Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of Van and Agnes, it seems that (late Reverie Daydreams) Van and Agnes are the unnamed but well described schoolmates that Renne allies with in her reminiscence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking of Van and Agnes, it seems that (late Reverie Daydreams) Van and Agnes are the unnamed but well described schoolmates that Renne allies with in her reminiscence.

Agnes, yes. Van's not a student.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Agnes, yes. Van's not a student.

Oh right, might just be an outside source. Cannot remember the text of the daydream off the top of my head, just going by the sleuths over on the Falcom Reddit.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Tesseraction posted:

Are they making that daydream into an actual game? Because it seems like it would be a cool one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The 3 short story daydreams at the end of Reverie are setups for Kuro.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The 3 short story daydreams at the end of Reverie are setups for Kuro.

Good. Based on the daydreams that really seems like a game I want to play

Naturally it'll take a decade to be translated to English :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Agnes does develop a bit of a crush on Van but he doesn't reciprocate, keeping their relationship strictly professional. All of the bond events are platonic in the Kuro games, except the ones with Elaine which do have romantic tension between her and Van. They dialed back on the harem stuff a bit from Crossbell and Cold Steel.

That's great to hear. Elaine seems cool so far and also shares a name with this girl I had a massive crush on back in college.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So how far behind are we on Trails localizations? There’s only two Kuro games right now, right? That’s…a lot better than before, beating in mind we got Zero to Azure in the past few years and Reverie a few months ago.

Speaking of Azure, I miss the old boss themes, but at least the monster extermination/monster-in-a-box theme is an upgrade. Also, man, Hard is actually kinda hard, not in a bad/bullshit way but I’m definitely finding myself putting more effort/thought into significant fights like the earthworm fight. Feels actually kinda good, wish I’d played Zero on Hard since the only hard fight was Garcia round 1.

And while I’m rambling, the way the trails series handles arts kinda sucks a lot. Even when the cast times are good with investment (and it feels significantly more restrictive than giving a melee person a Gladiator accessory) casting a spell counts as a turn for buff purposes, which, like, really shouldn’t be the case for obvious reasons. Arts are nice and all, but Negative Gate (goated) aside it feels like from Zero onward where crafts start getting aggressively cracked with poo poo like “hit a line with 75% paralysis rate”, “chip damage and 100% blind” and one of my favorites “instant transmission across the battlefield with a significant paralysis rate”, alongside how CP regen sort of has a symbiotic relationship with hitting a lot of enemies at once. It feels like the utility of arts is overrated and they should have better ailment proc rates than crafts to, you know, give them something. Or that the basic single target elemental arts should have nonexistent cast times since their damage is usually so mediocre so casters have parity with conventional attackers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

So how far behind are we on Trails localizations? There’s only two Kuro games right now, right? That’s…a lot better than before, beating in mind we got Zero to Azure in the past few years and Reverie a few months ago.

Speaking of Azure, I miss the old boss themes, but at least the monster extermination/monster-in-a-box theme is an upgrade. Also, man, Hard is actually kinda hard, not in a bad/bullshit way but I’m definitely finding myself putting more effort/thought into significant fights like the earthworm fight. Feels actually kinda good, wish I’d played Zero on Hard since the only hard fight was Garcia round 1.

And while I’m rambling, the way the trails series handles arts kinda sucks a lot. Even when the cast times are good with investment (and it feels significantly more restrictive than giving a melee person a Gladiator accessory) casting a spell counts as a turn for buff purposes, which, like, really shouldn’t be the case for obvious reasons. Arts are nice and all, but Negative Gate (goated) aside it feels like from Zero onward where crafts start getting aggressively cracked with poo poo like “hit a line with 75% paralysis rate”, “chip damage and 100% blind” and one of my favorites “instant transmission across the battlefield with a significant paralysis rate”, alongside how CP regen sort of has a symbiotic relationship with hitting a lot of enemies at once. It feels like the utility of arts is overrated and they should have better ailment proc rates than crafts to, you know, give them something. Or that the basic single target elemental arts should have nonexistent cast times since their damage is usually so mediocre so casters have parity with conventional attackers.

