Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Is Messi even going to play on the turf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

meefistopheles posted:

Is Messi even going to play on the turf?

He said hes fine with turf

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Guess we don't have to worry about the San Diego Generic Names stomping all over the Loyal's territory as the Loyal are folding at the end of the season because they couldn't find a permanent home.

:rip:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah DC United sent out a similar email to their sth's. Basically priming the pump for "we've increased prices, BUT MESSI, YOU GET TO SEE MESSI"

Looking forward to laughing at my rep and going to watch spirit games for significantly less.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Looking forward to laughing at my rep and going to watch spirit games for significantly less.

I've gone to as many DCU games as I've wanted this season only missing 2 due to weddings, and dollar for dollar despite giving loads to Ticketmaster it's been cheaper overall than paying for my old season tickets. Yeah I've paid 70 bucks or more sometimes, but so many times I've paid less than my old 38 bucks a game and certainly less than the 45ish my rep wanted to increase my seats to. Half the time the team itself has sold me tickets for like 25 bucks and thrown in a free beer!

There is zero reason to give them money.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

After tonight? Dear lord, no. :lol:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

After tonight? Dear lord, no. :lol:

Case in point, tonight I sat on the end of Row 2 in section 124, great seats and it cost me 48 bucks a seat. I'm sure if I wanted these seats season long they'd want like 90+ a game.

https://imgur.com/a/8NwOODp

DCU season tickets represent just terrible value.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I've gone to as many DCU games as I've wanted this season only missing 2 due to weddings, and dollar for dollar despite giving loads to Ticketmaster it's been cheaper overall than paying for my old season tickets. Yeah I've paid 70 bucks or more sometimes, but so many times I've paid less than my old 38 bucks a game and certainly less than the 45ish my rep wanted to increase my seats to. Half the time the team itself has sold me tickets for like 25 bucks and thrown in a free beer!

Why did you even go as much as you did? The team has zero quality.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Herdman hiring is official.

poo poo sucks.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

Herdman hiring is official.

poo poo sucks.

Thank you for taking him so that when Seattle fire the coach at the end of the season they don't grab him

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
How is it that we still have no idea what’s up with Bruce Arena

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

My guess is "there are shitloads of lawyers involved"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Why did you even go as much as you did? The team has zero quality.

If quality mattered to me I'd never have watched this bad league. Going out and hanging out with your friends is still a fine way to spend a nice summer evening

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Nybble posted:

How is it that we still have no idea what’s up with Bruce Arena

Because he probably didn't simply do a racism so the league can't just fine him and make him pinky-swear to never do it again.

If lawyers or even cops are involved, everyone absolutely should be shutting up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mid-season firing #6 as the Rapids axe Fraser

:geno:

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

whypick1 posted:

Mid-season firing #6 as the Rapids axe Fraser

:geno:

One day, with ANY luck at all, that brilliant man will get to work for an organization that knows what the gently caress it's doing.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Revs should hire him after they inevitably fire Bruce

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Popero posted:

Revs should hire him after they inevitably fire Bruce

Has there been any news whatsoever after the month or so it’s been? I’m wondering if the guy killed someone at this point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Wall Street Journal reports what we all expected: Lionel Messi is a boon for MLS Season Pass, with 110,000 people subscribing on the day he started playing for Inter, over 1600% of the new subscribers added the day before.

e: and this is just the US, mind you

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 5, 2023

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is there even a point playing against Inter Miami now? As soon as Messi showed up they became completely invincible, although considering they were nothing before he came I suspect they'll lose badly the second they can't use him. And do all the other teams just not have anyone who's any good?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

although considering they were nothing before he came I suspect they'll lose badly the second they can't use him.

:confused:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I mean, they won tonight without him!

Bruce Arena has resigned, requires permission from the commissioner if he wants another job in the league. Some allegations were found to be of merit, though we still have no idea what they are.

Also they announced all this a few minutes after the Revs match ended. Athletic posted a story a few hours prior, perhaps that pushed the timeline.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38387791/new-england-players-refused-train-arena-exit

:tif:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Richie Williams dimed out Arena and the players weren't having it lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What the hell did Arena do? How has it not leaked out yet

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Richie Williams dimed out Arena and the players weren't having it lol

Snitches get stitches apparently

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Is there even a point playing against Inter Miami now? As soon as Messi showed up they became completely invincible, although considering they were nothing before he came I suspect they'll lose badly the second they can't use him. And do all the other teams just not have anyone who's any good?

