Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Oh gently caress off I forgot FF7: Rebirth is this year too ahhhhh

it's early next year, turns out.

also, did they ever announce how many installments they were doing for this ff7 project? hopefully just 3. i don't see how they could extend it more without ruining it in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When I first heard Starfield was going for a NASA-tech aesthetic, I thought that sounded really cool, but then everything I've seen then has been fancy space tech and some weird wild-west vibe and then you fight space bandits to defend space settlements.

abelwingnut posted:

also, did they ever announce how many installments they were doing for this ff7 project? hopefully just 3. i don't see how they could extend it more without ruining it in some way.

I am simultaneously glad but also very unhappy because I want to play it but also don't have time drat

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

abelwingnut posted:

It's just 3 yeah, I think this next one is going all the way up to The Event.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t follow this at all

Most of your time in FF16 is spent following the story and watching cutscenes, which are much slower paced. If you ignore random battles and optional fights, there isn't all that much action in the game as a whole.

You don't see that many action games that take more than 10-20 hours because they usually don't have much of a story or the story is just an excuse to beat stuff up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IIRC they didn’t date ff7 they just said winter which almost certainly means 2024 or they’d have said 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
jan 2024

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

njsykora posted:

It's just 3 yeah, I think this next one is going all the way up to The Event.

the end of disc 1 event or some other?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

abelwingnut posted:

the end of disc 1 event or some other?

its gonna go all the way to the northern crater/weapon releasing event cos its the most natural point to do so with part 3 being everything after +new stuff +kiju hunt

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Starfield will be a Bethesda game. It's reductive to say "It's Oblivion in space" but, well, every game from Bethesda since Oblivion has just been that. It will likely be extremely big, extremely shallow, and will gain critical praise across the board for some reason and earn multiple GOTY awards because it feels so 'epic'.

Fallout 4---which narratively was a huge step down from even F3---didn't get a single drat award at The Game Awards, which I know doesn't mean that much but felt like a significant snub to me at the time. Times have changed and Bethesda's poo poo has more competition in the open-world / RPG space than ever before, I feel like they will never truly reach the same critical adoration they accrued from Fallout 3 / Skyrim ever again. Even if it does well it's going to be compared to Zelda/A FromSoft mech game/Baldur's Gate from the top of the heap.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Fallout 4---which narratively was a huge step down from even F3---didn't get a single drat award at The Game Awards, which I know doesn't mean that much but felt like a significant snub to me at the time. Times have changed and Bethesda's poo poo has more competition in the open-world / RPG space than ever before, I feel like they will never truly reach the same critical adoration they accrued from Fallout 3 / Skyrim ever again. Even if it does well it's going to be compared to Zelda/A FromSoft mech game/Baldur's Gate from the top of the heap.

Its gameplay additions were also more annoying than fun, some people enjoyed the base building aspect but I don't know anyone who really got invested in settlement defense. Microsoft are arguably also building a giant stick for its back by calling it "The most important RPG ever made".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I want Starfield to be good and a massive success because Bethesda makes games that activate the 'wait how is it already 4am' part of my brain like no other and I want them to keep doing that, but it's a space shooter/exploration game being released after a series of mediocre to okay games that look like slightly different versions of that. Like, sure, the gameplay loop and genre and overall structure and quality of Destiny, NMS, Prey and (lol) the Outer Worlds are completely different but there's only so many times you can shoot robots and bug aliens in space stations and on forbidden planets before it starts to feel old hat

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

DLC Inc posted:

Sure but Skyrim was released alongside Arkham City, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dark Souls. If there had been a Game Awards in 2012, who knows what result we would have seen. The fact that they're willing to backtrack on the poo poo that made Fallout 4 so disappointing gives me hope.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

abelwingnut posted:

hmm, fair. i thought ff7 and tekken 8 were coming out later this year. didn't know persona 3 was getting a rerelease, so that's fun.

still, that seems waaaaaay more normal than this year. not exactly a dearth, but...normalish. maybe a slight dip. still plenty of time for new games to be announced, so yea.

Yeah that list I provided is heavily more on the first half of this year. We could see a whole bunch of stuff announced for second half 2024. Ever since cyberpunk/covid, companies are a lot more careful about giving us dates until they're more reasonably able to estimate.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ineffiable posted:

Tekken 8, persona 3 reload, home world 3, black myth wukong, FINAL loving FANTASY 7 REBIRTH, LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH, Rise of the Ronin, Stalker 2, maybe hollow knight silksong?

Dude there's a lot to be excited for.

I see you trying to slip that vaporware in

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Silksong is never coming out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Volte posted:

If there had been a Game Awards in 2012, who knows what result we would have seen.

The show that The Game Awards replaced, the Spike VGAs were on in 2012 though Keighley wasn't presenting them yet because better options were available. The Walking Dead won Game of the Year. Mass Effect won Best RPG. Claptrap won Best Character and Borderlands 2 won Best Shooter which should tell you where we were back then. Journey did win Best PS3 Game though.

Also the voice actor awards were weirdly named so we got "Best Performance By A Human Female".

Also jesus christ this Wikipedia summary is a time capsule.

quote:

The 2012 VGAs (promoted as VGA 10 for the tenth anniversary) was held on December 7, 2012, at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. Samuel L. Jackson returned to host for a fourth time. This was the last year under the name "Spike Video Game Awards". For the first time, the awards were broadcast on Xbox Live. Live users could "play" the show as it aired live. Responses to poll questions were tabulated in real time on screen for the Xbox Live audience and users with Xbox SmartGlass devices got a unique second-screen experience that updated in real time alongside the show content. Additionally, Spike TV and Entertainment Weekly partnered to create the first-ever "Entertainment Weekly and Spike VGA Best Game of the Decade" award. Exclusive world premieres that debuted at VGA 10 include Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, Epic Games' Gears of War: Judgment, Obsidian Entertainment's South Park: The Stick of Truth, Konami's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Irrational Games' BioShock Infinite, Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington, and 343 Industries' Halo 4: Spartan Ops. Two new games were announced, including Dark Souls II by FromSoftware, and a new game called The Phantom Pain (later revealed to be Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain). The event also had appearances from all past hosts of the VGAs except David Spade. The event featured musical performances by Linkin Park, Tenacious D, Gustavo Santaolalla and Wolfgang Gartner.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

njsykora posted:

The show that The Game Awards replaced, the Spike VGAs were on in 2012 though Keighley wasn't presenting them yet because better options were available. The Walking Dead won Game of the Year. Mass Effect won Best RPG. Claptrap won Best Character and Borderlands 2 won Best Shooter which should tell you where we were back then. Journey did win Best PS3 Game though.

claptrap best character lol, try that today when Forspoken was crucified before release for their dialogue.

Walking Dead winning GOTY seems like a testament to the releases available. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but a point and click adventure game winning GOTY seems like an anomaly.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Claptrap is still the best :colbert:
2012 was such a great game for video games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I thought you guys were talking about what will be the best game not what will win the best game award lol c'mon that poo poo is just as bad as the Oscars

Volte posted:

Sure but Skyrim was released alongside Arkham City, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Gears of War 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dark Souls. If there had been a Game Awards in 2012, who knows what result we would have seen. The fact that they're willing to backtrack on the poo poo that made Fallout 4 so disappointing gives me hope.

I will forever contest that Fallout 4 is a step down from 3. I'm replaying 3 right now via the TTW mod and it really is the weird mix of all the weaknesses of both Oblivion and 4 and almost none of their strengths. The fact that 4 is the first Bethesda game with almost-good combat is honestly shocking

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
TTW rules (though I did mod it into a fairly hardcore survival game)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ineffiable posted:

Tekken 8, persona 3 reload, home world 3, black myth wukong, FINAL loving FANTASY 7 REBIRTH, LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH, Rise of the Ronin, Stalker 2, maybe hollow knight silksong?

Dude there's a lot to be excited for.

Rise of the Ronin, Ultros, The Plucky Squire, Skate Story, Anger Foot, Stalker 2, Pragmata, Arc Raiders, Pacific Drive, Thank Goodness You're Here!, Little Devil Inside, Dragon's Dogma II, Factions II

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Fallout 4 is my favourite Bethesda game. The most fun of all to move around and shoot, but also the most robust modding template. Never get crashes with that compared to Skyrim, F3 and FNV.

Also the Game Awards 2011 Stephen Merchant won best voice over JK Simmons, Nolan North and Mark Hamill :D PLUS Portal 2 won best Multiplayer over Call of Duty Modern Warefare 3 and best PC game over Skyrim (which was best game overall)

2011!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Armored Core Day!

See you in 12 hours!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought you guys were talking about what will be the best game not what will win the best game award lol c'mon that poo poo is just as bad as the Oscars

I will forever contest that Fallout 4 is a step down from 3. I'm replaying 3 right now via the TTW mod and it really is the weird mix of all the weaknesses of both Oblivion and 4 and almost none of their strengths. The fact that 4 is the first Bethesda game with almost-good combat is honestly shocking
Fallout 4 has merit as a looter shooter, I actually think the combat is pretty good and as a pure action game it's not bad, but as a Fallout game it's not good. The classic Fallout RPG systems were butchered into unrecognizability, the complexity of the dialogue trees was extremely limited due to being fully voiced, the player's in-game choices basically just determined which factions were hostile and which ones weren't at the end of the game, and to top it all off, I thought the quests and the environment just kind of sucked. It felt like they leaned too hard into making the map a GTA-style representation of a city as opposed to actually making a fun map to explore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Radio Games Forum posted:

Fallout 4 is my favourite Bethesda game. The most fun of all to move around and shoot, but also the most robust modding template. Never get crashes with that compared to Skyrim, F3 and FNV.

Also the Game Awards 2011 Stephen Merchant won best voice over JK Simmons, Nolan North and Mark Hamill :D PLUS Portal 2 won best Multiplayer over Call of Duty Modern Warefare 3 and best PC game over Skyrim (which was best game overall)

2011!!

I put 100 hours into the game, and enjoyed it (not without some caveats).

And then when the survival mode came out, I put another 100 hours in and loved it even more.

(Never finished it)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Happy Armored Core Day!

See you in 12 hours!

This is how I know I am unwell at the moment.
I really hope there is a demo of some kind so I can see what this is like actually playing it because I still do not feel anything.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

There's no demo but you could ask a goon here to SharePlay it with you so you can get a taste.

That said there's nothing wrong with not being interested in every game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

njsykora posted:

Also the voice actor awards were weirdly named so we got "Best Performance By A Human Female".

Also jesus christ this Wikipedia summary is a time capsule.
I meant 2011 awards, I was thinking the year's show was for the previous year's games but that's not how it works. Skyrim did win GOTY at the 2011 Spike awards (and Best RPG), although having just come out under a month before the awards could have added a bit of recency bias. Who knows if it would still have won Game of the Year if it had come out in January. But then again Starfield will have nearly the same advantage this year, assuming it doesn't get pummelled into oblivion by a botched launch.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 24, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is how I know I am unwell at the moment.
I really hope there is a demo of some kind so I can see what this is like actually playing it because I still do not feel anything.

the world is a dead place and your body is made of metal, you're not supposed to feel anything

everything is fine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM1MzSzMus8

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Volte posted:

The classic Fallout RPG systems were butchered into unrecognizability, the complexity of the dialogue trees was extremely limited due to being fully voiced, the player's in-game choices basically just determined which factions were hostile and which ones weren't at the end of the game, and to top it all off, I thought the quests and the environment just kind of sucked. It felt like they leaned too hard into making the map a GTA-style representation of a city as opposed to actually making a fun map to explore.

I don't disagree but every one of these criticisms could also perfectly describe 3 and that game doesn't even have the crutch of fun combat, good companions and minecraft-lite to otherwise occupy your time

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Rise of the Ronin, Ultros, The Plucky Squire, Skate Story, Anger Foot, Stalker 2, Pragmata, Arc Raiders, Pacific Drive, Thank Goodness You're Here!, Little Devil Inside, Dragon's Dogma II, Factions II

bows1 posted:

I see you trying to slip that vaporware in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't disagree but every one of these criticisms could also perfectly describe 3 and that game doesn't even have the crutch of fun combat, good companions and minecraft-lite to otherwise occupy your time
I also think 3 kind of sucked but at least the RPG systems were better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Volte posted:

I also think 3 kind of sucked but at least the RPG systems were better.

The average Fallout 3 skill check

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I still do not feel anything.

Eh, you're not the only one. Just doesn't excite me even though from all accounts it's a good game. The bland, gray industrial aesthetic is offputting imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

3 has a very different atmosphere --- I think 4 sometimes feels a bit too lighthearted or, idk, optimistic? Like the vibe is off from what I nebulously consider Fallout.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wolfsheim posted:

The average Fallout 3 skill check

Fallout 4 doesn't even have skill checks so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Being able to choose a different dialogue path because a particular skill is high enough is great, even if the specific lines aren't well written. Being able to help disarm a bomb because my Explosives skill is high enough or whatever makes me feel like my choices mattered in unanticipated ways (generally important in role-playing games), even if only in small minute-to-minute ways. In Fallout 4 the only reason I'd level a skill is because I want whatever perk it says on the index card.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 24, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volte posted:

Fallout 4 doesn't even have skill checks so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Being able to choose a something different dialogue path because a particular skill is high enough is great, even if the specific lines aren't well written. Being able to help disarm a bomb because my Explosives skill is high enough or whatever makes me feel like my choices mattered, even if only in small minute-to-minute ways. In Fallout 4 the only reason I'd level a skill is because I want whatever perk it says on the index card.

Fallout 4 does have skill checks though. They just didn't mark them and they overwrite existing dialogue choices so it's not instantly clear the are the result of those checks so it feels less special even if you get one.

It felt like they were trying to solve the "I have a skill option check so I instantly slam-pick that no matter what" problem but it wasn't the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Eh, you're not the only one. Just doesn't excite me even though from all accounts it's a good game. The bland, gray industrial aesthetic is offputting imo.

You'll never pass the pilot's test with that attitude :colbert: