Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Human Tornada posted:

Everyone before me was pretty on point but if you're dead set on using measurements I would estimate I used:

Worcestershire 1.5 T
Fish sauce 1 T
Soy sauce 1 T
Black pepper (fresh cracked) 1 t
Hot sauce .5 T
Peychauds 12 shakes
Dried thyme 1 t
Bay leaves 2
Paprika 1.5 T
Kashmiri chili .75 t
Filé 1 t

Good luck and god bless

Thank you for this. I'll try to remember to report back with what amounts I find work well for me, based off of these portions. I'll tell you right now, I was not expecting 12 shakes of bitters. I'd have expected like 4 or so. Everything else seems a bit lower than what I'd have expected, more or less. But, this is why I ask these questions. It never hurts to verify ahead of time. I'd have hated to have made this, hoping for delicious food for the week, and have it turn out wildly off in flavor the next day, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

First times with a recipe are pretty intimidating. Cajun food is very amenable to seasoning at multiple points during the cooking process and to taste. As long as you are vigilant not to burn anything too badly and not add too much salt youll end up with something good and itll be even better the 2nd time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
See, it’s definitely all personal preference. I wouldn’t put anything more than 2-3 shakes of Peychauds in anything, if at all. it has a very strong note that can be quite unpleasant.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah do it if it sounds good but that's not a standard gumbo ingredient especially in that quantity

also filé would traditionally be added at the very end, when you've taken it off the heat. i usually use at least a couple teaspoons, it has a pretty delicate, green tea/green herb flavor, and the zatarain's stuff they sell in grocery stores always tastes very faded and old compared to buying some from a spice company online

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 26, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah Zatarain’s file just tastes like dust to me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Red Stick Spice Co. does some great stuff, highly recommend.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah Zatarain’s file just tastes like dust to me

yeah it's kinda like buying some ancient jar of McCormick Bay Leaves where they're brown and papery and you're like "is this literally adding any flavor at all i can't tell"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Good time to remind folks they can buy and grow their own bay bushes at home!

A fresh bay leaf added to jasmine rice before cooking it is awesome to ladle some etoufee or gumbo over and adds a nice surprise element to the usual prep.

https://thegrowers-exchange.com/products/her-bay

Lots of other online sources to buy one. They need a pretty sunny spot if indoors. We move ours out to the deck during the warmer months and it produces pretty well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sure why not

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That Works posted:

Good time to remind folks they can buy and grow their own bay bushes at home!

My mom has one that was a big disappointment -- the leaves have almost no aromatics in them. You'd have to use a whole branch just for a pot of rice. She thinks it must be a variety made for decorative planting or something.

She didn't get it from the internet, but from a local place. Though the tag did claim it was herbal. So if anyone is interested in this make sure to double check.

eke out posted:

yeah it's kinda like buying some ancient jar of McCormick Bay Leaves where they're brown and papery and you're like "is this literally adding any flavor at all i can't tell"

The aromatics in bay leaves slowly vaporize over time, so yeah that and tarragon are the things you toss after a year or two if you haven't used them.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The_Doctor posted:

Red Stick Spice Co. does some great stuff, highly recommend.

Whoa, I thought that sounded familiar. I used to live across the street from their old store and went in there all the time. It was a cool little shop and the owner (I assumed) was really proud of her selection.

I was disappointed to see they were gone last time I was in BR but apparently they just moved up the road.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Trip report:

Gumbo was made and has been getting eaten all week. Flavor-wise, it turned out pretty dang good. But gumbo always turns out good, so that's not unusual.The different herbs and spices and the like added a bit of intrigue, but I think I need to up the amounts for next time. I could taste everything, but it was just pretty subtle. I used all of the listed amounts except for the bitters, which I did 8 shakes of.

One thing that did happen was that I almost ruined the roux. I have an electric stove that had an apparently failing coil that I used for this, and it burned out right as I got the stock into the pot. Apparently, while I was making the roux, the coil was busy burning itself up, and blackened the bottom of the dutch oven right under my nose. But thankfully, I was able to gently scrape out the roux into a separate pan, carefully clean the crud out of the bottom, and then continue on. The only downside was that the non-burnt roux didn't get as dark as I normally make it. Ah well.

