Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My reputation was so high that the guy didn't ask me to do anything except get out.

I fed Imoen one of the Master Thief potions, turned her invisible twice and she got both items, although I thought the guy was going to do something to resolve the feud instead of just shrugging. Oh well, a Cloak of Non-Detection is pretty good. I was supposed to have gotten one from an enemy on the Cloakwood forest, but I think because I used a Fear Wand on the group and they scattered that the one I was supposed to kill got away, or was killed and I didn't find the body.

Is Dispel Magic the only spell to remove or prevent Confusion? That's my new most obnoxious spell to deal with.

The spell Chaotic Commands prevents confusion, but doesn't do anything after the fact.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chaotic commands comes so late in BG it's hard to call a solution.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In this case mage specific disables like silence or summon insects or general disables like hold person or anything in the charm line.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are single-target solutions, namely the priest of tyr's special ability, and the sword coast stratagems mod adds Exaltation from icewind dale (a level 3 priest spell). So uhhh, yeah not super helpful

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Potion of clarity prevents it, I think? Not sure for how long and I don't think there are a lot of those available, though.

Edit: wiki says five turns, and there's maybe two of them in the game, so not a great solution

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My reputation was so high that the guy didn't ask me to do anything except get out.

I fed Imoen one of the Master Thief potions, turned her invisible twice and she got both items, although I thought the guy was going to do something to resolve the feud instead of just shrugging. Oh well, a Cloak of Non-Detection is pretty good. I was supposed to have gotten one from an enemy on the Cloakwood forest, but I think because I used a Fear Wand on the group and they scattered that the one I was supposed to kill got away, or was killed and I didn't find the body.

Is Dispel Magic the only spell to remove or prevent Confusion? That's my new most obnoxious spell to deal with.
EDIT: Dispel Magic does not, in fact dispel Confusion. Of course not.

Chaotic Commands works, but it's single target only and higher level I think.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oops, I guess I screwed myself out of the Merchant League side quest thing, because I killed the boss man in Cloakwood. (I thought that he killed the druid and I didn't think asking for a peaceful resolution would have worked so I never attempted it.) Oh well.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
If you ask for a peaceful solution the druid just attacks you

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

If you ask for a peaceful solution the druid just attacks you

Unless you (a) have the BG1 NPC Project mod installed and (b) have Jaheira in your party

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Wow that’s a lot of multiclasses to split your xp between

Yeah I figured it would add a bit to the challenge, I have a bunch of quest mods so will probably end up overlevelled regardless.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Aldeth did nothing wrong, gently caress that spider-infested forest

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm doing my first serious attempt at playing a Fighter/Mage (multiclass), but man the cool defensive buffs have such a slight duration. I reached level 7 and Stoneskin, and thought I had it made, but nah 1 cast is just 3 skins I think, my mirror image is still just 10 rounds (one minute), and blur is 18 rounds (under two minutes). So they all last about one fight each. As someone who for RP reasons likes to keep resting to a minimum, god how I wish the buffs had a higher base duration.

Not angry, just disappointed. Back to archery and wanding i go

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Blindness still effective in SoA? I'm just trying to get a spell list together in case my friend decides they want to play a sorcerer/mage with me when I get to BG2.

I do love that this game has such an audience is that if you ask for an ideal spell list you'll get like a dozen or so different lists with a few overlaps.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Is Blindness still effective in SoA? I'm just trying to get a spell list together in case my friend decides they want to play a sorcerer/mage with me when I get to BG2.

I do love that this game has such an audience is that if you ask for an ideal spell list you'll get like a dozen or so different lists with a few overlaps.

Blindness has a straight-up save vs. spell throw on it, so it will be less and less useful as your foes become more dangerous. Honestly the first-level spell list for sorcerers doesn't matter that much, throwing Blindness in there won't be a deal-breaker. I think I would still want Sleep, even though it becomes obsolete (and ineffective) in BG2. Like for maximum usage maybe magic missile, chromatic :orb:, maybe sleep or identify (and identify will become obsolete too) and then whatever strikes your fancy. Well, not find familiar, but you know.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm doing my first serious attempt at playing a Fighter/Mage (multiclass), but man the cool defensive buffs have such a slight duration. I reached level 7 and Stoneskin, and thought I had it made, but nah 1 cast is just 3 skins I think, my mirror image is still just 10 rounds (one minute), and blur is 18 rounds (under two minutes). So they all last about one fight each. As someone who for RP reasons likes to keep resting to a minimum, god how I wish the buffs had a higher base duration.

Fighter/mages don't become tanks until higher levels, but at lower levels yeah you're a damage dealer who can toss out disables and crowd controls. And use wands of course.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rappaport posted:

Blindness has a straight-up save vs. spell throw on it, so it will be less and less useful as your foes become more dangerous. Honestly the first-level spell list for sorcerers doesn't matter that much, throwing Blindness in there won't be a deal-breaker. I think I would still want Sleep, even though it becomes obsolete (and ineffective) in BG2. Like for maximum usage maybe magic missile, chromatic :orb:, maybe sleep or identify (and identify will become obsolete too) and then whatever strikes your fancy. Well, not find familiar, but you know.

Spook is a good choice for a level 1 spell. Only hits one target but casts with a saving throw penalty that gets up to -6 at higher levels.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That does sound pretty nice! And conversely there's a window where :orb: isn't exactly the best spell around. The general point, I guess, is that by the time of BG2 you want your spellslingers to use their bigger shots first, and only stuff like magic missile remains relevant all throughout since that still theoretically shuts things down and casts near-instantly. So level 1 spells aren't a deal-breaker. Of course one could just pick find familiar, infravision, armor, and stuff like that and gimp themselves, but one spell out of five being more or less useless mid-BG2 won't invalidate a character's usability.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Potion of clarity prevents it, I think? Not sure for how long and I don't think there are a lot of those available, though.

Edit: wiki says five turns, and there's maybe two of them in the game, so not a great solution

50 rounds are enough to kill every mage in the city that uses confusion if you don't get sidetracked. Marek, crazy ogre gauntlet lady, baby curser, the 5 ogre mages, I'm probably forgetting one.

But yes, potions of clarity are stupid rare.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

If you want the same kind of vibe but want buffs that last longer you could try a Blade. Bards level up so fast that their defensive spells last long and become powerful pretty early.

The downside is they will not be as offensively adept as a Fighter/Mage, lacking the melee capabilities and level 7+ spells. They are the best mage tanks in the game though thanks to how fast they level.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a thread to commiserate about Pillars of Eternity, or is that also kosher in here? I'm doing another playthrough of PoE1 at the moment.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Is there a thread to commiserate about Pillars of Eternity, or is that also kosher in here? I'm doing another playthrough of PoE1 at the moment.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856099

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best time to post there as we just got done with the quarterly RTwP vs Turn-Based garbage so it'll be a while before another derail happens.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks, I decided to spin up Pillars of Eternity again since the last dungeon in PF: Kingmaker was so loving bad. I was gonna go straight to Wrath of the Righteous, but honestly I need a break from Pathfinder after spending 120 hours in Kingmaker.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Suspicious posted:

50 rounds are enough to kill every mage in the city that uses confusion if you don't get sidetracked. Marek, crazy ogre gauntlet lady, baby curser, the 5 ogre mages, I'm probably forgetting one.

But yes, potions of clarity are stupid rare.

Yeah, you're forgetting at least one. It's the pile of bosses of the Iron Throne.

What's the best way to cheat in a couple dozen potions of clarity? It'd be one thing if it was something I could counter with preparation, choosing the right spells. But from what I am hearing people say, there's just literally nothing I can do except lose total control of my party and watch them attack each other and be otherwise useless. This is obnoxious. Cheating in potions seems fair.

EDIT:
I've got some Hold Person and Charm Person scrolls. I have "Dire Charm" in my spellbook, but not prepared. I also have a Wand of Polymorph. I have Dispel Magic and Destroy magic prepared, although I don't think Dispel does anything against Confusion. My Priest has Silence prepared, Chant prepared, Aid prepared. I've got some potions, but only the one potion of Clarity. I talked my way up so I'm at full HP.

...I have some Protection from Evil scrolls.

EDIT 2: Okay, I used Protection from Evil to boost my Saving throws, bought some extra magic resistance potions of some kind to also boost saving throws, used my own Confusion spell and Fear Wand and Stinking Cloud to mess them up and tossed in a few fireballs. That cleaned them up.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 25, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Devorum posted:

D2 Necro is good, but EverQuest Necro is, and will always be, the goat.

I played a druid, but got tired of being useless. I switched to bard and everyone loved me. Then, in later years, I played an enchanter... long after they were no longer incredibly useful.

