Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah most EX's don't have raidwides that need party mitigation to pass or you wipe, let alone multiple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did one 90 extreme trial and it left me with no desire to ever see "hard" content again. Not everything is for everyone.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MSQ update: I just finished 3.1, and bust out laughing when the 1.0 party was revealed as the Warriors of Darkness... so good.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Retainer question: I have two level 90 retainers, both RDM. I usually just send them on quick explorations to see if they bring me anything neat throughout the day, occasionally will get a really expensive glam item or something and sell it on the MB for a nice chunk of gil. Is there anything better I should using my ventures/retainers on?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can someone explain what happened. I did MSQ quest The Spice of Life and the log says I got Titanium Cuirass of Fending but its not showing in my armory chest. I even tried auto equipping best optimal gear but no use.

Edit: nvm my armory chest was full so it got sent to my inventory

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 23, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

WaltherFeng posted:

Can someone explain what happened. I did MSQ quest The Spice of Life and the log says I got Titanium Cuirass of Fending but its not showing in my armory chest. I even tried auto equipping best optimal gear but no use.

Check your regular inventory

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

reversefungi posted:

Retainer question: I have two level 90 retainers, both RDM. I usually just send them on quick explorations to see if they bring me anything neat throughout the day, occasionally will get a really expensive glam item or something and sell it on the MB for a nice chunk of gil. Is there anything better I should using my ventures/retainers on?

If you send them out on the max level field ex (18 hours), they will have a random chance to bring in a rare minion. These rare minions used to be worth more, but grand company loot boxes reduced this number quite a bit.

A lot of people prefer to have gathering minions because you can send them out constantly to bring in mats to sell on the MB.

e: you can also check and see if various skins or animal parts they can gather are selling for much on the MB and send them out to get those.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 23, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

reversefungi posted:

I don't know of anything particularly worthwhile for combat retainers. Miners and herbalists can usually find some gather that earns >15k/venture, which may be a better use. Long ventures can as mentioned get some minions, but again the ones you can get on combat jobs are cheap and not really worth targeting.

Combat job retainers are less valuable in general: more people have them, and they stuff they can venture for is typically not as useful.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I recommend turning on the option that makes new gear go to your inventory instead of your armoury chest. It makes it much easier to triage gear when the new stuff isn't getting mixed into the old stuff

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

reversefungi posted:

In addition to what posters above mentioned, you can also use https://ffxivteamcraft.com/retainer-ventures to find the most valuable ventures for your given (or planned) retainers.

Personally my combat retainers are all different jobs so I can reuse old gear.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

orcane posted:

In addition to what posters above mentioned, you can also use https://ffxivteamcraft.com/retainer-ventures to find the most valuable ventures for your given (or planned) retainers.

Personally my combat retainers are all different jobs so I can reuse old gear.

This is awesome, thank you!

And yeah, I had no idea what I was doing when leveling up retainers so I picked the one class I had at 90 at the time and made them both RDM. Still don't have any DoL/DoH jobs at 90 but definitely will plan to switch at some point. The prospect of getting a retainer up to 90 again though is a little daunting, felt like it took forever

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I send all mine out on quick expeditions in the hope of that sweet sweet valuable dye. I never get it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

reversefungi posted:

This is awesome, thank you!

And yeah, I had no idea what I was doing when leveling up retainers so I picked the one class I had at 90 at the time and made them both RDM. Still don't have any DoL/DoH jobs at 90 but definitely will plan to switch at some point. The prospect of getting a retainer up to 90 again though is a little daunting, felt like it took forever
I think the retainer skip-to-80 books are on sale too atm :v:

But yeah it makes sense to just use your first max. level jobs in the beginning, I also reset several of my retainers as I finally got my gatherers up back in the day, although the level cap was lower ie. less daunting.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like having a combat retainer just to passively farm mob-drop materials, since I find farming for hides more frustrating and tedious than regular gathering-mat farms, but that really comes down to personal preference. I've been considering buying more retainers just to get a miner and botanist on my main, since my current setup is combat and Fisher. (The latter was not an objectively good decision, but I wanted a Fat Cat as soon as I could get one, and the rare Fisher minion drops still sell well.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve been debating buying another retainer myself since I have a Botanist and Combat retainer on my main.