I ended up making far and away too much gumbo for one guy to eat in a week, so I brought the remainder in to work and split it amongst the crew. It got rave reviews, so that's good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

neogeo0823 posted:

Trip report:

Gumbo was made and has been getting eaten all week. Flavor-wise, it turned out pretty dang good. But gumbo always turns out good, so that's not unusual.The different herbs and spices and the like added a bit of intrigue, but I think I need to up the amounts for next time. I could taste everything, but it was just pretty subtle. I used all of the listed amounts except for the bitters, which I did 8 shakes of.

One thing that did happen was that I almost ruined the roux. I have an electric stove that had an apparently failing coil that I used for this, and it burned out right as I got the stock into the pot. Apparently, while I was making the roux, the coil was busy burning itself up, and blackened the bottom of the dutch oven right under my nose. But thankfully, I was able to gently scrape out the roux into a separate pan, carefully clean the crud out of the bottom, and then continue on. The only downside was that the non-burnt roux didn't get as dark as I normally make it. Ah well.

I ended up making far and away too much gumbo for one guy to eat in a week, so I brought the remainder in to work and split it amongst the crew. It got rave reviews, so that's good.

You always have the option of oven roux - it takes noticeably longer, but is apparently much more consistent and less prone to burning. Plenty of recipes online, or I'm sure someone here has a link to one they like.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Shooting Blanks posted:

You always have the option of oven roux - it takes noticeably longer, but is apparently much more consistent and less prone to burning. Plenty of recipes online, or I'm sure someone here has a link to one they like.

It's basically impossible to mess up this way and you can watch a movie or do anything else around the house while it's cooking. Equal parts flour to oil at 350 degrees for 11/2 to 2 hours, set a timer and stir once every half hour. At the end you might end up with a little extra oil, just pour it off and you're good to go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Where’s the fun in that???

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can get roux in a jar if you live in a civilized part of the country. It’s fine. I’m sure you can order it if you live in some benighted corner of the country where roux isn’t readily available. Homemade is a little better but the ability to whip up some lazy instant pot gumbo is really nice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not really cajun, but it is from New Orleans so close enough. Here's a muffuletta I made. Well, sort of. I made the bread and olive salad and the rest was assembly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks pretty on point!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Not really cajun, but it is from New Orleans so close enough. Here's a muffuletta I made. Well, sort of. I made the bread and olive salad and the rest was assembly.

Want

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mufalettas are the only muffs I eat

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Safety Factor posted:

gnnff

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I posted a different "spicy sauce" recipe in the general thread from my new favorite dystopian cookbook Encore! Recipes from Hong Kong Kitchens (a fundraiser for the HK philharmonic orchestra) from 1983.

Thought I'd share this one here: Louisiana Okra and Chicken Gumbo

2 lbs. fresh or frozen okra
3-4 lbs chicken
8 tomatoes
2 pints boiling water
1 bunch parsley
1 large onion
2 tbsp butter
salt
cayenne pepper

cook okra, then chicken, add everything else and simmer for 1 hour.

Courtesy of Lady Kadoorie; serves 8-10.

In case you wanna change up your game with a British colonial interpretations of cajun food

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I have a weird urge to make that just to see how boring it is in reality. Maybe follow it literally and throw whole tomatoes and a whole onion in it, not chop the parsley.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
gonna guess it'll end up kinda close the the infamous salsa chicken slow cooker recipe that made its rounds here years ago.

the actual recipe did include steps to "chop yo' veggies" but I couldn't be bothered to type that out :D

edit: if you do decide to waste good produce on this garbage, please post pics

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It’ll be more like a bland, soupy chicken creole I suspect.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got the week off from work and heard the Wu-Tang Clan is playing at New Orleans Jazz Fest this year.

It's only a few hours drive for me. Should I go y/n?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Full disclosure, I haven't been to Jazz Fest since uhhh 2007-ish? Mostly due to not living there anymore. But yes.

Not for the big name acts though. Congo Square and the WWOZ Jazz Tent were my jams. The blues tent is cool too. Don't miss Kermit Ruffins or the brass bands.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I got the week off from work and heard the Wu-Tang Clan is playing at New Orleans Jazz Fest this year.

It's only a few hours drive for me. Should I go y/n?

