Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

They don't even, cannabis producers make up the majority of creditor protection applications (aka bankruptcies) and their largest creditor is almost always CRA, the feds have literally managed to make the Laffer curve real through sheer force of stupidity.

Excise was set at "one dollar OR ten per cent, whichever is greater" because the publicly traded stockbois who ran the national pump and dump known as medical cannabis in 2015 told the feds that their business plan was to wholesale weed for $14 a gram. Of course nobody stopped to think what would happen if the average wholesale price was, say, ONE dollars, and therefore excise was DOUBLING that price, because... they were getting the best expert advice at the time.

Dudes like, say, Chuck Rifici, who in addition to being the CEO of Tweed, a medical cannabis company that was lobbying the Feds hard to let companies like Tweed have privileged early access to the recreational market, was also totally coincidentally the CFO of the Liberal Party of Canada during Trudeau's surprise election win.

Totally. Coincidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's just good business, that is.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think there's a nepotism option so just pick the wealthiest candidate like a normal democracy.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

eXXon posted:

I don't think there's a nepotism option so just pick the wealthiest candidate like a normal democracy.

Dad?? How could you???

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Is any of them even bilingual?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Is any of them even bilingual?

I speak English and Chondathan.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

DaysBefore posted:

I emailed my city councillor once. He was very nice and got back to me right away. I guess I love voting now

My city councillor is very engaged with "community outreach" insofar as he frequently posts on the neighbourhood FB groups, though it is very funny to see how many things are completely out of his hands, since I live near a long stretch of land owned by Parks Canada in the middle of Montréal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DaysBefore posted:

I emailed my city councillor once. He was very nice and got back to me right away. I guess I love voting now

I'm in a discord group chat with 3 city councilors I routley chat and meme with. Democracy rules.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'm in a discord group chat with 3 city councilors I routley chat and meme with. Democracy rules.

It’s you you’re the fuckin deep state

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

My NDP MLA is a monarchist :confused:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

Lmao wtf.

My riding has one of the two only green MP's and the guy is hella involved in the community and has done some good poo poo regarding disability benefits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

yippee cahier posted:

How?

Also monarchists are loving wild. Some of my parents friends are, and they gave my parents some Duke and Duchess of Cambridge tea as a 50th wedding anniversary gift.

Why?

(Everyone else gave them booze)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I tried to communicate with my mpp circa late 2019 but I'm somewhat convinced she was a literal ghost and I think my Bell Moblity Seance plan had run out of minutes so I couldn't get through

https://www.insidehalton.com/news/r...cef94d8014.html

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I used to volunteer for Kennedy Stewart back when he was a candidate for the NDP. We all know how that worked out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been involved with the ONDP in the past and despite that experience I still vote for them.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I've considered getting involved just so there can be at least one additional voice, but I'm also probably going to move around to find work so I don't see how I can have a claim in any one riding.

Still gonna vote for 'em because gently caress any Liberals for thinking they're owed my vote just because they're not the Conservatives.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I've been involved with the ONDP in the past and despite that experience I still vote for them.

lol same

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I poll called for the ndp in the past. I got told to gently caress off a lot, but my candidate won our riding and afaik has been the mla for that region since 2005. I credit my hard work for his victory.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
In lovely Ontario news:

Earlier this summer the Ontario government reversed a ban on penned dog hunting areas. The excuse was to allow the training of hunting dogs in penned areas with live animals such as coyotes, foxes, and rabbits. These animals are trapped in the area with no escape and the dogs are allowed to harass and chase them. That was supposed to be it as if it's not bad enough but of course, that's not only what is happening.

There is some hidden camera footage exposed of the animals being caught and torn apart. It seems hard to get the public to give a poo poo about this for some reason. Posts are getting deleted from r/ontario and r/canada.

Here is a good writeup about this. Obviously the video in the article is NSFW.
https://animaljustice.ca/exposes/undercover-dog-hunting-pen

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DrBox posted:

In lovely Ontario news:

Earlier this summer the Ontario government reversed a ban on penned dog hunting areas. The excuse was to allow the training of hunting dogs in penned areas with live animals such as coyotes, foxes, and rabbits. These animals are trapped in the area with no escape and the dogs are allowed to harass and chase them. That was supposed to be it as if it's not bad enough but of course, that's not only what is happening.

There is some hidden camera footage exposed of the animals being caught and torn apart. It seems hard to get the public to give a poo poo about this for some reason. Posts are getting deleted from r/ontario and r/canada.

Here is a good writeup about this. Obviously the video in the article is NSFW.
https://animaljustice.ca/exposes/undercover-dog-hunting-pen
I thought r/canada had been taken over by chuds and that's why lots of people were moving to r/onguardforthee

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought r/canada had been taken over by chuds and that's why lots of people were moving to r/onguardforthee

yep /r/ontario and /r/canada are astroturfed with chuds from and fans of Ontario Strong or Canada Proud or whatever the right wing internet make-things-worse groups

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly R/Alberta is actually fairly decent these days.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Make me IK. Im Canadian, only lurk, own a house, run a small business, I'm the perfect candidate

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

queeb posted:

Make me IK. Im Canadian, only lurk, own a house, run a small business, I'm the perfect candidate

How many official languages do you speak?

BTW that new Canadaland about the Chinese interference not scandal was fantastic and everyone should listen to it. They break down the main stories and how much bullshit is behind them with a healthy dose of "why should we trust CSIS anyways?"

Good poo poo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

queeb posted:

Perfect candidate for the OCP maybe. :v:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I live in southwestern Ontario too so I know how important I am!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

When people say "southwestern Ontario" are they talking about Kenora, Thunder Bay, or Windsor?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McGavin posted:

When people say "southwestern Ontario" are they talking about Kenora, Thunder Bay, or Windsor?

Detroit.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

McGavin posted:

Nobody calls Thunder Bay or Kenora south-anything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Another Bill posted:

How many official languages do you speak?

BTW that new Canadaland about the Chinese interference not scandal was fantastic and everyone should listen to it. They break down the main stories and how much bullshit is behind them with a healthy dose of "why should we trust CSIS anyways?"

Good poo poo.

sucks having to play a podcast for a tts program to turn it into a format i can read but it sounds like i ought to for this one

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

sucks having to play a podcast for a tts program to turn it into a format i can read but it sounds like i ought to for this one

:catstare:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So apparently there have been convoys formed in parts of rural BC to gently caress with the firefighters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9917076/shuswap-convoy-wildfire-crews-safety-impact-bc/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So apparently there have been convoys formed in parts of rural BC to gently caress with the firefighters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9917076/shuswap-convoy-wildfire-crews-safety-impact-bc/

i hate this country sometimes

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

gently caress the experts, I should be FREE to burn to death in my home if I want to!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mederlock posted:

Surprisingly R/Alberta is actually fairly decent these days.

That’s the R/Alberta Advantage

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
"No charges will be laid"

Good job!
Real helpful!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

i hate this country

FTFY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hey come on, sometimes this nation is pretty cool, like when i screw my eyes shut real tight and scream oh canada (the jully black version) as loud as i can WHILE BLOCKING OUT LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE AND EMPTYING MY HEAD OF ALL THOUGHTS BUT PATRIOTISM. and then i come back to the real world and see a galen weston branded thing and my blood pressure skyrockets to infinity.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The galen weston branded thing is your own reflection in your monitor, which went to sleep while you were belting out the national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

The galen weston branded thing is your own reflection in your monitor, which went to sleep while you were belting out the national anthem.

gently caress