Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Calexio posted:

I was recently completely blown away by how many of my friends and family said they didn't think they could name ten albums. Not ten albums of one particular artist, just ten albums period. Completely incomprehensible to me, to the point I think many of them must have been loving with me despite how sincere they sounded.

No, why would you care what the album is called? I grew up in the era of tapes becoming cds and I'd probably struggle to name 10 albums. Spotify has made the problem way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Im the protagonist and my knowledge is the default set!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Im the protagonist and my knowledge is the default set!

Excuse me, but it's me.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

feedmyleg posted:

If you had asked me yesterday what Lilith Fair was I would have guessed either a music artist or an upscale home furnishings company.

I think Music People tend to forget that not everyone is a Music Person and are left aghast at people not knowing what they consider foundational knowledge. Just like I always forget that not everyone is a Movie Person and am dumbfounded when someone doesn't know who Hitchcock is or whatever.

Hitchcock is from Brooklyn 99 which is a TV show not a movie, get it right MORAN

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just need to know 5 Taylor Swift albums and then add the Taylor's Version ones. Easy.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

No, why would you care what the album is called? I grew up in the era of tapes becoming cds and I'd probably struggle to name 10 albums. Spotify has made the problem way worse.

Why the gently caress would I watch a whole rear end movie when all the best bits are on youtube?

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Captain Monkey posted:

Morpheus posted:

I can't. I never owned albums when I was younger and these days everything is individual downloads and such.

Yeah these were basically the responses I got from them too and, putting my wildly hyperbolic end to that first post aside, I can certainly understand that! Heck, I do most of my music listening nowadays through a mish-mash Spotify playlist too. Was just very surprising to realize how wrong I was at the time.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

W424 posted:

Why the gently caress would I watch a whole rear end movie when all the best bits are on youtube?

if a majority of the movies were anthologies yeah this would be the situation, you'd refer to the skit name instead of the collection of short films

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (x10)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Now That's What I Call Music
Now That's What I Call Music 2
Now That's What I Call Music 3
Now That's What I Call Music 4
Now That's What I Call Music 5
Now That's What I Call Music 6
Now That's What I Call Music 7
Now That's What I Call Music 8
Now That's What I Call Music 9

that's all I know :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"How many Yazz albums do you have on this thing?"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
This generation will never know the soul crushing disappointment of hearing a cool song on the radio, buying the album at Tower Records for $18.99 and the rest of the songs are just hot garbage.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eight-Six posted:

if a majority of the movies were anthologies yeah this would be the situation, you'd refer to the skit name instead of the collection of short films

See people referring to Monty Python sketches as opposed to Monty Python episodes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh can you name 10 youtube videos?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yes but number 8 will SHOCK you

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

yes but number 8 will SHOCK you

lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The one with the monkey that falls over
The one with cats doing funny things

Um

The one of a guy into a manhole

You know, all the classics

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Frank Frank posted:

The one of a guy into a manhole

I think I saw this one of a different video hub

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/AndroidArts/status/1694377438287966317

:thunk:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I used to be really Into Music (including being able to tell you what Lilith Fair was, although I didn’t know that was a marker until today), but I’ve become able to understand people who relate to music in a different, less intense way. I’ve gone to a couple of festivals recently where I didn’t know any of the acts or really cared about who I would make an effort to watch, I was just there to be “around music” and enjoy the atmosphere. While 15 years ago I’d plan out my itinerary in painstaking detail, get anxious about set conflicts, and probably even research the set lists in advance on fan message boards.

There is a certain joy that comes from being really into something, but there is a different, perhaps more relaxed, joy that comes from enjoying things as a non-obsessive, non-expert.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oh for gently caress's sake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could have gone with both trains going in the same direction and ask if that means that the people on the tracks get fired from the blue portal into the orange portal gaining momentum each time or whether they simply get picked up and laid on the track repeatedly.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

hell I can still name 10 vines and vine has been dead for a while

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I can name at least three albums

Days of the New - Days of the New

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

W99P2PgnkiU, oGBEQ_qOlU8, ffCncuLcZXE, 34IXBIWQJ28, S8Znlzzj268, V-OKSpI9Jh4, UlT2rFO233M, 2KPmAN_Giog, NuLUT7dvTyA, wckjFFMDNJA, and rcDwSn3U4uk.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ultrafilter posted:

W99P2PgnkiU, oGBEQ_qOlU8, ffCncuLcZXE, 34IXBIWQJ28, S8Znlzzj268, V-OKSpI9Jh4, UlT2rFO233M, 2KPmAN_Giog, NuLUT7dvTyA, wckjFFMDNJA, and rcDwSn3U4uk.

All Classics

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I can name at least three albums

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Liked them more when they were still jNQXAC9IVRw

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Two. You and Me Both and Upstairs at Eric's.

Oh, my bad. That's Yaz.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/WKBN/status/1694461472800133203?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The CDC can suck my loving dick, those little guys deserve kisses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

The CDC can suck my loving dick, those little guys deserve kisses.

This is the weirdest threesome.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
two turtles loving my wife

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Upstairs At Eric's still good in 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

W424 posted:

Eight-Six posted:

Yeah it's closer to knowing the episode titles of ITYSL instead of referring to the skits you liked. Did I watch the whole thing? Sure. Do I know the name? Nah.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

D-Pad posted:

Upstairs At Eric's still good in 2023

It will never stop being fantastic

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Benagain posted:

Mr O'Neill?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

ultrafilter posted:

quote:

S8Znlzzj268

*whispers while doing jazz hands*

snazzlejazz!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Benagain posted:

Mitch gettin freaky

Adbot