But then I remember that’s a monthly fee and get cold feet.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

in the future, use /isearch to help you find stuff, eg “/isearch titanium” would’ve brought it up as a suggestion for you to right-click and it woulda told you where in your inventory it was

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i finally found my freebie fantasia (dumped in a choco bag) and excitedly crowed about that in a friend chat and they were all "you know about /isearch right"

i felt so dumb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jonny 290 posted:

i finally found my freebie fantasia (dumped in a choco bag) and excitedly crowed about that in a friend chat and they were all "you know about /isearch right"

i felt so dumb

Never feel bad about not knowing something in this game, there's a lot of little tweaks and tools and they don't communicate any of them.

Personally I'm annoyed command syntax has to be looked up through the macros menu. It makes sense since that's where you use most of them, but /help [command] seems like an obvious option.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It occurs to me that I've finished Endwalker and never bothered to do the chocobo companion quest.

Probably ought to do that for the extra inventory slots since my armoury chest is constantly overflowing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Your chocobro is also super helpful in all overworld content.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
level 10 choco slaps pretty decent and will keep a little regen on your idiot rear end. Strongly recommended. it's at least as much damage as a dot ticking

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

level 10 choco slaps pretty decent and will keep a little regen on your idiot rear end. Strongly recommended. it's at least as much damage as a dot ticking

Level your bird with onions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jonny 290 posted:

You can go to level 20. Once you hit 10 and every subsequent level after, give your bird a thavnarian onion to break the level cap. At level 20 you can have all three specs fully capped.

If you’re in a goon FC there are probably available onions in the FC chest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Onions are like the only thing it's worthwhile to grow on some servers, the gardening market is that cutthroat.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Level your bird with onions.

thats too much money

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

aegof posted:

thats too much money

Or in my case:

"help me with my budget my bird is dying"
"spend less on glams"
"no"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is a LOT of money for me right now but i will keep an eye on them and squeeze one in here and there as i can. ty

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You only need one when you've capped experience so pretty rarely unless you're a hardcore 'bo leveling master. I've been able to get by off the free ones you get from quests so far because I rarely use my chocobo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the 10->20 Chocobo leveling curve is slow enough that it'll be weeks between onions even if you're running lots of FATEs with your 'bo, and there are two free onions available from quest lines (one from a quick one in Ishgard, and one from the capstone of the Tailfeather side quests), so that can last you a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, check in your goon FC as there may be free onions available. That's one of the perks to playing with goons.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Cool, i will get started on the journey to swole chocobo then! ty

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Make sure you are also using the FC stables to feed your bird when you're not online, and also feed other people's birds too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That's one thing I do miss about being in the goon FC, having full access to kitted out houses. My current FC is my IRL friends group and we've been trying to grab a medium plot of Behemoth for months now even with multiple bids per plot at times :smith:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For people in PBC, the last time I checked we had 70+ onions stashed. Just ask and receive free onions. For feeding the birds you don't even have to ask anyone, food and brooms (to clean the stables if they're not sparkling - clean stables give more bird XP) are freely available in the first FC chest tab.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orcane posted:

For people in PBC, the last time I checked we had 70+ onions stashed. Just ask and receive free onions. For feeding the birds you don't even have to ask anyone, food and brooms (to clean the stables if they're not sparkling - clean stables give more bird XP) are freely available in the first FC chest tab.

I think this is the case in all goon FCs, and I'd be shocked if it isn't. If you're not playing with goons, I hope you have a good reason!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What if my close friends are not goons so instead I’m in a friend FC consisting of three (3) people.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Or I'm in a dead (currently) founded by an old friend from my FFXI days and has a couple other old friends still as members. They'd probably be proud of me for finally catching up with endgame content.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I just joined the FC my spouse is in, which is all nice people but mostly not goons AFAIK

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hopeandjoy posted:

What if my close friends are not goons so instead I’m in a friend FC consisting of three (3) people.

Either you cozy up to some in-game goons and ask for onions or you start fundraising for a small house and grow your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Please just make sure that when you use your first onion you're with people you trust, and drink plenty of water.