the US Office quite a bit, I think Parks and Rec was a good iteration on the formula and that stayed fresher for longer IMHO.

I liked Community, I also liked "A Bit of Fry and Laurie". Quite frankly I think both were standouts in their own way and there hasn't really been anything quite like them since.

The Eric Andre show is good, some of their bits are a bit too much for me. I found Peep Show super unwatchable but I can stand some individual episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Frasier is good but I bounced off Cheers. Father Ted is barely mid but Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is great. IASIP has a sinusoidal thing going on where if i watch too much I bounce off of it, I also get that from Keeping Up Appearances.

I don't think it's useful to say that all of US comedy is shite or all of UK comedy is shite.

I will however say that, PHUO: The original UK run of House of Cards is loving hilarious and shocking, and when I went back and tried to watch the US version all I could think about was how sloppy it was in comparison. The US version was a standout at the time but it's a shame that the original version doesn't get more attention.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

alexandriao posted:

I feel like all of these are too extreme positions for me.

The UK Office is something that was so uncomfortable I couldn't sit through the first episode. I do however respect that other people find it funny, but Arrested Development is the same thing, where this is deeply uncomfortable to me and a lot of the jokes are too on the nose. The transphobia in both isn't great. I liked the US Office quite a bit, I think Parks and Rec was a good iteration on the formula and that stayed fresher for longer IMHO.

I liked Community, I also liked "A Bit of Fry and Laurie". Quite frankly I think both were standouts in their own way and there hasn't really been anything quite like them since.

The Eric Andre show is good, some of their bits are a bit too much for me. I found Peep Show super unwatchable but I can stand some individual episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Frasier is good but I bounced off Cheers. Father Ted is barely mid but Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is great. IASIP has a sinusoidal thing going on where if i watch too much I bounce off of it, I also get that from Keeping Up Appearances.

I don't think it's useful to say that all of US comedy is shite or all of UK comedy is shite.

I will however say that, PHUO: The original UK run of House of Cards is loving hilarious and shocking, and when I went back and tried to watch the US version all I could think about was how sloppy it was in comparison. The US version was a standout at the time but it's a shame that the original version doesn't get more attention.

There is very little tv that doesnt socially disappoint me, if not for what happens onscreen then for the conditions it was made in. Your overall point is the same as what I was trying to make (minus my holding different shows in different regards)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
recommendations are poison, maybe its just me being uppity but as soon as you watch a show on the basis someone else said its good you expect more of it, probably why i love alan partridge and peep show so much - from stumbling across them unprovoked

it makes sense, its easier to make someone laugh if they arn't expecting it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I remember liking Absolutely Fabulous when I saw some of it way back in the 90s, so when I saw it was on a streaming platform I was stoked to revisit it.

The first episode was... just kind of sad, really. More a cautionary tale than a comedy. Kind of made me want to quit drinking.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

I remember liking Absolutely Fabulous when I saw some of it way back in the 90s, so when I saw it was on a streaming platform I was stoked to revisit it.

The first episode was... just kind of sad, really. More a cautionary tale than a comedy. Kind of made me want to quit drinking.

I fuckin love Ab Fab, but I’m 9 years sober and it reinforces that decision

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dick van Dyke’s closet full of walnuts

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

It really was a funny episode

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Lucy eating all the chocolates on the conveyer belt is still the high water mark of any sitcom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Robobot posted:

Lucy eating all the chocolates on the conveyer belt is still the high water mark of any sitcom.

Remember when a movie was just a fellow with a hat running away from a fellow with no hair?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gave I think you should leave's first episode a shot, it was very very cringe and certainly not funny

Much like your posting

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its not even that American tv is badly written and tottaly lacks wit or self awareness that bothers me, its that every tv show they make seems to need at least 100 episodes minimum

There’s a reason for that - shows with 100 episodes or more were/are more valuable in syndication, because it means you’re going to get at least 20 weeks of weekday airings before you hit a rerun.

Something has to fill the dead air on the third digital subchannel of MeTV.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Blue Moonlight posted:

There’s a reason for that - shows with 100 episodes or more were/are more valuable in syndication, because it means you’re going to get at least 20 weeks of weekday airings before you hit a rerun.

Something has to fill the dead air on the third digital subchannel of MeTV.

It's funny that they came up with this super profitable, successful paradigm for TV, and then decided to throw it away for a new paradigm that makes no money. If you went back in time to 1980 and told a TV exec that in the future a TV company was going to spend 200 million dollars on a TV show that was watched by max 10,000 people, they would assume that every person involved in that production would be publicly executed. That show would be commonly known as a world historic flop that people would reference as shorthand for a bad idea for the next half century. But now I can tell you that that show happened and was called Jupiter's Children, and you don't even know if I'm lying. Devastating flops that would have destroyed a network in the old days come out like once a month now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gripweed posted:

It's funny that they came up with this super profitable, successful paradigm for TV, and then decided to throw it away for a new paradigm that makes no money. If you went back in time to 1980 and told a TV exec that in the future a TV company was going to spend 200 million dollars on a TV show that was watched by max 10,000 people, they would assume that every person involved in that production would be publicly executed. That show would be commonly known as a world historic flop that people would reference as shorthand for a bad idea for the next half century. But now I can tell you that that show happened and was called Jupiter's Children, and you don't even know if I'm lying. Devastating flops that would have destroyed a network in the old days come out like once a month now.

