Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Freeway is loving fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Black Mirror is in the long line of brit tv that is celebrated but actually sucks super bad like dr who and sherlock

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

Black Mirror is in the long line of brit tv that is celebrated but actually sucks super bad like dr who and sherlock

I don't like either of those things but Black Mirror is still more good than bad imo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Black Mirror does this thing where each episode is really good until, like, the last ten minutes, and it's mostly pretentious and a little lame. But there are a few episodes I still liked, like the dead husband robot clone or the one where the guy has an off-brand Howard Beale breakdown on TV.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sherlock gave us "i am SHER locked" so for that alone i am going to put it above black mirror because oh my god that was probably the stupidest thing i ever saw flipping the channel over to PBS

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't like either of those things but Black Mirror is still more good than bad imo

They have never reached the heights of the eye camera episode and that was still a B at best

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a couple of really stand out Black Mirror episodes specifically the Star Trek Parody and the San Junipero or whatever its called. Overall I like it as a series but it can have some real bad ones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

There's a couple of really stand out Black Mirror episodes specifically the Star Trek Parody and the San Bernanido or whatever its called.

San Junipero. :)

Shut Up and Dance is one of my favorites because just when you think "this poo poo is dark" it goes "oh you haven't seen anything yet"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The pilot to Black Mirror is a man loving a pig on live TV with all the dour seriousness of Requiem for a Dream. Respect. It has a better hit rate than most anthology shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's a couple of really stand out Black Mirror episodes specifically the Star Trek Parody and the San Junipero or whatever its called. Overall I like it as a series but it can have some real bad ones.

Yeah exactly. IMO Black Mirror has some really high highs and some hilarious lows, and for an anthology series that's what I'm looking for and expect.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

The pilot to Black Mirror is a man loving a pig on live TV with all the dour seriousness of Requiem for a Dream.

I love the hell out of that episode for a million reasons, and so many people including my wife, HATE it, which makes me quite sad!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I respect Black Mirror because even in the shittiest episodes, there's a nugget of an incredibly clever idea. No other show would bother to commit to a high concept the way it does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What if cell phones but too much

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tom Noonan would be a really good horror anthology host.

If you haven't already seen Ti West's The Roost, you absolutely should.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
It was wild for me when Get Out came out and I was really pumped to see Bing from Black Mirror in a big movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not every anthology show can be the original Twilight Zone, the original Outer Limits, or Tales from the Crypt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I learned something about adhd where people with it when you tell them to do something our stupid poo poo brains automatically then don’t wanna do it

And so many people have asked me to watch black mirror that I don’t think I’ll ever watch it lol

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
M3GAN was a really good extended Black mirror episode. Send tweet.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Man like I understand if Black Mirror ain't your thing but how can you say it's as bad as Sherlock. Sherlock was so god drat awful.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
We watched Hatching tonight. Really liked it! I appreciate when a movie will lean into the "metaphor vs. monster" ambiguity and then go no, mother and daughter are gonna hunt this loving birdcreature down with butcher knives. Luckily we finished eating dinner pretty early into the runtime because there's some gnarly goo amongst the cool creature effects.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The skit in the haunted house is scary. I think the guide was lying about the loving fuckers blowing giant loads.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

Do Revenge is great

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nikumatic posted:

We watched Hatching tonight. Really liked it! I appreciate when a movie will lean into the "metaphor vs. monster" ambiguity and then go no, mother and daughter are gonna hunt this loving birdcreature down with butcher knives. Luckily we finished eating dinner pretty early into the runtime because there's some gnarly goo amongst the cool creature effects.

It owns, the monster is absolutely disgusting

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I would watch a movie about Tero fixing up that awesome house.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It took me longer than it should've to realize people itt weren't just incredibly hyped by Turner Classic Movies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Freeway is loving fantastic
It's not too like, 90s Tarantino derivative is it? Heard people describe it as an "edgy" film. I always dig a solid Kiefer role though, he's so fun in Phone Booth and Dark City.

That's on my to watch list probably next...been just going through a lot of poo poo on Tubi and that's on there too. Night of the Comet, Intruder (almost wish it had more laughs), Horror in the High Desert 2 (wasn't really high on the first one like a lot of people but I liked this one better, almost the feeling of simulating a Discovery true crime show and hey that's less heinous than watching them), Skyman, Road Games, Judgment Night (wouldve been so much higher on this if the murderous antagonist were anyone but dennis leary tbh)...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It took me longer than it should've to realize people itt weren't just incredibly hyped by Turner Classic Movies

i mean, personally both

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sure you can catch TCM on TCM! Only just saw the original in the past year and I was pleasantly surprised by how slapstick it ended up being.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Enys Men looks and feels like a very good episode of the BBC's A Play For Today, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible.

The only A Play For Today I've seen is A Photograph and it's my go-to when someone says folk horror now.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not too like, 90s Tarantino derivative is it? Heard people describe it as an "edgy" film. I always dig a solid Kiefer role though, he's so fun in Phone Booth and Dark City.

That's on my to watch list probably next...been just going through a lot of poo poo on Tubi and that's on there too. Night of the Comet, Intruder (almost wish it had more laughs), Horror in the High Desert 2 (wasn't really high on the first one like a lot of people but I liked this one better, almost the feeling of simulating a Discovery true crime show and hey that's less heinous than watching them), Skyman, Road Games, Judgment Night (wouldve been so much higher on this if the murderous antagonist were anyone but dennis leary tbh)...

i didn't really think of Tarantino at all when i watched it? the edginess just rings more as very funny black comedy. also, as good as Kiefer is in it as the villain (and he is great), Reese is just on a whole other level, raising absolute hell the whole time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I think my sister bought in on VHS when we were teens, the cover referenced Natural Born Killers (because Oliver Stone was a producer). It does have that same kind of exaggerated reality, just without the hallucinatory effects. Didn't immediately click for me until I realized they were doing Little Red Riding Hood, On Crack!

But it is a lot of fun once you realize it's just an outrageous movie. Not just Witherspoon and Sutherland, but also a young Brittany Murphy and Brooke Shields!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bokeem Woodbine is great in it. Speaking of which, I just rewatched Caught Up with Bokeem Woodbine and Jeffrey Combs, it’s got some pretty fun Jamaican/voodoo stuff going on in it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not too like, 90s Tarantino derivative is it? Heard people describe it as an "edgy" film.

It's not derivative of Tarantino at all. You are missing out not watching it. It's outrageous and hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hadn't heard of it, so I looked the trailer up and it has to be one of the most spoiler filled trailers I have ever seen in my life. Who made that? Goddamn.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Do Revenge is great

Hell yeah it is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

their loss

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

hey the tom baker dr who years are pretty good.

other than that, yes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I miss Turner Classic Movies, when I couldn't fall asleep at night I used to put it on with the volume low enough that I couldn't really make out the dialogue but could still hear the score and the cadence of the actors' voices

I mean I'm assuming it still exists, I just don't have cable or a TV in the bedroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I miss Turner Classic Movies, when I couldn't fall asleep at night I used to put it on with the volume low enough that I couldn't really make out the dialogue but could still hear the score and the cadence of the actors' voices

I mean I'm assuming it still exists, I just don't have cable or a TV in the bedroom

Yea it still exists, I'm often alone at the office and we have cable so I like to put on TCM and just let it play all day in the background.