Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

causticBeet posted:

Is there anyway to make the “roasted” food or whatever it is that will stack in your meal slot? I’ve tried dropping it in a fire and lighting one next to it with no luck.

How long did you let them sit next to the fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Spanish Manlove posted:

How long did you let them sit next to the fire?

I guess not long enough! I’ll try again Ty

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

causticBeet posted:

Is there anyway to make the “roasted” food or whatever it is that will stack in your meal slot? I’ve tried dropping it in a fire and lighting one next to it with no luck.

Go to Death Mountain, pick any cave, and drop it on the ground. Less finicky. Just don't cook yourself!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Docjowles posted:

"Kill them from behind with a blade to chop off their tails" sounds like the most 1990s made up GameFAQs rumor poo poo ever. But this game is also so insane that I could believe they coded it that way
It's how it works in Dark Souls. :shrug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Picayune posted:

It seemed like every time I blinked I would have well over a hundred bokoblin fangs and other similar low-level drops in my inventory, so I'd do sweeps through my pockets and sell seventy-five percent of my low-level monster drops and get thousands of rupees. Things like bokoblin fangs aren't really used for anything besides maybe the first level of improving outfits I don't care about and/or had already improved.

Yeah I should do that. I’m still in BOTW mode saving such stuff for bike fuel. :v:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm about to finish the game and it's really good and I have been enjoying myself but I want to whine about a few things:

Korok Forest was mega underwhelming. I wasn't a fan of its implementation in BotW as much either so I was hoping apropos of nothing that they were gonna do something different with it. What we got here seemed like an afterthought. The fight under the Deku tree was neat but was so one-note that it felt like the entire purpose was just to change the fog color from purple back to bluegreen.

Why not clear out some of the impenetrable fog and give those lil' guys something novel. Like a new settlement with cute Korok houses up by the apple orchard that you help with? They're super playful so maybe a little Korok carnival or festival? I dunno.

Similarly I was hoping that the dungeons would've been integrated into the world/lore/themes a bit better. The Wind temple was the closest to doing this, and the Fire temple hinted at it with the whole "lost Goron city" thing, but it didn't really hit because nothing about the place felt at all like it was once a large forgotten city.

With just a little added set dressing they could've made players feel like they were exploring a storied locale rather than another shrine-esque challenge zone.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm about to finish the game and it's really good and I have been enjoying myself but I want to whine about a few things:

Korok Forest was mega underwhelming. I wasn't a fan of its implementation in BotW as much either so I was hoping apropos of nothing that they were gonna do something different with it. What we got here seemed like an afterthought. The fight under the Deku tree was neat but was so one-note that it felt like the entire purpose was just to change the fog color from purple back to bluegreen.

Why not clear out some of the impenetrable fog and give those lil' guys something novel. Like a new settlement with cute Korok houses up by the apple orchard that you help with? They're super playful so maybe a little Korok carnival or festival? I dunno.

Similarly I was hoping that the dungeons would've been integrated into the world/lore/themes a bit better. The Wind temple was the closest to doing this, and the Fire temple hinted at it with the whole "lost Goron city" thing, but it didn't really hit because nothing about the place felt at all like it was once a large forgotten city.

With just a little added set dressing they could've made players feel like they were exploring a storied locale rather than another shrine-esque challenge zone.

Right. Would've loved to know the story of the great Gerudo Pharaohess the Lightning Temple was built to bury. It doesn't have to be deep, it can be the Saturday morning cartoon version of the story, but i'd like *something.*

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I definitely wouldn’t mind if the map in the next game were a little smaller in exchange for fleshing it out more, in ways similar to what y’all are proposing

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Right. Would've loved to know the story of the great Gerudo Pharaohess the Lightning Temple was built to bury. It doesn't have to be deep, it can be the Saturday morning cartoon version of the story, but i'd like *something.*

They have 8 statues of 8 different important gerudo figures, one tomb built for another gerudo figure, an ancient underground prison, a hidden hole in the wall that can only be opened with the inherited power of a gerudo chief, multiple bottomless pits near the highlands, and they still put the temple in the middle of nowhere instead of expanding on any of that. :iiam:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Another thing about the temples: if they've been taken over by Ganon's monsters, then why are all the enemies the robot dudes (with a couple Gibdos in the Lightning Temple I guess?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Another thing about the temples: if they've been taken over by Ganon's monsters, then why are all the enemies the robot dudes (with a couple Gibdos in the Lightning Temple I guess?

