Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain Invictus posted:

you want to have fun during this silly event? I don't think so

threw together some counterspell vomit and it's easy wins while people try to do poo poo with banned cards and then I just counter the core part of their master plan when they go to turn 2 emrakul or whatever. except if they get a bunch of fields of the dead going, of course, that's a problem

it's in theory a fun event but I've only run into 3 kinds of decks, and two of them are channel variants(channel -> :blastu: and channel -> eldrazi) the third being field of the dead shenanigans, instantaneous queues so real easy to bang out daily wins in absolute no time at all if that's what you want

Copied your deck and won my first game after like 12 turns from not allowing them to do anything. Whew! I really don’t like historic so it’s nice to have it out of the way so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:getin:

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den

Deck
2 Counterspell
2 Lightning Bolt
4 Death's Shadow
2 Underground River
2 Shivan Reef
4 Mishra's Bauble
2 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
4 Thoughtseize
4 Watery Grave
2 Spell Pierce
1 Drown in the Loch
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Orcish Bowmasters
2 Mana Confluence
4 Consider
3 Unholy Heat
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
2 Sulfurous Springs

Sideboard

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Anyway now that Midweek Magic is upon us, we can ignore the fake coinflip format of No Bans Historic and play the true skill testing format, Momir Basic

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The first momir match that I can remember that I wasn't mindless maxing out maxing out the emblem. The 1/1 had an ability to pumped base power to 7/7 and my dragon had the ability to pump +1 or gain first strike for red. I stabilized a few turns later with junk winder stunning two creatures a turn allowing me to start getting in attacks. But a creature etb shocked a defender putting me with bad blocks and eventually dying. Good game though

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2023

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wait its momir? I just did a standard brawl midweek event, did they gently caress up? I wont say no to more stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bugsy posted:

Wait its momir? I just did a standard brawl midweek event, did they gently caress up? I wont say no to more stuff.

they replaced the brawl event with momir because of some unspecified issue. my money's on something like how alchemy accidentally rotated early at the launch of the last patch, but who knows and I'm not digging through reddit to find out

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bugsy posted:

yeah

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1694128165587919263

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Momir is a terrible format, bummer. Miserable games with minimal strategy other than 'hope the computer gives me a flier'.

Was cute to see someone lose on turn 8 to a creature that milled their whole deck, but it's not a satisfying win.

It's like Arena can sense how much I hate these games and is just twisting the knife on giving opponents early fliers.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 23, 2023

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

flatluigi posted:

they replaced the brawl event with momir because of some unspecified issue. my money's on something like how alchemy accidentally rotated early at the launch of the last patch, but who knows and I'm not digging through reddit to find out

I think they broke the free mulligan? More gems for me then I guess.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Momir strategy guide:

1. Are you on the play? If the answer is no, concede and requeue.
2. Try to get Red/Green/Black lands down first. Arbalest Engineers and Junkyard Genius are in your deck and they make powerstones which will ramp you.
3. Spam 7 drops until you get something completely busted.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bugsy posted:

:getin:

Companion

Deck
2 Counterspell
2 Lightning Bolt
4 Death's Shadow
2 Underground River
2 Shivan Reef
4 Mishra's Bauble
2 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
4 Thoughtseize
4 Watery Grave
2 Spell Pierce
1 Drown in the Loch
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Orcish Bowmasters
2 Mana Confluence
4 Consider
3 Unholy Heat
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
2 Sulfurous Springs

Sideboard

imagine a :crossarms: that grows bigger with each line

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Anyway now that Midweek Magic is upon us, we can ignore the fake coinflip format of No Bans Historic and play the true skill testing format, Momir Basic

I know you're joking but anyone who prefers momir to vintage historic needs to be investigated by the fbi

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just did the fantasy card format again for fastwins. Minor I tried but now that I have already seen it like two or three times it's just bad. Maybe if they let you build a deck it would have some cool deck building aspect and make it more than a weird random joust. It also just takes too many steps to fart out the random creature. Not to mention it exiles everything so a lot of the mechanics don't even make the game interesting or work. Want the two rares so might try again tomorrow but man what a random drag.

I also either haven't played enough or get lucky in the anything goes, haven't seen the degenerate combos besides the budget super aggro dragon thing I'm running.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Horace Kinch posted:

Momir strategy guide:

2. Try to get Red/Green/Black lands down first. Arbalest Engineers and Junkyard Genius are in your deck and they make powerstones which will ramp you.

No it's original momir. No spells or creatures just momir.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Skip step 2 then.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Momir has a much more even play/draw winrate than standard, lol

If you're on the draw you actually get to drop the first creature while still getting to 7.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

Momir strategy guide:

1 Being on the draw is better since you have more cards

2 It's Momir basic, none of those cards are in your deck

3 The best cards are at 8, not 7

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jabor posted:

Momir has a much more even play/draw winrate than standard, lol

If you're on the draw you actually get to drop the first creature while still getting to 7.

Flipping a coin has a 50% win rate, but is not really a game and less enjoyable than Magic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Flipping a coin has a 50% win rate, but is not really a game and less enjoyable than Magic.

That's not what most of the posts in this thread would lead one to believe :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

As someone who grinded Momir on MTGO for tix years ago it is the best format objectively

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
momir rocks. 3-0'd it as i usually do. just make good tokens

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Be a pro like me and get The Raven Man, who shits out a bird on each player's turn.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Welp, my opponent just got Demonlord Belzenlok in Momir. :lol:

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

lol, as if the new Etali needed to be any better but it's also an insta-kill in Momir.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Lone Goat posted:

1 Being on the draw is better since you have more cards

2 It's Momir basic, none of those cards are in your deck

3 The best cards are at 8, not 7

I do consider Agent of Treachery to be the best card in momir. And Platinum Angel is also 7. Which are the real bombs at 8? Hoof needs a boardstate to be there when you roll it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

VictualSquid posted:

I do consider Agent of Treachery to be the best card in momir. And Platinum Angel is also 7. Which are the real bombs at 8? Hoof needs a boardstate to be there when you roll it.

Avacyn, Zetalpa, Cityscape Leveler, Griselbrand, Sundering Titan, Vorinclex

7 definitely has a lot of bombs too. The issue is density - there are 146 7s in Historic (idk what the actual Momir list is, but it's close), compared with only 37 8s. Your odds of getting one of the real beasts instead of one of the mids is just so much higher.

(Don't do 9s, they're all dogshit other than Zacama)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Never done Momir, but it is indeed a cursed format. I got a pain land as a reward, which seemed apt.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Never done Momir, but it is indeed a cursed format. I got a pain land as a reward, which seemed apt.

Apt, but solid. Pain lands are good!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This might be the best card in momir, I hadn't even thought about it.

Couldn't find out for sure bc my opponent resigned after reading the card.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

This momir had the Bringers at 9, which I didn't think were on arena and are even more reason not to do 9.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VictualSquid posted:

It's either this or Cultivator Colossus, which is hilariously dumb in Momir. Which I just got, and won me the game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

brudiclad turning everyone into a copy of himself and doubling himself every turn ain't bad

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Momir is what it is and I played my games and enjoyed the absurdity.

No Ban Historic, though. I was playing my unmodded Tibalt's Trickery Standard deck (my as well, it's the event graphic and all, and it's still funny what a ridiculous deck it is. I was tempted to update it for the more broken Historic card pool, but it still won enough. But Channel is a menace. And absolute menace. Between Kozilek and One Ring shenanigans, it was easily the highest ratio card I played against, by a margin of like 4:1.

It feels sorta like one of those "You think you want this but you don't" things.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

VictualSquid posted:

Zirda dawnwaker discounts your momir activation by 2 which is pretty good.

Got hoof'd in a game, then had endraze forerunners the next game, very cool.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I got a nice Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger in Momir, and, well, what's the only card with a CMC of 13 in MTG Arena? A 13/13 flyer with trample of course.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Went 7-1 in Arena cube with WB aggro, which evidently is the deck of the event. 3 of my opponents were also on it.

Invasion of Gobakhan is a house, especially with ways to recur it like Lurrus and Serra Paragon. Topdecked Maul of the Skyclaves twice for the win.

Of course I forgot to save the deck before claiming my reward :negative:

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Hoverguard Sweepers is at 8 too and that tends to win the game quite often.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VictualSquid posted:

This might be the best card in momir
serra's emissary.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Got the momir newEtali kill and it's the first time I've seen the mill death animation, neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing a deck with Oko in the no-ban events, and he is hilariously good in a format where everyone is trying to play Ulamog and/or The One Ring. I just keep marvelling and wondering what the gently caress they were thinking printing that card for three mana