Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GunnerJ posted:

The Deacon seemingly got Rip Van Winkle-d from the 1600s to the start of the game.

These things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

GunnerJ posted:

The Deacon seemingly got Rip Van Winkle-d from the 1600s to the start of the game.

Our blessed Deacon was freed from two-hundred year ice by the Archangel Michael himself! And even as the world froze (in God’s judgement for our sins) he came to us to deliver us. Truly, God is good.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Hope is something we desperatly need. Shrines.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

GunnerJ posted:

It's a new world and we can talk however we like! The state is smashed, the dream of punks everywhere has been realized. We have gone past the Cool Zone and well into the Very Extremely Cold Zone. We can, now and forever, have our pudding without needing to eat our meat, assuming anyone can find pudding or meat. In this society the English language is ours for the molding, and if that means drawing the best bits from other eras then so be it!

I would go further still and hope that each scenario be narrated in a different flavor of British. Medieval? Of course. Newspeak? Doubleplusgood. Nadsat? Real horrorshow, my droogs.

As to the game, um ... Morning Prayers are now mandatory. But you can pray them in any dialect you like.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - Next Steps
The Vote has been taken anew, and from its Results our Path forward is clear.

In order to strengthen our Community we must gather together in Holy Communion, now moreso than ever. With our usual Calendar based upon the Seasons devalued, we will base our Week around the Sabbath once more.

The next group of our brothers and sisters has joined us. They are relieved to finally see us and our city.
"Here we can be free at last! In London we had to toil like slaves for a piece of bread."

Another way to keep track of the Days is the regular Arrival of new Refugees. Come in, Siblings - it's no Promised Land, but here we are free from the Shackles of Egypt.

That last part I wrote was Inspired - I gave a Homily based upon it, to much Acclaim.

Sir, people have started to visit the House of Prayer. There aren't many of them yet, but it might be the start of something special. It seems they really needed a proper place of worship.

We are free from the Yoke of Tyranny, and our Souls are free to fly like the Angels.
Perhaps there is another Sermon in that - though I will need to wait some Time before another is given.

Our Spirits are not the only Thing soaring! A Contraption of Canvas and Flame is set aloft, a Welcome to all who would come visit our Sanctuary.

Several ruined shacks. We can't see any sign of activity.

In one Direction, the next Groups of Refugees, One of which is mere Hours away. In the Other, Naught but empty Shells and Ruins. A Metaphor for Damnation, perhaps?

Several families have reached our city. Unfortunately, some of their children got lost near the Trail Bend. They are distraught and beg you to help their kids.

A Party of Engineers has arrived, distraught at their Separation from their Families. I Vow we will do all that is possible to find these Children, as soon as we have collected enough Wood to form a proper Scouting Team.

The Children who are already here and all of to come will be taken Care of properly. We will build Shelters to ensure their Security.

Even with the Construction of a second Hunter's Hut, many are going hungry. While I continue to pray for a Miracle akin to the Provision of Manna or the Division of Bread and Fish, Soup will help to alleviate our Pangs for now.

The lost Children are of course our Priority, but a prior Edict to construct two Houses of Prayer was nearly expired. Our Builders were forced to dismantle the Cookhouse for Timber! Every last Scrap of Lumber has been going towards building Domiciles for our new Residents, and our Supplies are nearly depleted - we will need to devise Sawmills sooner than I expected.

Things are looking well for our current Residents, but more are pouring in on a constant Basis. I fear we may be approaching some sort of Tipping Point. Let us ensure the Stability of our Community with another Vote. Here are the new Options:

The Temple would allow us to build a grand Cathedral, a central Place of Worship like the ones we left behind in London. It would allow for Righteous Denunciation.
Faith Keepers would allow us to establish an Organization to ensure no heretical Beliefs would threaten our Society. It leads to Public Penance.

What will our next Laws be, to ensure our Survival?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - Hardship
We have tallied the Results of the latest Poll, and the Will of the People pushes equally for Shrines and Medical Apprentices. As our Child Shelter has not yet been constructed, the Shrines law has been enacted first.

These small Buildings are not Places of Prayer, merely Reminders of Who it is that ultimately provides for our Needs. With their Spirits thus Enlightened, our Workers may thus produce more Fruit from their Toils.

More than a dozen of our people have reached the city. They look around in awe.
"The Generator is truly a wonder! And to think the lords wanted to keep this place for themselves."

Welcome, Brethren! There is always more Room at the Table, though its Settings be small at the Moment.

Though it pains me, the second of our Houses of Prayer was demolished to provide Lumber to house our new Friends. Some of our old and unused Streets were also torn up to provide the Scientists with enough Materials for their Research.

The new Arrivals will need to work in the Cold for a little While, as our Shortage of Timber is dire. We still require Shelter for our Children, Sleds for our Scouts, another Medical Station for our Ill, and to research Heaters to get our Cookhouse operational again. That is not to mention Housing for the Refugees who continue to regularly arrive and the Shrines to fulfill our newly signed Law.

At least the Children will be able to aid us in our Backlog of Sick Cases, as Nurses.

The Shelter is underway, and not long after, we collect enough Wood to outfit our first Scouting Party.

The trail takes a bend around a low depression here. A faint smudge of smoke rises over it from time to time.

Good News - the Scouts have already sent Reports indicating Signs of Life near where the missing Children were last seen.

One of our people has become gravely ill due to frostbite. This will keep happening if people have to work in such cold.

One of the Gatherers has been bitten by Frost in one of his Limbs, a result of these abysmal working Conditions! The newly designed Sawmills will allow us to gather Timber in relative Warmth and avoid such Tragedies in the future.

The Child Shelter is ready and the children are safe inside. People can work without worrying that something will happen to their kids.

The first Group of Children is now Sheltered and assisting in medical Duties according to their Abilities. More Shelters will be required as the Number of our Lambs increases daily.

This group was caught in a vicious blizzard. The light of our Beacon led them safely through the worst of it.

Speaking of which, here they come now! Fear not, your Arrival was anticipated and warm Beds - well, Beds at least - have already been prepared for you.

A series of gentle rolling hills begins here. There's a makeshift camp nestled between two of them.

A shallow depression by the bend shelters a group of our people. Their supplies fell into an ice crevasse and they made camp here to wait for help. The lost children wandered into the camp a few days ago. They're lucky we found them before they all starved!

Excellent News! All of the lost Children have been discovered alive and well, and some of their Adult Caretakers too! They are on their Way back to us as I write. Things are beginni

One of our people has just died. Sickness, accidents and deadly cold will keep claiming lives in this harsh world.
We need a way to dispose of the body.

Richard Green now rests in the Lord's warm Embrace. The Man caught his Death of a Cough developed several Days ago. Our Medics did not have the Time or Space to sufficiently treat him.
The Corpse lies in our Storage Tent, towards the Back and out of the View of those of us with weaker Constitutions. We must decide what to do with the Body. An early Vote has been called, with the Addition of these new Options:

A House of Healing could be established, for the Treatment of the Gravely Ill. Rather than being staffed by Scientists, Laypeople will be employed to heal with the Power of Prayer. We could also build Field Kitchens, which would warm our Bodies and Souls with a simple but hearty Soup. Neither Choice leads to any further Laws.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Sorry about the delay between updates - I fell into a giant Zelda-shaped hole and have only just managed to claw my way out.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Life happens! Glad this is going on

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Remalle posted:

Sorry about the delay between updates - I fell into a giant Zelda-shaped hole and have only just managed to claw my way out.

The joys of spitroasting koroks in new and interesting ways tends to do that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Remalle posted:

Considering you can make anything in that game rocket-assisted I don't blame you. I quite enjoyed watching my friend stream it and egging him on to add more rockets to his car, more!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I don't remember if we ever destroyed any buildings or streets. How much material do we recover from doing that?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

painedforever posted:

I don't remember if we ever destroyed any buildings or streets. How much material do we recover from doing that?
Hm, I feel like we probably have, I just might not have shown it before. Depending on the building you get 75 or 80% of your resources back, which can be invaluable in situations like this where resources are incredibly tight.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - Death

With the Emergency Vote concluded, it has been determined that our next Law to be enacted shall be Cemeteries. However, as insufficient Time has passed since our last Vote, we will need to wait some Hours before this goes into Effect.

The latest Crisis to contend with is the impending Shortage of Coal. A Gathering Post is built to exploit the last remaining Piles of Coal easily accessible on the Surface. Those assigned to it once active will be placed on Emergency Shift.

Praise the Lord, a second Medical Post is also under construction!

Captain, the group from the Trail Bend has reached our city. The missing children are amongst them. Their parents are beside themselves with joy.

Joyous reunions! Truly, the Lord is smiling upon us today.

A box-like shape is sticking out of the snow there.

Several ruined shacks. We can't see any signs of activity.

The Scouting Party is re-assigned to the closest of two Points of Interest, the Abandoned Camp.

We just wanted to thank you. Back in London, it was only the wealthy that didn't have to send their kids to work. In this new world you're creating we can see things'll be different.

Here, there are no Rich nor Poor; we are all Lambs, and each of us contributes to the Flock based on our Ability.

The Cookhouse is active once more, and the Cooks ready to distribute Meals according to our Need.

The first of our Shrines is placed, near our Sawmill, Gathering Post, and Workshops. The Reminder of our Purpose will re-invigorate those nearby Workers, inspiring them to work harder for our collective Good.

One of our people died suddenly during an Emergency Shift. We don't know what happened, but it's likely it was a heart attack.

Thomas Good and Grace Charles are with the Lord.

Two more Shrines are completed, but two more of our People succumb to Illness caused by Cold.

The Cemetery Law has been signed, as yet another Patient dies before he could be treated. May they all rest in Peace.

This camp belonged to the builders of the Generator. Their shacks are falling apart.

We found scraps from a diary amongst the remains of the camp. "Today we finished building the Generator for the lords. Now at last we can set out for London to bring our families here to safety," reads the last entry.

We owe our very Lives to the Builders. They never knew their Work ensured the Survival of the Common Man, not the Aristocrats. I offered up a Prayer for their Eternal Salvation, whatever their ultimate Earthly Fate.

This place is the only thing standing out in the endless white desert.

Amongst the endless white plain, a dead body hangs from a frozen tree at the top of a small hill.

The Scouts have spotted a Corpse on the Horizon, and are moving to give the poor Soul a proper Burial.

We have another at Home to bury too.

We cut the frozen body down and gently lowered it to the ground. There's a tool chest at the base of the tree.

The chest we found contains an engineer's tools and a death note. "You lured me here with promises, kept me in the dark, told my wife I'd died... You're beneath contempt. I hope you enjoyed my farewell gift." It seems that the people it was intended for never read the note. And we can only hope that we don't become the recipients of whatever "gift" he left for them.

Was this Man one of the Builders? Were they forced to construct the Generator under false Pretenses? The Man had rigged up a Steam Core to blow, but the crude Bomb was disabled by the Cold, and our Scouts were able to safely retrieve it.

A series of small, barely visible mounds with a strikingly regular shape. Crates, probably.

Besides some cracked Ice, these Supplies are the only other Thing of interest in the Area.

Sir, people have started to leave personal charms, beads, and written prayers at shrines as votive offerings. It seems it helps them keep their spirits up in these trying times.

Rather than succumb to Despair, our Flock remains strong and hopeful in Faith.

Our trained Doctors and Medics are doing good Work, but their Facilities are not enough to keep up with the Flood of Illness. A House of Healing will be built to help the Situation, allowing our most Pious to pray over the Bodies of our Sick.

Captain, some of our people are concerned about the low temperature in their homes. They quite sensibly point out that it's easy to fall ill when it's cold, and ask you to address the problem.

How can People be expected to remain healthy when even their Beds are not safe from the Cold? We will place our newly designed Steam Hubs with that end in Mind.

According to these survivors, a group of refugees took a wrong turn at the White Pass. They'll surely die if we don't send scouts to help them.

Language, Mr. Moore!
A newly-arrived Group of Refugees tells us of another Group lost in the Frostlands. They will be located and saved.

Our House of Healing and Cemetery are complete.

The snow covering the crates is deep, but we're sure there are some valuable supplies buried down there.

Under the snow we uncovered many crates full of supplies. There's no telling who might have left them here.

The Scouts have reached the Crates and retrieved the precious Cargo held within.

The snow-covered pass looms high above the valley. A trail left by people walking single file leads over it.

Their next Destination should be the White Pass at which our lost Brothers are located, but it is in the opposite Direction that they have been traveling. They will stop back at the City along the Way.

Sir, a dying old man has written a letter to you from the House of Healing.
"I will die a good death in due time, not in pain from illness or cold. I will die in peace, knowing that our city is in good hands. You understand that, more than food and shelter, people need something to nourish their souls. For this I thank you."

The eldest among us, Mr. Hugh Anson, has passed away. While every Death stings, it brings me a measure of Comfort to know he at least died peacefully.

The Scout Team has dropped by the City on their way to the White Pass, with enough Supplies that we are able to construct Shelters for the remainder of our Children.

With the Establishment of the House of Healing and the help of our young Nurses, our Medical Crisis is coming to an end. The Voters chose to allow for Radical Treatment, though, in case such a Situation ever recurs.

These newcomers came across some lost engineers and brought them to our city. They have unsettling news.
"As we were leaving London in the ships taken from the lords, we heard Lord Craven giving the order to shoot at us. We must stick together in case he ever follows us here."

G-- d-- that Ebenezer Craven!! The so-called Prime Minister sought the Salvation of the Lords alone, and I suppose the Rest of us could rot for all he cares. I sincerely Hope never to have the Misfortune of laying mine Eyes upon him again. We must pray for our Safety from not only the Cold but the Lords now!

The new Gathering Post is already depleted. Once again we face the impending Crisis of Shortages, of Coal and Steel alike this Time. Preparations are underway but I Fear we may be facing some Down-time of the Generator until the Coal Thumper is ready. Our Voters should keep this in Mind for the next Poll.
There are no new Laws available to vote for, so instead, let us remember our recently Deceased.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
God preserve us, so many lie dead. And with those who would call themselves lords above the one true Lord still out there, we can only say a quick prayer, and give of our Blood and Sweat that we may survive.

It’s still better than what we had back home.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I hate the capitalization you've got going here. It's perfect and spot on for the religious writings I've seen before and it really just bugs me. Well done!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
A lot more dying this time around.

Is this scenario harder, or is it because of the difference in policies in this playthrough?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The scenario! This is a tough one.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

The real refugees are the friends we made along the way. I guess that's just literally true this time.

This is the one scenario I can't do on Hard. Not to say it's impossible on Hard, but it takes a degree of micromanaging I'm not willing to engage in.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, with (imo) the exception of The Arks, which is a nice breather level after surviving the Storm, the difficulty level of each of the scenarios is notably higher than A New Home. In this case the constant pressure of incoming refugees vs. your easily available resources makes for some rough growing pains.
By the way, I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I'm playing on normal difficulty.

Edit: There was supposed to be an update tonight, but guess who forgot to set OBS to start recording?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 20, 2023

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - Congregation

With our last Vote we elected to designate a Space for our Earthly Remains; this Time, we have implemented a Service for our Eternal Souls.

Our first Funeral will occur Tomorrow Night at Nineteen-hundred Hours, for all Eight of our fallen Siblings.

According to my Promise, the Homes would enjoy Warmth for exactly Two Days. The appointed Time came, and then we ran out of Fuel for the Generator. Fortunately, it takes a few Hours for the Generator to completely cool down after it is shut down.

The newly-built Coal Thumper is activated immediately, its Crew roused from their Slumber in order to minimize the Disruption to the Generator's service.

A man assigned to an emergency shift has refused to work. He said that he's already worn out and he doesn't want to end up dead like one of his friends.

Despite knowing that it is for the Good of the Community as a Whole, One of the Coal Thumper Staff has refused to Work the Emergency Shift. He was given the Day off and replaced with Somebody more Civic-minded.

This group has been through a lot. An avalanche at the Black Spire separated them from their friends. They beg us to help them.

The latest Group of Refugees bears ill Tidings. Most of their Party was trapped by an Avalanche not far away.

An outcrop of black rock rises dramatically from the white plain. It's visible for miles around - a good point for lost people to gather around.

So near, in fact, that our Scouts already passed by the Spot on their Journey to the White Pass.

The trail is barely visible. The wind blasting through the narrow ravine between the rock faces carries the smell of campfire smoke. Our people must be close by.

Shouts and cheers break through the howling wind as we descend from the pass into a small camp. "Are you from the city?" asks one of the refugees. Relieved by our answer, he tells us about a group of know-all engineers who led them in the wrong direction.

The Plan is for the Scouts to deliver this rescued Party back at the City before circling back to the Black Spire.

Our people are becoming less and less committed to their work. Perhaps we should at least give them extra rations while they're sweating blood on emergency shifts?

As our immediate and pressing Concerns of Survival are no longer as immediate and pressing as they once were, People are no longer as motivated purely by Need to do extra Work. They will be compensated with doubled Rations instead.

Another group of refugees has reached our city. On their way here they spotted a ship some distance away from the Landing Site. We should investigate.

Language, Mr. Golding!
Apparently in the latest Arrival of Immigrants Word got out that another Ship was spotted some Distance away from our own. When we commandeered our Dreadnought, Nobody knew our ultimate Destination, not even us. This Generator Site was discovered from Maps found in the Captain's Cabin. For another Ship to have landed here, they must have either somehow found out about Site 014 as well, or already known about it. Either way, there is no way to know if these new Arrivals know that we are already here.

It is time to build a central Seat of Faith for our growing Community. There may end up being many Houses of Prayer as we expand, but there will only be one Temple.

Sir, the refugees who took a wrong turn at the White Pass have reached our city. They look around eagerly, longing for a hot meal and a warm bed.

Welcome, Brothers! Meals and Beds have already been prepared for your Arrival.

Captain, one of our workers has got drunk, and now he's scaring people, shouting some nonsense about the lords.
"The lords are coming in that ship! You'll see! They're coming with that bastard Lord Craven to take what's ours!"

The growing Popular Sentiment is that the new Ship carries those who were originally meant to occupy ours. While that may very well be the Case, it is impossible to know for Certain until we have located and observed them directly.
More concerning is the Affront to Public Order caused by the Drunkard. We are uncertain where the Alcohol came from - certainly from no Legal Establishment in this City. Because we have no dedicated Peace Keeping Force, all we can do is send the Man Home after a Stern Talking-to.

The black spire is composed of ancient volcanic rock. At its base, a shallow depression offers protection from the wind. A group of our people found shelter here.

This group of our people got lost after an avalanche separated them from the others. Exhausted, they stopped here to recover, but their supplies are running out. On their way here they saw a large, peculiar structure buried in the snow. They have no idea what it is, other than that it was man-made.

The Scouts were not able to locate this Edifice given a cursory Search and so they are now escorting the Avalanche Survivors back here post-haste. They may return here in the Future after all the Refugees are taken care of.

The people from this group say that no more refugees are coming.
"We were the last to leave the ships, so we should be the last to reach the Generator. There's no living soul left on the trail behind us."

The last Group to leave the Ships was unaware that some were delayed by the Avalanche, and so were under the Impression that they were the last to arrive as well.

You did it! Our friends and families, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives are safe. You've proved that together we can achieve the impossible.

You've succeeded! Everyone has been saved.

Once they return, however, we will all stand here reunited! Our Flock, once scattered to the Winds, will have not even a Single Lost Sheep left astray in the Wilderness.

Sir, we're holding an evening of prayer this afternoon. Plenty of people are here. They're praying, but also talking and laughing. I haven't seen anything this heartening in our city for a long time.
It's really brought the community together.

It is our Faith alone that has brought us this far, and our Faith that we will continue to rely on as we shift our Focus from merely providing everybody with temporary Shelter to building a proper City.

There was a Tie between Field Kitchens and Care Houses in the Poll, so I gave my own Tiebreaker Vote to Field Kitchens. Our Healthcare issues have largely been resolved.

These Buildings are smaller than anything else we have yet built, so they are perfectly suited to be placed betwixt some of our larger Workplaces.

Spirits are high this Morning, as we anticipate the Return of the very last of the Lost Sheep.

Captain, the refugees who survived the avalanche at the Black Spire have reached our city. They have finally been reunited with their friends.

Captain, a young couple asked us to deliver this note to you.
"We were separated on the trail and had to fight back despair. Thanks to your efforts, we've been reunited. No words can express our gratitude."

Everybody is together once more. Here we live, free to live outside the Yoke of Aristocratic Tyranny, and worship the One True Lord.

With everybody housed, we are able to begin Construction of the Temple. This will be no Mediaeval Cathedral of Brick and Stone, but a Modern Edifice of Steel and Steam.

Captain, the lookouts at the Beacon report a large group of strangers marching in our direction. We have to assume that the lords are coming. Our people are afraid that their worst fears are going to come true.
"We're going to die in this frozen hell if they force us to leave! Even if they let us stay, they'll turn us into their slaves. We must be ready to fight!

The prospect of so many lords coming here has caused understandable tension. The conflict between people from different social classes could jeopardise the future of our city. In the next few days the shape of our society may well be completely redefined.

We finally have Confirmation that the second Ship did indeed bear the Lords from whom we escaped, what feels like an Eternity ago. They must be coming for the Generator that was built for them. Are they aware that we already built a City here first? There are too many Unknowns. We must Pray and remain Calm.

poo poo
I beg Forgiveness for my unbecoming Outburst. The Lookouts report a Hundred Lords are heading straight towards us and will arrive in less than Two Days.

In the Mean-time, the Temple has been completed. I gave a Homily from the Steel Pulpit to remind the Congregation that we need Fear only One Lord.

Two Field Kitchens have been built to provide people with hot meals, as you promised.

I suspect the hot Food served from our new Field Kitchens may have done more to lift Spirits.

We found the wreck of some sort of vehicle. We can salvage some parts from it.

Whilst disassembling the wreck to salvage what we could from it, we found a hidden cache of supplies.

The Scouts stopped by this Wrecked Vehicle en route to the Landing Site, a Journey which will take several Days.

Heat, Health, Food, and Shelter. All of these Areas of Concern have been addressed. Now we must take a Vote knowing that in just over a Day, the Lords will be here.

In Addition to the Faith Keepers, the Institution of Righteous Denunciation may help to keep Peace in our Streets.

What will our next Laws be, to keep our City safe?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Only the Good Lord can denounce someone. Who are we, who live in earthly sin, to throw stones upon our brothers?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Remalle posted:

In Addition to the Faith Keepers, the Institution of Righteous Denunciation may help to keep Peace in our Streets.

Faith kept up our streght, but paranoia would poison it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BassMug posted:

Only the Good Lord can denounce someone. Who are we, who live in earthly sin, to throw stones upon our brothers?

The Lords are coming! Throwing literal stones may be important in our immediate future, and metaphorical ones can help steel our courage to do so.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Faith Keepers

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Faith Keepers to give you more options when crime events show up

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

At last, time to engage in Frostpunk's combat mechanics! Wait, Frostpunk doesn't have combat mechanics? poo poo. I guess our only hope is maintaining a prosperous and stable society.

Still it'd be nice to raise some Faith Keepers just in case things get physical. There's a hundred lords a-leaping our way and we've got a flock to protect.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - The Lords' Arrival

If we are to maintain the Integrity of our Community, Shepherds must be appointed over the Flock.

Now we have the Faith Keepers to protect the Sheep, should Goats overrun the Pasture.

Captain, the approaching strangers are carrying no weapons. Whatever their intentions, they have no means of attacking us. But people are wary.
"It's a trick to catch us off guard! The lords are cunning. Those leeches would do anything to get back at us, mark my words."

As the Lords draw ever nearer, the Sentries are better able to discern their Situation. We can now see they brandish no Arms, but neither do they bear the Flag of Peace. We still cannot know their true Aim.

Sir, people appreciate the Field Kitchen we built for them. They've sent a delegation to thank you.
"We've already thanked our brothers in faith who run the Kitchen, and we'll keep them in our prayers. In this frozen wasteland, anything that keeps one warm is a lifesaver."

Of course, Deterrence is not the only Method of keeping the Peace in the Pasture. Ensuring that Peoples' Needs are met may also stop Discontent from developing into Disorder.

Faith Keepers established! You proved that you follow through on your promises.

The People have voted for Faith Keepers, though, and so Ten hand-picked Shepherds have been appointed.

An impromptu Procession around the Generators marks a new Era of Fervour and Zeal. No more Doubts remain in the Hearts of the Flock.

Overnight, Symbols of the Faith have been erected all across the City. No Man may easily forget our Saviour - our Pious will ensure it.

Captain, the lords are nearly here. There are many of them, but they look miserable. They seem to be carrying no food supplies.
When they reach our city in a few hours, they'll have no choice but to beg us for help. You will have to decide their fate...

It appears that without their Serfs to till their Soil, the Nobles have not been able to provide for their own Needs. Now they are here - to beg for our Mercy? Or to reclaim their escaped Property? We are about to find out.

Tonight, another Procession of the Faithful will occur, but by then, we will know, and we will have already decided what to do with them.

Because They are Here.

Captain, the lords have arrived. They're starving. There's at least a hundred of them. A hundred! And more are coming. They beg us to let them in, but that would mean sharing our food supplies and finding them shelter.

If we let them in, we will need to ensure that everybody has a Roof and Food. We could even Pledge to build improved Food Infrastructure. This will lower our Hope or raise our Discontent, respectively.
Alternatively, we may deny them Entrance. With their lack of Supplies, they will be forced to set up Camp somewhere nearby.

How will we respond to the Lords in Rags?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Let them in - improve food infrastructure

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Let them in and give them houses. All men are created equal.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Let them In We have hope for all. But discontent could end us.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Philippe posted:

Let them in and give them houses. All men are created equal.

