Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

for the anime, one of the little details that I notice that I think alot of people don't see.

I think early on, one of his teachers or guidance counelser? comes to watch a match, and they show him in the crowd.

After that, they constantly have him in the crowd in a bunch of ippo's future matches along with the generic mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
He's the guy that gets the crowd going after Umezawa gets all overcome with emotion in the Date fight. It's fr one of my favorite Ippo moments.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Eight-Six posted:

we'll have to wait for the spinoff, Itagakimasu

Itagaki's dad better be the main character of that. It's criminal how long he's been absent from the manga.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Itagaki's dad and Aoki's disciples are both gag characters that showed up a ton then all completely disappeared one day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

yes, but ippo being ippo he basically downplays it entirely, instead just pointing out that they are friends. he also attempts to apologize to mama makunouchi and she does something similar, but sterner. his working at the fishing business is sorta his "first step" into a reformed man, after he's acknowledged his past. then his sorta actualization moment is when he shifts over to being a manga artist

Yeah, that's not surprising, but it doesn't bug me since Umezawa himself still recognizes what he did.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Itagaki's problem is less that he wins by decision and more that he seems to have found his ceiling with his inability to take the Japanese title. Granted, his losses seemed to be less a skill issue and more a tactical and mental one, but we've seen how long it's taken Ippo to start moving past his mental block (and Aokimura have arguably never gotten past theirs0

With Itagaki, it's his immaturity and inability to stop getting in his own way by endlessly loving around (case in point one of his earlier matches where he managed to knock down his opponent hard enough to potentially get a 10-count, and instead of going to a neutral corner so the ref can start his count, he starts running around the ring like an idiot).

He'd grown beyond his first significant obstacle (Imai) but because he's a moron, the same Imai was also the one to gently caress him up and take the Japanese featherweight title because he went into the match assuming it was as good as won, against an opponent that prior to their last encounter, had merked him each and every time.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 10, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, that's not surprising, but it doesn't bug me since Umezawa himself still recognizes what he did.

Yeah, this was key. Umezawa never forgot, and even if it was a single panel here or there the series made sure you knew it was in his head.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ytlaya posted:

One other element to the earlier manga I like is how Umezawa quietly struggles with his guilt over bullying Ippo for a long time. A lesser series would have just brushed that aside.

Edit: IIRC doesn't he finally explicitly apologize at some point?

Yeah it was all kinda bittersweet but ended up pretty good as they grew into a solid friendship.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ippo forgives Umezawa far easier than I did for sure.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, this was key. Umezawa never forgot, and even if it was a single panel here or there the series made sure you knew it was in his head.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

i forgot just how much he changed how Umezawa looked

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

edogawa rando posted:

With Itagaki, it's his immaturity and inability to stop getting in his own way by endlessly loving around (case in point one of his earlier matches where he managed to knock down his opponent hard enough to potentially get a 10-count, and instead of going to a neutral corner so the ref can start his count, he starts running around the ring like an idiot).

He'd grown beyond his first significant obstacle (Imai) but because he's a moron, the same Imai was also the one to gently caress him up and take the Japanese featherweight title because he went into the match assuming it was as good as won, against an opponent that prior to their last encounter, had merked him each and every time.

Imai in their last encounter that Itagaki won by decision had also beaten the poo poo out of Itagaki and was never even knocked down (Imai has the current honour of being the only Boxer currently in story that has never been knocked down)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 11, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still wonder if they'll have Itagaki leave the gym so he can fight Ippo at some point like it was weirdly implied he wanted, but I think that'd be lame honestly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The series will end with the world's first 4-person boxing fight between Martinez, Ippo, Miyata, and Sendo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The manga will end with takamura fighting hanma yujiro

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1432
:iiam:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Lmfao at Ippo building the gunpla. I feel that struggle.
Also LOL NO poo poo IPPO IT'S YOU.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Eyes are the mirror to the soul

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

i'm crylaughing like a punch-drunk idiot because it's COMMITTED TO THE BIT FOR A WHOLE 18 PAGES

never doubt morikawa

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I enjoyed him literally mimicking the guy then wondering who could mimic him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Get into the ring, ippo!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just started this anime last week and so far it’s really entertaining, informative about boxing in a way that keeps me interested, and genuinely inspiring at times.

Great stuff so far. I’m in the middle of Ippo’s rematch with Miyata.

I plan on finishing at least this original run of the anime.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ippo shouldn't be allowed to spar with anyone after what happened with Volg

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
i swear to god, for some reason Morikawa's comedy is some of the only comedy that just consistently murders me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started this anime last week and so far it’s really entertaining, informative about boxing in a way that keeps me interested, and genuinely inspiring at times.

Great stuff so far. I’m in the middle of Ippo’s rematch with Miyata.

I plan on finishing at least this original run of the anime.

It's great. My friend and I got super into weight-lifting after watching it in college lol

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Rubellavator posted:

Ippo shouldn't be allowed to spar with anyone after what happened with Volg

counterpoint: ippo accidentally crushing his opponents in sparring matches is gonna get funnier every time he does it

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How easy is it for him to switch to southpaw though (genuine question, it seems like it's be hard because RBJ being able to switch between orthodox and southpaw seemed like a big deal)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How easy is it for him to switch to southpaw though (genuine question, it seems like it's be hard because RBJ being able to switch between orthodox and southpaw seemed like a big deal)

My impression is that he can do it well enough since early on but for RBJ he was truly ambidextrous so switching stances was a lot more fluid / probably used very often vs something like Ippo or Takamura just using the switch in more strategic moments.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

he's gonna be able to do it because its not "i'm in a match doing it" ippo, its modern "i need to help him out" ippo that's able to study just a video and totally copy and analyze both fighter's style

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hoping ippo tops volg's moment when he started throwing out counterpunchs and volgs is like 'wtf ippo doesn't do this kind of stuff'

have ippo throw a white fang at mashiba or something

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
It'll be fun after Ippo beats the poo poo out of two world champions in higher weight classes than him in sparring and still doesn't think he has what it takes to return to boxing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
it was cool that mori layered in a gag that also showed us ippo's fine motor control is basically back. the ippo that couldn't draw a straight line would never have been able to piece together those robots as well as he did, even if he hosed it up a bit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
An interview https://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/news/202307140000335.html

Morikawa appearntly considers the series halfway done.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Halfway sounds a bit insane, George.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I didn't expect the story to end with Ippo becoming world champ but yeah, only halfway done is pretty loving nuts

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

That just raises the question of, does he mean halfway in terms of chapters or in terms of story beats he wants to hit? If it's chapters I guess we'll see Ippo's proteges make it far enough to start becoming Japan belt challengers and Kimura/Aoki make yet another attempt at their own titles and Ippo's return to the ring will involve challenging the national champs of the Pacific region...again.

If it's story beats it could just be seeing Takamura rush through the weight classes and Ippo finally kissing Kumi.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

This story has been running for BASICALLY YOUR ENTIRE ADULT LIFE TO DATE, MORIKAWA

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
This manga is not getting finished.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Other authors: "Oh, Miura died... Uh... maybe we should get poo poo done?"

Morikawa: "WE GOING FOREVER BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

it just means he's gonna keep writing it till he dies pretty much. Doesn't sound like he has plans to do anything else.

So I guess after he helps Mashiba. He's gonna help Sendo as his sparring partner.

then finally Miyata.