I'm assuming that it is like Calamity Gannon with the Guardians- many have been taken over. Or some might be malfunctioning after 10k years or whatever it's been and have gone into "protect this area" mode. I'm assuming the former but yeah it's not even glossed over with any kind of explanation whatsoever.

I just realized I'm less than 40 shrines away from completing all of them. At the same time, I've barely completed any of the Korok friend reunions. There is SO MUCH STUFF in this game.

I've gotten to the point where I'm just trying things out for completion; I know at this point I can finish the game but there is a ton of side quests I've barely done (Still haven't even finished the Team Cici or Team whats his name quest). In fact I realized I barely have done any of the newspaper quests about the princess so I've been trying to get those finished- the only really annoying one was the Golden horse, only because I killed the ice Gleeok and then went to the Stable to rest and heal and then a blood moon happened. :v:

Actually this brings me to a question: On the newspaper quests, I'm being directed to go to the Dueling Peaks stable to find our Pelican Pal, but he's not there at all. Is there something I need to do to have him appear? I'm baffled. Also, the scene in the trailer where Link joins a bunch of people fighting the monsters in front of the last stand gates near that stable hasn't happened, even though I've kicked said monster's asses... is that coming later?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, the scene in the trailer where Link joins a bunch of people fighting the monsters in front of the last stand gates near that stable hasn't happened, even though I've kicked said monster's asses... is that coming later?

The spoilered side quest happened for me when I was just wandering around that area on the side coming from central Hyrule. Look for a group of people, one mounted. You might also find a couple tents and one person with a fire and a cooking pot, who will tell you which direction to look.

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you mean by "the last stand gates" that is. I didn't see the trailer you're talking about.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Akratic Method posted:

The spoilered side quest happened for me when I was just wandering around that area on the side coming from central Hyrule. Look for a group of people, one mounted. You might also find a couple tents and one person with a fire and a cooking pot, who will tell you which direction to look.

Assuming I'm correctly understanding what you mean by "the last stand gates" that is. I didn't see the trailer you're talking about.

Ah the gates near the Dueling Peaks where in BOTW there were a ton of dead Guardians. On the other side of the gate is a cabin with a doctor who's been studying the Calamaty.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Never played BOTW, but I don't think I'm thinking of the right place as there's no cabin.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Actually this brings me to a question: On the newspaper quests, I'm being directed to go to the Dueling Peaks stable to find our Pelican Pal, but he's not there at all. Is there something I need to do to have him appear? I'm baffled. Also, the scene in the trailer where Link joins a bunch of people fighting the monsters in front of the last stand gates near that stable hasn't happened, even though I've kicked said monster's asses... is that coming later?

Penn's there. You're just forgetting the most important rule in gaming

look up

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, the scene in the trailer where Link joins a bunch of people fighting the monsters in front of the last stand gates near that stable hasn't happened, even though I've kicked said monster's asses... is that coming later?

You need to help that same group clear a monster camp in the middle of Hyrule Field (just south of the chasm where you follow Robby) before they show up near the other spot. Although

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you can, do/redo those quests with the Master Sword equipped for some extra dialogue.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you can, do/redo those quests with the Master Sword equipped for some extra dialogue.

I got the Master Sword really early and then later did the Dragon's Tears quests afterwards. :sweatdrop:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got the Master Sword really early and then later did the Dragon's Tears quests afterwards. :sweatdrop:

Same. I snuck into the korok forest early and saved the deku tree to get the location hint. Never knew what was really going on with the swords hiding place till much much later, wow what a revelation that was.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 24, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After I did the tears quest, they have a cutscene showing the location of the thing I was looking for, so I just warped to the nearest sky Island and glided right to it. I always wondered why people had trouble getting to it, they show you exactly where its current location is

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

After I did the tears quest, they have a cutscene showing the location of the thing I was looking for, so I just warped to the nearest sky Island and glided right to it. I always wondered why people had trouble getting to it, they show you exactly where its current location is

It’s not the location but the altitude; From what I understand, the thing in question is at a significant altitude that’s hard to get to until you either finish the Tears quest or save the Deku Tree, at which point it relocates to a much more attainable altitude

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just said I got it right after doing the tears quest, McFly! McFly!!! Anyone in there!?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bawk posted:

Penn's there. You're just forgetting the most important rule in gaming

look up

lol that was a fun one

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just said I got it right after doing the tears quest, McFly! McFly!!! Anyone in there!?

