Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
billionaires are often waiting in line at the usps to buy stamps. i meet them all the time and now they are my friends

science rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
breathing a sigh of relief that society is working because I served unlimited breadsticks to my landlord

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

restaurants and pubs and the like are important but I don’t think they have to be chains

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

having a cross-class encounter at the ace hardware (i am forced to ask the employee to unlock the drill bits)

/sighing as you realize this ACE employee moves at the speed of a crippled Ent

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
diners of the world, unite! you have nothing to lose but your chains

Aug 24, 2023
universal basic income at historical normal wages would cost roughly 750 trillion dollars per year for the united states only

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
class conscious thought, but corporatly

Aug 24, 2023

Delta-Wye posted:

billionaires are often waiting in line at the usps to buy stamps. i meet them all the time and now they are my friends

science rocks!

the billionaires lost a fellow billionaire warlord today

:rip:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

How does walmart rank?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would like to see Popeyes on the restaurant chart

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

what about interstate highway traffic jams? that's gotta rank higher than those piddly numbers

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol "cross class encounters"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

In Training posted:

fully remote work is basically unionizing proof. 90% of your communication happens on company surveilled tools. No chance to catch people after work for a drink etc. Very alienating, lots of profit no doubt.

The reticence of most American corpos to embrace full WFH is kinda funny. Mix of mgmt cultural desire to abuse their employees and wallow in their place on the pyramid, and rentier class flipping their loving lid about property valuations. Contradictions ftw

You're not wrong, but I don't think the average American corporation actually spends much time worrying about white collar organization since it's so uncommon and the entire corporate ladder is already built to destroy worker solidarity.

Return to work stuff is hilariously self-defeating, but capital would probably still be correct to judge commercial real estate destruction as a bigger threat than computer touchers deciding to organize.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
they should do the chilis at the airport instead

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Arby's a force for good in our world, never knew.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Arby's has crappy food, but it also introduced a young me to horseradish, so who is to say if it is good or bad

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
it is happy hour in a chili's restroom. a lawyer is standing at a urinal frowning and looking down at his shoes, a pair of expensive looking black leather shoes. the other urinal has a very drunk construction worker (he gets off earlier, you see) violently pissing in the urinal, gently spraying the lawyer's shoes

on the other side of the bathroom, a researcher smiles happily and takes notes about this cross-class encounter in a small notebook

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
America was better when it was 5 for $5.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Consummate Professional posted:

https://youtu.be/wcvvT8rrVbI?si=ZCJV3xX9eO4DG6dH

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr Hootington posted:

A computer jockey shouldn't be making more than a construction worker, garbage man, or line cook. It should be the same.

wrong. they should be paid less.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thought of this thread when I saw this on the feed:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1694511355968049379

the chilis near me had a triple homicide from a robbery gone bad a few years ago. socioeconomics ftw

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Weka posted:

wrong. they should be paid less.

wrong. all work should be done only for the greater good without compensation.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

the chilis near me had a triple homicide from a robbery gone bad a few years ago. socioeconomics ftw

lol who the gently caress is robbing an chilis

just do like an apple store or bakery like every other normal person

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

lol who the gently caress is robbing an chilis

just do like an apple store or bakery like every other normal person

just the biggest idiot of all time. he WORKED THERE and was caught because a coworker recognized him. that coworker survived because his gun malfunctioned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Going to Olive Garden to mix it up with the strangers at other tables, definitely a normal thing to be doing that isn't going to be met with awkward looks and someone asking if the manager can get me to leave.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Sure it did

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
getting my social cohesion waiting in line at arbys. so what?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
ill order the thing.

that will be 20 dollars.

thanks

SOCIAL COHESION ACTIVATED

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
consuming is the most all-american past time that we have

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am cohesing in the drive thru with my fellow man before I peel out of the driveway to scarf down my $20 shrunken beef & cheddar and 5 curly fries while staring at my phone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

82323 posted:

universal basic income at historical normal wages would cost roughly 750 trillion dollars per year for the united states only

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress yeah that's like 2 million a year. Sign me up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

gently caress yeah that's like 2 million a year. Sign me up
everything sucks so much worse these days yet despite that i still wouldn't want to go back to bush-obungler years.

now 90s...? hell yeah where do i sign

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

RadiRoot posted:

Delta-Wye posted:

a researcher smiles happily and takes notes about this cross-class encounter in a small notebook

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Pretty sure the only "cross class encounters" happening at chain restaurants are HENRYs interacting with the wait staff.

