Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did any of the “let’s re-edit Kenobi into a movie” projects ever get released? Were any of them any good? And by “any good” I mean “coherent”.

I like Ahsoka so far, but the first two episodes definitely could have been condensed down into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That combination spaceship chase and lightsaber fight at the shipyard was really dope. I like this show.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did any of the “let’s re-edit Kenobi into a movie” projects ever get released? Were any of them any good? And by “any good” I mean “coherent”.

I like Ahsoka so far, but the first two episodes definitely could have been condensed down into one.

A bunch of them have come out, I’ve only watched one but it doesn’t really work as a film since it has all these TV act breaks and end of episode cliffhangers built into it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Sabine’s introductory scene is an odd one- she’s being a pain in the rear end to seemingly decent people who are trying to honor her and her friends after presumably agreeing to be a part of the ceremony, and all for no apparent reason. While I do think we’re meant to read her as being petulant here, the scene is framed as if she’s doing something cool (with the rock music, slow pan up to reveal all her punk signifiers, bike trick, pilots shaking their heads at what a maverick she is, etc.).

I get that this character (a near 30-year-old seasoned war veteran) is meant to have some growing to do over the course of this season, but I feel like we’re really getting off on the wrong foot with her here.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 24, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like they should have had her ready to speak but then she looks at ezra in the painting and bails on the ceremony out of like a panic attack or something, to make it a bit more explicit she's not being an rear end in a top hat for no reason (if that was even the intent?). But then you lose The Character Reveal on the highway which they were clearly pretty proud of

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The scene maybe works better if you start with the highway reveal before establishing any context and have her pulling a similar elaborate escape, and then comedically subverting it by revealing that she’s just bailing on some social obligation and having them shrug and say “well, I guess she’s not coming.”

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Snowmanatee posted:

Starting in media res with a lot of characters who have past relationships only hinted at or explained in an opening crawl is extremely Star Wars. This is how A New Hope was structured! I think two episodes in to Ahsoka is too early to say if they'll fumble it.

it's fine and good to have characters with past relationships (just look at andor!), but it sucks to rely on goodwill from a different show instead of developing a world or its characters. the first two eps don't give me much hope.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's one of his relatively few live-action leading roles.

Relatively few? I'd go even lower and say there can be only one.

E: beaten, of course

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One thing I'd like to call out is re-using Morgan from Mando. That was an episode I really enjoyed for a lot of reasons (Michael Biehn being a big one), and I really liked seeing a surviving Nightsister. Her fight with Ahsoka had some great choreography, and I started losing my poo poo when Ahsoka said "Where is Grand...". At "Admiral" I completed the process and just fanboi squeed through "Thrawn".

It helped that some wonderful goon redubbed her fight with Ahsoka with the Kill Bill music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeYUEMONPQ

And speaking of good lightsaber fight choreography, the fan film Shrouded Destiny has some really clever moves and excellent stunt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB72G7JdW-I

The Danish National Symphony orchestra contributed some music to the project. Every season they do a weekend of movie soundtracks to complement the classical pieces, and their performance of Star Wars music slaps, start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we3VEI5pmqo

And since they're awesome, and it's a fantastic score, also have their performance of Ennio Morricone's theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

The soprano does work.
The mezzo soprano does work.
The steel guitar player brings tears to my eyes.
The oboist does work.
Hell, the guy in the back slapping two boards together is doing work. I'd love to see his sheet music.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mllaneza posted:

And since they're awesome, and it's a fantastic score, also have their performance of Ennio Morricone's theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

The soprano does work.
The mezzo soprano does work.
The steel guitar player brings tears to my eyes.
The oboist does work.
Hell, the guy in the back slapping two boards together is doing work. I'd love to see his sheet music.

I'd hate to be the person that had to play the part of the hanged man (1:04)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I seem to recall in rebels at least once the imperials landed much larger ships at the end of it and they transported stuff on the highway but I might be inventing this

That was my guess, too.

Either that, or the city engineers put them in to future-proof the city if it ever expands out that way.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Also where is everyone getting that Baylan’s apprentice is his daughter? Absolutely nothing points to that?

Sorry, this might have been my bad.

I mentioned that the duo would work well for particular father/daughter cosplayers I know. An edgy star wars daughter and brutish star wars dad.

I did not mean to imply that the characters have a father/daughter relationship themselves. Nothing in the show portrays them to be for me, at least so far. It just seems like very standard dark master/apprentice dynamics to me... But definitely a bit of depth to Baylan that I'm interested in.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

General Dog posted:

Sabine’s introductory scene is an odd one- she’s being a pain in the rear end to seemingly decent people who are trying to honor her and her friends after presumably agreeing to be a part of the ceremony, and all for no apparent reason. While I do think we’re meant to read her as being petulant here, the scene is framed as if she’s doing something cool (with the rock music, slow pan up to reveal all her punk signifiers, bike trick, pilots shaking their heads at what a maverick she is, etc.).

I get that this character (a near 30-year-old seasoned war veteran) is meant to have some growing to do over the course of this season, but I feel like we’re really getting off on the wrong foot with her here.

this was where episode 1 kind of lost me. Baylan's intro scene was really good and it worked really well with Ahsoka doing an Indiana Jones/The Mummy ruin exploration and fight against HKs was a good time. But Sabine's intro just felt really wrong for how we saw her at the end of Rebels. For everyone in here saying this is Rebels season 5, that's sort of the vibe I was expecting and Sabine was never this disrespectful to her friends at all throughout the original run, and that was while she was a teenager.

also, the Sabotage scene in 09 Star Trek was loving stupid then and it's still loving stupid 14 years later. Demonstrating that your main character is not a team player and has the privilege to just be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone isn't endearing. At the start of the scene when they were preparing to introduce her, I was expecting they were going to cut to her setting up a bunch of paint bombs as a surprise for the ceremony, that would've been a better way to show her as being rebellious and thumbing her nose at authority, or whatever, plus that was her whole deal in Rebels. I was watching the show with my dad, who hadn't watched any of Rebels, and I was trying to find a way to explain that one of Sabine's big things was art and, specifically, graffiti but it never really came up. We see some lothcat doodles around but otherwise Sabine didn't do anything artsy and I don't think they explained that she painted the mural (at least, I thought that was what happened in the Rebels epilogue).

Episode 2 was better, Chopper was awesome and we better be seeing more of him if Hera's part of the gang. I was a little miffed that Ahsoka let the goofus inquisitor have his lightsaber back, I mean, in the move that she dodges it flying past her, she could've sliced the thing in half and he'd be stuck looking like the tool he is.

Overall I am enjoying this more than Obi-Wan, but there's a bunch of stupid poo poo that almost borders on character assassination to me so hopefully episode 3 is better

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Jerusalem posted:

It always kind of blew my mind that Star Wars* was set in a single galaxy (far far away, a long time ago) and the kind of casual reveal that they're going to another galaxy presumably this season felt like it should have been a bigger deal?

* Star Trek too, I know galaxies are REALLY loving BIG so it's silly to feel like the respective series are limiting themselves, but it does make me think about how much else is going on in the universe completely unrelated to the big stuff like "The Force" which supposedly makes up and surrounds and is part of EVERYTHING.

My bet is that the other galaxy is the milky way, and Thrawn and Ezra are on earth trying to gently caress dinosaurs.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

G-III posted:

That combination spaceship chase and lightsaber fight at the shipyard was really dope. I like this show.

I thought the spaceship chase part was where Hera came across most like Hera as she was on Rebels. I guess it makes sense that being General Syndulla changed her some, but it was cool to see her and Chop do their thing.

I'm really enjoying Sabine, although I wonder if it hits different if these are really your first impressions of the character. One of the things we know from Rebels is that Sabine is incredibly hard on herself, and gets most contrary and prickly when that's what she's doing, so I'm sort of assuming she's been kicking herself in the rear end for years over not having been able to find Ezra and/or what happened to Mandalore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

Overall I am enjoying this more than Obi-Wan, but there's a bunch of stupid poo poo that almost borders on character assassination to me so hopefully episode 3 is better

I think there's more to unpack with Sabine in the gap of time we're unaware of that encompasses what happened between her and Ahsoka. She's clearly not in the proper headspace until the zeffo orb comes into play and gives her a newfound sense of urgency and motivation, so her going against Ahsoka's request to not take map and her ditching the stuffy higher ups on Lothal aligns with someone going through some poo poo imo.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Giant Tourtiere posted:

I thought the spaceship chase part was where Hera came across most like Hera as she was on Rebels. I guess it makes sense that being General Syndulla changed her some, but it was cool to see her and Chop do their thing.

This is true but at the same time I was thinking that a transport with two guns is hardly a threat to Hera and Chop in the Phantom2

She could probably have made that approach to an ISD

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

maybealabia posted:

This is true but at the same time I was thinking that a transport with two guns is hardly a threat to Hera and Chop in the Phantom2

She could probably have made that approach to an ISD

I thought about that also, but I guess the challenge was getting close enough for Chopper to put the tracking device on it since the Phantom2 doesn't have a tracking device shooter thing.

I liked that they talked through why she couldn't just shoot down what was effectively a space flatbed; 'we're over a populated area and it would be bad' should probably come up more in SW pew pew scenes. (Not that the Empire would ever give a gently caress, but Our Heroes probably should, at least sometimes)

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I feel the ship sizes are a bit wonky in this? The interior of Ahsoka's ship seems massive amd a lot bigger than the outside.

