Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
John Sega was going to shoot him in the head once enough negative reviews came in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know, for all the complaints about TWW DLC price, then I see they're charging $15 per plane in Microsoft flight simulator and go oof.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I can tell MSFS is properly functional in all regards and doesn't have AI planes that form a scrum around A380's of opposing airlines so maybe the price there is justified.

Well, "justified" as any of the arbitrary prices attached to gaming related stuff.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Mordja posted:

You know, for all the complaints about TWW DLC price, then I see they're charging $15 per plane in Microsoft flight simulator and go oof.

The planes probably differ more in gameplay than the wh3 DLC's.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Simulator playing people are whacked out they'll pay $30 for a truck with different livery to drive around in their 15 year old video game that can't render Spain properly

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sim people pay $80+ in DCS for incomplete planes released in early access that have remained so for ~2 years.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sim people often pay thousands of dollars for cockpit kits that they assemble and dedicate a whole room of their house to.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
That's hobbies for you. You invest a lot of time and money into it cause you love it. No shame in it unless you're putting money into something and hating it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

That's hobbies for you. You invest a lot of time and money into it cause you love it. No shame in it unless you're putting money into something and hating it.

But enough about Total War DLC!!!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also, in MSFS any company can make and release planes for it. So Microsoft has to compete with 30 other dlc companies that often undercut them with better products. The result is typically Microsoft has to release better products or charge less if they don't want to meet the same level of detail.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, slaanesh died in aos cuz they wanna start the long task of making it pg

still sell the figurines tho

Man it's kinda depressing that despite Slaanesh never having left, and at this point being back in focus as long if not longer than they were out of it within AoS, people still spread around this guff. Likewise claiming Slaanesh has been censored, as if swapping gratuitous badly sculpted tits for a more gnarly Hellraiser-esque aesthetic is some great tragedy.

Anyway, currently torn between Jade Dragon and Momma Stanky for which faction to play first when the DLC drops. Cathay's new units and improvements look great but a Kislev campaign divorced from the political minigame (Boris technically is being more of a kingmaker for it but lordy that Chaos Wastes start is ROUGH) sounds like heaven.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Personally I'm excited for this DLC cause it has a lot of potential to be extremely goofy fun, but this is largely because I play this game with two dudes whose friendship revolves mostly around incredible antagonism, and all three legendary lords getting added in this campaign actually have the potential for grand goofing. When the Chaos Dwarf DLC dropped the poo poo-fuckery that happened in our game was legendary. One friend refused to get any districts on the tower because the other friend was saving his influence up to immediately buy out whatever he went for so neither of them bought anything, the first friend also got ravaged from multiple directions by most of his enemies but when he put up an outpost in the other guys' capital to try to recruit better dudes he discovered to his horror there was nothing to build except labourers because the other guy had knocked them down out of a refusal to build anything except goblins.

My excitement at the thought of the things we'll be getting up to with these mechanics is very palpable.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, slaanesh died in aos cuz they wanna start the long task of making it pg

still sell the figurines tho

Slaanesh is not dead in AoS, never was, and isn't PG. People get so weird about GW wanting to represent Slaanesh as something other than "LOL TITTIES".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

Slaanesh is not dead in AoS, never was, and isn't PG. People get so weird about GW wanting to represent Slaanesh as something other than "LOL TITTIES".

Didn't GW just present Slaanesh a bit more like in 40k? From what I remember they still had daemonettes, but that was just one unit that almost no one took. The chaos players that I knew would always take noise marines or the other more interesting stuff. 40k slaanesh is more tentacles and teeth focusing on excess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Slaaneshi models got a huge improvement in AoS, mostly moving away from random tits. That harp bone thing is awesome.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
AoS is still pretty bad, the models are nice and well-designed but it’s not warhammer. I don’t know how you fix it but that’s how I feel.

I say that as I have stormcast that I’m painting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
AoS completely dropped my aesthetically favorite faction from Fantasy (Tomb Kings), so I was never going to like it. And no, the bone daddies aren't an acceptable replacement.

I know a couple of people who were big Bretonnia fans and likewise hated AoS for completely dropping Bretonnia and never bringing them back in any form.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Slaanesh's new units in AoS own and I hope they do hope some of them show up in the inevitable Slaanesh DLC (though increasingly unlikely with Forge World's recent attempts to border their games off from the rest of the Warhammer franchise in terms of both aesthetics and cross-compatability, which I suspect is the reason why the Tzaangors in SoC look nothing like the tabletop minis).

Bits of lore and design like Slaangors being more powerful and more blessed than their equivalents for other gods due to very few Beastmen having the cultured tastes in depravity to attract Slaanesh's attention are a much more compelling take on Slaanesh's spheres of influence than what the average meme-riddled Warhammer fan makes them out to be.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Strat map Ai updates in 4.0

quote:

What are we doing?

The AI often deals in diplomacy against those that are out of its range, which can make them ineffective as they create deals that they cannot benefit from, or make threats against those that don’t threaten them. The distance at which the AI engages in diplomacy has been halved, which should reduce this issue considerably. The overall distance scaling, as in, which targets the AI focuses on as a whole, has also been increased to make them prioritise nearer foes.

Speaking of those warmongering AI’s, they will now be less likely to declare war when they themselves are in a bad situation, which should reduce the overall number of feeble war declarations.

Next, the player is often considered to be the main threat to the AI in any campaign – and why wouldn’t you be, you’re a master of strategy – but this has led to a lot of bias against the player as a result. To combat this, the AI will now take longer to identify who the main threat is, meaning they won’t target the player so soon, assuming the player is excelling on the campaign map. AI’s will also suffer a greater negative impact based on how many wars they’re in, further cutting down on unnecessary bloodshed.

Plus, the AI is receiving general improvements to make them more potent, they will now have faith in their own garrisons more to prevent retreats (garrisons are also being buffed in 4.0), and they are more willing to defend their final settlement until their dying breath, meaning they won’t try to escape and require you to chase them around just to finish them off.

Also kislev gets a devotion draining commandment that removes chaos waste penalties

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Also kislev gets a devotion draining commandment that removes chaos waste penalties
Ok, that's actually a cool update for Kislev.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I sure hope somebody was fired for that blunder.

But good news on the AI Front. That's the kinda thing they should lead with in their "more money please" posts.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah that's a legit good change

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
Wait, garrisons are being buffed too? I don't know man, I think they were already buffed enough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Despacho posted:

Wait, garrisons are being buffed too? I don't know man, I think they were already buffed enough.

How so? They can be run over by pretty much any army you want even if you have the walls built (which don't actually build walls).

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I like the garrisons in 3, though buffing them a bit based on whst buildings you have would be nice as well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I got an issue with the 'must own entire province of chaos wastes' in order to get a commandment to lower the effects of being in said province.

In that it will take an entire province before you can even use the effect.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Despacho posted:

Garrisons were nerfed quite heavily as well as the whole city wall bit to where you can walk over most of them now. Except maybe the warriors of chaos garrisons.

They are being brought up just a smidge to the point that most are still pushovers.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
I mean, for me the point was to always have the little towns and poo poo not actually be able to defend themselves. In difficulties where at the beginning you don't have much money to spend, it's kinda of a slog having to do these little garrison battles because otherwise you lose too many of your own dudes. This will just make the game a bit more difficult at the start if you're expanding, I can see it benefiting the player on the defensive.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Current garrisons are so weak that the siege mechanic barely exists and people don't bother building walls. Attacking a fully developed garrison still feels like invading a ghost town, and the walls are so bad that the best defensive strategy is to ignore them. I'd say they need more than just a minor buff, and that it certainly isn't going to make things too difficult.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Supposedly the idea for garrisons is that you would recruit a new commander in a city that is under threat and then recruit a bunch of troops with them, combined with the garrison it'll give you an actual defense force. But given the AI knows the state of every city and how easy it is for them to simply march stance and go somewhere else, that doesn't really apply.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

I got an issue with the 'must own entire province of chaos wastes' in order to get a commandment to lower the effects of being in said province.

It works for me in a "bite and hold" kind of way. You'll still have to suffer through the wastes when it's owned by the enemy, but you can colonize the wastes in a limited way. It's at least different from just making them immune or resistant to chaos waste attrition.

Also I think instead of giving the oblasts a capital settlement just like any other province they could have given them a special settlement type like the elven colonies that give bonus...somethings. Growth and garrisons maybe? Bonus income to nearby cities? I get that it's a bit weird that the oblasts are just worse than other territories, but just making them homogenized seems like a mistake too.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Leal posted:

Supposedly the idea for garrisons is that you would recruit a new commander in a city that is under threat and then recruit a bunch of troops with them, combined with the garrison it'll give you an actual defense force. But given the AI knows the state of every city and how easy it is for them to simply march stance and go somewhere else, that doesn't really apply.

Yeah, I guess most of my frustration comes from the AI just moving stacks into the interior of my territory and attacking there. Oh well.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Third World Reagan posted:

I think the idea is that you still have to deal with some Chaos Wastes attrition if you're taking the fight to Chaos, but once you take some territory you can hold it and use it as a safe staging point for further assaults deeper into the Chaos Wastes.

Kaal posted:

Current garrisons are so weak that the siege mechanic barely exists and people don't bother building walls. Attacking a fully developed garrison still feels like invading a ghost town, and the walls are so bad that the best defensive strategy is to ignore them. I'd say they need more than just a minor buff, and that it certainly isn't going to make things too difficult.

Garrisons by themselves aren't (and shouldn't be) threatening to an army of decent size, but when a city is being defended by an army, adding the garrison to that army can make that city a difficult nut to crack. Buffing garrisons into a decent threat in their own right could make defended cities much harder to take.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

It works for me in a "bite and hold" kind of way. You'll still have to suffer through the wastes when it's owned by the enemy, but you can colonize the wastes in a limited way. It's at least different from just making them immune or resistant to chaos waste attrition.

It works well for Boris since his army is immune to Chaos Waste attrition so you can use him as the tip of the spear and once you are established you can move other armies through your territory or guard a border without the constant attrition.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Despacho posted:

Yeah, I guess most of my frustration comes from the AI just moving stacks into the interior of my territory and attacking there. Oh well.

you should have a turn or two when you see them walk into los if they aren't attacking anything. would give you time to hire some troops and deal with it

honestly this only really happens with those rogue forces or beastmen that spawn in deep in your territories

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What are you supposed to do with these ghost town garrison maps anyways as defenders? I just fight everyone at the walls, but I wonder if you're supposed to fight in the streets? I also never use the buff structures.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Some buff / debuff buildings are great

but unless you got amazing choke points, the enemy will send some around.

honestly, without an army or partial army, not much you can do

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

jokes posted:

What are you supposed to do with these ghost town garrison maps anyways as defenders? I just fight everyone at the walls, but I wonder if you're supposed to fight in the streets? I also never use the buff structures.

Depends on what units you have available and what you're up against. Ranged units on top of walls get a big advantage, and enemy units will badly fatigue themselves by climbing the walls, but you can't really exercise any kind of tactics in a melee atop the walls.

If a full or nearly-full stack is attacking a lone garrison, then the garrison is doomed regardless and the only thing they can do is take as many enemies with them as they can, weakening or slowing the enemy so that you'll have better conditions for intercepting them with your own army.

For that, I generally prefer to fight in the streets and use barricades, buff/debuff buildings, and sacrificial meatwalls to create favorable conditions to focus down a few units that strike the right balance of between being valuable and being vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sieges suck rear end to do on either end because the ticket system is stupid BUT the alternative to backcapping is getting half your poo poo shredded by towers the AI can micro perfectly, so buffing garrisons just makes me more inclined to install a "no more sieges / field battles everywhere" mod