It's the opposite actually. Arts have been absurdly busted for at least CSIII/CSIV/Reverie. They are insanely overpowered when used in conjunction with Brave Orders or some of the insane stuff you get. Even one good Arts user will probably outperform an entire team of good Craft users in terms of raw damage. Arts are absolutely loving cracked in half when you have so many ways to reduce casting time and by the end game you'd be doing a shitload more damage just by fielding a team of Arts users and doing nothing but casting than you would by doing the same with Craft users. A strong Arts user basically is casting Better Than S-Craft Level Damage every single turn and then they can save all their CP to toss in a S-Craft rush if needed.

They kept making Crafts more busted because they needed something to compete with Arts and even then no Craft-boosting BO comes remotely close to how big a damage boost the Arts boosting ones are.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 24, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's the opposite actually. Arts have been absurdly busted for at least CSIII/CSIV/Reverie. They are insanely overpowered when used in conjunction with Brave Orders or some of the insane stuff you get. Even one good Arts user will probably outperform an entire team of good Craft users in terms of raw damage.

Turn delay stuff got really weird for me at the end of Reverie. Like a mage can machine gun skills at delay 6 w/o a delay cut B.O. and then Heavenly Gift is like delay 36 or something. I think the only thing that could compete with mages for raw damage was Rean's special form, and even that was less consistent. Well, dodge tanks are still good, though.

Edit: and then there is Mercurius, though admittedly the final boss and a few before don't have elemental weaknesses.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 24, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's the opposite actually. Arts have been absurdly busted for at least CSIII/CSIV/Reverie. They are insanely overpowered when used in conjunction with Brave Orders or some of the insane stuff you get. Even one good Arts user will probably outperform an entire team of good Craft users in terms of raw damage. Arts are absolutely loving cracked in half when you have so many ways to reduce casting time and by the end game you'd be doing a shitload more damage just by fielding a team of Arts users and doing nothing but casting than you would by doing the same with Craft users. A strong Arts user basically is casting Better Than S-Craft Level Damage every single turn and then they can save all their CP to toss in a S-Craft rush if needed.

They kept making Crafts more busted because they needed something to compete with Arts and even then no Craft-boosting BO comes remotely close to how big a damage boost the Arts boosting ones are.

Gonna be honest my Cold Steel knowledge extends to just 1/2 and the 3 demo, so I’m glad, even if it maybe sounds like they overcorrected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Gonna be honest my Cold Steel knowledge extends to just 1/2 and the 3 demo, so I’m glad, even if it maybe sounds like they overcorrected.

Yeah. in 3 they introduce Brave Orders which let you machine gun full power spells with 0 cast time or EP cost (or both) and it becomes really clear why they gave them those because without them the damage they output is utterly nuts before you start optimizing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Zero's basically the one weak point of Arts in the series up to Reverie, because it has buffed Crafts but it doesn't have Bells or Master Quartz. Azure introduces both. The thing about Arts versus physicals from Azure onward is that between Cast quartz, Bells, and after-spell delay reduction MQ, Arts have so, so many more ways to improve your action economy. So they're going to be somewhat underwhelming early on, especially as Crafts get stronger throughout the series, but then you reach the endgame and suddenly you can cast two to three spells for every physical attack or Craft. It's really hard for physicals to overcome that disadvantage.

The funny thing is that Arts are at their strongest in CS3 and CS4 (thanks to infinite looping with Chrono Burst, which was removed in Reverie), but it's also the best about still giving physicals a reason to exist at endgame, because you need BP for Brave Orders and Arts can't provide that. Then we got to Reverie and they threw that weakness out the window with United Fronts. Oops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einander posted:

Zero's basically the one weak point of Arts in the series up to Reverie, because it has buffed Crafts but it doesn't have Bells or Master Quartz. Azure introduces both. The thing about Arts versus physicals from Azure onward is that between Cast quartz, Bells, and after-spell delay reduction MQ, Arts have so, so many more ways to improve your action economy. So they're going to be somewhat underwhelming early on, especially as Crafts get stronger throughout the series, but then you reach the endgame and suddenly you can cast two to three spells for every physical attack or Craft. It's really hard for physicals to overcome that disadvantage.

