Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the solution was just "you don't get split-screen co-op on Series S" then? That kinda defeats the point of the whole 'parity between skus" thing but I guess it's better than not having anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mighty Swen brings the cowardly Phil to heel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m sure the 17 people who were excited to couch co-op BG3 on their Series S are furious.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ImpAtom posted:

So the solution was just "you don't get split-screen co-op on Series S" then? That kinda defeats the point of the whole 'parity between skus" thing but I guess it's better than not having anything at all.

There's never been a parity. S is for Suck.
There's always been worse textures, smaller resolutions and no Ray Tracing stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it doesn’t even have a disk drive

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Issaries posted:

There's always been worse textures, smaller resolutions and no Ray Tracing stuff.

The solution is to fire the lazy devs, and/or encourage crunch time, no pay, toxic workplaces, etc

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

They need to be willing to give up parity if they want the x to have a long lifespan. At least as long as modern AAA development keeps getting more bloated and resource intensive, which I don't see stopping anytime soon, even as time tested franchises struggle to get 1.5 games per console gen or come.close to skipping one entirely.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 24, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Muh parity :qq:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ImpAtom posted:

That's a pretty big precedent that has been set now.

That's why you should always go for the more expensive option, whatever it is. Life lesson.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Series S has the wrong RAM

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

phil turning off the 4k textures

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

I’m sure the 17 people who were excited to couch co-op BG3 on their Series S are furious.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Forza Motorsport is also not going to have splitscreen.

Phil Spencer posted:

Forza Motorsport was never going to have splitscreen. That's just a decision the team made based on usage. We see how many people play in splitscreen and just decided to put our dev effort where people are actually playing.

I'd love to see the usage stats for features like this. I'm sure they vary from game to game; IMO it makes sense for fast, easy to pick up multiplayer games where people can get into the action immediately, like FPS or racing. I'm curious about ones that have long campaign/story modes, like Borderlands 3 or the Divinity: Original Sin games, where investment is required over multiple sessions.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The more expensive product can outperform the budget product :qq: MicroSuck

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Issaries posted:

Oh, I know, but this is the first example I can think of where a gameplay feature is being flat-out cut, which is probably not good for people who bought an S expecting "I can play the same games just maybe not as good looking."

ErrEff posted:

Forza Motorsport is also not going to have splitscreen.

I'd love to see the usage stats for features like this. I'm sure they vary from game to game; IMO it makes sense for fast, easy to pick up multiplayer games where people can get into the action immediately, like FPS or racing. I'm curious about ones that have long campaign/story modes, like Borderlands 3 or the Divinity: Original Sin games, where investment is required over multiple sessions.

Two of my friends are a married couple who are doing couch co-op together in BG3 and are really enjoying it together. It's actually a really good co-op game for that kind of stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Split screen made sense for like Project Gotham but Forza Motorsport has seemed like an odd one for that for a long time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well with the money they saved buying a series s instead of an x, they can just buy another series s and play on a second TV in the house. Or they could fix their brain damage and go trade in the lovely version of the console for the good one.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TheScott2K posted:

Project Gotham
give me a new one of these god dammit i'm gonna earn so many kudos

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They're probably going to start offering exceptions like this more due to pressure from devs. Just wondering how far it'll go, I'm imagining if they start having EA Footie have "legacy build" on Series S, or like what they did with Black Ops III on PS3/360 where it was multiplayer only with no campaign.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Phil getting owned in Stalker

https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1694756596562182233?s=20

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Todd and Phil ftmfw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can’t wait to get owned in STALKER 2 :hai:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How did that Hard Drive article go? Man Demands more coach co-op in case he ever has real life friends to game with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I can’t wait to get owned in STALKER 2 :hai:

*tosses a bolt, takes one step, repeats*

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

butt dickus posted:

give me a new one of these god dammit i'm gonna earn so many kudos

RIP Bizarre. Even their failures were at least fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Series poo poo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BG3 is too soon there's too many games :negative:

Disposable Scud posted:

RIP Bizarre. Even their failures were at least fun.

A lot of ex-Bizarre devs are part of Playground Games, along with ex-Criterion and ex-Codemasters devs. It's why there's a lot of familiar gameplay elements e.g. Forza Horizon essentially having the kudos system from PGR.

I think they have two teams now since one is making that new Fable game with Richard Ayoade and the other team is presumably getting to grips with the new Forza engine since the new Forza Motorsport game dropping in October (I think?) looks really good, and PG are going to need to modify it to suit open world games for the Horizon series. Kinda wish they'd do a scaled-down city game though so the map's not as large but it's much denser and really leans hard into the PGR style since their games always have city areas but they're small sections of much larger maps.

It is time for a Forza Horizon game set in Japan :hai:

Hong Kong would be really cool as well come to think of it, since it wouldn't be as unusual having Fujumi Kaido-style mountain roads around the city outskirts.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

phil turning off the 4k textures

Lol

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't blame the devs at all. They deserve an apology for having to try to make their pride and joy, their new baby try to work on the lovely series s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't blame the devs at all. They deserve an apology for having to try to make their pride and joy, their new baby try to work on the lovely series s.

You have to understand that most of this thread cannot comprehend the idea that Microsoft could ever make a bad decision

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Microsoft: Let’s make a next gen capable box that’s not 500 dollars

Gamers: You will regret this!!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
drat just forgot about the next gen capable part.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

drat just forgot about the next gen capable part.

The only next generation console is the Switch.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

You have to understand that most of this thread cannot comprehend the idea that Microsoft could ever make a bad decision

You have to understand that most of this thread is just having a good and chill time and don't take things as seriously as you think they do so maybe you should just go back to your Discord channel to cry about how people aren't making enough positive posts in the PS5 thread instead of crapping up this one you miserable console warrior dork :flipoff:

Also I forgot about this since Lords of the Fallen looks so fun and hopefully doesn't suck but this apparently owns according to people who've played the demo and it's coming to Gamepass next month so Xbox stays winning :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLptbQItyE

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The only next generation console is the Switch.

I am pumped as hell for Super Mario Wonder :3:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Put BG3 on cloud streaming so anyone with a series S can now do couch co-op, bing bong so simple

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

You have to understand that most of this thread is just having a good and chill time and don't take things as seriously as you think they do so maybe you should just go back to your Discord channel to cry about how people aren't making enough positive posts in the PS5 thread instead of crapping up this one you miserable console warrior dork :flipoff:

Nice meltdown

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

webmeister posted:

Put BG3 on cloud streaming so anyone with a series S can now do couch co-op, bing bong so simple

This is exactly what I was thinking, it's not the most elegant solution, but it seems a solution if your bandwidth is fine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Series S owns and I'll get Baldur's Gate 3 on PC, PS5 and play on Series S without co-op and enjoy all my platforms. Wild take but here we are.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Age of Empires 4 on the Series X is absolutely great fun. Loving the campaigns, just the right level of challenge. It's even more enjoyable than AOE2 for console play at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I agree, it's way better than AOE2. Looks and controls great with a controller.