Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

Swamp Thing arriving on some satellite where the observer used to be (I get the feeling there was like some big parallel storyline with all the heroes and a multiverse happening at the same time or something) and being confused by a big crowd full of costumed fascist assholes felt really familiar to me, especially the bit where he's like "who are any of these people" and they're all drawn in profile or in crowds like they're the most obviously recognizable people in the world. I also had to lmao big time when Constantine was just flatly like "yeah the space station got destroyed offscreen no big deal" . I also really liked Batman showing up and being just sort of an awkward guy who didn't recognize some other superhero named mento or something.

I've decided reading Swamp Thing not knowing who any of these people are is the ideal experience because so much of the ambiance is based on the Swamp Thing missing key information the reader is assumed to possess but which I lack, so I'm really vibing with his whole comportment just constantly being like "??? I guess I'll do some psychedelic fruit about it"

Heads up, if you keep reading after Alan Moore leaves the book, there's a crossover with the (brand new at the time) Hellblazer comic for issues #76-77, I think it's just issues 8 and 9 for Hellblazer, but it might be a few issues earlier that the story starts. The trade for Hellblazer is just issues 1-9 and then 76-77 of Swamp thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Heads up, if you keep reading after Alan Moore leaves the book, there's a crossover with the (brand new at the time) Hellblazer comic for issues #76-77, I think it's just issues 8 and 9 for Hellblazer, but it might be a few issues earlier that the story starts. The trade for Hellblazer is just issues 1-9 and then 76-77 of Swamp thing.

Word thanks, I might read hellblazer at some point since I rather like the character but probably won’t read past the box set. As much as I like swamp thing it presents the same issue I always have with long running franchises like that, it’s just too extensive

This experience actually made me want to look into reading some X Men, since I was born in 1990 and grew up on the comics/toys/show/beachwear reading cards but haven’t tried to engage with it at all in like 20 years beyond a few episodes of the show which held up well enough for what they are. I just couldn’t figure out where to even try to begin, every google search yields a hundred different articles explaining how to start one storyline in one place, proceed to another with an entirely different name for x issues, then onto a third, etc. I wish it was a bit more straightforward in general and I reckon that’s part of why 99% of my books are Rebellion/Humanoids/a discrete collection encompassing all of something like the Dark Horse aliens/manga

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Since you're liking Swamp Thing, I think you'd like Batman: Gothic by Grant Morrison & Klaus Janson, a short and sweet five issue arc that highlights where modern Batman comics tend to shine the brightest, when they intersect between Occult Horror and Film Noir

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

Word thanks, I might read hellblazer at some point since I rather like the character but probably won’t read past the box set. As much as I like swamp thing it presents the same issue I always have with long running franchises like that, it’s just too extensive

This experience actually made me want to look into reading some X Men, since I was born in 1990 and grew up on the comics/toys/show/beachwear reading cards but haven’t tried to engage with it at all in like 20 years beyond a few episodes of the show which held up well enough for what they are. I just couldn’t figure out where to even try to begin, every google search yields a hundred different articles explaining how to start one storyline in one place, proceed to another with an entirely different name for x issues, then onto a third, etc. I wish it was a bit more straightforward in general and I reckon that’s part of why 99% of my books are Rebellion/Humanoids/a discrete collection encompassing all of something like the Dark Horse aliens/manga

Hellblazer's good, aside from what I just mentioned it has no other crossovers and is incredibly stand alone. There's zero mainstream heroes in the book iirc. Also, pretty much each writer's run is very stand alone, so if you do read it and, say get bored with Delano's early stuff you can skip ahead. The highlights I would say would be at least the first half of Delano's run (it seems to start to drag at a certain point), Ennis' run (probably the most widely acclaimed), Azzarello's run (the most divisive one probably, especially since the first arc has Richard Corben on art which a lot of people don't like), and then Mike Carey's run. With a special shout out to stand alone fill-in issue #51 which was the first mention of his bisexuality in a throw in line but had a huge impact on the character, and even as an aside from their prestige line, kind of a big deal from one of the big two in 1992.