In an alternate universe, that article dives into the de facto caste system in America. Unfortunately in this one, it goes straight into sucking off the corporations, lucky us.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

While workers languish in hours-long commutes and car rides, a private sector advisor of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. says not to worry; traffic just means there’s plenty of economic activity.

“Of course, you have traffic. I mean, there’s traffic all over the world in areas that the economy is really doing [well],” said Joey Concepcion III, who acts as the President’s private sector lead advisor on the jobs sector.

Concepcion is part of Marcos’ Private Sector Advisory Council, a close-knit circle of billionaires that provide recommendations on infrastructure, agriculture, tourism, health, jobs, and digital infrastructure.

Concepcion was listed as the country’s 41st richest Filipino in 2020, drawing his wealth from his stakes in Concepcion Industrial – local manufacturer of Condura, Carrier, Otis, Kelvinator, among others – and RFM Corporation – the company behind Selecta, Fiesta, and Sunkist.

“When you go to a country, and you see that there’s a lot of people moving – traffic and all of that – that means there’s a lot of economic activity. But if the streets are empty and there’s nobody, that means the economy is not moving,” he said in a One Balita Pilipinas news interview on Wednesday, August 23.

The many problems besetting the Philippines’ transportation system have caused near-unbearable levels of traffic in major urban centers. Metro Manila in particular has been named the most congested city by the Asian Development Bank and the TomTomTraffic Index.

The country’s sprawling megacity is also home to the world’s fifth worst public transportation system, according to think tank Oliver Wyman Forum and the University of California, Berkeley.

Traffic also hurts us economically, costing us as much as P3.5 billion in “lost opportunities” every day, according to a 2018 Japan International Cooperation Agency report. That could reach as high as P5.4 billion daily by 2035.

How does the country’s traffic compare to its neighbors? Concepcion brought up his recent trip to Indonesia, where he saw “the economy really booming because there’s so much mobility.”

Indonesian capital Jakarta is known for its notorious traffic congestion, which contributed to its dangerous levels of air pollution and its disreputable title as the world’s most polluted city. In fact, it’s gotten so terrible that civil servants in the city were asked to work from home on Mondays to help clear up the air and traffic.

A few days ago, Concepcion also raised eyebrows after he suggested businesses should bring employees back to the office rather than offer work-from-home arrangements since this would encourage more consumer spending and “discipline” from workers.

[That work-from-home arrangement, that works during the pandemic. But right now, there’s no more pandemic. So we should keep encouraging a work-from-office arrangement so that there’s also discipline],” he said during a public briefing on Monday, August 21.

“If there is no mobility, there will be very weak consumer spending and that will lead to a lower number in our growth of the Philippines,” he added.

The economy grew by a disappointing 4.3% in the second quarter of 2023, the lowest growth in almost 12 years, without counting the pandemic recession.

The presidential advisor’s response to this slow growth? Consumers should spend – and spend plenty.

“How do you spur economic activity? You have to spend,” Concepcion said on Wednesday. “If you don’t spend and nobody spends, then there is no economic activity.”

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the majority of economic activity happens indoors or underground or in traffic, you know

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Weka posted:

they should be paid less.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
computer touchers 🖕

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

peepeepants posted:

Sure it did

Making everyone fatter does bring them closer together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/GraduatedBen/status/1694384774557708555?t=HCOyJQ6OAlzmRs4wIw_seg&s=19
https://twitter.com/loffredojeremy/status/1694474118937358553?t=4GtjWJ07tbfcaFInsXvupA&s=19

These people will never have their homes rebuilt or have an investigation into all of what happened.