The witch lady's ship seems really small in comparison and you see like 3 people leave it in one shot.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Giant Tourtiere posted:

I thought about that also, but I guess the challenge was getting close enough for Chopper to put the tracking device on it since the Phantom2 doesn't have a tracking device shooter thing.

I liked that they talked through why she couldn't just shoot down what was effectively a space flatbed; 'we're over a populated area and it would be bad' should probably come up more in SW pew pew scenes. (Not that the Empire would ever give a gently caress, but Our Heroes probably should, at least sometimes)

Especially given that there isn't a war on

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

General Dog posted:

As someone from the not-seen-rebels-pool, it didn't seem particularly strange to me per se, since I don't know the character. The prison guard from Shawshank turned mayor (or whatever he was) acted like a bit of a jerk calling the cops on her, the ceremony probably doesn't shake the fate of worlds, and it was mostly played as a joke by shoving one random dude in front of the cameras. The chase scene was pretty fun, though I'll admit to being biased because of the adorable scared robot, and later on in the episode they really heavily underline that she's super sad about the missing bassist, and within the confines of the episode her behaviour made sense to me.

It read to me that the entire band is kinda dysfunctional in general, the friendly robot picked at Sabine's insecurities and it worked, Ahsoka herself reads like a bit of a jerk Jedi with traumas. And the friendly robot kinda conceded being annoying by annoyingly attributing it to his logic circuits. Is the green lady a part of the band proper, I'm not exactly clear on this to be honest? But either way, she was cool with doctor Taub by being extremely incredulous, and was pretty laser-focused in her fight scene, so she'd be the exception I guess!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rappaport posted:

As someone from the not-seen-rebels-pool, it didn't seem particularly strange to me per se, since I don't know the character. The prison guard from Shawshank turned mayor (or whatever he was) acted like a bit of a jerk calling the cops on her, the ceremony probably doesn't shake the fate of worlds, and it was mostly played as a joke by shoving one random dude in front of the cameras. The chase scene was pretty fun, though I'll admit to being biased because of the adorable scared robot, and later on in the episode they really heavily underline that she's super sad about the missing bassist, and within the confines of the episode her behaviour made sense to me.

It read to me that the entire band is kinda dysfunctional in general, the friendly robot picked at Sabine's insecurities and it worked, Ahsoka herself reads like a bit of a jerk Jedi with traumas. And the friendly robot kinda conceded being annoying by annoyingly attributing it to his logic circuits. Is the green lady a part of the band proper, I'm not exactly clear on this to be honest? But either way, she was cool with doctor Taub by being extremely incredulous, and was pretty laser-focused in her fight scene, so she'd be the exception I guess!

Green lady is the band leader. Ahsoka was the already popular friend from another band that did a few shows with them. Ezra was the newest member that was annoying at first but rising to be the standout star.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kanan is the drummer who exploded

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Giant Tourtiere posted:

'we're over a populated area and it would be bad' should probably come up more in SW pew pew scenes. (Not that the Empire would ever give a gently caress, but Our Heroes probably should, at least sometimes)

This is an important part of a Clone Wars season 7 story. Spoiler: the Jedi never gave a gently caress either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

skasion posted:

Kanan is the drummer who exploded

I always thought Kanan was lead guitar and Zeb was the drummer.

Chopper is the roadie who makes problems..... go away.....

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Her character felt a little different from when I've seen her in other live action stuff. She came across as pretty sweet and caring when we see her in the Mandolorian. I just kind of took it as "shits getting real" for her. Also a kid is involved and not some grown adults she has some previous relationships with. Seems like Thrawn is her big baddy and she is getting closer and closer, so she is stepping up her game a little. Like they tease Thrawn in the Mandolorian, but he's still a bit away. Now she kind of has a link to where he is and is getting into it.

As a non-rebels watcher too, I'm curious how close Rosario is playing it to her animated portrayal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dawson’s Ahsoka tracks pretty well. She’s a bit more grim and mystical than cartoon Ahsoka, but the character has been moving in that direction the older she gets. Her facial expressions (especially her smirk) and body language are close to the point where it’s kind of funny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When are we going to see Hera’s weird son?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

When are we going to see Hera’s weird son?

Calling it now

He's the dark Knight inquisitor

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

As a no cartooner it felt like they were trying to start sabine off at a super low point so she could have more of an arc of growth over the show. But going to the ceremony and leaving in the middle instead of just refusing to go, a refusal of the call if you will, was a weird choice for that sequence. I guess it was necessary for the highway scene which probably had long since locked in CGI, isn't the production process magical

General Dog posted:

She didn't want to go to the "Celebration" because it wasn't a celebration to her, it was the anniversary of the death (she thinks) of a close friend, and one she's clearly having a hard time getting over. I thought it was a rather real moment. You don't have to be a kid to struggle with grief.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's one of his relatively few live-action leading roles.

