Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's unreal that both those films had the same writer. It makes me wonder what was going on behind the scenes because it seems pretty clear in retrospect that Villeneuve is the only reason the first one turned out the way it
did.
I'm genuinely surprised to see the first only has one writer. I figured Villeneuve or one of his guys (does Villeneuve have 'guys'? a lot of directors do) rewrote it. The usual formula for that story (military special forces vs. cartels) is that the ops are going well until government loses its nerve and cancels the operation. The hard men making hard decisions could have succeeded. Think the Clear and Present Danger book rather than film or the Cobra by Frederick Forsyth. The horror of Sicario is that the op succeeds, no one in the government loses their nerve or has any problem with what's going on. The op is horrifying, and it's not even intended to do any real good, just get the drug war back to a manageable state. It's that old saying: The only thing worse than not getting what you want is getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's unreal that both those films had the same writer. It makes me wonder what was going on behind the scenes because it seems pretty clear in retrospect that Villeneuve is the only reason the first one turned out the way it did.

If the cursory information about the movie's production on Wikipedia is accurate, it seems that the studio commissioned a sequel about Benicio del Toro's character after the first movie performed well, with Villeneuve & Blunt on board to return. Then for some reason people started dropping out of this studio-mandated sequel (which Sheridan calls a "stand-alone spin-off" and not a true sequel), and Villeneuve was replaced by an Italian TV director who had never directed a movie in English before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm genuinely surprised to see the first only has one writer. I figured Villeneuve or one of his guys (does Villeneuve have 'guys'? a lot of directors do) rewrote it. The usual formula for that story (military special forces vs. cartels) is that the ops are going well until government loses its nerve and cancels the operation. The hard men making hard decisions could have succeeded. Think the Clear and Present Danger book rather than film or the Cobra by Frederick Forsyth. The horror of Sicario is that the op succeeds, no one in the government loses their nerve or has any problem with what's going on. The op is horrifying, and it's not even intended to do any real good, just get the drug war back to a manageable state. It's that old saying: The only thing worse than not getting what you want is getting it.

According to a quick google, directors can't claim a writing credit unless there are no other writers in the production. It definitely seems likely Villeneuve had a strong hand over the writing over the first one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was the other writer active in the sequel or is he credited just from being involved in the first?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

According to a quick google, directors can't claim a writing credit unless there are no other writers in the production. It definitely seems likely Villeneuve had a strong hand over the writing over the first one.

The WGA rules are that while someone who’s just credited as a writer gets credit if they’ve written 33% or more of the “final script”, but directors need 55% or more and producers need 65% or more, presumably on the logic that they’re getting a bigger chunk of residuals anyway and they don’t need to horn in on our cut.

So yeah if a director’s not credited as a writer they still can have written quite a bit of it. And yeah often times if a director is there from early on the writer(s) will be taking them into consideration, like Evan Hunter wrote for Hitchcock and was very clear that Hitch was part of the writing process.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

They also took Brolin's flip flops away.

Sicario 2 fuckin' sucked. It was the movie the first one was making fun of, but completely earnest.

When I saw that a sequel existed and what it looked like I was blown away. It made no sense at all!!! I'm going to watch some of the press interviews around 2 might actually be quite interesting

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

distortion park posted:

When I saw that a sequel existed and what it looked like I was blown away. It made no sense at all!!! I'm going to watch some of the press interviews around 2 might actually be quite interesting

I can only assume they had hoped that Sicario 2 would be the Rambo to Sicario 1's Rambo: First Blood.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alan Smithee posted:

Gal Gadot Cleopatra vs Jada Pinkett Cleopatra in the Hellenistic Cinematic Universe

I'm tired of people being totemic about Ptolemaics.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
since we're on Sicario, part of the difference may very well lie in the execution. The tunnel sequence near the end, as it is exists, is about incomprehension. Blunt's character is completely out of her depth and is groping in the darkness. Because metaphors are difficult, the scene is in the dark. We can only see anything via night vision, muzzle flashes and a few small lamps. There's a gunfight happening, but we see very little of it and the camera isn't interested in it. We just see soldiers firing off down corridors. We don't see who they're aiming at or whether they hit anything (because the film's point is that it sort of doesn't matter if they do) and finally she emerges into light and discovers the titular character. And, while this answers some of her questions, there are many others it does not. It's a scene about how someone can only see a tiny part of the puzzle, and that's all in the execution.

