Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

this is some reddit fanfic grade naming convention poo poo lmao when the gently caress did this all happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Base_Delta_1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50th_Space_Wing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituffik_Space_Base

At least the trekkies will stop joining the navy now, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Hmm, what if someone just put all of a helicopter's weapons up on a huge construction crane? They can go up 1000 ft and hold 720 tons, probably a lot cheaper than a helicopter too.
Possibly not as mobile.
Hell, you could put 70 or 80 howitzers on one of those bad boys but I could see the firing of those being a problem for the crane staying upright

Slavvy posted:

Recoilless rifle gantry

Would it shock you to learn that cold war wunderwaffen designers already tried this

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
there was a west german experimental TOW launcher that had the missile on a big arm it could elevate like 30 feet to shoot over hills but i cant remember the name of it nor find any photographic proof of its existence, but it was definitely real and is probably in the german tank museum storage garage

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Would it shock you to learn that cold war wunderwaffen designers already tried this

so it's a 75 mm autocannon for taking out apcs/ifvs? that seems pretty useless. I guess it's just for colonial type wars against tankless people

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

it's pretty neat in war thunder when you can find a good piece of cover to hide behind

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

it's pretty neat in war thunder when you can find a good piece of cover to hide behind

Nah he's talking about this thing

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

The Oldest Man posted:

thank you, elevating masts are really cool and stupid. best fad of the 80s

proposed british TRIGAT-LR carrier based on the challenger-1 with an autocannon also in the boom, no idea if the back bit is just extra missile storage or a bonus anti tank mlrs

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IndianExpress/status/1289558258500243456

combat proven is when the french jet bomb brown people with aks and sandals

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Danann posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

Malleum posted:

thank you, elevating masts are really cool and stupid. best fad of the 80s

proposed british TRIGAT-LR carrier based on the challenger-1 with an autocannon also in the boom, no idea if the back bit is just extra missile storage or a bonus anti tank mlrs

These are all marvellously stupid :allears:

Imagine being some Soviet designer working on the latest t72 update or whatever and army intelligence puts these photos on your desk

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Hmm.. powerful weapons... that are effective against advancing troops... but themselves are not capable of advancing into an intact defense without immediately being destroyed...

adding a coaxial machine gun gives it a lot more life

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So it looks a Navy ship only slightly ran itself aground this month

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/08/22/uss-howard-sustained-soft-grounding-near-bali-ahead-of-port-visit/

And just lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope construction goes as smoothly as ever

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Virginia tang, eh

I also like how the Howard had a soft grounding as if that makes it less incompetent

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Warhammer 40K just ripped off 100% of the cold war designs huh?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

oh, so that's why the usual suspects kramered into discord yesterday to post completely unverified and unsourced claims about the pla losing an attack sub in the taiwan strait

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

how come I can't get no tang round here?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oneiros posted:

oh, so that's why the usual suspects kramered into discord yesterday to post completely unverified and unsourced claims about the pla losing an attack sub in the taiwan strait

Lolnatbdoign that tona loving discord instead of coming here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Lolnatbdoign that tona loving discord instead of coming here

Just read over them before hitting post, it's not hard goddamn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

*extremely Jeb voice*

UNLEASH TANG!!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm sure you guys are aware the USS Tang sank itself right? Circular run torpedo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At least it's not the USS Wahoo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

*extremely Jeb voice*

UNLEASH TANG!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure you guys are aware the USS Tang sank itself right? Circular run torpedo.

Are you telling me the tang swallowed it's own torpedo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that's what you get for loving around with gyroscopes

just shoot the fish straight and get better at trigonometry!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's what you get for loving around with gyroscopes

just shoot the fish straight and get better at trigonometry!

i was promised if i paid 100x as much per torpedo, they were guaranteed to always hit something :colbert:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Warhammer 40K just ripped off 100% of the cold war designs huh?

Yeah I'm just going "that's a rhino, that's the whirlwind turret that forge world sold when I was in college..."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

i was promised if i paid 100x as much per torpedo, they were guaranteed to always hit something :colbert:

And the industry delivered :patriot:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm relistening to season one of Blowback in anticipation of the new season Friday and they mention the infamous Millennium Challenge 2002 war games. And even if Rippee cheated, everything else about that really was a sign we would lose World War III back than at the height of our military power

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

So I'm relistening to season one of Blowback in anticipation of the new season Friday and they mention the infamous Millennium Challenge 2002 war games. And even if Rippee cheated, everything else about that really was a sign we would lose World War III back than at the height of our military power

didnt a chinese sub surfaced in the middle of an american fleet exercise after being completely undetected underwater around that time period lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Palladium posted:

didnt a chinese sub surfaced in the middle of an american fleet exercise after being completely undetected underwater around that time period lol

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-trending/a-chinese-diesel-submarine-surfaced-in-the-middle-of-a-us-carrier-group/

quote:

There’s a lot about the Song-class Chinese submarine that’s special. It was the first submarine developed entirely by the People’s Republic of China and the first to use the modern teardrop hull shape. It’s also the only Chinese submarine ever to pop up in the middle of an American aircraft carrier group.
In November of 2006, one of China’s Song-class diesel electric submarines surfaced just five miles away from the USS Kitty Hawk off the coast of Okinawa. At the time, the carrier group was in a protective formation, using anti-submarine defenses and aircraft. The appearance of a Chinese submarine no doubt surprised everyone in the fleet.
The surprise was not just because the submarine surfaced so close to the Kitty Hawk. No one knows exactly how long the submarine had been there, how long it had tailed the fleet, or even why it decided to pop up above the surface.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA575866.pdf

quote:

Carrier strike groups are expensive to buy and to operate. Factoring in the total life-cycle costs of an associated carrier air wing, five surface com- batants and one fast-attack submarine, plus the nearly 6,700 men and women to crew them, it costs about $6.5 million per day to operate each strike group.
carrier strike groups are a loving scam

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
*angrily gesticulates towards thread title*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if they did know how long the sub was trailing them it's not exactly like they'd tell the media.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

carrier strike groups are a loving scam

there were stupidly good in the short time between planes outranging the biggest battleships and cruise missiles appearing, but usa has yet to go against a state with the latter so they'll keep using them until they run out of paint money

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

there were stupidly good in the short time between planes outranging the biggest battleships and cruise missiles appearing, but usa has yet to go against a state with the latter so they'll keep using them until they run out of paint money

"lmao at those stupid ukies running into minefields laid by cavemen orcs, unlike we clever people who won't in the pacifi-"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

"lmao at those stupid ukies running into minefields laid by cavemen orcs, unlike we clever people who won't in the pacifi-"

Get ready for a lot of complaining about

:qq: anti :qq:
:qq: access :qq:
:qq: warfare :qq:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Get ready for a lot of complaining about

:qq: anti :qq:
:qq: access :qq:
:qq: warfare :qq:

I've mentioned this, maybe in the Ukraine thread, but pretty much all discussion this whole concept abruptly ceased when the sabre rattling over Taiwan started up. Similarly, mention of China's anti-carrier ballistic missiles disappeared too, even as they've gotten longer ranged, more capable and more numerous.

To borrow from the current standard text on naval operations, it's an unsolved problem, and as that's very inconvenient, the solution appears to be to pretend it doesn't exist.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

I've mentioned this, maybe in the Ukraine thread, but pretty much all discussion this whole concept abruptly ceased when the sabre rattling over Taiwan started up. Similarly, mention of China's anti-carrier ballistic missiles disappeared too, even as they've gotten longer ranged, more capable and more numerous.

To borrow from the current standard text on naval operations, it's an unsolved problem, and as that's very inconvenient, the solution appears to be to pretend it doesn't exist.

And the only reason the USN bitches about their lack of modern minesweepers is for more new operational grift capabilities

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, like, they loving had it. That was one of the many, many things LCS was promised to do.

The Navy is also supposed to retire the RH-53D that are used for aerial sweeping, but the promised, I guess RV-22 (?) has not materialized.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Aug 24, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

More evidence they can't let the Taiwanese know they have severe disadvantage in the Taiwan theater, right now the priority is say whatever the Taiwanese like to hear and get them to buy land mines and sea mines laying machines, essentially suicide vest type weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

To quote my favourite TISM song:

There's a freight train coming
Loaded with anxiety
You're tied to the tracks, don't worry
(Denial works for me)