He's the god drat Kurgan.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

maybealabia posted:

Calling it now

He's the dark Knight inquisitor

I don’t think he’s old enough, he’d only be about 10~ years old at this point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

Totally agree with you on the first part, I forgive a lot of silliness in Star Wars, but everytime they showed that highway, I was like, "Does it only go to this one tower and that's why no one else is using it?"

For the second part, that's just goons being bad at watching media. They were detected immediately, transmitted jedi codes when pinged for authorization, and were only not shot down because the captain wanted to see what was up with them using jedi codes.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I love our villains. Was shocked to hear Sabine had jedi training since I just could not get into rebels at all, so I'm glad to see that was not something covered in the cartoon. What's more, my Mom, who has not watched any of the cartoons, really enjoyed it.

Edit: I didn't realize MEW was Hera, that's great I love her.

Catching up on the thread now that I've watched the first two eps and I had to chuckle at this from a ways back. Just teasing you here but I love how you brought up the classic Goons Are Bad at Watching TV and then immediately followed it up with your own classic Goon Face Blindness.

As for the show, I don't have any of the cartoon background but as others have pointed out it hasn't really set me back. I'd obviously get more out of the show by appreciating what came before but I'm not lost or bewildered. Tons of stories don't start off at Day 1 but fill you in on the past as they go, nothing different here.

So far my main complaint is that the actors all feel too restrained. Like these are all characters who come from cartoons? I expected more character out of them! The bad guys are evil Jedi and a witch -- maybe they could have more to their look other than some extra mascara?

Also, having played the Jedi Fallen Order game I'm surprised at how familiar a lot of the witch and map stuff is. Really does feel like the game is as much a part of the overall Star Wars story as anything else.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

fartknocker posted:

I don’t think he’s old enough, he’d only be about 10~ years old at this point.

Human(?)/Twilek hybrids age more quickly (maybe who knows) and time travel is also implicated in this series soooo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

Catching up on the thread now that I've watched the first two eps and I had to chuckle at this from a ways back. Just teasing you here but I love how you brought up the classic Goons Are Bad at Watching TV and then immediately followed it up with your own classic Goon Face Blindness.

As for the show, I don't have any of the cartoon background but as others have pointed out it hasn't really set me back. I'd obviously get more out of the show by appreciating what came before but I'm not lost or bewildered. Tons of stories don't start off at Day 1 but fill you in on the past as they go, nothing different here.

So far my main complaint is that the actors all feel too restrained. Like these are all characters who come from cartoons? I expected more character out of them! The bad guys are evil Jedi and a witch -- maybe they could have more to their look other than some extra mascara?

Also, having played the Jedi Fallen Order game I'm surprised at how familiar a lot of the witch and map stuff is. Really does feel like the game is as much a part of the overall Star Wars story as anything else.

We're kind of stuck with a group that is the old and wise group. It's basically being with post ROTJ Luke and Leia with two of the characters, but older and more experienced. I didn't realize it until after watching, but, yeah, Ahsoka is by FAR the oldest and most experienced Jedi around (fought in the middle of the Clone Wars, hung out with Sheev as a politician, helped start the Rebellion, fought Vader), and Hera is the most accomplished Rebel general around who also helped start the Rebellion.

I do think the show hasn't quite established this to newer viewers; it's been said that Ahsoka is Anakin's Padawan and such, but what this actually "means" hasn't really been shown. This group is technically bigger and did more than Luke and the OT heroes, etc. and babysat Leia before. It's essentially the same as following Obi Wan and Bail around post Jedi if that was possible.

edit: Chopper MIGHT be older than R2 too. They're at least the same generation.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 24, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If Freddie Prinze Jr makes a cameo in some flashback I am going to scream.

E: Also I don't think they are gonna be using time travel - it looks like that fight from the trailers takes place where the map shoots into the sky.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lobok posted:

Having watched the cartoons, getting to the planet selection in Fallen Order and seeing Dathomir was an actual place you could visit was wild.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Chopper stealing the show again?!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

no offense taken lol
In my defense, it was more because I was so amazed at how good she made that jumpsuit look, like dam, leave some rear end for others!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate how much they are leaning into the whole ‘the New Republic sucks’ after it was kind of established by what happens in the sequel trilogy (mostly offscreen though).

It’s still really dumb how nobody ever seems remotely concerned about ex-Imperials until they start openly shooting at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
For those that don’t know, Chopper is voiced by showrunner Dave Filoni, and is actually speaking heavily distorted English. I’m not very good at making out what he’s saying, but the gist is he’s usually telling people to gently caress off.