For X-Men I'd say just read Giant Size #1 and then Claremont's run which starts with Uncanny X-Men #94 and doesn't have any real crossovers until Mutant Massacre a decade later (which isn't a crossover in the sense of read comic A for part one of the story and then read comic B for the second part of the story, it's just an event where it's clear the stories of multiple books are happening simultaneously). From that era (late 70s-early 80s) I think it's probably the gold standard for a long term run in super hero comics. Outside of Frank Miller's Daredevil I can't even think of what would compete.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Frog Act posted:

This experience actually made me want to look into reading some X Men, since I was born in 1990 and grew up on the comics/toys/show/beachwear reading cards but haven’t tried to engage with it at all in like 20 years beyond a few episodes of the show which held up well enough for what they are. I just couldn’t figure out where to even try to begin

Other than the recommendation for Claremont's very extensive run, another shorter and mostly contained (that barely requires knowledge of the characters) is Grant Morrison's New X-Men. I'd suggest that one if you don't have the time/resources for the whole Claremont deal; you can also go back to Claremont's later on too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

X-Men is a trainwreck, especially from the 90s on. Once they became Marvel's cash cow they milked it harder than than an ultra deluxe milking machine. There is no good entry path to X-Men because it's one giant ball of self-referential festering goo. The "best" option is to jump back to 1974 and start working your way forward because it really is that bad. I also have the impression that you wouldn't enjoy it.

There are some blocks of X-Men or corners of their universe that are more accessible because they try to jettison a lot of the baggage but there's so much of it and so much that is considered sacred that even there someone with little to no background will be left going, "What?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Men being so insanely complicated is what actually makes it easier to drop in and out of because most of the writers don't know the full history of these characters. Like, issue 1 of Hickman's relaunch of X-Men features Scott Summers, his wife who's died at least twice, his brother, his other brother he didn't know existed for most of his life and then took over a galaxy and then got shunted into a parallel universe, his dad who is a space pirate, his son who was sent to the future, came back and then killed an older version of himself that also went to the future and came back, his daughter from an alternate timeline, and his wife's boyfriend.

If you're reading an X-Men comic and you don't understand what is happening, feel free to ask, but the explanation is likely to raise even more questions.

Edit: This is the cover I'm talking about.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My introduction to the X-Men was one of those big series encyclopedias that Marvel and DC put out. It worked well enough for child me!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I thought there was some ok stuff with Colossus loses faith and defects to Magneto's side and then Cyclops tries to lobotomize him I think?

And I liked Cyclops and Phoenix where Jean and Scott get sent to the future in clone descendants? bodies, and meet their thousand year old daughter while they raise their son and hide from future Apocalypse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My introduction was the 90s X-Men cartoon. For me that will always be the purest version of the X-Men

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

My introduction was the 90s X-Men cartoon. For me that will always be the purest version of the X-Men

The purest X-Men experience is watching the insanely cool X-Men cartoon and because you love it so much you go and buy an X-Men comic only to discover the issue you bought is all about Maggott

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Madkal posted:

Yeah I’m basically thinking about this and all the dope action figures and trading cards I had when I was like five in 1995 and was hoping that there’d be some sequential art manifestation of that same uncomplicated enjoyment but I think that’s probably not possible and suspect people ITT who think it wouldn’t do it for me are correct

Anyway I just finished volume four of Swamp Thing, the one where it all comes to a head, and it was pretty interesting reading through the bit where they gather all the relevant dc universe sorcerers and have conversations referencing other canon events and characters I have literally never once heard of, so I had to pause every other page and google Sargon, Zatana, the Spectre, Mento (who showed up earlier at least), Baron Winters, etc. that dynamic that assumes the reader is familiar with these guys was extremely present in that arc but I didn’t feel like it was diminished by my ignorance, since the Swamp Thing himself also neither knew nor cared who they were

That aside I really liked the conclusion to the whole apocalyptic storyline. It was more ambivalent and interestingly manifested than pretty much everything else that tries to do the cosmic eschatology schtick and even though I knew the Swamp Thing would be The Guy Who Figured It Out he did so in a compelling way. I’m looking forward to seeing where they can even go from here.