If you strip back the choices Villeneuve and Deakins made and just focus on the plot events or stage directions as they would be present in the script, you can boil it down to "some special forces guys get in a gunfight to insert their asset." Working off the exact same script that Villeneuve did, you could just get a straightforward action scene. I have to think that might have been what Sheridan was imagining when he wrote it.

Similarly, the scene in the sequel where Brolin and his guys just (spoilered in case anyone wants to watch this terrible film) slaughter a bunch of surrendered cartel guys could have been very different. A better or more considered director could have made it a memorable scene. A nihilistic capstone to a failed mission. You could depict it as a scene of dispassionate violence, just clerks closing a particular account. It could be something the operators enjoy, a release of finally having something to shoot at. It could be blend or some other idea. Instead, it's a scene of righteous retribution. All the guys who shot our child kidnapping anti-hero getting their compeuppance. Don't worry, the one mildly ambiguous character already left, but we'll undo that scene in a coda.

Sicario may be proof that you can make a good film out of a bad script, based on what the same writer did with more control.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The number 3 movie Monday and Tuesday was Coraline thanks to Fanthom events, it made enough money they are adding more screenings later this month

https://www.animationmagazine.net/2023/08/dates-added-for-coraline-5m-theatrical-return/

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

I can only assume they had hoped that Sicario 2 would be the Rambo to Sicario 1's Rambo: First Blood.

Rambo is the 4th movie, and Rambo: First Blood isn't the name of any of the movies. You might be thinking "Rambo: First Blood Part 2" and "First Blood" respectively.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

🤓🏹

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Rambo is the 4th movie, and Rambo: First Blood isn't the name of any of the movies. You might be thinking "Rambo: First Blood Part 2" and "First Blood" respectively.

I still can't believe they didn't call the fourth one FIRST BLOOD: Rambo Part II to bring it all the way around. But at least they never made a fifth one, that would probably suck with how Stallone is now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe they didn't call the fourth one FIRST BLOOD: Rambo Part II to bring it all the way around. But at least they never made a fifth one, that would probably suck with how Stallone is now.

7m27s the soundtrack give it a few seconds lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJYpMESr74

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tired: this film is dedicated...
wired: THE STORY OF ME MUST BE TOLD I AM RAMBO YOU WILL BEHOLD

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mortal Kombat 11 of all things actually gave a proper conclusion to Rambo's story. He received the power over time and tried to make history better but realised that there's too many consequences beyond his control, so in the end he just settled down in a quiet cabin in the mountains.

Come to think of it, Terminator also had a good ending in that game. The Terminator tried to make it so that Skynet wins but every time it tries either Skynet loses or both it and humans destroy each other. So it logically concluded that it should make world where humans and AI coexist peacefully. Then to protect the world from obtaining its powers, the Terminator threw itself into Outworld's bottomless Sea of Blood.

Edit:
I have to mention Jax's ending where he ended slavery forever.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 17, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I once heard a possibly apocryphal story that Rambo's name/title comes from the Japanese word 乱暴 (ranbou) meaning violence.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Neo Rasa posted:

Hate to be the bearer of Bad News but just in case it’s not a :thejoke: situation ….

Rambo: Last Blood - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo:_Last_Blood

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

The Great Burrito posted:

Hate to be the bearer of Bad News but just in case it’s not a :thejoke: situation ….

