Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nyan Bread posted:

Here's a few seconds from the Tyrone leak to get a general idea of the game's lighting scheme, at least in this particular location. The default Xbox settings don't seem to overbloom the environment too much, but the overall color palette is definitely an intentional stylistic choice.
https://i.imgur.com/icQVUj4.mp4

Jesus that gunplay looks terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, you can make any game look terrible if you try hard enough. *sound warning*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3S-IciqkY

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Hotas should just be 4 axes right? Yaw pitch roll thrust? Pretty sure Xinput can handle that
You're thinking of a FreeSpace-like engine where you only get to control your primary thruster in addition to pitch, yaw, and roll - but that's basically no different from a regular flight-sim (and is one of my only critiques of that series, otherwise it's loving perfect).

For space games, the ideal is to have all of the above, but with a retro thrust axis, lateral axis', and well as an axis for dorsal and ventral thrust - which requires a HOSAS (or a throttle with multiple axis, but those are very rare).

After my X52 Pro broke, I ended up buying a VKB Gladiator NXT Evo Space Combat Edition as well as a VKB Gladiator NXT Evo Omni Throttle, pictured here:

Dramicus posted:

I'm saying an xbox controller is HOTAS. It's always been HOTAS, at least according to the spec. HOTAS has nothing in it about the physical size of the inputs, nor how they are shaped.
If you look at the Xinput, it only does 4 axes, 10 buttons, 2 triggers and 8-direction digital pad per controller - and while that's theoretically barely-sufficient to qualify as a HOTAS, it's exceptionally limted compared with DirectInput which has 8 axes, 128 buttons, and full-range POV.
This is probably because Xinput was exclusively designed for the Xbox controller and nothing else (as evidenced by Xinput only supporting controllers that work on the Xbox), as well as being limited to only 4 controllers max.

The problem you really run into is that Xinput CANNOT be used for space games, unless you begin doing dumb stuff with the triggers as well as severely overloading inputs, or simply treat space as if it's happening in a space environment.
Since Starfield seems to be skipping the landing sequence that'd involve flying in atmosphere, I was hoping they'd be at least attempting to do true 6DOF.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2023

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The problem you really run into is that Xinput CANNOT be used for space games, unless you begin doing dumb stuff with the triggers as well as severely overloading inputs, or simply treat space as if it's happening in a space environment.
Since Starfield seems to be skipping the landing sequence that'd involve flying in atmosphere, I was hoping they'd be at least attempting to do true 6DOF.

If I wanted to be annoyingly smug, I'd point out that HOTAS was designed for airplanes and not spacecraft and therefore, so on, such and such. :colbert:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

any random player is gonna spend 5% of their time flying/dogfighting, 70% exploring empty planets and copy-pasted outposts, and 25% in menus

worrying about HOTAS support or how advanced the flight model will be seems ridiculous to me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

If I wanted to be annoyingly smug, I'd point out that HOTAS was designed for airplanes and not spacecraft and therefore, so on, such and such. :colbert:
Oh, I absolutely agree with you - which is why you'll note that I usually write HOTAS/HOSAS.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

any random player is gonna spend 5% of their time flying/dogfighting, 70% exploring empty planets and copy-pasted outposts, and 25% in menus

worrying about HOTAS support or how advanced the flight model will be seems ridiculous to me
I don't really care how "advanced" the flight model is, as long as it's not as arcadey as No Man's Sky or any other game taking inspiration from Descent.

I think HOSAS is a bit different, because in space games you can actually make use of thrusters for movement in in both X, Y and Z directions from your local reference.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 23, 2023

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
christ stop saying hotas

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just use an N64 controller. The only true space age controller.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I am not going to use a controller at all to play Space Skyrim 2: Busty Crabs

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Chillmatic posted:

christ stop saying hotas

Just pronounce it HOT rear end in your mind and the conversation becomes much better.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Just pronounce it HOT rear end in your mind and the conversation becomes much better.
I thought everyone did that.

HOT rear end AND HOT SAS all up in this.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I am not going to use a controller at all to play Space Skyrim 2: Busty Crabs

Oh going to play it via a computer brain interface smart.

The more wires in the brain the better I say!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
gonna make this dude and then play the game on a rockband guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I don't really care how "advanced" the flight model is, as long as it's not as arcadey as No Man's Sky or any other game taking inspiration from Descent.

The flight model is going to be incredibly not advanced. Not because lol Bethesda bad, but because it's a game built for the biggest audience possible.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
From the very brief look we've seen, it looks a bit like x-wing vs tiefighter with the power shunting to different systems.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

You're thinking of a FreeSpace-like engine where you only get to control your primary thruster in addition to pitch, yaw, and roll - but that's basically no different from a regular flight-sim (and is one of my only critiques of that series, otherwise it's loving perfect).