Jay Rust posted:

As someone who for RP reasons likes to keep resting to a minimum

Same, but the game punishes that approach. Doing what you are doing is nothing short of brave.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 25, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

landing in this thread because I've got an idiotic problem and I can't figure out what to do about it

so I've been playing BG1 and 2 because I've been trying to get through them since like 2001, but would inevitably run out of hard drive space or lose track of what I was doing and not play for a year or two or build a new computer and lose my save files, etc

and I'm into BG2 and I'm extremely stuck.

the main questline right now has me doing scutwork for the thieves' guild in order to get them into gear to help me mount a rescue of my incarcerated party member, and the task I've been told to do is to meet up with someone on the docks - Mook. I've read the wiki, I know what's about to happen, but the problem is that no matter what I do, Mook won't appear. It's night time. I'm at the dock. I've gone to a different part of town and come back. I've hosed off out of town entirely and come back another night. Mook just refuses to show up to let me advance the plot.

and I have no idea what might have gone wrong that could cause this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Assuming you've looked up where Mook spawns and she isn't there, sounds like a weird bug. Enable the console (if it isn't already) and spawn her in at the correct location. Talking to her should kick off the rest of the event.

Hit ctrl+space and type (case sensitive):

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("MOOK")

Not actually sure which is the correct creature file for her but itll be one of these:

MOOK
MOOK02
MOOKFT01
MOOKFT02

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

hexwren posted:

landing in this thread because I've got an idiotic problem and I can't figure out what to do about it

so I've been playing BG1 and 2 because I've been trying to get through them since like 2001, but would inevitably run out of hard drive space or lose track of what I was doing and not play for a year or two or build a new computer and lose my save files, etc

and I'm into BG2 and I'm extremely stuck.

the main questline right now has me doing scutwork for the thieves' guild in order to get them into gear to help me mount a rescue of my incarcerated party member, and the task I've been told to do is to meet up with someone on the docks - Mook. I've read the wiki, I know what's about to happen, but the problem is that no matter what I do, Mook won't appear. It's night time. I'm at the dock. I've gone to a different part of town and come back. I've hosed off out of town entirely and come back another night. Mook just refuses to show up to let me advance the plot.

and I have no idea what might have gone wrong that could cause this.

I had this bug too , way back when

I had to reload an earlier save from before I had loaded
the map

I only remember this now because you mention it

Reminds me of the first game on release where it would crash on a dream scene if you were a paladin - you couldn’t progress the game until it was patched

And this of course was back when you had to juggle discs and your PC could just be broken or whatever. Who knew. 1998 how I miss you

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I ended up enabling the console and spawning her in, because I've been back and forth from this map so often already (doing the whole mae'var plot, amongst other stuff) that trying to find where to start over from would mean replaying a whole lot of quests, if I could even find an early enough save without essentially starting the entire game over

interestingly, spawning her and running the scene actually caused a brief CGI cutscene of the sun going down over the town and then her actually appearing for real (so I got to do it again), which makes me wonder if I was supposed to wait for sunset in a different manner beyond just showing up on that map at that time

this game lacking a wait button vexes me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
We did not have the technology to "wait" in the 1990s

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

We did not have the technology to "wait" in the 1990s

:colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2nd edition AD&D didn't have rules for waiting for anything other than eight hours increments

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yeah but that was a totally different dev studio. nothing to do with the infinity engine games at all. bioware had to figure it all out themselves.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

yeah but that was a totally different dev studio. nothing to do with the infinity engine games at all. bioware had to figure it all out themselves.

Yeah I know, but the technology was there, which was the original argument :science:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Yeah I know, but the technology was there, which was the original argument :science:

the joke is that the first two fallout games were done by black isle, who worked quite closely with bioware on baldur's gate and did torment/icewind dale.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The sunset cutscene is meant to play automatically if you're outside at sunset. Definitely sounds like a bug if it triggered when you talked to the spawned-in Mook.

There's no wait feature, but resting skips forward eight hours. And if you've got the console enabled you can hold ctrl+T to advance time really quickly.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It's been a long time since I've played.

In BG 2 EE, if an AI companion script starts casting a spell, how do I know which spell they are in the middle of casting? It doesn't show up in the log.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Icon should show up on top of their portrait on the right

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

the joke is that the first two fallout games were done by black isle, who worked quite closely with bioware on baldur's gate and did torment/icewind dale.

:eng99: I apologize.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you asked me today and I couldn't look up the answer I would have told you the infinite engine has a wait even though I have distinct memories of needing to use inn rooms to manage quest people spawning at certain times.

FO, IE, Arcanum, all have their functionality scrambled in my brain I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Icon should show up on top of their portrait on the right

It shows up when I cast the spell manually but doesn't when the AI chooses to cast. Weapons show up fine. Could it be a bug?