Messi is the obvious biggest difference maker, but Tata is a massive upgrade over Phil Neville as manager. Also if Sergio and Alba can stay healthy they are also massive upgrades to the team to say the least.

I think if they continue to recruit smartly (Farias looks like a great signing) and their Barcelona trio all stay healthy next year they will have to be the favorites for the cup next year. Hell, it’s not impossible they sneak into the playoffs and win it this year.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What the hell did Arena do? How has it not leaked out yet

Everyone's keeping totally silent about it so far. Apparently 8 different people complained, so I can't imagine it was just Williams overhearing a single thing. I doubt we'll know before the season ends, if ever.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Everyone's keeping totally silent about it so far. Apparently 8 different people complained, so I can't imagine it was just Williams overhearing a single thing. I doubt we'll know before the season ends, if ever.

It's interesting that Arena chose to resign. Granted he's 70 and may just be too old for this poo poo anymore but I bet being dimed out by a guy who only has a career because of you doesn't feel wonderful.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

It's interesting that Arena chose to resign. Granted he's 70 and may just be too old for this poo poo anymore but I bet being dimed out by a guy who only has a career because of you doesn't feel wonderful.

I’m guessing his resignation was something of a plea bargain. I agree that ending your career like this must be really poo poo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I’m guessing his resignation was something of a plea bargain. I agree that ending your career like this must be really poo poo.

From his freshman year in college until a month ago, 35 years as a player or coach under Arena. Considering we don't know anything about anything I'm not going to defend either party but I fully understand why the players who also apparently have no information would refuse to play for Williams.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 13, 2023

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Arena's 70? Why the gently caress was he even still working, he should have been out with a real family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a million dollar house on the beach. Whatever he said must have either been worse than 1000 Mein Kampfs or the dumbest poo poo ever that hurt some executive's feelings.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Can one of our Canadian/Quebecois folks tell us if there's truth behind this story? Because the translated version sounds kinda nuts and I desperately want it to be true.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

whypick1 posted:

Can one of our Canadian/Quebecois folks tell us if there's truth behind this story? Because the translated version sounds kinda nuts and I desperately want it to be true.

Matko Miljevic has been riding the pine for CF Montreal, so he went to play for the amateur Ligue Québécoise de Soccer Calcetto under a fake name. There he scored 6 goals 2 assists in three games.

Then Miljevic went to watch his unnamed buddy play, and when his buddy's team was losing 5-0 he spat on one of the opposing players then words were exchanged in spanish and Miljevic punched a player in the face. So the ref called the game and Miljevic is kicked out of the Ligue Québécoise de Soccer Calcetto.

What I find a bit more interesting is that the victim is referred to in the statement by the league repeatedly as elle meaning the person who got punched was a woman and she isn't hurt but is considering pressing an assault charge.

quote:

la victime va bien, elle ne devrait pas garder de séquelles, mais elle songe tout de même sérieusement à déposer une plainte au criminel pour voie de fait actuellement.

Oh and CF Montreal has no comment.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Another Bill posted:

What I find a bit more interesting is that the victim is referred to in the statement by the league repeatedly as elle meaning the person who got punched was a woman and she isn't hurt but is considering pressing an assault charge.

That might just be that "victime", unlike many French feminine nouns referring to people, doesn't have a "masculine" equivalent that's used when referring to a person that is actually male - so an unidentified male victim could, as grammar goes, similarly be referred to as "la victime" and "elle".

Unfortunately I can't confirm anything about the underlying story but I'm not going to let that stop me from believing it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Another Bill posted:

Ligue Québécoise de Soccer Calcetto

I love that this is made of three languages.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gigi Galli posted:

I love that this is made of three languages.

See? It’s not just Americans doing things like this!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just came here to say that Campana goal was absolutely filthy.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

As usual, El Trafico is proving to be incredibly stressful for fans and, I'd imagine, a delightful chaos festival for neutrals.

Edit: the game and the galaxy's playoff hopes are extremely over.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

As usual, El Trafico is proving to be incredibly stressful for fans and, I'd imagine, a delightful chaos festival for neutrals.

Edit: the game and the galaxy's playoff hopes are extremely over.

Mavinga is so bad man. We were looking like we could get outta there with a tie till he played that horrible back pass.