Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

And gosh, no amount of sitting her down and explaining why it was dangerous would make her stop.
Who suggested it would? You seem to be reacting to my post, but that's absolutely nothing like what I said at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

i mean you're not wrong but i have to admit that i personally have way less willpower and persistence than a cat w/r/t "the cat is making annoying noises" lol. i am a weak man

psa: if a store closes at 8 you need, on a moral level, to be the gently caress done with your shopping and out of there at 8. if it is an actual emergency of some kind maybe you can have some leeway but way way too many people genuinely believe "if you're already in the store when they close you can just take your time and finish shopping." yes, you've been told this by the employees, and the employees are forced to tell you this by the powers of corporate but it's a loving lie. the people who work at the store have a bunch of cleaning and poo poo they still need to do, at least some of which cannot be done until after you get the gently caress out, and every minute you're in there finishing up your shopping at a leisurely pace while having text convos on your phone and deliberating between jalapeno gouda and habanero havarti is a minute the real human people who work there are being prevented from living their goddamn lives. plus they'll probably get in trouble for taking too long to clean up and leave, even though it was directly because of you, and even though they're directly prevented from saying anything to make you loving leave. just get the hell out. if the store is closed don't fuckin be there.

special place in hell for people who stand outside a store that has locked doors, wait for someone else to leave, sneak the gently caress in through the doors when they open to let that person exit, and then blithely claim "the doors weren't locked" and sail into the store to do their goddamn shopping. happens once or twice a month which isn't a whole lot but is also way more than it should be (not the same person either!)

edit: of course even if corporate wasn't gonna reprimand me for politely telling somebody we're already closed and they need to leave, i would still be unable to do it since i already admitted i can't say no to a cat, which is a peeve about myself
Same for restaurants. People think if they got their asses in seats ten minutes before close they can chill for an hour even when the whole drat staff is quietly watching them

If they’re nice. The assholes will be angry we aren’t making more food past their initial order and screw the server on tips. I don’t know how lifelong chefs do it: gently caress that industry

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Aug 19, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is this dude who is like always at the public pool swimming laps.

As a dumb goon I am mostly annoyed by his constantly passing back and forth in my vision.

But also he’s really inconsiderate. Like will just plow into little kids in floaties and swim on at a pool that’s everyone-but-him kids and families trying to cool off in hell summer.

My dude you ain’t Michael Phelps, you’re a lobster shaded middle aged guy, and besides me and you both are better off if you spring the five bucks for a membership at the Y

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: when you want to dump in peace but a herd of cats fascinatedly follow

I read somewhere this is because they think you're vulnerable while on the toilet and are watching your back. I'm sure it's just a myth but I like to think he's keeping me safe from predators (at least in his mind) :3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"All predators, save one." the cat thinks, pointedly.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Spalec posted:

I read somewhere this is because they think you're vulnerable while on the toilet and are watching your back. I'm sure it's just a myth but I like to think he's keeping me safe from predators (at least in his mind) :3:

My little dingus just likes to watch it flush because he’s a gross little weirdo

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Put dried chickpeas in the Instant Pot, add water until they are completely covered (up to a 1/2 over if you want). Pressure cook for 55 minutes. Drain and then use the chickpeas in whatever recipe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Picturing a Ratatouille situation but it’s a blaziken doing martial arts moves under the hat and it brings me joy

You got this

I tried the chana masala again, this time by "soaking" it for 55 minutes in the dang pressure cooker.

Made a double batch so I could use up the rest of the onion mixture and "chana masala powder" I got from the Indian grocer.

This time, my chana has properly masala'd! Thanks for the help, both of you! Tonight, dinner shall taste like victory!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chana Masala owns bones.

Helps that it can be cheap as poo poo.

And of course any Indian dish is only as good as the Naan you serve it with

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Probably against city bylaws to put a proper tandoor in the yard, right?

Edit: of course this is a solved problem
https://www.puritandoors.ca/ss1-ultima-large-home-tandoori-clay-oven-1.html

Antioch has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Aug 21, 2023

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tiggum posted:

So close the door?

To literally every complaint about a cat getting in your way or doing something you don't like: Make it stop. You are bigger and stronger and can operate doors. The cat has no choice but to respect your boundaries because you have the power to enforce them.