The funny thing is that Arts are at their strongest in CS3 and CS4 (thanks to infinite looping with Chrono Burst, which was removed in Reverie), but it's also the best about still giving physicals a reason to exist at endgame, because you need BP for Brave Orders and Arts can't provide that. Then we got to Reverie and they threw that weakness out the window with United Fronts. Oops.

It's extra funny because UFs could have not given any BP and would still be absurdly useful

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Secondary master quartz also means you can stack two of magic ones easily ...I forget, do any games restrict reuse on secondary ones? It's been a while since CS3 and 4, at any rate, Reverie doesn't, and both Musse and Nadia have MQs that start with +45% crit on offensive magic as bonus 1 (and therefore active when secondary quartz), and without HP conditions or the like. Then Toval's MQ is increased damage for more EP, Mercurius is more spell damage for hitting weaknesses (and it provides lots of spells to hit those weaknesses).

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

For anybody who's finished Kuro 1, I'm considering playing it now that I've finished Reverie, but to help make that decision I'd like to know (without any details, of course) what type of Trails ending it's closest to.
Is it like Zero (story and characters pretty much stable, with a few non-urgent questions to carry on into the next game), Sky FC (story more or less stable but with a massive character cliffhanger), or Cold Steel 1/3 (everything's hosed and I need to slam the next disc into my console right now)?

OddObserver posted:

Secondary master quartz also means you can stack two of magic ones easily ...I forget, do any games restrict reuse on secondary ones? It's been a while since CS3 and 4, at any rate, Reverie doesn't, and both Musse and Nadia have MQs that start with +45% crit on offensive magic as bonus 1 (and therefore active when secondary quartz), and without HP conditions or the like. Then Toval's MQ is increased damage for more EP, Mercurius is more spell damage for hitting weaknesses (and it provides lots of spells to hit those weaknesses).
I'm fairly sure in CS3 you could only assign a Master Quartz as a secondary to one single person. CS4 and Reverie then lifted that restriction, letting any number of characters use the same secondary MQ.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

JavaJesus posted:

For anybody who's finished Kuro 1, I'm considering playing it now that I've finished Reverie, but to help make that decision I'd like to know (without any details, of course) what type of Trails ending it's closest to.
Is it like Zero (story and characters pretty much stable, with a few non-urgent questions to carry on into the next game), Sky FC (story more or less stable but with a massive character cliffhanger), or Cold Steel 1/3 (everything's hosed and I need to slam the next disc into my console right now)?

It's definitely like ____Zero____

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Early on in CS1, Crafts are much stronger, because your MQs are low level, your quartz options are limited and Rean's Craft list is insane.

Then by the endgame, you can chain cast level 1 arts and take infinite turns.

CS2 follows a similar pattern. CS3 is when they stopped pretending the two were balanced.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still mostly used crafts in Reverie. Had little problems.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

I'm fairly sure in CS3 you could only assign a Master Quartz as a secondary to one single person. CS4 and Reverie then lifted that restriction, letting any number of characters use the same secondary MQ.

Both Kuro games are like Zero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gameplay question about Kuro - I don't totally get how to use the boost thing. It seems like the game will let you trigger it as much as you want, but is there any benefit to doing it twice in a row instead of just once? Does it stack if you do two separate characters' boosts? It also seems like S-Crafts use the same "currency," so there's a trade-off of sorts. And something (forget what) increases your boost points so you can do more S-Crafts in a row.

The interface for this is cool looking but definitely less easy to understand than the ones in previous games. I also don't like how the battle controls are conditional; it's not just "this button does this," but the button changes when you're in one menu (like if you're in the Arts menu I think you have to press something different to switch back to Attack, etc).