Rambo: Last Blood - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo:_Last_Blood

It's very rude to Rick Roll people with a Rambo movie that doesn't exist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

I once heard a possibly apocryphal story that Rambo's name/title comes from the Japanese word 乱暴 (ranbou) meaning violence.

No, I read recently where it came from but forget, but it was something simpler than that. “Saw a name, liked it” kind of stuff.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The MSJ posted:

Mortal Kombat 11 of all things actually gave a proper conclusion to Rambo's story. He received the power over time and tried to make history better but realised that there's too many consequences beyond his control, so in the end he just settled down in a quiet cabin in the mountains.

Come to think of it, Terminator also had a good ending in that game. The Terminator tried to make it so that Skynet wins but every time it tries either Skynet loses or both it and humans destroy each other. So it logically concluded that it should make world where humans and AI coexist peacefully. Then to protect the world from obtaining its powers, the Terminator threw itself into Outworld's bottomless Sea of Blood.

Edit:
I have to mention Jax's ending where he ended slavery forever.

This is the only Mortal Kombat ending that matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUvrr8ajkE

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjMwSTeVeo

They're doing IMAX screenings starting Sept. 11 and then Sept. 29 elsewhere. Check your local listings.

I can't loving wait.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

No, I read recently where it came from but forget, but it was something simpler than that. “Saw a name, liked it” kind of stuff.

I choose to believe it's after the gay French poet Rimbaud, pronounced the same

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Professor Shark posted:

This dumb story has taken up brain space in my head for like about 23 years at this point so I'm kinda glad to be able to let go of it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It really does. Aside from being creatively bankrupt, deeply uninteresting, cynical and deeply racist, it's also just really boring for 90% of its length and the finale isn't nearly good enough to overcome the rest of it. It's like someone saw Sicario 2 and decided that was too politically nuanced.

hallo spacedog posted:

Nah he's named after an apple. Source: An interview with the book's author on one of the surprisingly good DVD packages the first three got around 2005.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah he's named after an apple. Source: An interview with the book's author on one of the surprisingly good DVD packages the first three got around 2005.

I wonder if that story was partially inspired by how a lot of Asian Rambo-inspired video games/movies/etc. from the time have really simple names along those lines in Asian regions like just FURY, BLOODY JUNGLE, BATTLEFIELD, WARGOD, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's just Wikipedia but for whatever it's worth it just seems the author had many Vietnam war veteran students and was also fond of a 1930s pulp novel with a somewhat similar narrative arc. While he was trying to name the protagonist, his wife brought home the groceries, including some Rambo apples.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Alternate Granny Smith timeline.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Red Delicious First Blood

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Alternate Granny Smith timeline.

Fuji was a smash hit in Japan.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Zach Snyder did two not-Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHLOXbFZtI

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Actually lost track with the amount of genres and movies being ripped off in that trailer

I'll still watch that garbage

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol how many hundreds of millions did netflix waste on that junk.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Actually lost track with the amount of genres and movies being ripped off in that trailer

I'll still watch that garbage

Username+post combo of the year

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He shoulda just called it Snyder Wars

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Yeah, the not-lightsabers are a bit much, but the overall level of cheesiness and throwing poo poo at the wall is flashing me back to Chronicles of Riddick. I've always been sad that one only got what was apparently a Pitch Black remake as a sequel, not a full-scale followup.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zach Snyder presents: Jupiter Ascending But Without Any Whimsy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What if we made a space fantasy film but the good guys were also fascists!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

istewart posted:

Yeah, the not-lightsabers are a bit much, but the overall level of cheesiness and throwing poo poo at the wall is flashing me back to Chronicles of Riddick. I've always been sad that one only got what was apparently a Pitch Black remake as a sequel, not a full-scale followup.
Chronicles of Riddick was a giant flop, so the only reason we got the Riddick movie after that was because of Vin Diesel, and it was on a much smaller budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

dr_rat posted:

What if we made a space fantasy film but the good guys were also fascists!

You're just making things up to be mad about now.