Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

thotsky posted:

These Prigozhin assassination conspiracy theories are beneath D&D. It's like Epstein all over again. Planes crash.

The statistical likelihood of planes crashing versus plane crashes being used as assassination methods belie the difficulty in such thought. Furthermore, unlike Epstein, nerve agents, plane crashes, falling out windows have been common ways the post-Soviet Russian state has eliminated dissidents and anyone who threatens power. Being incredulous about downed airplanes is reasonable when for example the MH17 crash was found to be caused by Russia. When the opponent is willing to lie about random civilian deaths, it is not unreasonable to consider foul play on the two month anniversary of a failed coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

GUR claims they made a commando raid in the Crimea this morning to destroy a S-400 unit :stare:

Wait, again?

Or are we talking about this here:

Libluini posted:

From Die Zeit Ukraine-Liveblog:

-Multiple presidents (Lithuania, Portugal) on visit in Ukraine
-Ukraine managed to destroy an S-400 Anti-Air system stationed on Crimea.

Ukrainian sources (drone recordings) allegedly show the detonation of the system. Apparently, the entire facility, ammunition and crew included, was lost.

Edit: It seems this attack was what the leader of the Ukrainian military intelligence service, Kyrylo Budanow, hinted at, when threatening more attacks on Crimea.

Because that was yesterday morning, not today.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nenonen posted:

GUR claims they made a commando raid in the Crimea this morning to destroy a S-400 unit :stare:

They claim that the "Special operation"t, as they call it, continues, so it's quite possible this isn't the last thing they destroyed:

https://twitter.com/gloooud/status/1694630060299321557

Unfortunately, I can't find a better english source at the moment than twitter, but it's going around. The message is real, whether the claims of the message is real is still undetermined.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

a podcast for cats posted:

Nah, Russia Today says it could have been his pilot's Covid vaccine caused heart attack after all.

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1694651490202259747

is this really on RT, haha

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So entirely hypothetically, if Ukraine made some gains in Crimea, how big of a deal would that be? Like, if these reports are legit, how much does this matter if at all?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So entirely hypothetically, if Ukraine made some gains in Crimea, how big of a deal would that be? Like, if these reports are legit, how much does this matter if at all?

Those wouldn't be gains, it would be a raid that may be blew up some stuff and promptly left.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

SamuraiFoochs posted:

These guys land, launch some fpv drones on expensive targets and leave It's not about taking land.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 24, 2023

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

These guys land, lauch some fpv drones on expensive targets and leave It's not about taking land.

Makes more sense, but what's the objective then?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Djarum posted:

I think it is more that the Russian military aren’t going to die to protect Putin. The best scenario is what we saw last time; none of them do anything.

You have to remember that especially the closer to Moscow you get the more you have people who are wealthy and/or connected that have choice assignments and aren’t going to do anything that might get them injured or killed.

Honestly if Wagner is mobilizing on a run to Moscow it might serve as the rallying cry to topple Putin. We all saw how the Wagner people were treated by the public. With Prigozhin now dead it might strengthen their support.

It is all a very bad situation any way you try to handle it which Putin needlessly created, much like Ukraine. His best option was to have not do what he did.

I said right after the coup was aborted, when Prigo gets got, his successor has perhaps the only chance you'll ever see of turning Wagner from mercs into a group with something resembling an ideological goal. Play up a whole thing about how the boss had wanted to raise attention to the unnecessary dangers they were in and, believing he had done so, stood down nobly before any substantial amount of blood was spilled, knowing that it put him at risk to do so. Now Putin has not only reneged on that deal but has indeed had their leader killed, which is both engaging to them, insulting, and a demonstration that as long as Vlad is in power none of them can be confident of their safety.

I don't think this renewed march has been corroborated but if it is real, I wouldn't be surprised to find they have a lot more fervor as well as the iron logic that they can't stop this time.

This isn't to say they'd succeed, mark you. Just that if they try again, there might not be any turning them around.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Blow up expensive poo poo.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There’s no way this is an invasion force occupying land. We would have seen a big invasion fleet with landing craft if that were the case. These guys are just doing sabotage behind enemy lines.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Hearts and minds.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gervasius posted:

Supposedly blow up more S-400 components, but we don't actually have physical evidence of that. Also presumably to divert some resources....