For space games, the ideal is to have all of the above, but with a retro thrust axis, lateral axis', and well as an axis for dorsal and ventral thrust - which requires a HOSAS (or a throttle with multiple axis, but those are very rare).

After my X52 Pro broke, I ended up buying a VKB Gladiator NXT Evo Space Combat Edition as well as a VKB Gladiator NXT Evo Omni Throttle, pictured here:

Trying to figure out how this works is making my brain hurt.

I use a HOTAS for Elite: Dangerous, and that took me a while to learn... :downs:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah it's gonna be nms flight style for sure, I doubt there will be any Newtonian physics flying that would need a stick.

WW2 planes in space

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Welp went ahead and preordered the basic version on steam. Feels oddly exciting getting in on the ground floor of a Bethesda game for once. How long until I can turn my spaceship missiles into dicks?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just realized that the Premium Edition early access starts on Sept 1, which I took off work so I'd have a 4-day weekend for my birthday (also Sept 1). :peanut:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Tracks from the game have been appearing online. While I do like the epic SPACE! music, I'm glad that the soundtrack seems to have a bit more variety than that. I think Cydonia is my favorite so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K58aPzN4YU

:edit: Whoops, gone already.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 24, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

queeb posted:

Yeah it's gonna be nms flight style for sure, I doubt there will be any Newtonian physics flying that would need a stick.

They mentioned this in the deep direct pretty sure, that they looked at putting in hard mechanics and more real world physics for the space fighting then dialed it back to be more arcardy and fun. Which for a game where space flight is just one part of it, makes sense.

(They should of gone full Kerbal, I don't care if 99.9% of people, myself included, can never leave the starting planet!)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

SF was never marketed as a grognardy flight sim ala ED with full Newtonian fluid physics that let you throw your space sub into a controlled drift in order to knock out enemy engines. By the look of it the closest thing is in fact how NMS controls its ships with tethered controls by following a gimballed reticle around regulated by the power and agility of your ship.
https://i.imgur.com/PXV7iC2.mp4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah that would really suck if it took any inspiration from one of the best spaceship games ever made

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
NMS had some of the worst flight controls I have ever laid hands on. Well, worst UI and controls in general really. So hopefully not TOO close to that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should of just gone back to the basics and based it off space invaders or asteroid.

The third dimension in fps was a mistake. :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NMS had some of the worst flight controls I have ever laid hands on. Well, worst UI and controls in general really. So hopefully not TOO close to that.

Yeah, I wasn't really too keen on NMS' space flight. Hard to describe why, I guess. Hopefully they make it control more like Freelancer, IMO :colbert:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my favorite spaceflight in a game was Independence War 2. enough physics that you could kind of feel it, but not enough physics that you'd spend 20 minutes bungling a parking job and lose your ship in in the process like in Elite Dangerous

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chillmatic posted:

I too enjoy straining the absolute gently caress out of my neck to glance at UI elements

True gamers do the training necessary to handle gaming with an extremely wide monitor.

I try to do a minimum of 100 reps of neck curls a day. My neck is very powerful now, and roughly twice as wide as my head. It's a neck trained for gaming.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The person playing that seems like someone using a controller who has never played a first/third-person shooter with a controller before.

I'm not exactly expecting much from the combat in this game, but you can't really tell anything from that clip.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

NMS's UI, flight/movement control, and general handling feels like an alien watched a documentary on how to make games and emulated it as best they could.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Omnicarus posted:

NMS's UI, flight/movement control, and general handling feels like an alien watched a documentary on how to make games and emulated it as best they could.

aliens fly via telepathy so this makes sense

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Have they said whether there is a spacedog you can travel with?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If a Logitech gamepad is good enough for an unregulated submersible, then it's good enough for Starfield.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If a Logitech gamepad is good enough for an unregulated submersible, then it's good enough for Starfield.

About that submersible....

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Enigma posted:

Have they said whether there is a spacedog you can travel with?

In a surprise twist you play the space dog in this one. Every time you complete a quest your robot master pats you in the head and tells you what a "good boy" you've been.

You better believe everyone's going to be finishing all the side quests in this one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

KakerMix posted:

About that submersible....

Not like that was the controller's fault. Some say it's still working to this day.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

dr_rat posted:

In a surprise twist you play the space dog in this one. Every time you complete a quest your robot master pats you in the head and tells you what a "good boy" you've been.

You better believe everyone's going to be finishing all the side quests in this one.

You run into a talking space dog early on and then have to slowly follow him across the entire goddamn galaxy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

You run into a talking space dog early on and then have to slowly follow him across the entire goddamn galaxy.

Oh, so they're bringing back Barbas and Clavicus Vile then, are they? :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
if there's space dragons but not a space dog I'll riot

like if you're gonna flagrantly reuse assets you better give me the dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I'm so gd psyched I kind of wish I had got the expensivest version so I could play 5 days sooner. But also I dunno if I want to incentivize devs to start doing that.