Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Quick writeup on the Crimea op, should be an intersting one to watch throughout the day.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/24/crimea-landing-ukraine-military-special-operation-russia-war-19388629/

quote:

Ukrainian special forces have staged an audacious landing in annexed Crimea, according to Kyiv’s military intelligence.

A battle between Russian occupiers and Ukrainian special forces took place in Cape Tarkhankut in the temporarily annexed peninsula in the morning of August 24.

Kyiv sources confirmed the mission was successful and that there had been no Ukrainian casualties during the operation.

The location is close to where Ukraine destroyed a Russian S-400 air defence system a day earlier.

Ukrainian intelligence spokeperson Andriy Yusov said: ‘Units of the GUR of the Ministry of Defense made a landing in Crimea as part of a special operation at Cape Tarkhankut.’

Although he gave few details of the operation, he confirmed that ‘The goals have been achieved.’

The special operation was reportedly carried out by the Ukrainian navy.

Russian sources suggested ten people came in two rubber boats and alleged they had shot at a campsite.

Telegram channel Baza claims that those who stayed at the camping site in Olenivka at night, located near Mayak, heard two loud shots.

When people went out to see who was shooting, they saw two rubber boats with about 10 people in them about 10 metres from the shore. Several more shots from automatic weapons rang out when the unknowns realised they were spotted. The people in the boats swam away after a brief gunfight.

Although some Russian sources say the Ukrainian force was ‘destroyed’ there has been no confirmation of this, and the reports have been disputed by pro-war Moscow channels.

Major-General Kyrylo Budanov, the head of Ukrainian military intelligence,had previously hinted at action in Crimea.

Putin has controlled Crimea since 2014 when his forces annexed the Black Sea peninsula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Its just a pinprick raid but its still damned impressive considering they have no navy and don't have air superiority.

Balls of steel.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Congrats to President Putin for being the first authoritarian ruler to execute a political enemy with an anti aircraft weapon.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So I'm assuming that the Ukrainian forces aren't in Crimea and are back in Ukraine? Can they make a large scale amphibious landing on the west coast of Crimea?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Willo567 posted:

So I'm assuming that the Ukrainian forces aren't in Crimea and are back in Ukraine? Can they make a large scale amphibious landing on the west coast of Crimea?

No.

They don't have a navy and no air superiority.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
By the sound of things this seems like it was a bit of a run and gun operation. 10 Ukr troops sailed in, conducted some sort of raid and then evacuated the area before Russia could muster a response.

Who knows why they carried out the raid in the first place, but whatever their reasons they seem to have been successful.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

Absolutely not. No suitable ships to transfer and supply sizeable army, not enough long range artillery to provide fire support, under Russian air superiority? It would be suicide.

Commando raids? Sure why not, it keeps Russians busy, but actual large scale amphibious landing is impossible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Splorange posted:

No.

They don't have a navy and no air superiority.

To be fair, neither does Russia (effectively speaking) :v:

pablo gbscobar posted:

By the sound of things this seems like it was a bit of a run and gun operation. 10 Ukr troops sailed in, conducted some sort of raid and then evacuated the area before Russia could muster a response.

Who knows why they carried out the raid in the first place, but whatever their reasons they seem to have been successful.

Some kind of reconnaissance most likely, or maybe they're just stirring up poo poo and keeping Russian forces guessing. Honestly, do they really have to do much to keep Russia jumping?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Congrats to President Putin for being the first authoritarian ruler to execute a political enemy with an anti aircraft weapon.
Nah, that's a North Korean tradition.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1694607048351105517

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1694585117480538139

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1694653600985723382

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

pablo gbscobar posted:

The area the Ukrainian SF reportedly landed in has a pair of radar stations (Nebo-M and a Kasta-2E2) near-ish to the coastline.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

It'd be a good plot twist but I would imagine they were going by more than just the flight plan to verify he was on it

Even better plot twist would be Putin and Prigozhin planned it together so Putin didn't lose face and Prig could make a clean break by selling out his friends and faking his own death

Even better plot twist was this was the plan and then they shot down the wrong plane and killed him anyways.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Putin isn't the first, Kim Jong Un executed some staff with anti-aircraft guns a few years back. He might be the first to actually use them against a flying target.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Well, there had to be an easier way? Why shoot a plane when you can execute him after landing? What is the reasoning behind this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bratwurst massage posted:

Well, there had to be an easier way? Why shoot a plane when you can execute him after landing? What is the reasoning behind this

No need to trust anyone at the base staff except missile firing guy who you, uh, don't tell about whose on the plane.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bratwurst massage posted:

Pushing the plane crash or accident angle domestically, perhaps? Too early to tell, I think.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1694657260453019722

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe it's not just killing an opponent, but sending a message? You have to admit that being missiled out of existence is one heck of a spectacle.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
If you believe any of the poo poo that comes out about North Korean executions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, no south korean news service reported on that

unlike americans, south korea has an actual ability and inclination to read the poo poo the northerners put out

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

The area the Ukrainian SF reportedly landed in has a pair of radar stations (Nebo-M and a Kasta-2E2) near-ish to the coastline.

Many people saying this!

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1694624127720587377?t=hJd7hxDZ2nMr1mzAKmEaJg&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1694595570029957449
Everywhere I only see fonts collapsing :laugh:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

She can't keep getting away with this!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

She can't keep getting away with this!

If Semen Hydenko could keep doing it, Hillary Clintenko can do it even more easily :laugh:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

More hot news from telegram, this time from Colonel Shuvalov:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Russia uses the American date format or was that translated as well?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

zone posted:

More hot news from telegram, this time from Colonel Shuvalov:

Im going to guess its translated since everything else is. Could be fake but it would be the first time there is some downtrodden tone message from some higher up.

I love all these types of broadcast - i have no idea if its just the translation but poo poo like 'catastrophy is inevitible' and 'its too late' is loving hilarious to read.

It's not too late, you all just go home and everyone lives.

Everytime someone wants to say it Putin's fault, they have to dial it right back.

These people are career soldiers, they know how the system works and they know where the problem is, but they skirt around the language and end up with a big 'welp and it cant be helped' tone.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

freelop posted:

Russia uses the American date format or was that translated as well?

No, they use the day/month/year format, but I'm not sure why it was translated this way. Maybe in the original post it was also written like that.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

numptyboy posted:

Im going to guess its translated since everything else is. Could be fake but it would be the first time there is some downtrodden tone message from some higher up.

I love all these types of broadcast - i have no idea if its just the translation but poo poo like 'catastrophy is inevitible' and 'its too late' is loving hilarious to read.

It's not too late, you all just go home and everyone lives.

Everytime someone wants to say it Putin's fault, they have to dial it right back.

These people are career soldiers, they know how the system works and they know where the problem is, but they skirt around the language and end up with a big 'welp and it cant be helped' tone.

I don't believe this person is an actual officer, but a blogger named after a historical figure (but they could be both!).

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1694671975786971173#m
:(

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I'm working on the theory that he is several shits held together with gaffer tape. It's the intestinal worms that are calling the shots though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

If you believe any of the poo poo that comes out about North Korean executions.

Lmao that this is all it took for you to come rushing out in defense of North Korea of all places.

It's not even the most audacious or hosed up assassination/execution North Korea has done.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 24, 2023

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
It's incredibly shortsighted of Prigozhin to not prerecord a message in the case of his assassination.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Our work here is done. :black101:

-----------------

Lovely Independence Day for Ukraine, knowing Putin he will have missiles/drones on the way. :argh:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kchama posted:

Lmao that this is all it took for you to come rushing out in defense of North Korea of all places.

I have studied North Korea and worked on it as part of a job and the poster you quoted is correct. There's no evidence that the two ministers were executed by anti-aircraft guns, and knowing North Korean execution strategies, it doesn't make sense that they'd take all that time to set up and load the gun when taking them out back immediately and shooting them with a regular rifle will do. Beyond that, Joongang Ilbo is well known to be pretty wild about North Korean claims

It's not defending North Korea if you're just correcting misinformation on them. They're horrific enough with what we actually can verify without having to make up poo poo about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I can't find more details on this yet, but they had in the range of ~50 MLU F-16s, and have already received a significant portion of the F-35s they are replacing the F-16s with. This could be a significant quantity of airframes.