What we do to the lowest of us, we do unto our Savior. The Lords have sinned greatly against us in the world we left. We must not become them, or all we will create is a new Gehenna. We will likely need more food, however. Let them in, and improve our food.

If they should decide to prey upon us, they can always be rebuked. But to leave them outside to die, when the Slate has been buried in clean snow, would doom them and us to Hell. And all the cold we suffer will be nothing compared to the heat of eternal flame.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

let them in and improve our food

We will not become them, sacrificing the lives of those we find surplus to requirements. Even though They would not have done the Same for Us back in London, the cold has not rendered us heartless.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can we make them Dance a little Jig and profess that God is no respecter of Persons, and all are equal in His eyes?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

let them in and improve our food

We will not become them, sacrificing the lives of those we find surplus to requirements. Even though They would not have done the Same for Us back in London, the cold has not rendered us heartless.

Agree, Let them honestly earn their place among us with their honest work.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Let them in and build them houses, All are welcome in the house of the Lord.

And we are of course better than them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
What are the differences between the two options when ti comes to things?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wedgekree posted:

What are the differences between the two options when ti comes to things?

First hits hope, we need to have enough food available and to build enough housing for no homeless,
Second hits Discontent, we would need to build 3 more advanced food structures, Hangers or hothouse level 2, hothouse level 2 needs 2 cores each and we have 3 on hand right now. We would need more steam cores for hothouses.
Third is us kicking them out obviously.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Third is us kicking them out obviously.

(Which presumably has Consequences.)

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Excerpts from the Journal of the Deacon of Sanctuary - The New Flock

Despite nigh-universal Misgivings, the overwhelming Majority of Voters have agreed to let the Lords into our City...

The arrival of so many starving people requires immediate action. Besides housing them, we need to provide more efficient sources of Raw Food, such as Hunters' Hangars or Industrial Hothouses.

The starving lords have entered the city. Our people are not happy with their arrival. The lords, on the other hand, are rejoicing.
"Thank you, kind people! We'd have been doomed if you hadn't let us in."

...on the Condition that they earn their Keep. Many of the new Arrivals are immediately drafted as Hunters or Miners, and more Facilities will soon be erected to ensure the gainful Employment of all of our Residents.

Sir, a man was found crying silently in the Temple. We approached him to ask if he needed help. He told us he wanted to see you.
"I thought my faith died long ago, sir, with my wife and daughters in London. I couldn't see any purpose in our new life, in the fight for survival. But today when I entered the Temple, I saw a future for us. Now I'm ready to face it."

Not long after their Arrival, we found one of the Lords prostrated in the Temple. Our Way of Life here has already proven its self-evident superiority over the Pursuit of Worldly Status.

In order to alleviate mounting Discontent between the Lambs and the Lords, I have been working Overtime in the Temple to maintain Peace between our two Groups. Not helping our Matters of Morale is the Fact that the Miners and Woodcutters have been working Overtime as well.

Captain, people have gathered to protest against the cold in their homes. They're angry that despite the health risks posed by the cold, you seem to be neglecting the problem. They want you to act.

I am doing all that I can to ensure every-body has a Bed to sleep in, and that means Materials are stretched too thin for us to sleep in anything better than Tents. The Faith Keepers were sent out into the Crowd to ensure they all understand my Hands are tied in this Matter.

Captain, one of the lords refuses to work. He says that, "such menial jobs are best left to the common folk." He claims that he used to be a writer or something like that.

My good Man, we have need of only One Book now. I gave him a Copy from my Collection and sent him on his Way.

Captain, the lord who refused to work was battered for looking down on our people. He was sent to the Medical Post.

Unfortunately, before he could learn from the Good Book's Lessons, the Man's Attitude in the Workplace made him a Target for a Beating. His Injuries are minor, but still he insisted he be tended to first.

Captain, one more group of lords is marching in our direction and it's most likely not the last.

Another Hundred Lords have been spotted on the Trail. We are still not finished finding Housing for the last Batch!

A wrecked machine of some kind. From this distance we can't tell what it was. There are no signs of life.

A leaning mast stands on the top of a small mound. We can't see any signs of life.

From One nondescript Land-mark, our newest Scouting Party has found more Points of Interest. They are dispatched to the Fishing Boat in hopes that it might still contain frozen Fish.

Though it is nowhere near the Standard of Living our new... Guests... are accustomed to, our new Nobles Quarters are complete. One day the Tent City may become a proper City of Brick and Stone, but already we are trying to find Room for Tents for the next Group of Arrivals.

A Care House has been established in accordance with the new law.

I have not forgotten the Vote we took before the Lords arrived, and I will honour the Results of that Poll. Next will a Law ratifying Prosthetic Limbs be ratified.

Captain, the lords who arrived recently have told us about a Radio Mast they saw on the trail. A Steam Core could be powering it.

A very tall, thin steel mast. It's almost certainly a radio antenna.

Should we find ourselves in Want of a Steam Core, we know where to find One not too far away. For now we have no urgent Need.

Sir, our Faith Keepers have found someone's illegal stash of food. It's quite big, so they plan to distribute it amongst people in need. But perhaps you'd like it to be used another way?

The Hoarded Rations have been added to our own Stockpile to supplement our Food Income until the Hunters' Huts are upgraded.

It's a large fishing boat. It's partially hidden under thick layers of snow.

We dug out the fishing boat. It was hard work, but it was worth it. We have retrieved some valuable resources from it.

As we hoped, the Icebound Vessel was full of Fish. Even better, the Damage to the Boat was such that the Scouts were able to Salvage a good Amount of Steel.

A small building buried in snow up to the windows. There's no smoke coming from its chimney.

This Building was spotted not far away, and shows enough Promise that the Scouts have been sent there rather than the nearby Fishing Village.

Half of our Hunters' Huts have been upgraded into Hangars for our new Dirigibles. We need not worry about our Stomachs for the Moment, especially because...

This workshop canned the fish caught in the lake. The double doors of the main entrance are wide open and the surrounding buildings have been burned down.

We found a large cargo sled fully loaded with food in the yard. It must have been standing in a deep puddle of meltwater when a sudden wave of frost hit, leaving it stuck in hard ice.

The Scouts discovered an untouched Treasure Trove of Canned Food, and are racing back to the City!

Snow has hidden every trace of the crowds that passed through here. From the shore we are unable to see the mysterious ship reported by our people. We'll have to get higher.

We spotted the ship from the top of the cliff over the haven. It's big, but not a dreadnought or a freighter. Most likely it's an ocean liner.

Our Senior Scouting Team has returned to our Landing Site and salvaged some Lumber that was left behind. Though we are fairly certain by now the Sighting was of the Vessel of the Incoming Lords, it does not hurt to double-check.

A handful of stolen ships that miraculously crossed the icy ocean and delivered us from the greatest calamity in the history of mankind.

A little Ways down the Shore lies the rest of our Flotilla. The Scouts are headed there to check for more Materials before investigating the other Vessel.

Tensions are coming to a Head this Morning.

I hope the Influx of Fresh Food will help settle Peoples' Tempers!

The ships we stole from the lords. Now crushed by ice and stripped of anything not firmly bolted down.

These ships saved our lives on many occasions. They carried us out of London before the Storm arrived. They shielded us from Lord Craven's men. Finally, they brought us here. And all we can do with them now is dismantle them for resources.

We give you Thanks for your Service, Noble Ships.

A large ocean liner is faintly visible through the swirling snow. From this distance, it's impossible to tell if anyone is aboard.

Now to investigate this Alleged Ghost Ship. I am sure it is simply the Vessel that bore our new "Friends" here, but the more credulous among us have been telling disquieting Stories.

Captain, another group of lords will arrive here shortly. We know that they are in poor health. Our people are worried.
"We've managed to help the starving lords, but this is different. This bunch might be carrying something contagious!"

As the next Host of Refugees draws near we are able to discern their poor Health. We are already struggling - again - to take care of our own!

Captain, some of our people are concerned about the rising number of untreated sick. They're asking you to address the problem.

As if on Cue, one of the Chief Medics arrived after I penned the above Lines and requested more Help with the latest Medical Crisis. I promised to build another House of Healing.
Before that new Medical Facility is completed, however...

Captain, a large group of lords has just arrived. Most of them are seriously ill. They won't be able to work for many days and will overcrowd our medical facilities. What should we do?

The next Group has arrived. We will need to decide whether to let Them in (and whether we will simultaneously expand our Medical Infrastructure) or turn Them away.
Additionally, it is Time for us to decide on new Laws, or to vote to implement no more new Laws.

How will we respond to the Sick Lords?
And...
What will our next Laws be, to keep our City safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Let them in - improve healthcare

And voted for fighting arena

Everyone's equal in fight club!