I do gotta say I find Abigail to be generally annoying though, like all her stories are just boring dreams followed by her being victimized in some way, though I just got the part where she goes to Gotham - first time I’ve ever read a comic featuring the city - so I’m hoping some fun stuff happens there, I like it as a setting

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Air Skwirl posted:

If you're reading an X-Men comic and you don't understand what is happening, feel free to ask, but the explanation is likely to raise even more questions.

Edit: This is the cover I'm talking about.

I was gonna say that this is a nice place to jump into X-Men, but, :roflolmao:, it sure got "complicated" over the last four years. I barely keeping up anymore, and I'm reading it monthly!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, some fun stuff happens there.

The big crossover event with the space station was Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was like the grand-daddy of all crossover events and is an extremely bizarre book to read, if bizarre in a way that would later become familiar.

I think if you read the Claremont run on Uncanny X-Men from the start, it would take over a hundred issues for you to run into anything that isn't comprehensively explained in the book itself; I think the only real factoid is that Wolverine worked for the Canadian government and at one point fought the Hulk prior to Chas recruiting him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah if you just start at Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men Volume 1 and just go forward from there it's pretty digestible. I'm rereading it right now through Hoopla which has all of the collections for free if you've got a library card, absolutely goated comic run.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Legendary is doing a Kickstarter for a comic book that is a sequel to Gundam Breaker Battlogue, the Original Net Animation which was the anime of the Gundam Breaker phone game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legendarycomics/gundam-battlogue

It's odd that they aren't showing off any new MS designs, when most of the draw of Gundam Breaker Battlogue was seeing fun new twists of popular Gundam designs.

It's also odd that in literally ever panel featuring an MS they showed, it's off-model

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like, I know there's different art styles and all that and I don't want to be mean, but I'm just saying. If you go to a comic book store tomorrow and pick up one of the Gundam comics currently on the shelves, you'll get interior mechanical art like this

And this is the first page they show in that Kickstarter

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uh huh and how many assistants does the manga artist have, how much are they being paid, and what was their turnaround deadline

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

Uh huh and how many assistants does the manga artist have, how much are they being paid, and what was their turnaround deadline

I don't know how to find most of that information. As I understand it's typical for manga artists to have 2-4 assistants, I don't know, the first and third pictures I posted were monthly and the the second one was every two weeks.

What's interesting is that the Kickstarter doesn't actually list a colorer, inker, or letterer for the new comic. Just the writer and "creator", who in the body of the project it says is doing the artwork. I don't know if that guys is also doing the inking, coloring, etc. or if they have in house people at Legendary they didn't feel the need to credit on the Kickstarter

It also doesn't says how much they're paying him or his deadline.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I sold a Spawn collectors edition hardcover on eBay today and I'm printing out the shipping label and notice it's going to LA and the name is Robert Kirkman so I Google search the address and it's going to Skybound Entertainment offices. Made my day.

Also makes me wonder if this is for his personal collection or if he's going to be working on a Spawn project.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
My LCBS sent something to Rob Liefeld within the last few weeks, and I realized that all the documentaries I've seen either show creators with a storage unit full of poo poo with their name on it or dying in abject poverty.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

D-Pad posted:

So I sold a Spawn collectors edition hardcover on eBay today and I'm printing out the shipping label and notice it's going to LA and the name is Robert Kirkman so I Google search the address and it's going to Skybound Entertainment offices. Made my day.

Also makes me wonder if this is for his personal collection or if he's going to be working on a Spawn project.

Send a little note with it if you want. Friend of my moms sold some comics to Leonardo Dicaprio, and he sent them an autograph.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Send a little note with it if you want. Friend of my moms sold some comics to Leonardo Dicaprio, and he sent them an autograph.

Yeah I am going to send a comic with a return label and a Gemini mailer and a note asking nicely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

I don't know how to find most of that information. As I understand it's typical for manga artists to have 2-4 assistants, I don't know, the first and third pictures I posted were monthly and the the second one was every two weeks.