Lots of other stuff is fun though. I like the new way link attacks work a lot, and the free movement thing makes battles feel a lot more "mobile/dynamic" (since you no longer have to use a turn to move and can just freely move any time it's your turn). There are crafts that are conditional on angle too, like in Xenoblade or something.

edit: I also can't figure out what the gently caress is going on with the turn order. I'll probably figure this out at some point on my own, but for now it's confusing me. It tells you whose turn is next, but also shows people to the left of whoever's current turn it is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 24, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Think of a boost as something you need to do to activate that character's "Master Quartz", the Hollow Cores. You don't get the bonuses automatically, you need to be in boost for it. So if you boost with a character that has Feri's starting Hollow Core equipped, that character gets +10% Str/Ats, +10% Spd, +10 Mov, and +15% Physical Damage.

A full boost increases the activation chance of your shard skills and how long the boost remains active. Using an s-craft requires the character to be in full boost, so it's not a trade-off, just a requirement. Using an s-craft gives you another bar, up to 9 maximum per battle. S-crafts always cost a fixed 100CP, so a character in full boost with 200 cp can s-craft twice in a row, yes (or more if you manage to set up some way to get enough cp back to do it again).

Terper fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 24, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One minor thing, just from reading the Hollow Core page on a wiki: A later joining character's default Hollow Core, Sitri (Hollow Core's name not character's) has one of it's elements be that it's S-Boosts last a turn longer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Terper posted:

Think of a boost as something you need to do to activate that character's "Master Quartz", the Hollow Cores. You don't get the bonuses automatically, you need to be in boost for it. So if you boost with a character that has Feri's starting Hollow Core equipped, that character gets +10% Str/Ats, +10% Spd, +10 Mov, and +15% Physical Damage.

Oh like the Elden Ring ones that I never realised needed to be 'activated' until near the end

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

A full boost increases the activation chance of your shard skills and how long the boost remains active. Using an s-craft requires the character to be in full boost, so it's not a trade-off, just a requirement. Using an s-craft gives you another bar, up to 9 maximum per battle. S-crafts always cost a fixed 100CP, so a character in full boost with 200 cp can s-craft twice in a row, yes (or more if you manage to set up some way to get enough cp back to do it again).

Oh, that's a great change to the way S-Crafts work. I always disliked the way they previously worked, where it'd just use everything above 100 and not do extra unless you had 200.

What puts you in full boost? I press L1 to use the boost, but how is that different?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Boosting while you're boosted. So either using it twice immediately or a turn later.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Arts are actually bad because you cant get Link's off them, which means you can't see all the characters talking to each other, which matters a lot when you have a spreadsheet with every character's name, followed by every other characters name to cross out.

Gods I can't believe Trails added Manly Armour Power Up and Boost in the same game...

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Terper posted:

S-crafts always cost a fixed 100CP, so a character in full boost with 200 cp can s-craft twice in a row, yes (or more if you manage to set up some way to get enough cp back to do it again).

This only works in Kuro 1, though. In Kuro 2, they added a cooldown on S-Crafts such that you can only use them once per full boost. That is, once a character uses an S-Craft, they can't use another until their current boost wears off and they boost back up to level 2. (I guess you could technically still do it if you waited until the last turn of a full boost to use an S-Craft, assuming you had two boost gauge charges full at the time to use the second one.)

Also, in both games, using an S-Craft through the S-Break shortcut menu automatically uses as many boost gauge charges as needed to get the character to level 2 (i.e., 0 if they're already at level 2, 1 if they're at level 1, or 2 if they aren't boosted at all). If you don't have enough charges to get a character to boost level 2, then they'll be disabled in the S-Break menu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

Boosting while you're boosted. So either using it twice immediately or a turn later.

Ah okay, nice. It's good to know that I can't just gently caress up and press L1 too many times and blow all my boost charges.

It seems like this system is intended to allow for more frequent S-Craft usage. Early on this actually seems like a preferable alternative to using regular crafts against any enemies with a lot of HP, since my S-Craft does way more damage than my regular Crafts.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I love vantage masters and so far the AI has made me feel like a genius. I would prefer it stayed easy so CS 3 is a game where a teacher is super into owning students and children at MTG.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nereidum posted:

This only works in Kuro 1, though. In Kuro 2, they added a cooldown on S-Crafts such that you can only use them once per full boost. That is, once a character uses an S-Craft, they can't use another until their current boost wears off and they boost back up to level 2. (I guess you could technically still do it if you waited until the last turn of a full boost to use an S-Craft, assuming you had two boost gauge charges full at the time to use the second one.)