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There's a saying that to 'defend everywhere is to defend nowhere'. Raids like this try to force your enemy to defend everywhere.

Also S-400s are valuable strategically and expensive to replace.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That all makes sense. Thanks for the answers, I am dumb about war. Cheers.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Reports in Norwegian media that Norway is donating F-16s to Ukraine. The prime minister is in Kyiv at the moment, so presumably a formal announcement with actual numbers today, but I think there are only a dozen not already sold to private actors or Romania.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Prigman, prigman

Haha, charcoal you are

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy Independence Day to Ukraine! May the next one happen in happier times, preferably with a huge beach party in Crimea.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's about sending a message; "gtf out of here" and making sure the enemy never feels safe. :ukraine:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gervasius posted:

Looks like they blew up a permanent radar station the Russian's built after 2014. Which probably put a VERY big hole in their air defence and I doubt they have many mobile stations around left to fill it.

Anything left in reserve would have already been committed.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Comstar posted:

Looks like they blew up a permanent radar station the Russian's built after 2014. Which probably put a VERY big hole in their air defence and I doubt they have many mobile stations around left to fill it.

Anything left in reserve would have already been committed.

Not doubting what you saw but do you have the source? That a pretty significant claim by Ukraine and a spot on assessment of a huge problem for Russia if true.

Edit: significant because mobile platforms are super useful and if planted on the high ground get very good coverage. They are limited by the power they can push into the air though since they can't generally link into a power grid. Stationary radar sites are crazy powerful detection assets and losing one can be like starting an avalanche if you can't plug the hole.

If true, Ukraine can essentially start chewing the air defenses up from that former coverage site outward, like an expanding bubble. It's a feedback loop of lost coverage, lose one, less detection, so you lose more.

(My source: worked closely with some Air Defense officers for an exercise. We got drunk and talked shop, this is what I remember. And yeah, we were all huge nerds to be talking about it)

Dirt5o8 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 24, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

hey mom its 420 posted:

Nah doesn't seem like it was, probably too dumb even for RT.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Dirt5o8 posted:

Not doubting what you saw but do you have the source? That a pretty significant claim by Ukraine and a spot on assessment of a huge problem for Russia if true.

Edit: significant because mobile platforms are super useful and if planted on the high ground get very good coverage. They are limited by the power they can push into the air though since they can't generally link into a power grid. Stationary radar sites are crazy powerful detection assets and losing one can be like starting an avalanche if you can't plug the hole.

If true, Ukraine can essentially start chewing the air defenses up from that former coverage site outward, like an expanding bubble. It's a feedback loop of lost coverage, lose one, less detection, so you lose more.

(My source: worked closely with some Air Defense officers for an exercise. We got drunk and talked shop, this is what I remember. And yeah, we were all huge nerds to be talking about it)

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1694624127720587377

No idea how reputable this guy is, haven’t heard of him before and phoneposting so I won’t dig into his credentials right now

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Can't access rt.com, but the Serbian RT posted a very neutral article, not speculating anything about the possible cause of the plane crash. You can barely find it among a billion BRICS news.

BTW, I didn't expect the mutiny to start, I didn't expect it to end so abruptly, I didn't expect it to have such a milquetoast immediate aftermath, and I didn't expect Prig to be assassinated later. I thought there was some 5 dimensional chess going on and that he was too smart and had rock solid assurances this wouldn't happen.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Would you look at that, the enjoyer of shark jokes personally benefits from doing business with Russia

https://news.err.ee/1609073804/company-part-owned-by-estonian-pm-s-husband-continues-deliveries-to-russia

quote:

Stark Logistics, a transport company partly owned by Prime Minister Kaja Kallas' (Reform) husband Arvo Hallik, has continued doing business with Russia since the start of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine. This is despite government criticism of companies that have done so.

Last week, Kristjan Kraag, CEO of Stark Logistics, told ERR that the company had practically stopped transporting freight to Russia, though had not completely ceased its operations.

"Customers in Estonia, our haulage partners, have dialed back. Our volumes have fallen so much that we've been forced to reorient our activities. We have trucks going to the Baltics, Scandinavia and Poland instead," Kraag said.

In addition to almost all goods groups being covered by sanctions, the company has not made an effort to maintain its business in Russia. The few trips we make now are largely the last loads. "A part of it is moving factory fittings out or bringing them back home so companies can wrap up," he remarked.

Deliveries to Russia, meanwhile, have been continuing since February 24, 2022.

The CEO did not want to say how many deliveries the company has made to Russia during that time

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doctor Malaver posted:

BTW, I didn't expect the mutiny to start, I didn't expect it to end so abruptly, I didn't expect it to have such a milquetoast immediate aftermath, and I didn't expect Prig to be assassinated later. I thought there was some 5 dimensional chess going on and that he was too smart and had rock solid assurances this wouldn't happen.

I was with you up until this part. I didn't think Wagner would mutiny against Putin, and once it started I thought it couldn't stop since everyone involved must realise that once you've declared a mutiny you've set yourself on a course whereby the end point is the death of either you or Putin.

Once the mutiny started, Prigozhin or Putin was doomed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My theory (very serious) is that Putin killed the hot dog guy to humiliate Lukashenko, because Lukashenko had bragged about how he had negotiated Prigozhin's freedom etc., and obviously putin can't tolerate some provincial dog catcher talking about exerting influence over him or even just having any achievements at all.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
I don't think you need to get more convoluted with the theories beyond: the Putin-led mafia state values loyalty above everything else, and Prig marching on Moscow was seen as a betrayal by Putin.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

TheRat posted:

My main question to that is: Were Prigozhin masks kept in stock?

Apparently they were just cheap printed jobbies

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

hey mom its 420 posted:

No, pretty sure it's fake.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

My conspiracy theory is that putin killed this guy dead. I know, it's pretty out there but

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yesterday's update from Reporting From Ukraine has some background on Ukrainian small boat operations right around that exact spot in Crimea for some reason. They've apparently been using abandoned oil rigs as platforms. Which would explain a lot about where are and sea drones have been coming from.

The video thumbnails for this channel always look like clickbait. Blame the algorithm, the content is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bC51Lo0PRE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

Kyiv Independent is a poo poo source and they link here to basically a Ukrainian propaganda outlet, so it is best to ignore since it is most likely fantasy clickbait

To clarify, because the headline makes it a bit ambiguous, but the primary source doesn't say that Wagner are preparing for another march on Moscow, only that their little camp disappeared. This was later confirmed with satellite photos.

https://www.svaboda.org/a/32562788.html

They might just be moving to another location inside Belarus, but closer to the border.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Paladinus posted:

To clarify, because the headline makes it a bit ambiguous, but the primary source doesn't say that Wagner are preparing for another march on Moscow, only that their little camp disappeared. This was later confirmed with satellite photos.

https://www.svaboda.org/a/32562788.html

They might just be moving to another location inside Belarus, but closer to the border.

I read somewhere that the Wagner subordinates looted the main office. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Wagner setup just dissolves into nothing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/michellelprice/status/1694764800687985008?t=PBUP5kXaCAOtlxLosOG78Q&s=19

You don't say.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
BREAKING Foreign ministry issues warning to citizens travelling in Russia on private jets with insubordinate PMC leaders.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

daslog posted:

I read somewhere that the Wagner subordinates looted the main office. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Wagner setup just dissolves into nothing.

A lot of them were only out of prison because of Prigozhin so I dont know how that works next. If they want to go back to Russia they probably have to enroll formally into the Russian military or go back to prison? Or Disappear. Probably a lot of disappearing or joining mercenary groups in africa and elsewhere. Is my layman's idiots guess.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

But why would Russia blow up its own warlord?

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
Cheated mercenaries rarely just disappear into the ether. Usually they just trash the government that ripped them off. Machiavelli observed this.

Who knows if the Wagner solders were ripped-off financially, but I assure you a lot of them feel victimized. A bunch of seasoned psychotic murders feeling victimized by the Russian government strikes me as a very negative bellwether for stability in Russia. Even if they no longer have an effect on the current war, my money is that they are going to be a tumor on the Russian government's rear end for a while.

Chill Monster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yiggy posted:

A lot of them were only out of prison because of Prigozhin so I dont know how that works next. If they want to go back to Russia they probably have to enroll formally into the Russian military or go back to prison? Or Disappear. Probably a lot of disappearing or joining mercenary groups in africa and elsewhere. Is my layman's idiots guess.

They were granted pardon the moment they signed the contract with Wagner, so they can either join the military or just try to live a normal life. Nobody's going back to prison.