What's interesting is that the Kickstarter doesn't actually list a colorer, inker, or letterer for the new comic. Just the writer and "creator", who in the body of the project it says is doing the artwork. I don't know if that guys is also doing the inking, coloring, etc. or if they have in house people at Legendary they didn't feel the need to credit on the Kickstarter

It also doesn't says how much they're paying him or his deadline.
Based on that sample page, all those guys are a dude in Brazil or Estonia or something getting $140/pp

which actually might not be a bad rate, I don't know how this all works

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Just in case anyone itt is as big a heavy metal fan as me and wasn’t aware, Richard Corben’s seminal classic Den is getting a hardback release tomorrow, I think it’s the first new printing in like 20+ years and it’s on sale for $31 right now on amazon. Pumped as hell personally I love that story and have only ever read it in pieces via HM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Posted this in the original art thread, but figured reposting it here as well might get a few more eyes on it, Kevin Smith's auctioning off his entire original art collection.

https://twitter.com/MattWagnerComic/status/1696908275617571036?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, Clerks 3 must not have done well at all!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

drat, Clerks 3 must not have done well at all!

4 million box office off a 7 million budget, so no, not really

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

4 million box office off a 7 million budget, so no, not really
I legitimately didn't realize it had a theatrical release at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I legitimately didn't realize it had a theatrical release at all

Apparently most people didn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Apparently most people didn't.

From what I understand it’s strangely depressing and everyone dies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

From what I understand it’s strangely depressing and everyone dies.

I actually liked it BUT the Clerks timeline has been real close to my own life so seeing the chapter end was more effective to me than it might be to others.

Not everyone dies but they do a nasty trick where they telegraph Randall dying after his heart attack but they do a swap and kill of Dante at the end, which is extra fuckin sad because he never accomplished anything in life

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/outsider_comics/status/1696972920680231082

Seattle area goons, Outsider Comics could use your dollars.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just packed a rolling carry-on bag way too full of comics, TPBs, and hardcovers to get signed at Baltimore Comic Con on Saturday. I fly in that morning and fly home that evening.

My agenda of people to meet (even though I've met many of them before):
Brian Bendis
Mark Waid
Arthur Adams
Kevin Maguire
Ron Garney
Jim Cheung
David Mack
Wade Von Grawbadger
Tom King
J.G. Jones
Chris Claremont
Walt Simonson
Louise Simonson
Al Milgrom
Cully Hamner
Bob Wiacek
Koi Pham
Klaus Janson
DANHAUSEN

Has anyone been to Baltimore Comic Con before? The creator guest list is one of the best I've ever seen, like when I attended HeroesCon in 2019. I'm just hoping the Saturday isn't too chaotic and crowded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been a few times and it can get busy, but not too bad.

I forgot it was this weekend and given my wife has covid, I think I'm going to be stuck at home all weekend.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
I went last year on a Saturday and it was pretty tame. Easy to get around, and I only waited 20ish minutes in line for Alan Davis. But the line for Walt Simonson was insane. He was easily the most popular guest, so prep accordingly.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Never been to a con, just does not interest me at all, don't care about getting people to scrawl on my stuff etc. Although looking at that list, even I have to concede that meeting Walt & Weezy would be kinda awesome.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sentinel Red posted:

Never been to a con, just does not interest me at all, don't care about getting people to scrawl on my stuff etc.

I mostly enjoy going through artist alley and getting sketches from random people, but I've gotten a handful of things signed by people who didn't have long lines. Funniest was getting Babs Tarr to sign my copy of her Batgirl comic. I pack like four issues into every bag-and-board, she was very confused why I only got one of them signed. Just wanted to say "hello", not take up her time.

A friend tipped over a water bottle on Templesmith's table at one of my first cons. Helped him clean up and got the gently caress out of there ASAP.

I have a friend who does artist alleys at cons. Before he found a crew to travel with, I got the "pleasure" of helping him unload his car and set everything up, but, hey, I would get in for free!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Same here regarding artist sketches. I like supporting unknown people who are doing cool stuff. I try and pick up small indie books too. I haven't been able to attend a con since COVID started and I really miss it.

I've never gotten anything signed or anything but I did meet Alan Davis and he was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even with the Long Beach comic con being a ghost town, I had to sign up for a random lottery to get a chance at a Kevin Nolan sketch (my number didn’t get called).