Until you named Jupiter's Children I assumed you were talking about Secret Invasion.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Double basin kitchen sinks are one of the stupidest loving home design choices I can name. You started with a sink that was big enough to wash a casserole dish in and then erected a goddamn Berlin Wall in the middle so now nothing wider than a dinner plate can actually fit. It actively prevents me from soaking my dishes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

soaking dishes is for suckers

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Robobot posted:

I have to go with Carol Burnette walking down the stairs wearing the curtains(complete with curtain rod) to lampoon ‘Gone With The Wind’.

It was a variety show rather than a sitcom, so your point still stands.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

soaking dishes is for suckers

Wash your dishes before poo poo goes lukewarm and crusts yw

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
For a long time I used to not have a dishwasher, so tried to wash everything immediately in the sink. Which works fine.

But there are some things that are just a lot more pleasant to stick in the machine, like greasy pyrex casseroles.

Either way there is no need to ever soak anything, just wash it, don't put it off.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just eat everything out of the pot I cook it in :confused:

free lifehack

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

Either way there is no need to ever soak anything, just wash it, don't put it off.

There is absolutely no way I am ever going to finish eating and then immediately wash dishes. That's the time to relax.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I cannot relax while there are unwashed dishes in my sink

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Soaking is for when you’ve got something burned onto the dish/pan/whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just think of the dried up filth as seasoning for the next dish

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

steinrokkan posted:

Just think of the dried up filth as seasoning for the next dish

Hay, if it works for the cast-iron fanatics...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If you soak for long enough the dishes will dissolve into the water and you don't have to wash them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

For a long time I used to not have a dishwasher, so tried to wash everything immediately in the sink. Which works fine.

But there are some things that are just a lot more pleasant to stick in the machine, like greasy pyrex casseroles.

Why would I need to soak things off if i clean them still while they are hot while I'm cooking ?

It's the best lifehack — any time while you're waiting for things to cook, use that time to clean up the spare dishes you just used. Stuff remains fine for a minute after you've plated and tubbed the remaining stuff up, having cleaned earlier you still have hot water, so just clean it out after plating. The proteins and liquids likely haven't had time to bind to the material by this point, so it is orders of magnitude easier to wash off — most things just need a wipe over and a rinse. Maybe twenty seconds for a really big pot.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Aug 26, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also carbon scoring on pans, if you're using lovely pans, are SO much easier to get clean with minimal effort when it's fresh to the surface and hot

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PHUO: Clean as you go is often inconvenient, especially for weeknight cooking. Or if you're making things that people will want seconds of.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Aug 26, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PHUO: Clean as you go is often inconvenient, especially for weeknight cooking. Or if you're making things that people will want seconds of.

You just decant from the tubs you put it in. They'll cool in the tubs but will be warm enough for seconds, and when you're done eating washing your plate is a reminder to put the tubs in the fridge, too

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

alexandriao posted:

You just decant from the tubs you put it in. They'll cool in the tubs but will be warm enough for seconds, and when you're done eating washing your plate is a reminder to put the tubs in the fridge, too

This assumes some very specific things about the leftovers being made.

Also when I finish cooking I want to sit down and eat, especially if I've also been wrangling a child at the same time. Cleaning can wait, even if it takes longer.

"Clean as you go" is not useless advice, it's just less practical than a lot of its advocates claim it to be.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
doing the dishes in one big sesh once a week is fine

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
also it takes like 30 seconds to rinse a plate and some cutlery and wipe it down to use the next day so the only proper dishes you should be doing are pots, pans and overly saucy containers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please don't let dishes accumulate for a week. Just do them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'Wash as you go' doesn't really work when you still have food in the pots and pans and you have to wait for everyone to finish eating so you can put up the leftovers first before you can clean. :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A dishwasher was one of the best things I ever purchased. Even as someone who doesn't cook very much, the dishwasher does such a better job than I did at cleaning things and uses far less water to do it. And I'm continually amazed that "just scrape" actually works because when I was a kid, it sure as hell didn't with the dishwashers we had then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vandar posted:

'Wash as you go' doesn't really work when you still have food in the pots and pans and you have to wait for everyone to finish eating so you can put up the leftovers first before you can clean. :v:

That's why you tub it up after plating? :confused:

It keeps the food warm and then you only have to put it in the fridge if nobody wants seconds.