I was referring to this:

quote:

I always wondered why people had trouble getting to it, they show you exactly where its current location is

Those people were probably having trouble getting to it because they were trying pre-altitude change

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I explored so much of the world through the method of "glide from the highest-altitude sky island" that I already had both an awareness of exactly where to start to get to high-altitude goals, the shrine available to teleport there immediately, and other tools to get around in the sky.

But it's possible the target already altitude lowers some when you reach end game, because I had reached the point where the Main Story Quest is just "go kill the boss".

Has anyone tried getting the Sword without doing any prerequisite quests? Like on a second playthrough when you know exactly where it is, can you just fly out there and grab it?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol that was a fun one

I think that was my favorite of all the Penn missions and it was by far my favorite questline.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.

Poque posted:

I think that was my favorite of all the Penn missions and it was by far my favorite questline.

Yeah I liked how it was a mix of puppet Zelda fuckery and complete idiocy of Hyruleans. Which points back to why the Yiga clan can keep getting recruits. Those average Hyrulean really are backwater rubes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah those quests ruled. Yiga attempting to dunk on Hylians with cartoonishly hamfisted schemes and they work

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I really wanted that talking chicken to be real

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Poque posted:

Agreed, although I have a soft spot for the one I did immediately afterwards - the chicken prophet

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

I knew immediately that it wasn't :smug:

Then I got extremely disappointed because I found a chicken in the well and thought "holy poo poo, there must actually be a talking chicken at this stable and it's this one!" before finding out that, no, this guy just fell in and needs a friend :gbsmith:

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Akratic Method posted:

Has anyone tried getting the Sword without doing any prerequisite quests? Like on a second playthrough when you know exactly where it is, can you just fly out there and grab it?
I did it when I saw the dragon near an island I was on. Just one balloon ride up and some gliding, walk to the front,... oh what's this?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think the newspaper quests might be randomized because chicken prophet must have been one of my first ones since it was the very first time I encountered the Yiga clan. I was so so mad at them for getting my hopes up, I really thought it was just going to be some more Hyrulean weirdness.

For the chicken in a well I made a contraption to rocket the chicken out of the well to be with its buddies in the pen and was disappointed that didn't work.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think the newspaper quests might be randomized because chicken prophet must have been one of my first ones since it was the very first time I encountered the Yiga clan. I was so so mad at them for getting my hopes up, I really thought it was just going to be some more Hyrulean weirdness.

For the chicken in a well I made a contraption to rocket the chicken out of the well to be with its buddies in the pen and was disappointed that didn't work.

It was the first time I encountered them too, but I hadn't even started the newspaper quest at the time, I just wandered into the stable and discovered the oracle. I was very cross about a) no prophecy and b) getting laughed at about it by oh god those dicks are back too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Coxswain Balls posted:

Doesn't Penn just hang out at any stable where there's a newspaper quest you can start? I know you can go back to headquarters to get pointed to one, but I think most of them I just started whenever I'd get to a new stable and see him standing around there.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
Yeah, I think you can do the Penn Stable Quests in any order; the headquarters just points you to one you haven't started yet.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I have finally defeated Ganon and am coming back to the thread. It took me forever because I don't have a lot of time to play games. What a satisfying boss fight and ending! I still need to find all the shrines and light up the depths. I might finish all the side quests. No way in hell am I finding all Koroks or caves, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Doesn't Penn just hang out at any stable where there's a newspaper quest you can start? I know you can go back to headquarters to get pointed to one, but I think most of them I just started whenever I'd get to a new stable and see him standing around there.

That's probably it, I wasn't 100% sure if there was a linear progression since by the time I figured it was a questline I had done a couple of them already.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

bawk posted:

Go to Death Mountain, pick any cave, and drop it on the ground. Less finicky. Just don't cook yourself!

clearly the best place to grill steaks is on Dinraal's forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coxswain Balls posted: