Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

is there a use case for hill hold on a car with an automatic transmission? Can't for the life of me figure out why they put that in my forester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking about a future, Subaru EV, climbing a mountain :)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arson Daily posted:

is there a use case for hill hold on a car with an automatic transmission? Can't for the life of me figure out why they put that in my forester.

It sets the parking brake automatically when in traffic.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

But why tho

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So you can "coast" uphill without jumping back and forth to the brake pedal.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Huh. I'll have to try that out then. NGL I'm veering pretty close to "I don't understand it therefore I don't like it" territory which is totally on me but also an unsettling realization of where I am in my life. Huh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

Huh. I'll have to try that out then. NGL I'm veering pretty close to "I don't understand it therefore I don't like it" territory which is totally on me but also an unsettling realization of where I am in my life. Huh

I've got it and it's not actively harmful but it a little weird to get used to. I like it now. It's not one of the things I can't live without like the bumping your turn signal to get 3 flashes thing vag does. Not sure that made it to suby because the newest one I regularly deal with is an 08.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

On the outback you still have buttons for changing the temperature, front/rear defrost and volume/power. Other than the lack of a play/pause button it seems like a good setup.

Does the screen in the WRX/Crosstrek/Impreza miss some of those buttons?

Pressing and holding the "Source" button on the steering wheel acts as play/pause button. Also the tune knob can be used to go forward/back when playing music.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Motronic posted:

I've got it and it's not actively harmful but it a little weird to get used to. I like it now. It's not one of the things I can't live without like the bumping your turn signal to get 3 flashes thing vag does. Not sure that made it to suby because the newest one I regularly deal with is an 08.

That did. My '20 WRX definitely has it and I'm pretty sure my '15 Impreza had it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Hi thread, non Subaru owner here popping in with a question because I'm finding conflicting information online, and hoping one of you might know the answer.

I've been exploring cars for an upcoming purchase and have been evaluating the 2024 Legacy Sport model. One of the reviews I read mentioned a few negatives that I hadn't read in other reviews:

1. The automatic "stop-start" system.
2. Forward collision warning is overly sensitive and will pump the brakes and sound alerts as you come gradually to a stop.
3. AVH can be annoying.

I've been unable to find out if these are only on by default and can be turned off, or if they're on by default and cannot be deactivated. Someone on a recent page mentioned that you can turn down the sensitivity of some of the EyeSight features, which might be where the collision warning / braking thing can be adjusted, but what about the stop-start "feature" and AVH?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Did Subaru stop offering the Crosstrek hybrid? It's not even listed on their web site anymore.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Funzo posted:

Did Subaru stop offering the Crosstrek hybrid? It's not even listed on their web site anymore.

It’s dead Jim

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Hi thread, non Subaru owner here popping in with a question because I'm finding conflicting information online, and hoping one of you might know the answer.

I've been exploring cars for an upcoming purchase and have been evaluating the 2024 Legacy Sport model. One of the reviews I read mentioned a few negatives that I hadn't read in other reviews:

1. The automatic "stop-start" system.
2. Forward collision warning is overly sensitive and will pump the brakes and sound alerts as you come gradually to a stop.
3. AVH can be annoying.

I've been unable to find out if these are only on by default and can be turned off, or if they're on by default and cannot be deactivated. Someone on a recent page mentioned that you can turn down the sensitivity of some of the EyeSight features, which might be where the collision warning / braking thing can be adjusted, but what about the stop-start "feature" and AVH?

1. It sucks and the car lurches when it starts itself. Its not as quick or smooth as systems on other cars I've driven.
2. I never once had an issue but a few people are loud complainers.
3. This was off for me by default.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Funzo posted:

They sure didn’t seem to make very many of them when they were offered.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

By all accounts it was an underwhelming and uncompetitive product

Maybe they’ll try again and put some effort into it this time

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

They made just enough for regulatory compliance. FWIW I can't imagine wanting a crosstrek with even less cargo space than I have in my non-hybrid one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

hobbesmaster posted:

It was very half assed barely a handful of Kw motor and a tiny battery that took the place of the spare wheel.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It was very half assed barely a handful of Kw motor and a tiny battery that took the place of the spare wheel.

Holy poo poo that's bad

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Decided to switch to a build thread as I think seeing the progress will help keep me more motivated.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039720

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I have the hill hold thing on my STI and it's fantastic. Though like once in a while on an almost completely flat ground it will come on when I'm not expecting it and I'll almost stall the car.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I loved the hill hold on my old wrx; I got so used to it I catch myself burning the clutch or just straight up rolling backwards with my current car. Probably the one quality of life feature I miss the most.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just wanted to share for anyone else running into 2013 era CVT issues... it seems that the common failure mode is with the pressure control solenoid, for which the symptoms match exactly what I experienced, as well the OBD2 code (P0795).

Well, turns out, it's actually a relatively cheap and simple repair far as I can tell after having watched exactly one video on YouTube university. 1200$ will get you a new oem valve body replacement, and it literally just bolts in and out of the top of the transmission, easily accessible in the top of the engine bay once you move the air intake out of the way.

I'm actually kinda livid that nobody would bother diagnosing or touching this thing given how cheap and easy the fix seems like it would've been. I really thought transmissions would be entirely too complicated, difficult, and cumbersome for me to do anything with so I didn't even try, and just figured that there was a good reason nobody bothered doing poo poo about it. Boy howdy I'm really dumb... last time I ever visit a dealer. Transmission diagnostic service my rear end... I paid 140 as a line item on my invoice for a diagnosis that was just "transmission bad, has internal issues". Fifteen minutes on the googler and I've got a much better diagnosis and a solution that doesn't involve a total cvt replacement. gently caress

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Hope it works out for you. I own my first subaru now after being a shade tree mechanic for a while and am impressed how friendly the layout is for most work. Plus there are some quality resources out there to help guide you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Opinions on the Outback Wilderness? Worth the price markup or no?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mutata posted:

If you want to have slightly better offroad capability from the factory, sure.

Pro: Turbo, 1" taller springs, Yokohama AT Tires, Full Size Spare, Final Drive from the Ascent for more torque and better climbing capability, Dual Function X Mode, heavier roof rails support up to 700lbs static load, also tie down points on the rails, StarTex waterproof seat material, LED fog lights, 17" wheels for more sidewall cushioning offroad. First year models came with factory skid plates, but Russia was making those and a war happened, so now they ship with standard plastic underbody shields. You can still find the Subaru brand ones at some dealers to purchase separately, but stock is limited. 2024+ comes with HarmanKardon and heated steering wheel standard. Heated steering wheel not available on previous years.

Con: Worse MPG (26 vs 30 highway) due to final drive and AT tires, seats do not breathe at all, no included fold-out cross bars

The additional ground clearance is still hindered by the atrocious approach angle. If you're planning a lift or new tires on a standard model, it might be worth it to get the Wilderness to not have to do that. If you're planning on driving places with steep climbs, it might be worth it to get the Wilderness. If you want air conditioned seats, the Wilderness doesn't have these. If you want to spend less money, I've seen minivans and Focus STs on all of the fire roads and trails I've been on, so you'll probably be fine.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mutata posted:

It's a great looking car that almost no one drives in the wilderness.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I mean in the US bicycles and chainsaws and other "mechanized" equipment aren't even allowed in the Wilderness, let alone cars.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Update on my recent whole transmission debacle and endless ranting about CVTs -- someone suggested I reach out to Subaru directly, and, well, they actually did a lot more than I would have anticipated!

I explained what happened, they looked at it for a few days, and offered to cover a bit less than half of the repair cost since the work was completed at the dealer. I'm honestly shocked, I wasn't expecting anything, and all things considered, I'm actually pretty content with this outcome. Knowing what I know now about the pressure control solenoid being the common failure mode that aligned with the OBD2 code I pulled, and that it's a relatively easy part to replace (if a bit pricey when you add the relearn process in), and the fact that I should hopefully be able to squeeze at least another 100k on this reman transmission before having to worry about it again, I'm fine chalking this up to poo poo happens.

I really do like the overall utility of the Outback and that so much of it has been easy for me work (far moreso than virtually any other vehicle I've touched), so I guess 5k to reset the timer on the whole CVT is something I can live with. Only real longevity question for me now is whether the previous years' head gasket issues were indeed resolved on the 2013 model year, but at this point it's almost a moot question as I'm committed to turning this into the Station Wagon of Theseus

:homebrew:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Catatron Prime posted:

the Station Wagon of Theseus

This is literally why I bought my Subaru. As long as I replace every part over time, most of which are available for a decade-plus of model years (more if we consider the Forester and Impreza as sources), I will have a car that lives longer than me.

Granted, it's already 30 years old and those replacements are coming faster and faster, but buying a car part by part is cheaper than buying one all at once, right?

...right? :ohdear:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

This is literally why I bought my Subaru. As long as I replace every part over time, most of which are available for a decade-plus of model years (more if we consider the Forester and Impreza as sources), I will have a car that lives longer than me.

Granted, it's already 30 years old and those replacements are coming faster and faster, but buying a car part by part is cheaper than buying one all at once, right?

...right? :ohdear:

That's actually a really good question... crunching all the numbers from the maintenance I've put in vs purchase price, etc, I think I'm still probably saving roughly 7k on a new comparable vehicle by purchasing one that's about 9 years old.

Also admittedly largely my own fault for buying a car at the peak of the worst possible time in living memory, but that's life. I also might be a masochist because somehow after all that, I still really like the car

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 25, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the older car will always be cooler in every scenario

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

mutata posted:

I've got a '23 Forester wilderness and like it fine but outside of an appearance package I don't think it's really worth the price unless you're really gonna use xmode a lot. The seats are great if you do dirty things or have kids/dogs as you can just spray clean them and wipe with a towel. As mentioned they don't breathe like at all so you'll sweat in the summer. Those drat Yokohama tires track every groove in the road too. Def getting something different when they wear out.

Get blue it's the best color :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is there such a thing as not using a turbo enough? I've been mostly commuting recently and staying out of boost but went out for a nice drive last weekend and noticed that when I got into boost the turbo sounded a little off. Almost like stuttering or something like that but power delivery felt fine and no smoke was visible. After a few pulls it seemed to be ok though so I'm wondering if it just needed to shake off some dust?

It's my first turbo engine so maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention. Still (!) on stock engine and tune so in that regard I'm assuming it's well within it's operating limits.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Wastegate and impeller issues are possible on all turbos. An experienced mechanic, particularly with that vehicle can usually tell if the turbo isn't healthy by sound alone. Eventually it will manifest into problems with poor gas mileage or performance.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I’m in the market for a new manual transmission BRZ. A driver took a left out of a parking lot, without looking, in front of me about a month ago. So I’m replacing my totaled car. Really excited to get this BRZ.

I asked a dealer to build me one. A 2023 model would arrive in November. But i also asked if I could get the 2024 model. They’ve told me they can’t make any promises yet, but given the information they have, the 2024 builds aren’t far off.

Only major difference between the ‘23 and the ‘24 is the ‘24 has EyeSight, on a manual transmission. I did total my previous car… so I’m leaning towards waiting for the ‘24 for safety reasons. Any opinions on EyeSight? is there any reason I wouldn’t want the EyeSight?

I did read that the automatic braking can stall a manual. I also read that on older Subaru’s, if you didn’t want Eyesight you’d have to turn the system off every time you start the car, but that seems to be changed for new Subarus.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

net work error posted:

Is there such a thing as not using a turbo enough? I've been mostly commuting recently and staying out of boost but went out for a nice drive last weekend and noticed that when I got into boost the turbo sounded a little off. Almost like stuttering or something like that but power delivery felt fine and no smoke was visible. After a few pulls it seemed to be ok though so I'm wondering if it just needed to shake off some dust?

It's my first turbo engine so maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention. Still (!) on stock engine and tune so in that regard I'm assuming it's well within it's operating limits.

How many miles and what year? Driving at low boost isn’t bad for turbos. Your issue sounds either like nothing or possibly a faulty waste gate actuator. Worked in the industry for a while and lower temperatures, pressures and speeds are never an issue for turbos.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I like eyesight. The adaptive cruise and stop and go functions will probably be limited in some ways. Plus it will probably lower your insurance costs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Adaptive cruise works just fine on my Golf R with a manual. You can even upshift and downshift while having it engaged.

Sure, I guess the risk is there if you are emergency braking, but understand that emergency braking is there to apply the brakes with full force fractions of a second before you might have reacted so most of the time you would have already been going for the brake and clutch pedal in that sort of situation and will likely disengage the clutch before the car has a chance to stall.

About the only thing that doesn't work at all on the Golf R in a manual is stop and go traffic and that's to be expected.

This is certainly one of the things I'm waiting for before trading in my 2015 BRZ on a new one. Adaptive cruse is something that cannot be overstated in how nice it makes longer drives. Blind-spot detection and rear cross-traffic alert is also something that I really want on my next BRZ due to the limited visibility from certain angles and just being lower than everyone else. Trying to back out of a parking space flanked by two SUVs is a exercise of creeping and praying.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 26, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a loaner Outback in 2019 and I hated the eyesight. It was very aggressive and kept moving my steering wheel. In my 2024, the new version just beeps at me sometimes and hasn't tried to take control.

The lane holding cruise control doesn't work well in cross winds. You keep bouncing from one side of the lane to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I had a loaner Outback in 2019 and I hated the eyesight. It was very aggressive and kept moving my steering wheel. In my 2024, the new version just beeps at me sometimes and hasn't tried to take control.

The lane holding cruise control doesn't work well in cross winds. You keep bouncing from one side of the lane to the other.

You can configure the 2019 to behave like the 24 and vice versa. Unfortunately the options are clear as mud