And yeah, if they're used to getting to do whatever they want they will make their displeasure about new restrictions clear. But you don't have to give in to them. If the cat scratches at the door or makes noise or whatever, ignore it. It will learn that its actions aren't working and stop trying. The only way for you to lose to a cat is to give up.

Cats give you a brain parasite that convinces you they can't be trained, so people don't train their cats even though it's perfectly doable.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Spalec posted:

One of ours just wants to constantly be with whichever human is available, and the other runs in to sneak behind the laundry machines (no idea why, must be some pretty cool stuff back there)

Content: how are there STILL people who cough without covering their mouth? It's loving gross, knock it off (there's a dude who lives in one of the buildings near me, and he has the grossest, wettest cough and I've literally never seen him cover his mouth)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pomme de Terror posted:

One of ours just wants to constantly be with whichever human is available, and the other runs in to sneak behind the laundry machines (no idea why, must be some pretty cool stuff back there)

Content: how are there STILL people who cough without covering their mouth? It's loving gross, knock it off (there's a dude who lives in one of the buildings near me, and he has the grossest, wettest cough and I've literally never seen him cover his mouth)

I’ve had multiple airport/plane experiences recently with people hacking all over the place and then making jokes about having COVID or saying “don’t worry, it’s not COVID.” It was not acceptable to just do that before the pandemic either you loving animals!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’ve had multiple airport/plane experiences recently with people hacking all over the place and then making jokes about having COVID or saying “don’t worry, it’s not COVID.” It was not acceptable to just do that before the pandemic either you loving animals!

My whole family works in airports and planes, AMA about what happens when you say “sir the chin only wear does not constitute masking according to airline and CDC policy” and “the constitution does not guarantee your right to cough in my eyes, madam”

Jk don’t ask me, the answer is you get multiple covid bouts during pregnancy and cancer and the CDC cancelled all the rules anyway :patriot:

E: As A Gamer, I’m annoyed when people defend rapidly rising prices with “it’s x dollars per hour of entertainment”

Yes true, but here’s thing, quality of hours matter too. That 25 bucks to get me a couple new characters or whatever could buy us a food truck feast and a sunset over the river, or maybe two hours at the aquarium taking photos of my kids being fascinated at all the incredible sea creatures. That’s worth more than the 20 hours a new dlc will bring me.

And yes I get that devs and artists deserve their fair share but lmao no it is not the consumer end price that is preventing studios from treating them fairly

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Aug 21, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Yeah but like, Vampire Survivors was a dollar and it's provided me with more dopamine-hits-per-hour than almost any other game released in the last decade.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My whole family works in airports and planes, AMA about what happens when you say “sir the chin only wear does not constitute masking according to airline and CDC policy” and “the constitution does not guarantee your right to cough in my eyes, madam”

Jk don’t ask me, the answer is you get multiple covid bouts during pregnancy and cancer and the CDC cancelled all the rules anyway :patriot:

E: As A Gamer, I’m annoyed when people defend rapidly rising prices with “it’s x dollars per hour of entertainment”

Yes true, but here’s thing, quality of hours matter too. That 25 bucks to get me a couple new characters or whatever could buy us a food truck feast and a sunset over the river, or maybe two hours at the aquarium taking photos of my kids being fascinated at all the incredible sea creatures. That’s worth more than the 20 hours a new dlc will bring me.

And yes I get that devs and artists deserve their fair share but lmao no it is not the consumer end price that is preventing studios from treating them fairly

I’ll smash buy that bikini DLC for 30$ till the day I die. The most quality of purchases.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crespolini posted:

Cats give you a brain parasite that convinces you they can't be trained, so people don't train their cats even though it's perfectly doable.

My cats do not wake me up to be fed in the morning. They have learned to wait until I get up to start asking. Both of my cats must sit before they get wet food and now do it without prompting. My older cat asks for attention my gently tapping you with her paw. All of this has happened due to training. You can absolutely train any animal, people are just lazy.

Peeve: People with badly trained/untrained dogs. Dogs are so incredibly easy to train. Why anyone that owns a dog wouldn't train it is beyond me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

Yeah but like, Vampire Survivors was a dollar and it's provided me with more dopamine-hits-per-hour than almost any other game released in the last decade.
Disfigure hits the same vibe with admittedly less graphical variation and is completely free!

You'll probably feel like it'll take too long to unlock more weapons for the first run or three, but once you start getting how the powerups work together you'll be hitting 30+ in no time. I've only got 4 or so 20+ runs under my belt because I've barely played it and that's enough to unlock four or so weapons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know how anyone manages to get photos of their pets (or other animals they see) doing cute or funny things. Any time I've ever tried, the few seconds it takes me to pick up my phone and open the camera is all it takes for the animal to move or stop doing whatever they were doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how anyone manages to get photos of their pets (or other animals they see) doing cute or funny things. Any time I've ever tried, the few seconds it takes me to pick up my phone and open the camera is all it takes for the animal to move or stop doing whatever they were doing.

It’s so simple

(not my pet but roommates)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Get the labrador+cats combo and it is literally impossible for something funny to not be happening

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Crespolini posted:

Cats can also operate doors. Mine is dumb as poo poo, but just let's herself get about as she pleases by jumping on the handles and pulling them down.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Get guinea pigs, they’re always either sleeping or begging for their third dinner, either way they’re usually doing something cute.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Disco Pope posted:

Cats can also operate doors. Mine is dumb as poo poo, but just let's herself get about as she pleases by jumping on the handles and pulling them down.

Also this. They also know sliding closet doors so my family is starving as the lint roller budget skyrockets

It is kinda sweet that a favourite napping spot is nesting in our clothes tho :3

E: people talking about the Ukraine war and insisting on using some dumbass trumpian nickname instead of saying Russia. Worst of all faux cyrillic PUCCIA type poo poo

Bare minimum at least finish your faux cyrillic and go POCCNR what is that puccia poo poo supposed to be

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Aug 22, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

God, why are so many of these new hires so weirdly noisy?

A new guy joined our team a few weeks ago.
He'll go grab a cup of cocoa, come back winded: Start inhaling, sluuuuuuuuurrp, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
And he'll do the entire thing in one session, without pause. (Why not let it sit for a while if it's so hot you're slurping at it like a toddler?)

He went through 3 cups while I was in the office after lunch, yesterday. (Guy, you're going to put on a ton of weight if you're drinking over a liter of hot cocoa a day.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SubNat posted:

God, why are so many of these new hires so weirdly noisy?

A new guy joined our team a few weeks ago.
He'll go grab a cup of cocoa, come back winded: Start inhaling, sluuuuuuuuurrp, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
And he'll do the entire thing in one session, without pause. (Why not let it sit for a while if it's so hot you're slurping at it like a toddler?)

He went through 3 cups while I was in the office after lunch, yesterday. (Guy, you're going to put on a ton of weight if you're drinking over a liter of hot cocoa a day.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pm_SEHrt_c

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I authorize homicide

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
God my mom visited and like she can’t get her poo poo straight that I’m not 11

Brought up like four times that having the tarantula terrarium in the living room might drive away visitors(don’t want those visitors) and finally carried it to the bedroom

Rearranged the fridge including the loving levels of the changeable shelves

We had started washing and collecting used coffee cans and making a little pyramid as decoration-thrown in the dumpster

Bought a new comforter and replaced the old one (not very old) on our bed

Like Jesus Christ maman I appreciate the attempt but you cannot do poo poo like this. This is not your apartment.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rearranged the fridge including the loving levels of the changeable shelves

This is insane. Also, I kind of want to do it to one of my siblings now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Mom, why won't the milk fit on the shelf?"
"It's the wrong size. You should buy my brand."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ONE MORE MOM PEEVE: we speak english french russian and kazakh in an eclectic mix for no real reason, te just whatever comes out. and my mom assumes every time we say anything in the latter two it’s some insult. She thinks my wife hates her when it’s like she said she was going to the bathroom before leaving and do I want blackened or fried tonight cuz she wants to hit up the poboy shop.

Just chill. The only time we use russian and kazakh to insult people is when they’re being annoying at the grocery store

E: also does anyone actually like artificial lawn landscaping nearly enough to tolerate the endless drone of diesel power tools

Let the weeds grow

Shut up

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Aug 23, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat, the concept of insulting people at the grocery store in Kazakh almost makes me want to reinstall Duolingo, except 1) none of my friends know how to speak Kazakh so it wouldn't even matter, and 2) Duolingo doesn't offer Kazakh anyway. Still, that sounds cool though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat, the concept of insulting people at the grocery store in Kazakh almost makes me want to reinstall Duolingo, except 1) none of my friends know how to speak Kazakh so it wouldn't even matter, and 2) Duolingo doesn't offer Kazakh anyway. Still, that sounds cool though.

Actually that reminds me of another peeve which is when people go the other tak and act like I’m a linguistic genius when like no I grew up franglais and you pick up other languages fast when people use them at you. I’m stupid as gently caress, you could do it to in my shoes.

Blyat, oy sheshesin segey!

There’s a fun swear to say when people block the aisle contemplating different brands of beans or whatever.

You can also just go OY SHYE which is amusingly similar to OH poo poo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unnecessary censorship in music. A few examples:

"Money it's a hit/don't give me that do goody good [censored]"
"And are you thinking of me when you [censored] her?"
"It's a [censored] girl, but it's gone too far/'cause you know it don't matter anyway..."

Look, I'm 39 years old. I'm very familiar with the words 'bullshit', 'gently caress' and 'bitch' and use them regularly. Stop trying to be my nanny and stop censoring the lyrics. What underage kid is listening to these songs anyway?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Aug 24, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Unnecessary censorship in music. A few examples:

"Money it's a hit/don't give me that do goody good [censored]"
"And are you thinking of me when you [censored] her?"
"It's a [censored] girl, but it's gone too far/'cause you know it don't matter anyway..."

Look, I'm 39 years old. I'm very familiar with the words 'bullshit', 'gently caress' and 'bitch' and use them regularly. Stop trying to be my nanny and stop censoring the lyrics. What underage kid is listening to these songs anyway?

Piggybacking off of this, I recently looked up a song by The Offspring. The version of that song, on The Offspring's official YouTube channel, was the censored version.

Like. What. The gently caress. Guys?! Biggest disappointment I've had in a long while.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Was it Bad Habit?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Silver Falcon posted:

Piggybacking off of this, I recently looked up a song by The Offspring. The version of that song, on The Offspring's official YouTube channel, was the censored version.

Like. What. The gently caress. Guys?! Biggest disappointment I've had in a long while.

You don't understand, that's not the youtube channel or THE Offspring, that's the channel for YOUR offspring. It's for the underage youtubers :P

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My friend's got a girlfriend
Man he hates that :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

My friend's got a girlfriend
Man he hates that :shrug:

People who seem to actively hate their partner are beyond pet peeve to me. How. Why. We do everything together as often as possible, and it rocks. Less ball and chain more I’m sad when she ain’t around.

Peeve: people who wear shoes in our apartment. loving barbarians.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People who seem to actively hate their partner are beyond pet peeve to me. How. Why. We do everything together as often as possible, and it rocks. Less ball and chain more I’m sad when she ain’t around.

And yet, it seems to be like 99% of boomer humor. Being in my 30s, I don't fully understand the husband/wife dynamic of the boomer era, but judging by their "take my wife, please!" humor, their marriages seem much more culturally obligatory & therefore more likely to be acrimonious. That said, it's the 21st century now though, have we really not moved on yet?

Anyway, the song "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson ft. other people, which came out in 2009, has the line

quote:

I never thought I'd hear myself say
'Y'all go 'head, I think I'm gonna kick it with my girl today'

I mean, this is a mild example compared to what you're saying, but it's like, really? Why not? Did you think you were just doomed to only date people whose company you didn't enjoy?

Imho even the whole idea/joke that women talk too much is an indicator that girlfriends are meant only to be tolerated, and despite the fact that "friend" is in the title and everything, there is no friendship. Nothing in common that would make one interested in what she has to say, no camaraderie to make one care, just dealing with yammering for the sake of sexual rewards and/or status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

To be fair, she sits on her rear end while he works his hands to the bone to get her money every payday. She wants more dinero, just to sit at home.