Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

so if the trolley is moving and air is going into the portal on the front of it, and out the other portal into clear air, that would significantly reduce air resistance on the trolley

probably more realistic than the hyperloop anyway

this is how Culture ships work in atmosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's B bitch. The portal game conserves your speed/momentum when u jump in and motion is relative ala albert loving eigenvalue

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm trying to remember if it conserves your motion relative to the portal specifically or to the level as a whole. i think it might be the latter.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk you fall in hole fast and come out fast

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

right, but is that because you are moving fast relative to the portal, or because you are moving fast in the world? your velocity remains the same but the direction changes when you pass through, so where's the frame of reference? :2bong:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

man that was an effective nerd snipe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think there are no moving portals even in portal 2. supposedly they’re implemented but have really wonky physics

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

right, but is that because you are moving fast relative to the portal, or because you are moving fast in the world? your velocity remains the same but the direction changes when you pass through, so where's the frame of reference? :2bong:

it's u vs portal. All frames of reference are relative. That's relativity binch

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think it has to be B, imagine it's a metal rod, if it doesn't enter and exit at the same speed relative to the portal it would be deformed since locally space is continuous

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Beginning to think there might be some problems with these new "portal" inventions

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

i'm trying to remember if it conserves your motion relative to the portal specifically or to the level as a whole. i think it might be the latter.

It has to otherwise you'd be creating energy by going from stationary (tied to tracks) to flying. Unless the tram transferred momentum to you but that doesn't make sense.

frame of reference has to be global or wrt to the tram but if wrt to the tram the portal exit is also moving at the same speed as the people so it would still be 0 for the people.

I think

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 23, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

well-read undead posted:

yeah, good derail

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It has to otherwise you'd be creating energy by going from stationary (tied to tracks) to flying. Unless the tram transferred momentum to you but that doesn't make sense.

frame of reference has to be global or wrt to the tram but if wrt to the tram the portal edit is also moving at the same speed as the people so it would still be 0 for the people.

I think

the one thing we know from the portal games is that locally across the portal distances are not distorted. If they don't come out of the portal fast then they'd be crushed going into it.

this may create other problems like violating conservation of momentum but so be it

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

:aaaaa:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lol the implementation of this would be hilarious, imagine getting a headline of "tiktok to be banned in the UK", but also every company spamming the government with patch notes for CSS updates

not to mention this implicitly banning web based apps and half the internet

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

today on elderly plutocrats legislating technology...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

among other issues, every single data leak etc. would be blamed on the govt, "we had a fix but were waiting for approval"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the us is probably going to try this poo poo too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

well-read undead posted:

:boom:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Midjack posted:

the us is probably going to try this poo poo too.

probably not at the federal level, at least not with the current executive branch. i could totally see it happening at the state level, though

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

vaguely reminds me of Pompeo's "Clean Network" initiative

it's still going on, albeit much quieter under the current US administration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clean_Network

please ignore the implication that networks outside of this are unclean

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

well-read undead posted:

today on elderly plutocrats legislating technology...

not directly related but elderly people that didn't have the expertise in cyber security resulted in rooftop rooftop solar PV permit applications in berkeley having to be submitted electronically IN PERSON ON A USB DRIVE for about 3 years (2014-2017ish). for 3 years the berkeley building department was just plugging random usb drives into their city computers

also if anyone wants a blueski invite, i've got one, PM me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

I want to say it is A, but also, the people are moving through the portal at a high rate of speed relative to the portal, so maybe it is B.

hmm yeah but where do they get their momentum from?

if they were flying at the train, they’d keep their own momentum

so to end up flying out the portal they’d need to get momentum from somewhere?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

It's B bitch. The portal game conserves your speed/momentum when u jump in and motion is relative ala albert loving eigenvalue

yeah except where does their momentum come from?

f=ma and they’ve just accelerated a shitload so something has to supply that force

if you said that the train loses some momentum and gives it to the victims then yeah spose that works

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

p=mv binch

velocity is relative so it's no different than the people hitting a stationary portal at train speed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's the theory of relativity. For real, pretty much

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

imagine instead of a train it was a piece of plywood with a portal on each side. meaning the exit is also moving at the same speed as the entrance portal. would you agree this portal arrangement is fundamentally no different than a hoola-hoop? if so, you would expect the portal to travel around the people and they would remain in the exact same position on the other side, because the exit portal is also moving, canceling out any relative movement. with that in mind, it might make more sense that they would be thrown out of the exit if it was stationary

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm I think maybe it IS B

BUT not because any of you convinced me! I concluded all by myself

by imaging if someone lowered a hoop over your head slowly. you’d slowly rise out of the other portal. maybe though because you were being pushed rather than velocity being given to you

but my other theory is a third party observer goes from seeing a moving train and still people - and then observes the people moving relative them. if velocity is relative, where did that increase in relative velocity come from ?

the portal portee relationship is not symmetrical

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m
convinced it’s both AND neither at the same
time

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

i’m
convinced it’s both AND neither at the same
time

it’s A

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS
Okay but if I stick my dick thru the portal will the trolley suck me off

Let's stick to the important questions gang

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

well in that scenario we have to redo all the math because quantum mechanics apply

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

well in that scenario we have to redo all the math because quantum mechanics apply
oh if you think it's small now just wait till I'm finished

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

oh if you think it's small now just wait till I'm finished

way to invent another unsolvable problem :argh:

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

way to invent another unsolvable problem :argh:
aaaaaay

😎
👉👉

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Farty Crabcakes posted:

oh so that's why it's called A Streetcar Named Desire

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

MiniFoo posted:

oh so that's why it's called A Streetcar Named Desire
yeah and also a Streetcar Named Ur Mom was already taken

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Farty Crabcakes posted:

TROLLEY PROBLEM SUCKED ME OFF?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

the correct answer is they get splattered by the trolley, you can’t portal a moving surface

:hmmyes:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

TROLLEY PROBLEM SUCKED ME OFF?!?

:eyepop: