Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’ve said it before, but if FF16 is an RPG then so is AC6. And both are most definitely from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bugblatter posted:

I’ve said it before, but if FF16 is an RPG then so is AC6. And both are most definitely from Japan.

I would be hesitant to call any game where a regular playthrough takes 30+ hours an "action game".

FF16 has loads of action for sure but its the story and characters that are the main focus.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I seem to be the only person on the planet but I will buy that PS5 streaming handheld and enjoy it! Assuming it’s not laggy and pixilated on my wifi that is.

bitch boy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bugblatter posted:

:hmmyes:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm super glad that we can play on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 amazing spanish games like Blasphemous, Blade of Darkness, Praetorians and Commandos.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

I would be hesitant to call any game where a regular playthrough takes 30+ hours an "action game".

I don’t follow your reasoning but I’ll run along with it because a few reviewers said AC6 took 30+ hours and that lets me consider it support for my argument.

But also now Sekiro isn’t an action game. Oh no.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

I can’t follow this at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I just don't know if it qualifies as an RPG! I need an official ruling.

I am fully committed to this gimmick

Armored Core lies at the intersection between Front Mission, King's Field, and Gran Turismo. This new one is also 13% Sekiro.

That means that ACVI is at least 87% RPG from Japan.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it currently exists as a 43GB file on my drive, ya putz

Getting cancelled and deleted from your ps5 at midnight mate

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Armored Core lies at the intersection between Front Mission, King's Field, and Gran Turismo. This new one is also 13% Sekiro.

That means that ACVI is at least 87% RPG from Japan.

But where on the spectrum of "Not an RPG - RPG Elements - Full Blown RPG" is 87%? I feel like we're getting closer to an answer but still in a huge grey area :thunk:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Capcom go all out on DMC6. Pack in tons of content. Just so many biomes, characters, enemies, and bosses. Determined to make the ultimate action game.

The game releases and the devs look on in horror as the average playtime passes 30 hours. It is no longer an action game. They have failed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Any game with a skill tree counts as an action RPG.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I only have two bosses left on Blasphemous one when I put it down last year The medusa crypt lady and the very last one. The medusa crypt lady was very tough and I put it down because I was really struggling. I have no doubt I could probably beat the last boss but I really want to finish the crypt lady first.

Might reinstall and boot it back up and see if I can remember anything that I was doing so that I can then play Blasphemous II.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Guys, Armored core is a jrpg.

Japanese
ROBOT
PUNCHING
GAME

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Ineffiable posted:

Japanese
ROBOT
PUNCHING
GAME

Well, there you have it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ineffiable posted:

Japanese
ROBOT
PUNCHING
GAME

The most convincing argument I've heard yet

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Japanese
ROBOT
PUNCHING
GAME

Can't argue with that

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ineffiable posted:

Japanese
ROBOT
PUNCHING
GAME

Oh hell guess I'll play an JRPG then

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JBP posted:

Why is he Hitler saluting that woman?

Bro, that's his hat, bro.

And his hat is a know anti-semite.

AC6 looks cool. Think my friend is getting it so I'll probably try it out. I get the feeling it won't be getting GOTY though, unless it gets wider appeal (which is entirely possible, there have been surprise hits this year with stuff like Remnant II). The negatives that some people have been noting, while maybe mainstays of the series and indicative that AC is back, will probably get a number of people going "Yeah it's really good, could be GOTY, but-"

Also, gently caress, this has been such a banner year for games, what the gently caress. I just bought a house, I neither have the time nor the money for all these incredible games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got an email saying I'm not going to get AC6 for release day ;_; And my order is currently 'in dispatch' so I can't cancel it!!!

Honestly not that bothered since I have a poo poo load of other stuff to play, maybe if I stay up all night I can finish Blasphemous 2 before it arrives.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait I just remembered they took money for it like three days ago now I'm annoyed again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hit.com more like Miss.com

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
wasn't going to get AC6 but that gif of swappable weapon parts is borderline arousing

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Decided to grab Blasphemous 2 as a travel game for the Switch since I've almost wrapped up Octopath 2. Played a bit of it, took down a handful of bosses and explored a bunch of areas. It's good. Very much just "more Blasphemous," but that's all I really wanted it to be.

My only real complaint is the cartoony non-pixel art animated cutscenes they patched into the original game are back in spades and I still don't like them all that much.

Morpheus posted:

AC6 looks cool. Think my friend is getting it so I'll probably try it out. I get the feeling it won't be getting GOTY though, unless it gets wider appeal (which is entirely possible, there have been surprise hits this year with stuff like Remnant II). The negatives that some people have been noting, while maybe mainstays of the series and indicative that AC is back, will probably get a number of people going "Yeah it's really good, could be GOTY, but-"

The big media outlets are obviously gonna give GotY to BG3 or Starfield. For a certain kind of gamer, AC6 will certainly be their personal GotY though.

I have no idea what my personal will be. Octopath 2 will be somewhere on my top five list, I'm confident in that. Jedi Survivor has a good chance of hanging onto a top 10 spot, but there is a lot coming up. I think AC6 or Ghostrunner 2 will take first place, but gotta play them first. Will Dark Souls Reaver, aka Lords of the Fallen, be good enough to get a ranking? It's an interesting blend of two of my favorite franchises and previews from Souls veterans are very positive...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It is very likely my personal GOTY will be Spider-Man 2 but it is wild how many choices there are

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWHdcy6m1Y

New trailer for another one I'm looking forward to this year. FPS bullet hell with a wild art style.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bugblatter posted:

Decided to grab Blasphemous 2 as a travel game for the Switch since I've almost wrapped up Octopath 2. Played a bit of it, took down a handful of bosses and explored a bunch of areas. It's good. Very much just "more Blasphemous," but that's all I really wanted it to be.

My only real complaint is the cartoony non-pixel art animated cutscenes they patched into the original game are back in spades and I still don't like them all that much.

The big media outlets are obviously gonna give GotY to BG3 or Starfield. For a certain kind of gamer, AC6 will certainly be their personal GotY though.

I have no idea what my personal will be. Octopath 2 will be somewhere on my top five list, I'm confident in that. Jedi Survivor has a good chance of hanging onto a top 10 spot, but there is a lot coming up. I think AC6 or Ghostrunner 2 will take first place, but gotta play them first. Will Dark Souls Reaver, aka Lords of the Fallen, be good enough to get a ranking? It's an interesting blend of two of my favorite franchises and previews from Souls veterans are very positive...

Did you forget Zelda: Tears of the kingdom came out? And Super Mario Wonder will release in time for the goty season.

And not to mention Spider-Man 2 which will be popular as well. I think spider-man 1 is the best selling ps4 game of all time.

Its actually a really insane year dudes!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Did you forget Zelda: Tears of the kingdom came out? And Super Mario Wonder will release in time for the goty season.

Its actually a really insane year dudes!

I personally don't think those will take goty from major publications over BG3 and Starfield. I did like TotK a lot though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bugblatter posted:

I personally don't think those will take goty from major publications over BG3 and Starfield. I did like TotK a lot though.

Starfield has the potential to be very disappointing in the same way Fallout 4 was and not be fixed enough before the GOTY discussions start, and I'd bet not enough people at major publications would've played BG3 for it to get much traction.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

sure seems like the life delay from covid bunched up a ton of releases into this year. i imagine most of what we've seen should've come out in 2020-2022, but it's all just now getting done. hard to see anything like this year happening in normal times. gonna need another black swan to cause another build up like this.

speaking of, what the hell is even coming out next year? it might just be a total dead zone, which is fine. there's a ton to play from this year. but i really can't think of any big games slated for next year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

sure seems like the life delay from covid bunched up a ton of releases into this year. i imagine most of what we've seen should've come out in 2020-2022, but it's all just now getting done. hard to see anything like this year happening in normal times. gonna need another black swan to cause another build up like this.

speaking of, what the hell is even coming out next year? it might just be a total dead zone, which is fine. there's a ton to play from this year. but i really can't think of any big games slated for next year.

Tekken 8, persona 3 reload, home world 3, black myth wukong, FINAL loving FANTASY 7 REBIRTH, LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH, Rise of the Ronin, Stalker 2, maybe hollow knight silksong?

Dude there's a lot to be excited for.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

FF7 Rebirth and Wolverine(?) are the big PS ones I’m aware of. Not sure what else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Granblue Relink is early 2024 too

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And that's what we know of that's trying to target 2024. There's totally gonna be like ten games at this year's game awards that'll be revealed or updated to come out for 2024.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hopefully Hades 2

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

Tekken 8, persona 3 reload, home world 3, black myth wukong, FINAL loving FANTASY 7 REBIRTH, LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH, Rise of the Ronin, Stalker 2, maybe hollow knight silksong?

Dude there's a lot to be excited for.

hmm, fair. i thought ff7 and tekken 8 were coming out later this year. didn't know persona 3 was getting a rerelease, so that's fun.

still, that seems waaaaaay more normal than this year. not exactly a dearth, but...normalish. maybe a slight dip. still plenty of time for new games to be announced, so yea.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh gently caress off I forgot FF7: Rebirth is this year too ahhhhh

njsykora posted:

Starfield has the potential to be very disappointing in the same way Fallout 4 was and not be fixed enough before the GOTY discussions start, and I'd bet not enough people at major publications would've played BG3 for it to get much traction.

Starfield will be a Bethesda game. It's reductive to say "It's Oblivion in space" but, well, every game from Bethesda since Oblivion has just been that. It will likely be extremely big, extremely shallow, and will gain critical praise across the board for some reason and earn multiple GOTY awards because it feels so 'epic'.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bugblatter posted:

Always bet on Nintendo fanboys.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Starfield looks like a darker no man’s sky to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They reversed course on some of the stupider decisions they made on Fallout 4 (voiced protag, stupid 4-choice dialogue wheel) so I have some hope that Starfield goes back to their roots a little so to speak. I still play Oblivion (and Skyrim) every couple of years so if Starfield can join that pantheon then I will consider it a success.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Starfield looks like a darker no man’s sky to me
They definitely took some inspiration from it in the scanning/gathering aspect but it doesn't seem like it's even remotely the same kind of game in general