That's disappointing, but it makes sense.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I still mostly used crafts in Reverie. Had little problems.

Put good quartz on a natural caster and they'll melt through enemies at an obscene pace, much faster than a craft user. Eyepopping damage numbers plus turns coming up super quickly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

...! posted:

Put good quartz on a natural caster and they'll melt through enemies at an obscene pace, much faster than a craft user. Eyepopping damage numbers plus turns coming up super quickly.

Yeah, I mostly used Crafts when I first played CS4, and it's *way* easier with heavy Arts usage. A Craft-user with high attack doing crits with Gungnir can almost be competitive, but Musse was doing over 100k regularly with Arts while regenerating all the EP with Titania, it was silly. I was playing on Hard and never truly felt like I was at risk.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the thing is you can't just run a full caster team, you do need at least one person up in the enemy's face grabbing attention and preventing them from running up to you and slicing your glass cannon arts user in two, or Impeding them and preventing them from attacking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

the thing is you can't just run a full caster team, you do need at least one person up in the enemy's face grabbing attention and preventing them from running up to you and slicing your glass cannon arts user in two, or Impeding them and preventing them from attacking.

Sure, but you can easily run two mages while your Evasion Tank eats up all the aggro with Aegis.

Or use Juna/Lloyd with obscene defenses and have them take actual 0 damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^^ Is this actually viable before you get late-game accessories/Quartz? I noticed that my def-heavy characters were taking very little damage near the end, but I'm not sure how much more I could have done for them earlier.

Juna is nice for her Accelerate Craft, though.

Junpei posted:

Yeah, my "core team" was Rean, Crow, Musse, and Fie. It would have definitely been more optimal to have 2 or 3 casters, but I never felt the need because Musse just did so much loving damage.

Fie was obviously dodge tank (much better than Kurt at it because of her ranged attacks), and Rean is the protagonist. Crow was because I like Crow, best part of CS4. Also he has an amazing self-buff I guess.

I found that I just ignored the Break system for most of the game, whereas I heavily focused on it during my first playthrough (when I had much more trouble despite playing on Normal).

Another big difference is that I primarily used crit-related Orders. Not only do they increase damage (especially for people with Gungnir), but they make it super easy to get back the BP you spend on them. I'd generally have Ash in my Support for his Order to use in shorter encounters, and use Rean's 5BP one for encounters with more HP. The optimal DPS option would probably be something like Rean's "zero cast time" Order + 3 casters, but again just didn't find it necessary.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's not particularly difficult to break all of these games over your knee in several ways, it's just arts spam is the easiest and most efficient of those methods.

...or it would be if Gaius's S-craft didn't exist (I had no idea Absolute Delay was a thing until I finished the Reverie fan TL :v: )

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
some of these special group battle finish quotes have strong Tales Of energy. The Lapis/Tita/Tio/Alisa one especially.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure Chapter 1I definitely was not expecting Randy to rejoin until the end of the chapter/start of Chapter 2, so it was a pretty “oh hell yes!” moment when he popped in to help beat the noise dragon. I guess this could be the end of the chapter though, but I figured I had another day, haven’t actually beaten the boss yet.

I kind of am greatly appreciating the option Cold Steel gives to just swap people in/out of combat since I’d really rather just have Lloyd/Randy/Wazy/Noel to slam down debuffs, support characters are a neat idea and all and I guess way better narratively than the Sky games just only assuming a handful of the squad are on hand come endgame, but they feel pretty anemic gameplay-wise which is a bit of a bummer since it means your bros/broettes aren’t really supporting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Playing this trails game with a new setting (Kuro) is bliss. I realized there was a more updated translation patch and went ahead and bought the Steam one to apply it, and this thing even has all the random NPC dialogue translated. These games are at their best when they're introducing their characters and settings.