They already played dude

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They already played dude

well poop

Who else is playing still?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Sunday's lineup looks sick. Treme Brass Band, Trombone Shorty, The Radiators, Tom Jones, Delfeayo Maralis, and HERBIE loving HANCOCK AHHHHH

Just stop dithering and go, I'm so jealous now. Half the fun of Jazzfest is wandering around and hearing new poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Discussion Quorum posted:

Sunday's lineup looks sick. Treme Brass Band, Trombone Shorty, The Radiators, Tom Jones, Delfeayo Maralis, and HERBIE loving HANCOCK AHHHHH

Just stop dithering and go, I'm so jealous now. Half the fun of Jazzfest is wandering around and hearing new poo poo.

You forgot Ne-Yo. :stare:

yeah I'mma have to go to that show

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just remember it’s a bunch of stages, lots of acts overlap or are playing at the same time.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I was just gifted a giant bag of frozen crawfish! Now, what should I make? I was thinking etoufee or jambalaya? Anyone got any go-to, fairly easy recipes for those?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This is my go to etoufee recipe. It’s for shrimp, but it’s the sauce that’s the important part.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah, my first instinct with frozen crawfish is etoufee. That said, I think crawfish go great in empanadas and dumplings, too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks! Made that etoufee tonight and it was great over rice but seemed overly acidic when I tried it while it was cooking. Was still a big hit, so thanks a lot!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I fell like I undercook my gumbo roux. If anything it's a bit darker than what I've seen on the last few pages but I've seen it even darker, like dark chocolate "how is that not burnt" dark. Check out Just Wilson's for instance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I fell like I undercook my gumbo roux. If anything it's a bit darker than what I've seen on the last few pages but I've seen it even darker, like dark chocolate "how is that not burnt" dark. Check out Just Wilson's for instance.

There’s no need to do that. You’re just running the risk that it’s bitter, separates, or otherwise ruins things. Getting it a little darker than milk chocolate will work fine, especially if you add onions to it for a while before you add stock.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Gonna have to disagree. That looks like good gumbo, but there is a huge difference in flavor as the roux gets darker, which I personally vastly prefer.

I have burned it once and it separated/got bitter, but every other batch is incredible. It’s personal preference, and completely worth a darker batch to see if you like it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Gonna have to disagree. That looks like good gumbo, but there is a huge difference in flavor as the roux gets darker, which I personally vastly prefer.

I have burned it once and it separated/got bitter, but every other batch is incredible. It’s personal preference, and completely worth a darker batch to see if you like it better.

Absolutely, I agree with you. Everyone should try different things to see where the line is at what temp and using different methods of adding vegetables. If you never cross the line, you don’t know where it is and how to get right up close to it.

I’m not a professional cook but I have made a lot of gumbo and have tried countless different ways of making roux, using lard/oil/rendered fat, high heat/low and slow, different stock, adding stock to roux or vice versa, adding onions alone to the roux or with all the trinity, browning chicken in the oil before making roux, it’s really endless. Gumbo is the best for this. There are as many gumbos as cooks who make it multiplied by how many times each cook makes it. Of course, nobody can dispute that my gumbo is better than yours ;)

I actually think we are talking about very similar things. Pictures online are hard to convey true color. Just google “colors of roux” to see how wildly different the colors look depending on the photographer.

And if you try to get it to the shade that many videos and pictures online say is just right, you’re running an unnecessary risk in my experience.

Here’s a couple pictures from the internet when you look for “gumbo roux”:

What a beautiful rich brown color. But if you make something on your stove that gets to that color before you put in vegetables, you better know what you’re doing. It’s probably not going to be ideal and may even be terrible by the time it cooks with the vegetables. Those roux were probably stopped well before they got to that color and left to darken as they cooled.

This looks burned to me but it’s presented as perfect.

If you get the roux on your stove to match the “dark brown roux” color from this scale, I don’t think you’ll like how it turns out.

The overwhelming share of excellent gumbos I’ve made use a roux that looks like carob, walnut, pecan, or syrup on this chart. The ones that turned out bad, burned, separated (not burned but just extremely difficult or impossible to really incorporate), or tasted inferior were ones that I took the roux to brown, chocolate, or darker before adding stock.

The one I posted up there was “penny” colored from the chart before adding very finely diced trinity and cooking until it got to more of a walnut. Then added it to stock. It was pretty excellent.

I just think it’s better to walk up to the line from a lighter roux than try and find the line by crawfishing back from overdoing it.